3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick to my stomach-UPDATE 10/3 (Car in the shop)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
What you said was everything that i figured but wanted a second opinion. The cost for me will only be the front and rear lips since i am having the body shop install the body kit sides instead of base (the body kit sides were cheaper than base sides). I have priced it out already from hondacuraplanet and it will cost me just under $500 shipped. I dont think that i will be able to get the parts before they are done with the car. I tried gooing to a few dealers around here for some other parts and none of them would match delray or peoria.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
If u talk to the body shop they should be able to wait for parts. Or u can go bsck and have them
Install once the parts arrive. It's only a couple hours work in the end, especially for a body shop.

I would say since you had wdp you should get the 07-08 rear lip and install that. It will take some work, but there are several DIYs and it will look much nicer in the end. You can also get the type--s lip if you plan on getting a quad exhaust anytime soon it would be really nice too.

Only reason I haven't is because I'd have to paint it DGP. No such problem for you!

Last edited by quanaman; 10-21-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Jokerman

I was just looking around again and i found a thread that says that all the rears are the same from 04-06 and 07-08 base. I think i will just contact tim.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Jokerman

For those of you that are still following and those who are new. Today's update. They started priming the car, i saw at least one layer of primer on the car and the guy was going over it again. They had a delay because it needed to be sanded down again and they were short handed for a few days. They are going to start blocking the car later today or tomorrow.. And looks like the car will be getting its paint coat wednesday and thursday. As long as everything goes to plan. the car will be reassembled on friday into monday and then it will be detailed. So hopefully i will be getting it back Tuesday, no later than Wednes.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
YAY!!! Good news!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Jokerman

Good news became kind of bad news. They had another delay at the body shop. It was supposed to be in paint yesterday, but the only thing that they were able to do is spackle it (i think thats what its called). Where they put this black stuff on the car to find the"dimples" or low spots that they will have to put putty in before they start laying down the paint. Someone can correct me if I am wrong about something there, I cant remember 100%. But now we are looking towards the end of the week before it is done. I talked to the insurance company about the rental car and they informed me that even though they caused a delay in the repair of the car, that I was still limited to the $30/day, $900 total amounts. The day I have to turn the car in is Tuesday, unless I want to pay for it out of pocket, which I dont really want to do. I guess the wife will be without a car for a few days unless she wants to wake up early in order to take me to work, which I doubt she will do. Heres to hoping there is no more delays.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i understand the need to get your car back...but if its your baby, you wanna make sure the paint gets done right (trust me on this one, esp after the crap i went through with my TL's rear bumper, and now my MDX's tailgate, which will be at the shop next week for another redo (which is not the shop's fault), ugh ).

the week will fly by and you'll have your TL back in your possession looking good. so despite the delay...remember...perfection takes time. hang in there...

but yeah i get not wanting to hang on to the rental...and inconveniencing the spouse...not much you can do though. can't wait to see the results.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Jokerman

I keep telling them, "I know my rental time is almost up, but no need to rush". I am sooooo glad that I am using this body shop. They understand me and how I feel about this car. The insurance company's shop would most likely have done a shotty ass job just to get teh car done on time. I will be giving this shop a huge endorsement. Even though it is 8 years old this month, I want to be able to keep it another 8 years. Maybe, even let my daughter learn how to drive in it; MAYBE!! Also I am glad about the work they are doing because I am supposed to transfer out of the area within the next 6 months to a year and I will not have to worry about having to get it redone because of shooty workmanship on thier part.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
hey what body shop are you using I am not too far from the great lakes base. don't really like or trust the body shops around me.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by pjillta
hey what body shop are you using I am not too far from the great lakes base. don't really like or trust the body shops around me.
I am using Libertyville Auto Body which is connected to Libertyville Acura on Milwaukee Ave just north of the Vernon Hills Mall
Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 601 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerman826
Good news became kind of bad news. They had another delay at the body shop. It was supposed to be in paint yesterday, but the only thing that they were able to do is spackle it (i think thats what its called). Where they put this black stuff on the car to find the"dimples" or low spots that they will have to put putty in before they start laying down the paint. Someone can correct me if I am wrong about something there, I cant remember 100%. But now we are looking towards the end of the week before it is done. I talked to the insurance company about the rental car and they informed me that even though they caused a delay in the repair of the car, that I was still limited to the $30/day, $900 total amounts. The day I have to turn the car in is Tuesday, unless I want to pay for it out of pocket, which I dont really want to do. I guess the wife will be without a car for a few days unless she wants to wake up early in order to take me to work, which I doubt she will do. Heres to hoping there is no more delays.
Delays are inevitable with body work. It took them an extra week to get my CL done. Hopefully the delay is because they are taking their time to make sure it is done right.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Jokerman

