So I may trade her in

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011 | 07:45 PM
5th Gear

So I may trade her in

I currently drive a 2005 TL Black. The car is in great condition and has rarely been driven since 2005. We are the original owners and have 34k miles on her and the paint is flawless.

This car is coming up on 7 years old and is it worth it to trade it in? I was thinking a Camaro, because it's sexy and sleek.

Although I do get compliments from people at the gas station with this car, "I'm 16 here"

I just cannot decide if we should keep this car or not?

Please do not think I'm spoiled. I know how hard my father works and appreciate any money I make. I love this car and I constantly maintain the engine and the car's finish. Im not your average teenage driver.
Old 09-23-2011 | 07:51 PM
Resident Dingo

I feel like you should make your own decision on what to do with your car. If you're bored with the car, not much you can do. We were all 16 at some point, and I can relate to wanting to try new vehicles and such.

If the car is in that good of shape with low miles, you could probably get a good selling price on a private deal.
Old 09-23-2011 | 07:55 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TheDingo
I feel like you should make your own decision on what to do with your car. If you're bored with the car, not much you can do. We were all 16 at some point, and I can relate to wanting to try new vehicles and such.

If the car is in that good of shape with low miles, you could probably get a good selling price on a private deal.
I mainly feel bad about selling it because of my father. I was 9 or 10 when we bought it and to this day he likes the car but we always talk about the Camaro and txt each other when we see one.

In the end, it's not 100% my decision but I do play a role.
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

At your age I can understand the itch for the Camero. I had the same itch for the original Camero's (shows age). You want performance and a sportier look. Can't blame ya. Perhaps your mom will like the TL.
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:00 PM
takin care of Business in

if you dont use the rear seats for the mustang/camaro if you can afford it....

the reason I say is that I got this car and never used the rear seats and I sometimes feel, this is the only time i could have gotten a couple/convertible....once you have kids/family you can own a coupe/convertible....

how much are you expecting for the car ?
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Have you ever considered modding the TL?
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:02 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
At your age I can understand the itch for the Camero. I had the same itch for the original Camero's (shows age). You want performance and a sportier look. Can't blame ya. Perhaps your mom will like the TL.
She already likes the car, was the original driver. She drives an MDX right now.

Originally Posted by swoosh
if you dont use the rear seats for the mustang/camaro if you can afford it....

the reason I say is that I got this car and never used the rear seats and I sometimes feel, this is the only time i could have gotten a couple/convertible....once you have kids/family you can own a coupe/convertible....

how much are you expecting for the car ?
I dont know how much to expect for the car, I generally only drive one person at a time as to not become distracted.

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Have you ever considered modding the TL?
I would like to "smoke" my headlights, side markers, and maybe make my stock rims black?

Don't get me wrong. I love the TL. But I also love the Camaro. I'll probably keep the TL until it breaks! but my parents are considering a camaro. I feel like such a snob for complaining about which car to drive.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-23-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:09 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

The fact that you respect how hard your dad works and appreciate the money you make doesn't make you a snob IMO. You are just more fortunate than others. Its a tough call here. I'd suggest making a list of positives/negatives for both cars then go from there. Good Luck
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

I love threads where people say "I'm going to sell my TL" or "Trade in my TL" or "Bye TL" and they have less posts than a set of wheels on a car.

It's like "Welcome to Acur... oh bye!"

Don't sell it if it is going to be more expensive to get the Camero. That is if you really appreciate your dad's money. Or better yet, sell it, buy a used civic, and give the difference to your dad.

Last edited by P1zzaman; 09-23-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:13 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by P1zzaman
I love threads where people say "I'm going to sell my TL" or "Trade in my TL" or "Bye TL" and they have less posts than a set of wheels on a car.

It's like "Welcome to Acur... oh bye!"

Don't sell it if it is going to be more expensive to get the Camero. That is if you really appreciate your dad's money.
What does "may" sound like? anyways. I'm just getting opinions.

And that sounds like a good idea TLDude, for the foreseeable future the TL will be in our garage. and each time i get into the car I can't stop smiling. I love the ride and it's stereo.

In a few days, I'll have my full license and will post up some pictures of me getting the car ready for the MA winter.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-23-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

challenger
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:38 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Originally Posted by BCHTL
In a few days, I'll have my full license and will post up some pictures of me getting the car ready for the MA winter.
TL is signficantly better to battle a MA winter with than a Camaro. If you have your heart set on new wheels, you may want to hang onto the TL for the winter.
Old 09-23-2011 | 10:02 PM
Team Owner

BCH, you might not have as much say so as you think. You need to talk to your parents about your options too. If they're financing this, they'll have an opinion here.

Also, in the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a multi-quote button. This allows you to reply to many people in a single post.
Old 09-23-2011 | 10:09 PM
I'm Craig

With that low mileage, you'd get pretty good money if you sold it.
Old 09-24-2011 | 03:06 AM

^^^ i wudnt pay much for such a lot mileage 7 year old car....

i do my oil change every 6months if i drive very very less and every 2-3 months depending on the miles....

so in 7 years even if low miles i should have done 14 oil changes, which i doubt (assuming here) the OP has done....hence I wudnt pay as much....
Old 09-24-2011 | 06:31 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Keep the TL. You'll thank me later.

