Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Bleeders for Type S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Bleeders for Type S...

Has anybody found a Speed Bleeder that fits the Type S calipers (I have an 07 but assume the 08 is the same)? I don't seem to find many references to folks using these around here and there is certainly nothing in reference to the Type S.

Speedbleeders.com does not list any sizes for the TL after 2006. Likewise there is no mention of the Type S. Strangely, I have left two messages asking for further info and have not heard back. They have been very good about returning calls in the past so I wonder if I should read this as an indication that the bleeders don't exist in that size. I hope not! As a rule I don't touch the breaks of car without these and mine desperately needs a bleeding...

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
just get tubing that fits over the bleeder. Its simply enough to do it without them. just remember the procedure for bleeding the brakes.

Last edited by CubanLynx84; 03-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
just get tubing that fits over the bleeder. Its simply enough to do it without them. just remember the procedure for bleeding the brakes.
I might have to do that indeed if I don't end up finding a speed bleeder that fits but for me it is not a question of simplicity (although it is faster, easier if not simpler) - I get better results with the speed bleeders. I am yet to get the same brake pedal feel using any other method and I have been doing it for years on a number of cars.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
The TL's with Brembos have a different bleeder than the single piston caliper, so I guess you'll need to find another method. Personally I'm not a big fan of speed bleeders as some have leaked no matter how tight, and with the brake system I'm not going to chance a compromise in stopping performance.
As there are many ways to bleed the system, guess you'll need to choice an alternative method. Just remember that there are 2 bleeders on each front caliper.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
SSM FTW

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you looked at other brembo brakes like the 350z? Might use the same size bleeders.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
skip the speed bleeder and get the Phoenix's "professional" brake bleeders. The one person bleeder money can buy =)

http://www.brakebleeder.com/products.../v-12-diy.html
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Azndjay
skip the speed bleeder and get the Phoenix's "professional" brake bleeders. The one person bleeder money can buy =)

http://www.brakebleeder.com/products.../v-12-diy.html
Problem with that tool is that it pushes the fluid back into the system, condensation and all. Need to get it out and filled with new fluid.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you can also suck the fluid through the gun also and out
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Problem with that tool is that it pushes the fluid back into the system, condensation and all. Need to get it out and filled with new fluid.
but if it is using new brake fluid to do the pushing there is no air and thus no condensation so i am confused from your statement
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Related reading -

Brake Fluid change (click here)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by luder917
Have you looked at other brembo brakes like the 350z? Might use the same size bleeders.
That's essentially what I was hoping for and that somebody on the forum had figured it out. It seems that the speed bleeders are not popular around here and with speedbleeder.com not responding it looks like I will need to do more research. I'll update here with the result one way or another. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Thanks! It's a long but useful thread. I had come across it while I was looking for the bleed order. Doesn't hurt to read parts of it again.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Turbonut
The TL's with Brembos have a different bleeder than the single piston caliper, so I guess you'll need to find another method. Personally I'm not a big fan of speed bleeders as some have leaked no matter how tight, and with the brake system I'm not going to chance a compromise in stopping performance.
As there are many ways to bleed the system, guess you'll need to choice an alternative method. Just remember that there are 2 bleeders on each front caliper.
I agree, there were reports of their early versions having some of these issues although I have never experienced them myself on 5 different vehicles. I suspect incorrect torquing is at the base of most of these. The addition of the thread sealant further helped resolve such issues.

I do, however, relate to the complaint about poor longevity of their rubber caps that protect the nipple of the bleeder. I have grudgingly had to replace a couple of bleeders because they jammed with dirt beyond repair. The new stainless steel (but more expensive) versions have resolved this complaint and further enhance the design.

Overall, it has been an elegant solution to a seemingly trivial problem. I am yet to find a dealer/shop that can do it right, and I only know a handful of people who have been through it all to have figured it out on their own. Most (although not all) use these bleeders.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ikata
I am yet to find a dealer/shop that can do it right, and I only know a handful of people who have been through it all to have figured it out on their own. Most (although not all) use these bleeders.
It certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to exchange fluid, but bleeding the air out of a system is more intense. Been doing it for decades and have never encountered a problem except for frozen bleeders and heat takes care of that situation.

I've never done this, but try a gravity bleed and you'll have no problems, but it certainly takes time. Get the car in the air and open up all 6 bleeder screws and let the fluid drip out, but keep the MC filled. No pumping and no way air can get into the system.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you found the answer to this? I am going down this road as well.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HiFiTLS
Have you found the answer to this? I am going down this road as well.
I did actually figure it out. I have been meaning to update the thread for the archive but didn't get a chance until now.

It turned out that all Brembo calipers use the same size bleeding screws. The rears are the same for all 3rd gen TLs. The product numbers are below. These are for the stainless steel bleeders, which I highly recommend. The regular ones are half the price (for their SKUs just remove the "-SS" at the end). I installed mine two weekends ago and all is good now. Good luck!

SB1010S-SS - front (x4)
SB10125-SS - rear (x2)