Sponsored by:

Small Comparison on IS250 from an 18 yr old

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Small Comparison on IS250 from an 18 yr old

hey guys,

its been awhile since i started a thread but i kinda wanted to maybe make this one a little more informative...my mother just brought her lexus in for service and they gave her the IS250 AUTO as a loaner...overall its a nice...solid car...it feels more solid than the TL...just feels like its made better...that could just be the fact that its new...but it just felt very tight and compact....so...i ask my mom if i can take it around the block for a few minutes...shes says okay...fuck that...i take it on the highway for a good 10 minutes then on side streets.....so anywho...i get in the car....its a light bluish color with a tan interior....very nice for a tan interior...i normally don't like the tan but i was somewhat impressed....hit the button start! wonderful! never used that before so i was impressed.....and i shifted into gear......so i start out with acceleration....it is slow...a little sluggish...seems faster than the TSX....but the TL is DEFINATLY faster....( i know that the TL has 270hp...and the IS250 has around 200hp...but i figured because its lighter it might be quick on its wheels).....but anywho...the paddleshifting is nice but unnecessary...i can't see myself using it in the future...i see how some cars are eliminating the shifting with the shifter completely and just using paddle shifters...with the IS250 u can do both which i liked....i also liked that the guages lit up right when ur approaching redline...i think it was about 1500 rpm beforehand...nice little feature...also to throw in i liked the keyless entry....all the neat little compartments to put stuff...we didn't have the navigation so i can't really give u my full impressions but overall i was impressed but wouldn't trade my 04 AT TL w/ NAVI for this IS250.....maybe for an IS350 with NAVIGATION....thats a different story...but here is what i liked and didn't like

LIKE:
- Push Button Start
- Keyless Entry
- The Fact that u could still shift with the shifter
- All Auto Up windows
- Nice leather...
- Decent trunk space
- Nice rims (nicer than the TL's)
- ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR

DISLIKE:
- Slow...sluggish at times
- Very small...and felt cramped...couldn't really see above the headliner (as well as i could in my TL atleast)
- seats weren't as comfortable as in the TL
- Steering wheel looks very cheap
- hated the center console....if u ever test drive..you might understand what i mean

thanks for reading
Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got my IS250 awd and am LOVING it!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Racer

i was strongly considering the 06 is250 awd instead of my 06 tl with nav 2 months ago. i even put down a deposit to buy a white exterior/black interior is250 but changed my mind

i still kinda think that maybe i should have bought the IS because lexus has better service but i think i made the right choice b/c the tl has a lot more power.

acura definitely needs to get push button start and the comfort access remote in their cars
Old 09-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Instructor

push to start =07 TL
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Hahah, I made that same point about the center console when I was looking at it. Agreed: Too cramped for my tastes, I'd actually pick the TSX over the non-AWD IS250.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
This thread needs to be in Car Talk. Since I can't move them there, feel free to restart this thread over there, thank you...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I have reopened this thread. I hate comparison threads but NFL is a good kid. So lets all be nice...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

i do'nt like how there's a hump on the driver side of the AWD versions of the IS. seems like a major design flaw to me. Up here in Canada, driving RWD isn't the greatest thing so the TL's FWD is actually a benefit. IS is a nice car but a quick look on clublexus will yield the same amount of rattle, tranmission problems associated with a new design. (looks sick though)
Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by trancemission
I have reopened this thread. I hate comparison threads but NFL is a good kid. So lets all be nice...
thanks transmission
Old 09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by jsong83
i was strongly considering the 06 is250 awd instead of my 06 tl with nav 2 months ago. i even put down a deposit to buy a white exterior/black interior is250 but changed my mind

i still kinda think that maybe i should have bought the IS because lexus has better service but i think i made the right choice b/c the tl has a lot more power.

acura definitely needs to get push button start and the comfort access remote in their cars
i see where you are coming from with the push button start...all lexus's i think have that now....acura needs to step it up...but the '07 TL looks promising....

