Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Scratch

How would I go about removing a small scratch from my car?

Length of Scratch: The scratch is less than an inch long.
Width of Scratch: The scratch is as wide as a piece of paper is thick.
Depth of Scratch: The scratch is as deep as a piece of paper is thick.

When I run my finger across it I can't feel the scratch, but I can see it.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
^^^^^photos would help, but I would say........meguairs scratch-x applied 3 times with passion
Old 12-30-2006, 05:19 PM

I'll try to get a photo of the scratch tomorrow because it's too dark now. Five quick questions:

1. Will Meguiar's ScratchX harm the paint on the car?
2. Does Meguiar's ScratchX work on any car color / paint type?
3. Do I need to do anything else other than apply Meguiar's ScratchX?
4. Will Meguiar's ScratchX permanently remove the scratch?
5. Is there any buffing involved because I don't have an electric buffer?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

1. Will Meguiar's ScratchX harm the paint on the car? No...

2. Does Meguiar's ScratchX work on any car color / paint type? Yes...

3. Do I need to do anything else other than apply Meguiar's ScratchX? Depends on the depth of the scratch. You mentioned that the depth was that of a piece of paper. Not sure if I/we comprehend what you mean...

4. Will Meguiar's ScratchX permanently remove the scratch? Personally, I had no luck with ScratchX. I recently purchased a Porter Cable Polisher Sander and I was able to remove my targeted scratches with very little effort. I was unable to remove the same scratches with ScratchX.

5. Is there any buffing involved because I don't have an electric buffer? I have found that I am very limited in what I want to accomplish by hand, regardless of the product that I use.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sothpaw62
1. Will Meguiar's ScratchX harm the paint on the car? No...

2. Does Meguiar's ScratchX work on any car color / paint type? Yes...

3. Do I need to do anything else other than apply Meguiar's ScratchX? Depends on the depth of the scratch. You mentioned that the depth was that of a piece of paper. Not sure if I/we comprehend what you mean...

4. Will Meguiar's ScratchX permanently remove the scratch? Personally, I had no luck with ScratchX. I recently purchased a Porter Cable Polisher Sander and I was able to remove my targeted scratches with very little effort. I was unable to remove the same scratches with ScratchX.

5. Is there any buffing involved because I don't have an electric buffer? I have found that I am very limited in what I want to accomplish by hand, regardless of the product that I use.

Hope this helps!
The depth of the scratch is equivalent to the thickness of a single sheet of paper. Has anyone had success with Meguiar's ScratchX?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:44 PM

Also, is Meguiar's ScratchX sold in stores?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S L I C K
Also, is Meguiar's ScratchX sold in stores?
Yes it is sold in stores, i bought mine at the local Walmart!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

The depth of the scratch is equivalent to the thickness of a single sheet of paper. Has anyone had success with Meguiar's ScratchX?
Yes I have had great success. It works very well and you do not need a orbital to get great results. You will need to exert alot of pressure with it, thats where most people that think it does not work fail. Several of us acuraziners were treated to an all day hands on learning session up at meguiars and were shown how to use, among others, this product specifically. Everyone was amazed at the amount of pressure that our teacher used with the product. There is no way to possible harm your paint with the force needed to make the product work. also at least 3 applications will be necessary for the best results.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by pohljm
Yes I have had great success. It works very well and you do not need a orbital to get great results. You will need to exert alot of pressure with it, thats where most people that think it does not work fail. Several of us acuraziners were treated to an all day hands on learning session up at meguiars and were shown how to use, among others, this product specifically. Everyone was amazed at the amount of pressure that our teacher used with the product. There is no way to possible harm your paint with the force needed to make the product work. also at least 3 applications will be necessary for the best results.
Awesome! Do you just rub the Meguiar’s ScratchX on with a soft cloth, let it dry, wipe off the dried film with another soft cloth, and repeat the process two more times? Is waxing necessary after the treatment because I never wax my cars?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

You do not let it dry, you will see it change in consistency as you scrub it across the scratched area, and then wipe it off. you do not let it dry. yes you will need to apply whatever paint protection that you are using afterwards as this will have removed it. What do you mean that you never wax your cars?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:03 PM

You do not let it dry, you will see it change in consistency as you scrub it across the scratched area, and then wipe it off. you do not let it dry. yes you will need to apply whatever paint protection that you are using afterwards as this will have removed it. What do you mean that you never wax your cars?
I just wash my cars. I don't use wax, polish, etc. afterwards. I don't have any paint protection (i.e. wax?) on my car. I haven't done anything (i.e. washed it, waxed it, etc.) to my car since I got it last week. Will the Meguiar's ScratchX remove the clear coat from my car?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I just wash my cars. I don't use wax, polish, etc. afterwards. I don't have any paint protection (i.e. wax?) on my car. I haven't done anything (i.e. washed it, waxed it, etc.) to my car since I got it last week. Will the Meguiar's ScratchX remove the clear coat from my car?
No it wont remove your clear coat! You should definitely clay bar your car and then apply some protection be it a sealant or a wax. These are sacraficial coatings that will protect your clear coat, without them it will be your clear coat that is being damaged by the bird crap and industrial fallout
Old 12-31-2006, 12:45 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
personally I like 3m's Imperial Hand Glaze - it's really gentle on the paint and I get great results with it.

I agree with pohljm, alway have at least couple of layers of wax on the car. I winterize my car by waxing it three consecutive weekends to combat the road salt.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Imperial hand glaze is more of a pure polish, kinda like Meg's show car glaze etc, there is no paint protection in it. It is designed to be topped with some kind of paint protector, be it a sealant or a wax. It is not intended to be a final coat unless your indoors at a car show. You will want to add some protectant on top of it once you bring it outside.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I know... guess I did not make that clear.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:45 PM

What wax / type of protection do you guys recommend?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Whatever you feel comfortable applying, since the most important thing is getting it on in the first place! I use a paint sealant like Meg's #20 or #21 rather than a wax because I think I get a little bit more protection time out of it so I dont need to apply as frequently. I think that the single most important thing you can do for your finish would be to clay bar it before you worry about what product you use to protect it. I wash it with a good car wash soap, then clay it. then I will use #8 show car glaze, then #20 sealant.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Another decent OTC sealant is Meguiars ColorX .. it will remove oxidzation and leave a polymer behind .. not as good as a pure polymer like #20 or Glanz or Klasse etc but affordable and easy to use.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I would say that the color-x is more paint cleaner than what he needs on his new car paint, but appropriate for his older vehicles that have never been waxed
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I would say that the color-x is more paint cleaner than what he needs on his new car paint, but appropriate for his older vehicles that have never been waxed
I don't know if you have ever used ColorX or not but as an OTC it is great for taking off oxidization ( which new cars do have because of paint curing ), has the abillity to remove very fine swirling and some filling capabilities. I use it all the time an was one of the first in Canada to recieve it for evaluation from Meguiars long before it was available on the market up here.

It also leave behind a very good polymer layer which will outlast most every OTC wax out there.

Saying ColorX is for older cars is like saying there is no need to Claybar a new car.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I have used color-x on my sons 91 explorer. And I would clay a new car first thing