Sponsored by:

Sore @$$... from the seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sore @$$... from the seat

Hey guys,

I just took a little road trip on Memorial day with a buddy to go down to Chicago (from Milwaukee). It's not that long of a trip, and I have made it before in my old car ('00 Cavalier )

At any rate, the trip was horrible on the tooshie. I bought the car used, but only had 20k on it... so it was just broken in - nothing major... i dont think that the seats are wearing down..

do any of you guys take long drives and are sore after? or is it just me? it was a smooth enough ride... but the seats KILLED

do you think Acura would replace them (I have the 100k warranty) or no?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its worth a shot to have them try to replace it under warranty. Never hurts to ask. They might even good will it. Let us know how it works out (and thanks for the info, I have a trip coming up taking me from Chicago to NY this summer...Imma gonna bring a pillow! LOL! )
Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its worse in the type S cars!
The TL has stiff seats for that- sports car- feel
I always use a small pillow and there is a $15-20 "wedge seat cushion"
with tailbone cutout area for those with back pain- big help!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Really? I love the firm seats and they are generally much more comfortable over long trips. One thing though is that firmer seats are less forgiving of large wallets. If you have a relatively thick wallet you might think of removing it on longer trips.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Really? I love the firm seats and they are generally much more comfortable over long trips. One thing though is that firmer seats are less forgiving of large wallets. If you have a relatively thick wallet you might think of removing it on longer trips.
oh yeah i definatly know what you mean - it felt like i was sitting on a bowling ball...

all those 100 dollar bills in there... haha - actually, after this months payment, ill be lucky to have 2 quarters to rub together
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Taking your wallet out of your back pocket really helps. I take mine out when drive time exceeds 30 minutes.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually pretty interested in this topic with the TL... Shortly after I got my TL I got a pretty sore lower back, I didn't attribute it to the car at the time.

Today I have a hard time sitting at all, on anything... Apparently I have sciatic nerve pain.

Not sure if it's the result of the TL or not, but it hurts the most when I first get in the TL... Nobody wants sciatic nerve pain, trust me.

Another thing about the TL and why I think it caused the back and related sciatic pain... The ass bolsters are pretty tight! I am 6'0" and about 180lbs so I don't have a ginourmous ass, but both cheeks are right on the bolsters!

I noticed when I first got the car that I biased my left cheek onto the bolster because I have a wallet on the right cheek... Interesting enough, my left leg is the one screwed up from the sciatic nerve pain.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Instructor

My drivers side seat KILLS my right cheek after an hour or so. Imagine how it felt after a 14 hour ride!

My passenger seat does the same thing, but to the other cheek.

Weird.

boxstock
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onsknth
I'm actually pretty interested in this topic with the TL... Shortly after I got my TL I got a pretty sore lower back, I didn't attribute it to the car at the time.

Today I have a hard time sitting at all, on anything... Apparently I have sciatic nerve pain.

Not sure if it's the result of the TL or not, but it hurts the most when I first get in the TL... Nobody wants sciatic nerve pain, trust me.

Another thing about the TL and why I think it caused the back and related sciatic pain... The ass bolsters are pretty tight! I am 6'0" and about 180lbs so I don't have a ginourmous ass, but both cheeks are right on the bolsters!

I noticed when I first got the car that I biased my left cheek onto the bolster because I have a wallet on the right cheek... Interesting enough, my left leg is the one screwed up from the sciatic nerve pain.
ONSKNTH - are you the same ONSKNTH from the Lexus forum? I just bought a TL Type S YESTERDAY after Lexus purchased back my ES-350 and I have to say that it is much more comfortable for me (6'5", 265lbs) than the Lexus. The seats HOLD you and the positioning gives much better thigh support. Additionally, the leg room is much better. I drove the car 200 miles home from the dealership yesterday and it was a great ride.

I had two lumbar disc operations 19 years ago and 14 years ago, respectively, so I know about sciatica.

I do understand how some people may prefer a softer seat, however.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
i have been on a few 5+ hr road trips and i have been very comfortable- i'm 5'10 about 200 pounds. i do however, take out my wallet on long trips regardless of how much money is in there
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Uh guys- ask your doctor or chiro about why your wallet goes in the center console!
Sitting unlevel is what screws many backs up big time
always sit flat in the seat as it was designed,
dont sit on your wallet ever- any chair will push it against your hips and then muscle strain results and then suddenly one day out of nowhere- you blow a disc-
must have been the cars fault-
not the extreme g forces I have been applying to the tires!

Spend a few dollars on the wedge seat cushion and your back will thank you.
The other nice thing on the TL is the lumbar and butt seat warmer on the driver side (gen2) and guessing you 3rs have same. Helps relieve back pain while driving.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Sounds like your a$$ is too big for the seat to accomodate

Seriously, I don't think it's that bad. I drove from the DC area to Georgia and had no problems. I did take a break after the fifth hour of driving.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Swobro
ONSKNTH - are you the same ONSKNTH from the Lexus forum? I just bought a TL Type S YESTERDAY after Lexus purchased back my ES-350 and I have to say that it is much more comfortable for me (6'5", 265lbs) than the Lexus. The seats HOLD you and the positioning gives much better thigh support. Additionally, the leg room is much better. I drove the car 200 miles home from the dealership yesterday and it was a great ride.