i still love my TL though...i don't think any other car company out there can compare to Acura's navigation system...and thats one of the reasons i love my car so much...but form what i heard...lexus's is getting much better
Old 09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they are going to discontinue the is250 and instead make a is300 like before. I also herd some rumores about an is500, that should be something to look at.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

that should be interesting...

that would make me buy that over the TL (most likely)...

when i was looking at cars i had 4 cars in mind....the IS300....the Volvo S60.....The G35 (sedan not coupe).....Acura TL....and they just so happen to have an a-spec TL with navigation in the color combo that i wanted but no Manual =(....so we grabbed it
Old 10-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I know this is a old thread but I had to share

I got to drive the IS250 yesturday for the first time and I must say, WOW

I was excited at first because it was a car that I have never driven before and plus it was a loaner, so that means anything goes

Interior:
So when I first got in, I noticed the white LED's everywhere which I liked alot. I also loved how the key fob looked and really enjoyed the push start button. Another thing is that I usually dont like wood inside some cars but I loved the one inside this car. The seats were pretty comfortable, but overall I liked the interior.

Test-drive:
So when I took it for a test drive, and noticed that it lacked power. As soon as I pulled out of the parking spot, I puched it and the and it didnt go anywhere. It had a fast response because of the awd but it was still slow. I then began to use the padle shifters to see if the car responded a little differently. One thing that I liked was that it didnt shift into second gear automatically when using triptronic, which my TL does. Another thing I liked was that a part of the gauge would light up when it was time to shift. Overall, I didnt like how slow it was but I think it was a little faster than the TSX I drove.

Exterior:
I liked the color alot; It was white with a blueish pearl. I also liked that when you pushed the unlock button, light underneath the side mirrors lighted up. I didnt like how it didnt have HID's.

Conclusion:
Overall, I liked every aspect of the car eccept the power. Driving this car got me thinking wether I should trade in my car. If I were to trade my car in, I would definetly get the is350. I think that car would be perfect with everything the 250 has and alot more. Im really considering the is350 since my family will not let me trade in my TL for a 1993 Supra Turbo(they probably are right ) But im not sure, we will just have to wait and see
Old 10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

If only lexus made an IS350AWD. The loss of power going from a TL to an IS250 AWD(must have AWD or FWD in NE) really kills any potential for that to have been one of our cars.

I'm interested in seeing the IS500, that thing should be bad... Now if it didnt cost a fortune and wad mated to an AWD setup(probably neccesary with that much power in such a light car) that would be damn near perfect. Unfortunatly its probably going to cost a fortune and not have an AWD setup.

Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
- The Fact that u could still shift with the shifter
- All Auto Up windows

The new 07 TL-S has both paddle shifters as well as retains the existing sport TL shifter on the regular shift knob.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:55 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

I test drove the IS350 fully loaded with the sports tuned suspension, and it totally blew me away. Even compared to my TL with aspec suspension + CT RSB...
Old 10-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraTL06
I test drove the IS350 fully loaded with the sports tuned suspension, and it totally blew me away. Even compared to my TL with aspec suspension + CT RSB...
how much is a fully loaded IS350?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts
Originally Posted by berite100
how much is a fully loaded IS350?
~$46K, I drove one at a Lexus event recently. Extremely nice ride, the 6AT & 3.5L V6 drivetrain were a excellent combination. Paddle shifters were also cool.

That model was loaded with just about every option (Sport package, premium wheels, Nav, Mark Levinson sound,...).