Camaro is not a good car. If anything, get a Challenger.
Old 09-24-2011 | 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Keep it, TL's a much better car.
Old 09-24-2011 | 08:47 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

you're 16...the insurance on the camaro will be outrageous. its a nice looking car, but reliability will be in question...it is a chevy. resale will not be that good on the camaro...but that may not matter, its a camaro, it has history. the TL so far has been proven to be a a very safe car, reliable, and relatively headache free as long as the car is maintained (as any vehicle should). you are fortunate to be able to drive a TL at your age let alone a camaro. keep the TL for you to drive take to college or whatever. when you get going with your life with a real job then you can get whatever you want with your money. let your dad get his camaro for his toy. in the end it all comes down to what is best for you and your parents situation regardless of what our opinions may be. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
nj2pa2nc (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011 | 09:00 AM
6spd FTW

The parents own a Camaro and I am not particularly impressed by it. I would much rather keep my TL over a Camaro. Working some OT these days to get the lightweight flywheel, clutch, and supercharger. Way cooler than a Camaro IMO.
Old 09-24-2011 | 09:31 AM
Racer

My uncle actually lived in Australia for over 4 years and was one of the lead performance engineers on the new Camaro. (No he cant just give me one, remember that GM is hanging on by a thread)

Anyway he brought a new 2012 convertible SS with a 6 speed home one day. They really are awesome looking and powerful BUT the interior just doesn't even compare. Its so much more cheesy, the lines don't meet up well, and its all low grade plastic. (Typical GM anyone?) I believe that this is because, and my uncle told me this directly, they had to keep the V6 price tag at or below 20,000 dollars new. So that 20,000 dollar interior carries over to the SS Camaro. Remember that our TL's were around 35,000 new.

My TL has 115k miles on it, and I would still rather have that any day. The only thing that i really liked about the Camaro was the 430 ponies and a 6 speed. I didnt get to drive it, but when my uncle stepped on it, it definitely pulled. I (at 18 years old) and most likely you, will get into a lot of trouble in a car like that. Or we could be killed. Coming from someone who is almost your age, and was just your age, the TL is already more than enough power for our heavy feet. Remember, it's more than enough power for most members on this forum!

Keep the insurance low(er) and keep the TL, especially with low miles. She sounds like a beaut'!

Good luck and i hope this helps.
leedogg (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011 | 09:36 AM
BMW 535i

I go with " keep it ". You can mod your TL and make it your style by your own money. I know your parents love you but if you appreciate them keep the TL ( no more cost , less hassle ). My father just like yours, he told me that he can buy me a S4 when he saw me stare at it but I feel likes wasting money. My answer is I will but when I have a job and afford it myself.
Old 09-24-2011 | 10:12 AM
Racer

Yup, keep the TL. Get some driving experience under your belt before you get into the (rear-wheel-drive) pony car world. If you back into a pole or have some other small fender bender, it'll be much less painful in a 7-yr-old car.

Use the savings from lower insurance and no car payments towards your college fund. It speaks volumes that you're smart enough to even ask the question. If you do get some speeding tickets or accidents on your record (like even one at 16), having the Camaro will reach ridiculous levels for insurance. Not saying that will happen, but statistically-speaking, well....you know the story...

Last edited by Pat04TL; 09-24-2011 at 10:15 AM.
jonboy10 (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011 | 10:17 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

you are asking on acurazine. of course u will get biased answer. Majority will say keep the TL. In the end, its your call bro. Good luck on the the decision
Old 09-24-2011 | 10:48 AM
Instructor

what ^ said.... plus youre young.. imo get the camaro.. enjoy it while youre young just remember to stay out of trouble.
Old 09-24-2011 | 10:52 AM
Advanced

Camaro schamaro........if you want a better drivers car get a 2012 Mustang GT or even a V6 with the performance pack. Better yet a Boss 302!

Research the newer muscle cars...you will see the Mustang is a better car in almost every category.
Old 09-24-2011 | 11:05 AM
Instructor

0h 3 cobra!!
Old 09-24-2011 | 06:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by agray56
Camaro schamaro........if you want a better drivers car get a 2012 Mustang GT or even a V6 with the performance pack. Better yet a Boss 302!

Research the newer muscle cars...you will see the Mustang is a better car in almost every category.
Originally Posted by LIQUID0401
0h 3 cobra!!
So you both are suggesting that a 16 year old should get behind the wheel of a car that does 60mph in less than 5 seconds, and a quarter mile in 13 seconds? I dont believe that is necessary. As much as I would love to have something that fast, at 18 I would most likely hurt myself.

And at 16, this means he has only been on the road by himself less than 12 months? And you want him to have 400+ horsepower?

This is copied straight from an article from the CDC-

In 2009, eight teens ages 16 to 19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries. Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are four times more likely than older drivers to crash.