I had two lumbar disc operations 19 years ago and 14 years ago, respectively, so I know about sciatica.

I do understand how some people may prefer a softer seat, however.
Yup! that's me! I screwed up signing on here, ONSKNTH should really be ONSKNHT like it is on CL which is THNKSNO backwards.

Congrats on the new TL and welcome to AZ!

You may find as I did some quirks coming from a Toyota product to a Honda product... For example, what is up with the damn automatic lighting control, or lack thereof???? Maybe this is diff on the 07, I have an 06 and hate the damn chimes!

Once you get over these minor differences, you'll be glad you sent that ES packing!

Anyway, I don't know if the sciatic nerve pain is the result of the TL or not, but it sure seems to have started when I picked up the TL late last December.

It hurts so bad sometimes that I want to naw my own leg off.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
i have been on a few 5+ hr road trips and i have been very comfortable... i do however, take out my wallet on long trips regardless of how much money is in there
I never have that problem with the wallet thickness but I keep it in either my front pockets or suit jacket (which is off when I'm in the car), so I'm never sitting on anything other than the seat.
The firmer seats are one reason I prefer Honda vehicles to other Japanese or American makes-- they really are great for longer trips-- and the TL's seats are wonderful for me.
OP fant0m_TL, try varying the height of the front and rear of the seat to see if that works better for you. I change seat and steering wheel positions if traveling for long distances, autocrossing or canyon runs.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Racer

The longest trip so far in my TL-S was about 4 hours. It should have been less than 3 but I was caught in traffic. I was very comfortable and loved the seats.

Two things. I also keep my wallet in my front pocket, and I am a big guy so I have some extra natural padding.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
My Daily Driver

I drove from WI to CO, 1048 miles in one shot, and I had no problems at all.

Try playing with the seat adjustments. Mabye pull the front of the seat up a bit to give your thighs more support and lower the back of the seat to let your butt sink down a bit. I was uncomfortable when I first got the car, and after playing with the seats a bit, now I have no problems.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

yeah, ill definatly have to check the seats... i sit all day at the office, so sometimes i find myself doing the "Detroit Lean" while driving.... just cuz I think thats the most comfortable... but not on a long trip. ill check with the seat adjustments, etc.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
I drove from WI to CO, 1048 miles in one shot, and I had no problems at all.

Try playing with the seat adjustments. Mabye pull the front of the seat up a bit to give your thighs more support and lower the back of the seat to let your butt sink down a bit. I was uncomfortable when I first got the car, and after playing with the seats a bit, now I have no problems.
Ya I have tried... But then once it's changed you need to remember to reset the "memo" button. I lost some 'good' settings.

In all honesty, I think driving trucks for so long killed it for me... I used to fall out of the truck, now I need to climb out of a car.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Its worse in the type S cars!
The TL has stiff seats for that- sports car- feel
I always use a small pillow and there is a $15-20 "wedge seat cushion"
with tailbone cutout area for those with back pain- big help!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
This is all kindof subjective. Whats comfortable for a small person may not be comfortable for a big person, etc.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

I just got back from our Memorial Day trip - 10 hours there and 12 hours back, and I got out at the conclusions of each leg of the trip thinking that if it weren't for my drowsiness, I could drive my sweetheart '07 TL-S forever!

I'm of average size, and don't carry my wallet around in my back pocket if I can help it. Sitting on it is even worse, it's bad for the wallet because it deforms it and warps your credit cards.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Racer

the seats are noticeably firmer, but nothing to hurt the butt. just makes me really miss my 4th gen maxima leather. countless times I slept in that car and never wanted to wake up.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM
B A N N E D

2nd gen TL-S seats FTW
Old 05-31-2007, 02:15 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
Sounds like your a$$ is too big for the seat to accomodate

Seriously, I don't think it's that bad. I drove from the DC area to Georgia and had no problems. I did take a break after the fifth hour of driving.
Nah Trini. I've heard of this type of problem before. There is nothing that can really be done about it tho. Sounds like my dawg fant0m is suffering from N.A.A.A. syndrome. Consult your local doctor or chiropractor for work arounds!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:02 AM
Advanced

Hmmm, I wonder how feasible it would be to swap in the RL seats
Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onsknth
Yup! that's me! I screwed up signing on here, ONSKNTH should really be ONSKNHT like it is on CL which is THNKSNO backwards.

Congrats on the new TL and welcome to AZ!

You may find as I did some quirks coming from a Toyota product to a Honda product... For example, what is up with the damn automatic lighting control, or lack thereof???? Maybe this is diff on the 07, I have an 06 and hate the damn chimes!

Once you get over these minor differences, you'll be glad you sent that ES packing!

Anyway, I don't know if the sciatic nerve pain is the result of the TL or not, but it sure seems to have started when I picked up the TL late last December.

It hurts so bad sometimes that I want to naw my own leg off.

ONSKNTH that CL forum degree of separation is pretty cool. Great to see a familiar poster!