Just went in today and found them buffing out the car. They finished painting it on saturday and wet sanded it this morning. They had two guys working on the wet sand from what I understand. The area where they already buffed looks great. I also had to make sure that they knew how to put the 07-08 mirrors on, because they need to swap the mounting bolts to make the install go smoothly. Still looking at thursday, or friday at the latest.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Just went in today and found them buffing out the car. They finished painting it on saturday and wet sanded it this morning. They had two guys working on the wet sand from what I understand. The area where they already buffed looks great. I also had to make sure that they knew how to put the 07-08 mirrors on, because they need to swap the mounting bolts to make the install go smoothly. Still looking at thursday, or friday at the latest.
Good deal!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
takes a day or two for paint to cure?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Make sure you get a good look at the car in the sun and don't accept any buffer swirls in the paint. Don't let them tell you that's what happens when you buff a car because it only happens if they don't have a clue how to do it right.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
takes a day or two for paint to cure?
they bake the paint after they apply it, even though I know baking doesnt always cure it 100%. Also they only have a half day on saturday. Oh well at least the paint is on the car.

Last edited by jokerman826; 10-31-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

now the only bad thing is that when you get the car back...no waxing for in upwards of 90 days. detail spray ok...NO WAX. keep your baby clean once you get her back. the paint needs to finish breathing out. no need for future bubbles or blisters if you wax too early. of course check with the shop when you can for sure apply wax/sealant to the car.

i'm sure watching the process of your car go through what it has...its a relief to finally see the end result (soon). make sure to check the fitment of everything, bumpers, mirrors, doors it they came off, trunk lid....everything. also make sure everything closes the way it suppose to. my trunk after my bumper was replaced/repainted, didn't quite close the way it did. ended up finding that the weather stripping was not put back on correctly causing it to be a little tougher for the trunk to close.

make that check list of items to check and make sure all is good before you leave the shop. fitment/gaps, paint finish, electronics, door closing, windows, etc. you have visited your car while its been in "surgery" so you know what they took apart. i'll be going through my list when i pick up my MDX hopefully on thurs. nice to know that things are coming along.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 601 Likes on 418 Posts
Sweet. You better post a ton of pics when they get it done.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
now the only bad thing is that when you get the car back...no waxing for in upwards of 90 days. detail spray ok...NO WAX. keep your baby clean once you get her back. the paint needs to finish breathing out. no need for future bubbles or blisters if you wax too early. of course check with the shop when you can for sure apply wax/sealant to the car.

i'm sure watching the process of your car go through what it has...its a relief to finally see the end result (soon). make sure to check the fitment of everything, bumpers, mirrors, doors it they came off, trunk lid....everything. also make sure everything closes the way it suppose to. my trunk after my bumper was replaced/repainted, didn't quite close the way it did. ended up finding that the weather stripping was not put back on correctly causing it to be a little tougher for the trunk to close.

make that check list of items to check and make sure all is good before you leave the shop. fitment/gaps, paint finish, electronics, door closing, windows, etc. you have visited your car while its been in "surgery" so you know what they took apart. i'll be going through my list when i pick up my MDX hopefully on thurs. nice to know that things are coming along.
It looks like we will be picking up our vehicles on the same day.

The paint was baked on after they applied it, Acording to what I was told by the shop, i can wax it right away, but they "recommend" to wait a few weeks. I also asked about that 3M coating and the guy told me that he has had people put it on right away after painting without any issues, but it would be better to wait a month or two.

I know when I go pick up my car, i will have my wife, and unfortunately, the sun will be going down when i go to pick it up. One thing i have noticed in teh past is that you can see swirl mark better under the flourescent and mercury vapor lighting. Like i have stated in an earlier post, my wife notices things more than i do.

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Sweet. You better post a ton of pics when they get it done.
You know i will be posting a crapton of photos. I will just have to find a good place in order to take pics. The weather isnt getting any better here in IL, so hopefully it holds out until i can get a phot shoot done.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Mr. Detail