I wrote up a short comparison to a TL and a new ES350 but it was locked out by the modurators.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I looked at the IS before going with my 06 TL. For me, the IS had some appeal but just wasn't an option overall. First off, it's too small for a luxury car. I guess for some people a luxury compact makes sense, but for me, "luxury" means comfortable, and the IS is just too cramped to be comfortable. Second, the 250 is too gutless and the 350 is not a good value. The base price of a IS350 is $35k, and that's without nav and many other features. Once you get a package together that resembles a TL, you're in the $40's. Sure, some elements of the IS are more refined or higher tech, but for me the TL was the perfect balance of features and price. While I'd like push-button start, a fancier nav screen, backup camera, cooled seats, they are just icing on the cake and not worth an extra 10 grand for me. AWD is also not an essential item for me, and has the disadvantage of increasing the complexity, maintenance and weight of the car. One person mentioned the steering wheel seeming cheap in the IS. I noticed the same, and the Infiniti cars are no better, especially with their cheap chrome rocker buttons for cruise and radio control. The TL may not have the highest quality leather available, but overall the interior is VERY nice, everything feels high quality, and every switch and button is placed right and feels well designed.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:10 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by redman042
I looked at the IS before going with my 06 TL. For me, the IS had some appeal but just wasn't an option overall. First off, it's too small for a luxury car. I guess for some people a luxury compact makes sense, but for me, "luxury" means comfortable, and the IS is just too cramped to be comfortable. Second, the 250 is too gutless and the 350 is not a good value. The base price of a IS350 is $35k, and that's without nav and many other features. Once you get a package together that resembles a TL, you're in the $40's. Sure, some elements of the IS are more refined or higher tech, but for me the TL was the perfect balance of features and price. While I'd like push-button start, a fancier nav screen, backup camera, cooled seats, they are just icing on the cake and not worth an extra 10 grand for me. AWD is also not an essential item for me, and has the disadvantage of increasing the complexity, maintenance and weight of the car. One person mentioned the steering wheel seeming cheap in the IS. I noticed the same, and the Infiniti cars are no better, especially with their cheap chrome rocker buttons for cruise and radio control. The TL may not have the highest quality leather available, but overall the interior is VERY nice, everything feels high quality, and every switch and button is placed right and feels well designed.
I agree. That is the reason why I ended keeping my TL instead of trading it in for the 06' IS350. However, the next car I get myself into will definitely be a RWD. Hopefully by then Acura will have RWD available.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
~$46K, I drove one at a Lexus event recently. Extremely nice ride, the 6AT & 3.5L V6 drivetrain were a excellent combination. Paddle shifters were also cool.

That model was loaded with just about every option (Sport package, premium wheels, Nav, Mark Levinson sound,...).

I wrote up a short comparison to a TL and a new ES350 but it was locked out by the modurators.
Funny... I had the opposite experience in the IS350. Other than the HP, which was negated be the lack of MT, it felt cramped. Sure, the whizbang of RFID keys and pushbutton start is cool... but it sure ain't $46K cool.

Said it before and I'll say it again. There is no better bang for the buck than a well shopped/priced TL with Nav. Lots of room, lots of features, great looks.

I can get a LOT of car for $46K. IS350 is just plain overpriced.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Funny... I had the opposite experience in the IS350. Other than the HP, which was negated be the lack of MT, it felt cramped. Sure, the whizbang of RFID keys and pushbutton start is cool... but it sure ain't $46K cool.

Said it before and I'll say it again. There is no better bang for the buck than a well shopped/priced TL with Nav. Lots of room, lots of features, great looks.

I can get a LOT of car for $46K. IS350 is just plain overpriced.
Oh it was definitely cramped, I'm 6'4" and with the seat all the way back the rear seat would be useless. I liked some of the little features (power steering wheel adjust, instrumentation, ), but what really impressed me was how well the 6AT worked with the engine. It was ALOT of fun to drive and thrash around the closed course Lexus setup, the suspension worked well, the steering could use some improving on feedback.

But would I buy one? No, too small, too expensive for what you get, and I didn't any difference in overall material/build quality.

On the TL, I agree with you 100%
Old 10-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Cruisin'

I sat in an IS250/350 and also felt that it was very cramped for a "mid-sized" sport sedan. 330i's and TSX's have much more room in the back. Plus, like everyone is saying, they're way overpriced.

The drivetrain options is what I liked on the IS'. AWD or RWD. Although when I'm buying a sedan, whether it is RWD or FWD, I really don't care. I don't push it enough on the streets to favor one or the other. If I "need" to adjust the suspension, some A-Spec's and a beefier rear sway will do the trick. The AWD is a plus, since it snows where I live. I really wish the next gen TL's come with AWD.

