Sponsored by:

Speaker Noise when audio is off??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaker Noise when audio is off??

Hey All,

My 04TL Auto w/ Navi is about 3.5 weeks new and just yesterday, I noticed some noise coming out of the speaker (buzzing/hissing noise) when I just started the car. It's pretty low, sounds like the audio system is on (even though it's OFF) but no music is coming out, just a hsssssssss . I've been noticing it everytime I'm just about to start the car (key is on position II (ON), right before ignition). Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? Are the speakers supposed to be ON when we start the car (even with audio OFF)?? The hissing noise is pretty low (not too bad), but I was just wondering if this is normal. Thanks for the help
Old 06-17-2004, 02:51 PM
TL Techy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it was in my garage and when i started the car and the audio (music/XM etc) was still off you can hear the speakers are on. I think this is due to the voice navigation n etc? They all work as one, even though the voice comes from the center speaker. Thats my guess
Old 06-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Team Anthracite

Is it coming from the center speaking only, or all speakers? It could be the NAVI sending some kind of garbage through it's line to the center channel when you start the car. The audio system can be off but its really still on to power the hands free link and the navi voice; at startup I can only really imagine the navi system sending garbage as it boots up.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it's coming from ALL speakers... (didn't really check the rear ones, but for sure it's from left and right front as well as center).
Old 06-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dannodaman
Hey All,

My 04TL Auto w/ Navi is about 3.5 weeks new and just yesterday, I noticed some noise coming out of the speaker (buzzing/hissing noise) when I just started the car. It's pretty low, sounds like the audio system is on (even though it's OFF) but no music is coming out, just a hsssssssss . I've been noticing it everytime I'm just about to start the car (key is on position II (ON), right before ignition). Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? Are the speakers supposed to be ON when we start the car (even with audio OFF)?? The hissing noise is pretty low (not too bad), but I was just wondering if this is normal. Thanks for the help

Wait a second. Those hsssssssss is before or after you crank your engine?

While putting the key from ignition I to II, due to the ULEV confirguration in 04TL, it's easy to hear this sound, from the engine bay, IMO, not the speakers...

Normal... you would hear it clearly if you roll down windows or open the door in the quiet garage or place.

Plus, after this noise stops, you could start your engine easier...
Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

I'm pretty sure it's from the speaker. I also notice this when I stop at a red light (engine on and audio off of course), and since the car itself is VERY quite, I can hear the hsssssss sound coming from the speakers (seems like the speakers are on but no audio coming out, just the hissing sound)... anyone has same experience?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea its from the speakers, i have a non navi unit, and it drives me nuts. when the car is in the on position i hear it... I just convince myself that it is the sound canceling system making the car sound quieter. I think its the HFL on standby and even though you hear it the HFL from one speaker, all of the speakers are hooked up to the same amplifier so if one needs to be on they will all be one... I dunno thats just my guess.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:15 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I noticed this and posted it last October, it depends on how sensitive your hearing is to high frequencies, some hear it, some don't becuase it is outside thier hearing range. It is from the speakers.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry, still couldn't understand...

Shut off Audio and locked myself in quiet garage. Then, opened the driver side door, and cranked to ignition II, I heard the hssssssss noise from the outside the car.

Ok, tried again, closed the door and rolled up windows, stayed closed to one of speakers, cranked to ignition II, I heard the different low sound (very low, almost cannot hear it) from the speaker.

OK, dannodaman, you're sure you hear the similar and the same level of sound/noise if you turn the key to II position whenever the doors and windows are closed or opened, right?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

rets, yes you're right. I do hear the same noise you do when the doors/windows are closed or opened (one from speakers, one from engine). The very low sound from the speakers sounds like a hissing (hsssss) to me... I observed again last night. Great! At least it doesn't sound like it's a problem. Thank you.