The reason you hold off on waxing it to allow the paint to fully cure. If you seal it prior to that with a wax or sealant, then the paint never fully cures to proper hardness and the paint will be more susceptible to marring and scratching. Factory paint jobs are baked at far higher temperatures than a body shop can bake a repaint (unless the car is completely disassembled and even then they usually don't have ovens capable of generating enough heat. A general rule of thumb is that after you can park a car overnight in an enclosed garage without smelling the new paint smell in the morning, the paint has outgassed and is cured enough to wax.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by Scottwax
The reason you hold off on waxing it to allow the paint to fully cure. If you seal it prior to that with a wax or sealant, then the paint never fully cures to proper hardness and the paint will be more susceptible to marring and scratching. Factory paint jobs are baked at far higher temperatures than a body shop can bake a repaint (unless the car is completely disassembled and even then they usually don't have ovens capable of generating enough heat. A general rule of thumb is that after you can park a car overnight in an enclosed garage without smelling the new paint smell in the morning, the paint has outgassed and is cured enough to wax.
Thanks for the info, but I know this already, waxing before it fully cures is the most likely the reason why people are having their repainted bumpers start pealing after a while. There are a lot of body shops who do not bake, so you have to wait about 3 months before waxing it. (had this with a new rear bumper). When it is baked the time to fully cure is shorted by a significant amount. Thats why it was reccommended that I wait a few weeks prior to waxing. As long as I can get a few good coats of wax on before it really starts snowing around here then i will be happy. I will be parking my car in the garage whenever I get home, even if for only 5 minutes, I am not taking the chance for someone (my neighbors) to mess it up again in front of my house.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
07 WDP TL Type S

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
jokerman, I just read through all 4 pages of this thread, and hope that your baby comes out looking brand new and perfect again! I can't imagine what it is like for u...
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Mr. Detail

Thanks for the info, but I know this already, waxing before it fully cures is the most likely the reason why people are having their repainted bumpers start pealing after a while. There are a lot of body shops who do not bake, so you have to wait about 3 months before waxing it. (had this with a new rear bumper). When it is baked the time to fully cure is shorted by a significant amount. Thats why it was reccommended that I wait a few weeks prior to waxing. As long as I can get a few good coats of wax on before it really starts snowing around here then i will be happy. I will be parking my car in the garage whenever I get home, even if for only 5 minutes, I am not taking the chance for someone (my neighbors) to mess it up again in front of my house.
Actually, the reason bumpers peel is because they weren't properly prepped in 90% of the cases.

The body shop I use and recommend to my customers does bake the cars but still recommends not waxing it for 90 days. He says that comes from Spies-Hecker, whose paints he uses.

If you want something that will protect the paint while still allowing it to cure, Optimum Car Wax works very well.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Jokerman

Ok, another update. I went in today and they were reassembling the car, The front bumper and side skirts were on. Ran into a problem with the front bumper (thought a part was transferable from the old bumper to new bumper, oh well), part is on its way to shop. Got a call this afternoon from shop, they were in the process of replacing the front windshield when they discovered rust underneeth it. They said it was repairable, but would cost about $130 to do it out of my pocket. Obviously I approved that repair. When I was there at lunch, they said it would be ready at the earliest, late thursday. But more like friday. Since they found this rust and are going to repair it, now it may not be until Monday.

Like I have said before, I am glad I chose this place, they are doing the job right the first time. If i chose the insurance company's reapir shop then they would have most likly just done a crappy ass job and would have let that rust go.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Sounds like the shop is good. I would def not wax or apply 3M vinyl to fresh paint for 30-60 days. The paint does need to outgas. Paint can be buffed right away after it cools. Some clears are designed for quick turn around repairs, quick hardening.

The fresh paint needs to be babied until it fully cures. It will scratch/mar easy, and is more susceptible to chemical contamination.

Rust on the pinch weld, under the windshield could indicate a (poorly) previously replaced windshield.

The black coating over primer is called a guide coat. Usually its a black powder rubbed on cured primer before wetsanding.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by powerflow
Sounds like the shop is good. I would def not wax or apply 3M vinyl to fresh paint for 30-60 days. The paint does need to outgas. Paint can be buffed right away after it cools. Some clears are designed for quick turn around repairs, quick hardening.

The fresh paint needs to be babied until it fully cures. It will scratch/mar easy, and is more susceptible to chemical contamination.

Rust on the pinch weld, under the windshield could indicate a (poorly) previously replaced windshield.

The black coating over primer is called a guide coat. Usually its a black powder rubbed on cured primer before wetsanding.
Thanks for the info.

Thats what they said about the windshield, whoever replaced it messed up the paint and should have put primer down before putting the new windshield on.

I am not too sure about the black stuff, because it was put on the car after the primer was "blocked" and before they scuffed in order to put the paint on. It looked like little black strings over the primer in areas that they didnt touch and areas that they "wiped off" the stuff, it was little black dots.

I am definately going to wait a bit before I wax, Like i said before, I hope I can get a coat or two on before the winter really hits up here in the chicgao area.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Mr. Detail

If i chose the insurance company's reapir shop then they would have most likly just done a crappy ass job and would have let that rust go.
They love to send you to the chains like Collision King and Service Master, neither of which do quality work.

I have a friend who owns a body shop and he always has to fight with insurance companies so he can do the work right. He says that dealing with insurance is a necessary evil if you want to keep getting referrals from them.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by Scottwax
They love to send you to the chains like Collision King and Service Master, neither of which do quality work.