I had been driving Maximas for nearly 12 years before I got the ES and it was a step in a different direction. I prefer sport sedans and I wasn't sure what I was thinking. As I prepared to unload the ES I was setting my sights on a G35 and then learned that TL's were going for invoice or below - that helped me make my mind up, along with a great test ride. $500 under invoice with 3.9% financing is hard to beat. I will fight through some of the little quirks in the Acura. I'm not sure about the automatic lighting control - I think that the '07 has it - and I haven't heard any annoying chimes yet!

After 3 days I still think that the TL is much more comfortable than the ES.

I hope that you don't have to resort to surgery to alleviate the sciatica.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Banned

feels good to me and i've drove across cali
Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Taking out the wallet really helps, no matter how much money or credit cards you have in there. Even with an empty wallet you are still talking about a 1/4" difference.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I love my 07 TL-S seats. I have never gone more then a 3 hour drive, but never sore? I love the sporty fit they give. I am going on a 7 hour drive in 8 days, so I will see if my 6'1" 190# body gets sore.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

idk... my seats just arent as "poofy" as they should be... my dad has a 2G TL and my mom has a 03 MDX... and both of those have great seats... im thinking the guy who owned the car before me (only 20k) was heavier.... and matted them down

at any rate, when i go in the for the oil change next week, i think im gonna see if they can get replaced...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I do a LOT of highway miles and believe me firm seats are a Godsend compared to flimsy, soft seats.

Also, you have to SIT UP. Adjust your seats so you have a short, comfortable reach to the steering wheel AND so that your legs are not stretched out toward the pedals. Then set the seat back position fairly upright. If you're taller, you may need to drop your ass some to get a comfortable amount of leg room and "upright-ness."

IOW - Sit Up Straight. That'll put less strain on your back and legs all the way around.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Pro

You should have more carefully test driven the car before you bought it. I test drove the Lexus ES 350 (3 times), IS 350 (twice), Infinity G35, Audi A4, Mercedes C350, Acura TL (twice), Acura RL, BMW Z4 (twice), and BMW 335i before setting on the TL. I can tell you that the TL's seat hardness was IMMEDIATELY apparent to me - and should be immediately apparent to anyone who sits in it for just a few seconds. The TL (at least the '06) has by far the hardest seats out of all of those cars.

That being said, I like the TL's seats, especially for longer trips. The hard, supportive seat keeps your ass and lower back from sinking and slouching into the seat, which caused WAY more pain and fatigue in my soft-seated '99 Saturn. In fact, last month I drove my TL from Tucson to Las Vegas and back and had absolutely no pain or fatigue thanks to the seat hardness. Yeah, the seat is a little hard on my ass but at least there's no back or muscle pain.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I agree with taking the wallet out of your back pocket, mine is never in there unless its a short drive to work. As for the seat bing uncomfortable 2 weeks ago I drove from Port Charlette Fl back to Boston straight through without any back or ass discomfort what so ever....no small fete for me since I totally screwed my back up in a snowmobile accident several years ago.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Instructor

So ever since I got my car my back is been hurting, but I thought it was just cuz when i was doing community service i hurt it, Well last week it was in the shop and i was driving my moms 4runner, which i didnt find super comfortable, but my back felt fine all week none the less. So this week when i got my car back, i drove to work monday ( bout 1 hr drive) and my back was killing me, it was then i realized my problem. So all day yesterday and today I was tweaking it to try to make myself comfortable and my back pain go away, but i cant seem to hit the spot. So my question is this:
Is there some fix, more comfortable seats, somoen mentioned the RL seats
or Buy a new car?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Racer

As followup: I've been feeling better but some days are worse than others like today... I do sit on a Metra seat well over 2 hrs a day, some of my problem can be attributed to that, I'm sure.

But I did change the seat in the TL... I put it on the floor, no up or down on the seat part at all. It seams to be better because I think it was adjusted more like a tipped tea-cup before... Deep in the back and high in the front, I'm now sitting more upright.

Interesting enough, with all the seat changes the mirrors still line up... I'm beginning to think this car isn't well suited for peeps in the non-vertically challenged segment.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Why are there so many references to taking the wallet out the back pocket as a means to preserving your ass or back?? I didn't even know people still did that (keep their wallet in the back pocket)? And if you had a boulder for a wallet, would someone really have to tell you to remove it? It would let you know in a way of it's own...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by darksom1
Why are there so many references to taking the wallet out the back pocket as a means to preserving your ass or back?? I didn't even know people still did that (keep their wallet in the back pocket)? And if you had a boulder for a wallet, would someone really have to tell you to remove it? It would let you know in a way of it's own...
LOL trust me dark, i didnt log in here to find out if i should take my wallet off LOL but i do appreciate the advice...

lol your such a dork
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
lol your such a dork
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 AM
I (don't) whine.

anything more than an hour hurts my ass
Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Let's Go Pens

I wish we could could upgrade to the seats in the '07 RL... man they are like heaven. I have driven 9,000 miles in three months and it's really taking a toll on my rear end and lower back.

Quick Reply: Sore @$$... from the seat