Point made.
Pat04TL (09-26-2011)
Old 09-24-2011 | 06:09 PM
Pro

are you talking about the new camaros? if so hell nah don't do it. that car is really cramped up and way too many blind spot.. the whole car is actually a blind spot lol
Old 09-24-2011 | 09:05 PM

mustang gt 5.0 ?LOL
Old 09-24-2011 | 09:33 PM
All About Trance

I'd keep the TL. It's plenty fast and it's a really safe car! I should know as I had walked away from one yesterday with just a scratch on my finger that I don't even know how that had gotten there. If you're bored with the look, mod the car and make it stand out from the rest of the cookie cutter.
Acura_Dude (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011 | 11:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonboy10
So you both are suggesting that a 16 year old should get behind the wheel of a car that does 60mph in less than 5 seconds, and a quarter mile in 13 seconds? I dont believe that is necessary. As much as I would love to have something that fast, at 18 I would most likely hurt myself.

And at 16, this means he has only been on the road by himself less than 12 months? And you want him to have 400+ horsepower?

This is copied straight from an article from the CDC-

In 2009, eight teens ages 16 to 19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries. Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are four times more likely than older drivers to crash.

Point made.
Hey, he already has a car that is plenty powerful and is suggesting getting a muscle car. I agree with you completely, especially if this were my son. I traded my 1995 Taurus SHO when my boys were approaching that age because I didn't want them driving it, and I couldn't afford to keep it garaged at the time. I made my comment without regard for the age or skill level of the original poster.
Old 09-24-2011 | 11:47 PM
6spd FTW

Originally Posted by rhafikjaan
are you talking about the new camaros? if so hell nah don't do it. that car is really cramped up and way too many blind spot.. the whole car is actually a blind spot lol
I definitely agreed about that visibility issue, you can't see anything out of the back of them.
Old 09-25-2011 | 09:18 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

This is my honest opinion, Keep the TL and the reasons are many. At age 16 you are very gifted to have a TL in that condition as a 1st car. When I was 16 my only vehicle was called myself with sneakers haha. There are many young drivers out there who drive some real hazardous shit boxes, so again be happy. Now I don't know where you live but if you are in area's where it snows then Camaro isn't it for you. Your a new driver with a RWD vehicle with lots of power and in snow conditions spells accidents.

At your age what you need is a practical vehicle which the TL has every standard item that you will need to keep you safe on the road and it's a very reliable vehicle. It's better to carry your friends in the TL vs the camaro when push comes to shove 90% of chicks don't give a rats ass what you drive as long as you drive right. I was in your shoes trust me, I wanted a SS Camaro or a LS1 WS6 Trans-AM to show off that I got a fast car but once I really drove my friends Trans-AM for a week I hated it. The interior was shit, the ride sucked, way to loud for my taste, RWD would have sucked ass in the snow and the lack or Luxury features which the TL had standard this vehicle didn't even have them as an option. I bought the TL myself in full at age 22 and felt this was the best decision Ive made for myself at the time.

I will say however, that now I am closing 26 soon and have dropped 18K into my TL and another 26K to buy it, I assure you the money put into this car would have looked A LOT prettier in the bank then it sitting in my drive way. You only realize that with age, when it's actually time to grow up and think what's more important a home or vehicle, but regardless your not ready for that but keep it in mind, don't blow a crazy amount into something that doesn't hold valve for shit haha.

Best of luck buddy, I would keep that TL and put your hard earn money in the bank and save it towards college or your future.
Old 09-25-2011 | 09:39 AM
5th Gear

Ok guys, thanks for the opinions. I have decided to let my desire for the Camaro diminish.

So, I'll be posting up some pictures of the ride very soon, we just put some wax on her and she looks amazing.

Anyone know of a good airfreshner?
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:23 AM
All About Trance

^ Zaino
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:58 AM
I'm Craig

^Leather in a Bottle, yep. OP look this product up. It's a leather treatment but it smells fantastic. It took me a couple of days to get used to at first, but now I love it.
Old 09-25-2011 | 12:56 PM
Instructor

Sell your TL and go buy a used Nissan GTR on ebay from San Marcos Honda.
Old 09-25-2011 | 12:56 PM

OP honestly this is what my 2 cents are with the car....

ACURA TL is a very very reliable car....at the same time is the slowest of the sedans out there (compare to Lexus IS350/BMW 335i/Audi A4/etc)....you will have to spend like 6-8K to get anything out of the car:

Exhaust mods ~2.5K
Other performance mods ~2K Intake/pnp manifold-runners/UR pulley/Mounts/blah blah
Lip Kit ~750
Coilovers/Headlight/Tail lights/Side markers/rims/etc ~3-4K

So you have spend like ~8-9K to get the looking good and get a little fast....but then still you are stuck with 2 rear seats.....

I got the car when I was 23....and I wish I would have spend the same amount of money to get a S2K/350z/Mustang/Camaro(wasnt an option then) but well.....

Bottom line you are 16....if you need the rear seats, keep the TL....else get a coupe.....

I am 28 now and planning on having a kid in the next year....and I will not be able to own a coupe until I turn 40-ish.....