Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Q's from a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
Some Q's from a new guy

hey guys. so i am new here, and i've been trying to read up on TL's, but most of the info i'm searching for, ends up having 6-7 pages with a LOT of filler material; or the threads are a few years old so i can't exactly ask for clarification. so please bear with me (mods too if this is not the proper section for this) since these will probably all have been covered before.

first off, the TL is not my first drive-by-wire car. my 02 audi which i just came from was also an electronic throttle. now at first i thought that it was just me getting used to the floor mount style pedal, but it seems to be something with the tuning of it.

anyways, i have a big issue with how slow the car drops rpm during shifts. i mean its literally bad enough that i almost get rear ended by the cars behind me leaving lights on the 1-2 shift. does anyone else notice this??? the engine revs pretty fast IMO, and i was thinking that there was some programing like the K-series cars that can be removed through tuning, is that a correct assumption? what exactly would i need to do to correct this?

another thing which is far more disturbing....if i rev/accl/wot up to or beyond 4700-5000 rpm, the clutch pedal gets extremely stiff along with the engagement moving to the floor; if i pump the pedal about 3-4 times it goes back to normal. i've never heard of this symptom before, and really wondering what's going on.

lastly, my shifter definitely needs some TLC it seems, as it feels very sloppy compared to the last 6mt i had, and i have a very irritating issue when shifting from 5-6...its almost as if the reverse lockout is interfering, and "nudging" it into the 4th gear gate. without any real feel telling you its happening....any idea's on that? will the comptech short shifter and the HT-bushings help me there? it seems a cheap and good choice to buy none the less.

thanks in advance guys!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I changed out my clutch on 11/05/10 and it solved my stiff pedal.

Originally Posted by justnspace
My car has developed this as well. After some hard driving the clutch pedal feels VERY hard. after I pump it a few times, the feeling goes back to normal.
I read and read and read and read and read and read and read.
with all that reading, I found that some just replaced their clutch and the problem/feeling went away.

I bought a clutch set from acuraoemparts.com for $250.00. Part # 22105-PGE-315
will install at a friends shop for another 250.00, after I teach my girliefriend how to drive stick.
I'll update this thread when I do change it out.
I posted this 8/17/2010.
Originally Posted by justnspace
Southern boy, you have been around as far as time can tell.
you've seen alot of these threads, I know becuase while researching I've seen your post as far as 06 maybe even further. (and your join date says 04)

The OP's in those threads have said they've changed out the master and slave cylinder and that still didnt solve the "stiff" clutch feel after high RPM runs. I had read one thread where he changed the clutch and the problem went away.

I dont do any more spirited driving any more, because I hate the way the clutch feels after.
Its fine during normal driving. No slipping, no stiffness, it behaves like a normal operating clutch should.
8/17/2010

2 months after I posted these, my clutch started to slip in 5th and 6th gear.

Here is my thread, showing pictures of my abused clutch.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/take-look-slightly-abused-clutch-797628/#post12476652

Last edited by justnspace; 02-16-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Drifting

thank you justin. i was actually hoping you would have some more answers for me!!!! []

i was worried that was the cause. the car has 143k on it (rolled over yesterday) and i guess a 50+ year old Korean man owned it before me. but, there was a guy who had the car for a week before the bank denied his loan attempt. i'm betting he beat the crap out of the car...sadly
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Drifting

shit....before i forget.

final question
how often do people end up with a clogged cat(s)??? i'm getting that smell of rotten eggs, and i'm just wondering if its common. or which is more common to clog, the pre cats or main?

if my precats are clogged, could i get PCD's and use the stock j pipe?

Thanks for everything you guys can offer to help,
Sean
Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veggiemonster
shit....before i forget.

final question
how often do people end up with a clogged cat(s)??? i'm getting that smell of rotten eggs, and i'm just wondering if its common. or which is more common to clog, the pre cats or main?

if my precats are clogged, could i get PCD's and use the stock j pipe?

Thanks for everything you guys can offer to help,
Sean
I never had anything like a rotten egg smell or clogged cats but what we call the precats on this site are the 2 main cats right off the block. The other catalytic converter (known as the 3rd cat here) is after the jpipe merge. Not sure what you meant by main.

and just fyi, yea you could get PCDs and use stock jpipe. Just know that you will fail inspections without precats (if your state requires them). Im sure someone else here has more experience with cats clogging and can help you out more.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
thank you justin. i was actually hoping you would have some more answers for me!!!! []

i was worried that was the cause. the car has 143k on it (rolled over yesterday) and i guess a 50+ year old Korean man owned it before me. but, there was a guy who had the car for a week before the bank denied his loan attempt. i'm betting he beat the crap out of the car...sadly
I'm not sure of your RPM dropping slowly issue.

about your cat question, we have 3 cats.
2 "pre" and 1 after the jpipe.

the third one is useless.there are no sensors and its only there to bring the car to a ULEV II rating. From my understanding.

so the two mains are what's probably going bad.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I hear you on the RPM drop (or lack of) on the 1-2 shift.

I'm guessing it's the way the throttle is programmed. I've read of civic Si's doing the same thing. It holds onto the throttle for a good second after getting your foot off the gas before it even starts declining.

I just get around it by shifting at a higher RPM in 1st to get myself moving.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Drifting

yes it's called "rev hang" or something, basically so the non enthusiast can feel like they are on a "sunday drive"

on the new civics with the k20z3 or w/e, they use hondata to get rid of it. is there an option like that for us??
Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bleak
I never had anything like a rotten egg smell or clogged cats but what we call the precats on this site are the 2 main cats right off the block. The other catalytic converter (known as the 3rd cat here) is after the jpipe merge. Not sure what you meant by main.

and just fyi, yea you could get PCDs and use stock jpipe. Just know that you will fail inspections without precats (if your state requires them). Im sure someone else here has more experience with cats clogging and can help you out more.
ahhh. so what would be pre cats are the mains, with an extra one which is larger.

okay then, i will be taking some time to pull the j pipe off to inspect all 3 cats for carbon clogging, then see what i need (PCD's or PCD+J-Pipe)

i have emissions here, but all i'll need to do is keep the CEL off the dash and i'll pass. OBDII makes life easy!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Drifting

bump for any other info, especially the rev-hang stuff

please and thank you, gentlemen!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ahhh. so what would be pre cats are the mains, with an extra one which is larger.

okay then, i will be taking some time to pull the j pipe off to inspect all 3 cats for carbon clogging, then see what i need (PCD's or PCD+J-Pipe)

i have emissions here, but all i'll need to do is keep the CEL off the dash and i'll pass. OBDII makes life easy!!!
Yea exactly, the 3rd cat after the jpipe doesn't even have a sensor on it and is purely for the ULEV rating of the car. Not having it won't change emissions in a noticeable way in sniffer tests.

and if all you need is no CEL, I'm jealous
Old 02-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bleak
Yea exactly, the 3rd cat after the jpipe doesn't even have a sensor on it and is purely for the ULEV rating of the car. Not having it won't change emissions in a noticeable way in sniffer tests.

and if all you need is no CEL, I'm jealous
lol. yeah they stopped doing the treadmill style emissions here. just the OBD readiness scan

thanks for the clarification!