Sponsored by:

Snow Chain/Cable/Spider Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Snow Chain/Cable/Spider Advice

Hello,

I searched through the forum and didnt really find any conclusive answers on this...

I am looking to go to the snow (Tahoe/Mammoth Lakes area) with my TL and I would like to get some snow equipment for my tires. I want something that will help me move through the snow but not ruin my car. My car is stock height and I can always put some kind of temporary protective adhesive on my rims until I take the chains off.

what are people's experiences and where did you buy yours?

Thank you!

Rody
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rody084
Hello,

I searched through the forum and didnt really find any conclusive answers on this...

I am looking to go to the snow (Tahoe/Mammoth Lakes area) with my TL and I would like to get some snow equipment for my tires. I want something that will help me move through the snow but not ruin my car. My car is stock height and I can always put some kind of temporary protective adhesive on my rims until I take the chains off.

what are people's experiences and where did you buy yours?

Thank you!

Rody

I'm not sure if you can put chains on the TL, becuase on my other cars it says there isn't enough clearance between the tire and the suspension hardware to clear chains.

There are a couple options I considered. I forget what they are called, but I think they make special cable-chains for tight clearances. I forget what class it's called.

The other approaches I've heard people talk about that are easier to use and don't interfere with your suspension, such as:

Go-Claws or Spider Chains
Old 11-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
my Acura dealer is wanting to sell me some SCC "Security" snow cables and says that they should not void the warranty. Does anyone have experience with these?

I saw the go-claws and the spider chains...priceeey! hehe. i might have to go with those if there is no other option though

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:09 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used cables...when I drove through Tahoe. They worked out pretty well. I think I picked them up from Walmart.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on this a couple years ago. It seems tire chains are rated at how long you can drive at a moderate rate of speed without them falling apart. I ended up buying some at tirechains.com because the Colorado State Patrol used them. That was a good enough endorsement for me.

Good Luck