Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-spec v 330i

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 01:06 AM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thegre8tone
Read where they got the data...Hello anybody home? In case you didn't understand NHTSA, it stands for National Highway for Traffic Safety Administration...If you don't, you'll get to know it becase that's where the transmission recall will be issued from
Have you read these complaints? I searched the database and some problems were reported by the same VIN 3-4 times and some other stuff is just stupid like a driver that expected ABS and VSA to make up for his poor driving.

And other stupid crap like the headlight cutoff etc.

And the complaints are just as stupid on the BMW database too!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
Have you read these complaints? I searched the database and some problems were reported by the same VIN 3-4 times and some other stuff is just stupid like a driver that expected ABS and VSA to make up for his poor driving.

So which numbers will you believe? Not NHTSA, nor JD Powers...I guess CR reporting is the one you'll stick by...Checkout this interesting observation:

http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

Not saying CR is biased or wrong, but just read the article...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:16 AM
ZHP 4CE

Yeah, there were definitely a lot of repeats on that site. Also, most of those problems were from those ridiculous tires, not really with the TL itself.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:22 AM
TL hacker

You know what the funny part of lemon-law.com is?

on the right side of their homepage you see this:

Recent successful cases

2004 BMW 330ci
Full Buy Back, plus attorney fees

Yet... on their "best buy" list it's listed as "best coupe". Kindof an oxymoron don't you think?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLud
Yeah, there were definitely a lot of repeats on that site. Also, most of those problems were from those ridiculous tires, not really with the TL itself.
Of course all cars have problems, but just trying to disprove all those people that make simple generalization, "BMW, reliability suck", but as the JD Powers and NHTSA reports have shown, Acura isn't on top of the list...Heck, it's not even on top of BMW nor Infiniti...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Advanced

Recent successful cases

2004 BMW 330ci

Yet... on their "best buy" list it's listed as "best coupe". Kindof an oxymoron don't you think?
Does that discredit the data they got from NHTSA? I don't think so...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:31 AM
TL hacker

So which numbers will you believe? Not NHTSA, nor JD Powers...I guess CR reporting is the one you'll stick by...Checkout this interesting observation:

http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

Not saying CR is biased or wrong, but just read the article...
Allpar = Chrysler owners and enthusiats. Not exactly a reliable source.

But I trust CR more than others because they've been right in the past. For example: I know a few people who own Dodge/Chrysler Neons, including a local car club, and all you hear is the complaints on these cars. And CR has rated the Neon as a lemon for the last 5 years. Everyone I know who's owned one has hated it!

Of course allpar is going to be a little ticked off at CR!

I'd like to see a more neutral assessment of CR. One that doesn't have a brand name linked to it.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:31 AM
ZHP 4CE

Recent successful cases

2004 BMW 330ci

Yeah, some of those cars on that "best buy" list seemed a little fishy. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. And lets not talk about that 330Ci buyback...hits a little too close to home...gotta go find some wood to knock on.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Advanced

But I trust CR more than others because they've been right in the past. For example: I know a few people who own Dodge/Chrysler Neons, including a local car club, and all you hear is the complaints on these cars. And CR has rated the Neon as a lemon for the last 5 years. Everyone I know who's owned one has hated it!
Well, like I said...Actually, you have what I said under your signature...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:37 AM
TL hacker

Does that discredit the data they got from NHTSA? I don't think so...
No but the "recent success" kind of contradicts their best buy list doesn't it? If the 330ci is a best buy, why did they go to court and win a case for a full buy back?

The bigger question is why did they advertise it on their site? Aren't people inclined to think: "So you recommend the 300ci on your best buy list and then you tell me you've just won a case for a full buy back on this very same car? I'm confused.... is it a lemon or not?"

See what I'm getting at?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Advanced

No but the "recent success" kind of contradicts their best buy list doesn't it? If the 330ci is a best buy, why did they go to court and win a case for a full buy back?

The bigger question is why did they advertise it on their site? Aren't people inclined to think: "So you recommend the 300ci on your best buy list and then you tell me you've just won a case for a full buy back on this very same car? I'm confused.... is it a lemon or not?"

See what I'm getting at?
No, but of course they're gonna show their success, they just didn't makeup that data did they? If so, they would show the 330ci on the NHTSA list if it was such an POS and easy case to win. The law firm didn't come up with the data, if so, they would put the Bimmer on there in conjunction with their little banner on the side...
Old 05-07-2004, 05:57 AM
tms
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLud
I'm guessing you don't actually have the performance package (btw it's ZHP; PP refers to the Premium Package) because it doesn't come with a 5MT. It's a 6 speed. And trust me, it is faster than a TL. I watched my friend put down a 14.15 second run in the quarter mile in his stock 330i ZHP. TL is a mid to high 14 second car.

After reading this I went in the garage and checked the car out......yes it is a 5MT......and yes it does have the PP.........BUT........I guess time got away from me.....it's a 2002! Sorry about that.....guess that shows you how much pay attention to that car! All I know I can't wait for the lease to be up and turn it in.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Racer

Have to agree that the BMW handling is the ideal. In every other way, the TL is better and a much better long term deal, especially when considering reliability and cost to maintain.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Pro

No, but of course they're gonna show their success, they just didn't makeup that data did they? If so, they would show the 330ci on the NHTSA list if it was such an POS and easy case to win. The law firm didn't come up with the data, if so, they would put the Bimmer on there in conjunction with their little banner on the side...
With regards to the 330i on the recent settlements list, any manufacturer can turn out a lemon at any time. Sometimes shit goes wrong when you are building one hundred thousand cars. That doesn't mean it still can't be a best buy.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
No, being an Accord it not the a bad compliment...But last time I checked, the Accord wasn't know for it's performance nor luxury...

Nice generalization, last time I checked JD Powers, Lexus up top...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4854302/

And Acura is above Chevrolet and below Volvo...
Here's a quote from YOUR link:

"Toyota, ranked first among companies with a full lineup of vehicles, followed by Honda and Nissan."

Depends on whose ranking your check. The biggest number of people surveyed is Consumer Reports. They put Acura TL at the top of their list of "Up Scale Sedans" and commented that it booted BMW out of first place after a seven year run.

But, you knew that.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by parabolica
I visited a local BMW dealership before I got the '04 TL and they quoted me an on the road price of $67.9K (Canadian) for a 330i speced out like a TL Navi. The dealership was very friendly but one got the feeling that they are complacent in that there is a large critical mass of BMW customers out there who are willing to pay these premium prices for the performance or prestige of owning a Beemer, so ergo there is not as much impetus to be really pushy in the sales arena. I think the BMW is a lovely car but at that price, there is a very real question of whether the premium over a TL is justified.
WTF is $67.9k in CANADIAN? Speak in real dollars so people will have a clue what you mean. What's next? People posting in pesos, yen, and pounds???
Old 05-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The Ugly American

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
WTF is $67.9k in CANADIAN? Speak in real dollars so people will have a clue what you mean. What's next? People posting in pesos, yen, and pounds???
Canadian dollars ARE real, your arrogance. People like you give Americans a bad name. With remarks like that, no wonder most of the world hates us.

Try using the currency converter on you TL's Navi- if you have a TL and if it has a Navi.

How would you like it if the writer said to you, "What do you mean AMERICAN dollar? Speak in real dollars so we Canadians will have a clue what you mean?"