I have a friend who owns a body shop and he always has to fight with insurance companies so he can do the work right. He says that dealing with insurance is a necessary evil if you want to keep getting referrals from them.
yeah, they actually struck a deal with the insurance company to keep the repair bill at 80% of the cars estimated value, which is $9600, so that the car would not be totaled. Their original estimate they gave me was around $11,500, but they found new things and discounted their per hour fees to match the insurance companies quote. Their latest total they had before the agreement was $11,600, but I saved about $360 on that by having them put on the body kit side moldings instead of the regular, the body kit side skirts were half the price of the regular ones. But like I said before, if this body sho needs any advertisement or good reviews, i would have no problem doing it.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Jokerman

Ok update from today. I called in to check out what was going on with the rust repair. They were working on sanding it down and priming it today. But also found out that they misplaced 3 parts that were supposed to be re-installed because they were not damaged. They were the drip moldings that go down each side of the vehicle from the front windshield over the roof and they lost the only belt modling (black part on the outside at the bottom of the rear door window) that wasnt messed up. So they had to order new ones. Their mistake is to my benefit.

I have been thinking though. They were originally going to replace the drip moldings before I had the second quote done. So maybe it was done on purpose. They have really helped me out with my car so who really knows but them. Since this happened we are looking more like Monday. But it all depends on when they get the parts in.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well...its getting taken care of...and that's the good thing.

my MDX is delayed as well...the initial redo did not pass the approval of the manager (which equates to meeting my standards). he had them repaint it again. so i'll be waiting until next week to get the X back.

so still looks like we'll be getting our cars back on the same day next week maybe. i told them no rush...i just want it done right and as close to perfect as possible. you're situation is a little different since you're in a rental. the light for you is getting a whole light brighter though! your TL will practically be brand new when you get her back.
Acura_Dude (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
well...its getting taken care of...and that's the good thing.

my MDX is delayed as well...the initial redo did not pass the approval of the manager (which equates to meeting my standards). he had them repaint it again. so i'll be waiting until next week to get the X back.

so still looks like we'll be getting our cars back on the same day next week maybe. i told them no rush...i just want it done right and as close to perfect as possible. you're situation is a little different since you're in a rental. the light for you is getting a whole light brighter though! your TL will practically be brand new when you get her back.
Sucks about the delay on your car. They should have done it right the first time. I go every other day to check out the car, as everyone prob knows because of my updates.

I no longer have the rental, i turned it in on tuesday, did not want to pay out of pocket. I took wife's car in on wednesday, neighbor took me to work today, wife picked me up. Tomorrow wife will have to wake up early since she needs her car and neighbor doesnt go in until 8, i have to be in before 7. And wife will be picking me up. we are going to indianna this weekend, and will figure out monday later. So for now, we have a plan.

Lets just hope for the best for both of us.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yeah it should have been done right 3 months ago...but...oh well. it is what it is now. at least the manager and i are on the same page as to expectations. he treated my TL like it was his own when it was there a few weeks ago...so he's as particular as i am. its all good. i just get to bond with my TL more is all.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Jokerman

Great news, they got the parts in, but not after they sent the car to the detailer to get it deep cleaned from the engine compartment to the trunk. Also while it is there it will be tinted the same way it was before (12" down from the top center and 5% tint). Once they get it back they will put the parts on. But they may not get it until really late today, and since I will not be in the area tomorrow, looks like I will definately be getting it back on monday. So as long as I get it back, everyone will have a chance to see the final outcome on monday and once i find a good place, i will get real good pics done
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yea!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Jokerman

Well just picked up my car today. It was delayed one more day due to an ordered piece coming in broken. I wish I would have gotten it back yesterday, it was sunny out, not today and for the rest of the week it is raining so I really can't got too good of inspection done until it stops. From what i could see inside it looked very nice. I only saw a problem with the front window. The tint has a lifted spot at the very bottom, which will most likely allow it to peel easily and the sealant they used wasnt trimmed. The paint looked great but once i get it out in the sun, i will be able to give it a real good look over. Also once i get some sun, i will be able to take some photos.
Acura_Dude (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on getting it back
Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

give it good look over during its first wash after the rain...that's the best time to really get in touch with the car again. i'm getting the MDX back tomorrow...i'll giving my other ride the once over when i get there. nice to hear you have your baby back...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Jokerman

Ok, found problem # 1 today. I was backing up for the first time in the day time and when i was turned around the windows that they replaced and retinted, did not look right. So i took out my cell phone and took a pic and I was right. They either put on the wrong % tint or the wrong color. The new tint looks lighter and yellower than the original. So they have to either find the correct color and percentage or change out the entire cars tint to what I want. I talked to the body shop and I was told to wait for a nice sunny day and make a list of what needs to be corrected. Hopefully, I can get a nice day before the week is out.
Acura_Dude (11-09-2011)