Power wise, the IS250 is pretty slow. I'd much rather pick the TSX. The TSX has better aftermarket support, is priced better and just as fun to drive. I don't think I noticed any more power from either cars.

Overall, TL is definately a better car for me, compared to the IS350. I wouldn't even consider the IS250 (although it's a nice car), unless they put in a turbo.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
G35 would be a better performing car and more room inside. I also believe its a big more refined than the IS350.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Racer

wish they put in ventilated seats in 3G TL like lexus did in the IS
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jsong83
wish they put in ventilated seats in 3G TL like lexus did in the IS
It's already at $38K, and losing it's "bang for the buck" worthiness. Silly stuff like that, and pushbitton start and it'll be outpricing the IS350.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
G35 would be a better performing car and more room inside. I also believe its a big more refined than the IS350.
I'm not sure about the better performing part. If both are equipped with auto trans, don't forget the IS 350 has a six speed while the G35 has a 5 speed. I don't think the G35 will outperform the IS350. Also there is no way the Infiniti is more refined than the Lexus. The G35 is for sure larger but not more refined.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

The new G35 is more refined than the new IS. IS has painted plastic alum looking trim while the G35 has real alum. This has been discussed here before.

This is not refined

Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

ew thats nasty!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 AM
Pro

As you know things never look as good in a picture compared with real life. However, the real wood on the IS looks great. The aluminum trim on the new G35 has been decribed by many as looking strange and not very attractive. In the end things are siimply a matter of taste and one can never account for others taste. But I still must say when comparing power and speed, one must compare similarily equipped cars. So one must compare the auto equipped versions of the G35, IS 350 and so on. In most comparisons done so far they compare auto equipped IS with standard equipped 3 series and G35.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Safety Car

The new G35 hasn't had any comparisons done yet.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Wow! You are 18 Years old? You sound much older than that.

Anywho.....I think the Lexus IS250 is too small. Basically, it is a head competitor with the 3-Series.

Personally, I think the TL is a much better car.

And regarding the "push button" start; I have read that many people do not care for the push button start. Most people enjoy that sensation of putting the key in the ignition, and hearing that "zoom" sound. You need to have the key on you, regardless. With that being said, I am not a huge fan of the push button thingy.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
The new G35 is more refined than the new IS. IS has painted plastic alum looking trim while the G35 has real alum. This has been discussed here before.

This is not refined
I agree about the IS console...when I test drove IS350 I couldnt believe how cheap the plastic around the console felt. Rest of the car was pretty nice though.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Instructor

The nice thing about the TL is that NOTHING in it feels cheap. Not a single knob, button, or surface feels cheap in this car. The same can't be said for any of the other brands. Seems like all the other luxury brands have some downside to their interior (ie. the leather is top notch but the steering wheel seems cheap, etc.). The TL is a very well balanced car, visually and quality-wise.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

The nice thing about the TL is that NOTHING in it feels cheap. Not a single knob, button, or surface feels cheap in this car. The same can't be said for any of the other brands. Seems like all the other luxury brands have some downside to their interior (ie. the leather is top notch but the steering wheel seems cheap, etc.). The TL is a very well balanced car, visually and quality-wise.
I agree.....if you go in my dads ML55 AMG, the handle feels like its going to snap when you pull it and the wood looks super fake. The only thing I can complain about the TL is the leather....
Old 10-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Instructor

BMW is also known for that sort of thing. Their dashboard looks like a 20 year old design, and don't even get me started on their POS i-Drive nav system. Graphics look great but usability is as bad as it gets.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Advanced

BMW is also known for that sort of thing. Their dashboard looks like a 20 year old design, and don't even get me started on their POS i-Drive nav system. Graphics look great but usability is as bad as it gets.

I agree. When I sat in the new 3-Series, I was like: "Yukky, poo-poo!"

Yes, the dashboard is horrible! The car felt very "claustraphobic" and hardly any room in the back seat. I felt like I was in a shoebox! I don't know where their minds were at when they designed that car!

The TL got me!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I loved the interior of the IS250. Maybe I thought that because it was a new car