Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shut Off The Auto A/c ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Miss my 89 Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shut Off The Auto A/c ?

Does anyone know how to shut off the A/C auto on feature when you turn the fan on?? I can't figure out how to just turn the fan on w/o the A/C going on. It is really annoying. And according to the quick start guide "AUTO is displayed when the system is in fully automatic mode etc...." Even though it is linked to the remote transmitter every time I turn the fan on the A/C goes on...
Does anyone know how to shut this stupid feature off??
Old 09-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I usually push the AC button as soon as I start my car.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Racer

Why would you ever want to do this? This is the point of automatic climate control.. just set the desired temperature and forget it!

I never drive with my A/C off.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Do not use the auto function. Press the A/C button until the A/C off shows on the display.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhizopod
Why would you ever want to do this? This is the point of automatic climate control.. just set the desired temperature and forget it!

I used to live in Houston too....it might sound crazy, but in some parts of the country, they don't need A/C year-round.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brokedoc
I used to live in Houston too....it might sound crazy, but in some parts of the country, they don't need A/C year-round.
I think that the point here is that by leaving the climate control in the auto mode, the air is always being dehumidified regardless of whether it is also being heated or cooled.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
I think that the point here is that by leaving the climate control in the auto mode, the air is always being dehumidified regardless of whether it is also being heated or cooled.
When the weather is cold, hot air is usually enough to keep the windows defrosted and you can save gas when you shut off the compressor. I find that I very rarely need to turn on the compressor during NY winters.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Safety Car

When the weather is cold, hot air is usually enough to keep the windows defrosted and you can save gas when you shut off the compressor. I find that I very rarely need to turn on the compressor during NY winters.
i hear where you are coming from on my last cars i always just used heat to defrost the car and have never found the need to dehumidify the winter air as it is already pretty dry to begin with. i love the set it and forget it in the warm season with the a/c on but in the winter i think the same set it and forget it effect can be achieved with the a/c off because its warm air that is going to be pumped out.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:34 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yah, here in the SF Bay Area (I am about 8 miles east of SF) the weather is typically cool enough where I don't need to use the A/C. However, when I'm on the freeway I turn it on because I like the dehumidified condition of the cabin. In those cases I usually set it to 75 or higher so it only comes on every once in a while.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by caball88
i hear where you are coming from on my last cars i always just used heat to defrost the car and have never found the need to dehumidify the winter air as it is already pretty dry to begin with. i love the set it and forget it in the warm season with the a/c on but in the winter i think the same set it and forget it effect can be achieved with the a/c off because its warm air that is going to be pumped out.
Ok, perhaps, my old car has issues. Without the compressor in winter time, my 94Legend's windows will get foggy.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lore
Yah, here in the SF Bay Area (I am about 8 miles east of SF) the weather is typically cool enough where I don't need to use the A/C. However, when I'm on the freeway I turn it on because I like the dehumidified condition of the cabin. In those cases I usually set it to 75 or higher so it only comes on every once in a while.
If you set the climate control to Auto, I pretty sure the compressor cycles regardless of temperature. That's why you take the MPG hit if you leave it on auto all the time.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Racer

The other thing to consider here is that not using the AC in the winter is one of the major reasons for compressor (and possibly other AC components) failure. I always try to use the AC at least once a week in the winter. Otherwise, you get moisture build-up, seals may be damaged, and the compressor may seize since the oil is not being circulated throughout the system.

When using the front defroster, the AC will be on by default, regardless of whether you turn it on or not. That's typical in most cars since it will work much more efficiently.

Also, if you have any passengers in the car, their breath will tend to cause the windows to fog up. Especially if you have a lot of wind-bag friends. The AC will help with this.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rhizopod

For one thing, you can get better fuel economy running higher fan speeds. And I prefer personally only to use the A/C when it is quite hot, as I do not like the ionic charge's effects on my higher brain functions.

When I have the window open, I set the Recirc to closed to reduce unnecessary filtration as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Instructor

its now 2007 in my TLS and there is still no solution to this?? Why does the AC have to automatically be on by default? I understand if the system is in auto mode, but even in manual, if i shut the system off and then turn it on again, the AC is on. This is really annoying because in manual mode we should have full control of when the AC goes on or off.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Morbid

I hear ya, but since you can talk to your can, and it talks back, you could just pretend your on the Enterprise and push buttons all the time (turning off the a/c ever time you get in) OR say the word 'COMPUTER' and push the talk button so it seems like ur on the Enterprise and tell it to turn of the f*cking a/c.

Other than that, I feel the same way you do about it. But it would be nice to get photon torpedo's on the car.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evoman
its now 2007 in my TLS and there is still no solution to this?? Why does the AC have to automatically be on by default? I understand if the system is in auto mode, but even in manual, if i shut the system off and then turn it on again, the AC is on. This is really annoying because in manual mode we should have full control of when the AC goes on or off.
Just don't turn it off...

Turn the AC off, then just adjust temp, mode and fan speed as desired. It should stay like that indefinitely unless you hit the AC, defrost, or auto button... Is the 07 different or am I missing something here....?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
So, why not just push the AC on/off button on the right side of the console?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00126A.pdf

Owners Manual Page 127 and 128.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
So, why not just push the AC on/off button on the right side of the console?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00126A.pdf

Owners Manual Page 127 and 128.

Am I missing something?
LOL ... I am with you here .... why leave it in auto when I can be in full control?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

If you set the climate control to Auto, I pretty sure the compressor cycles regardless of temperature. That's why you take the MPG hit if you leave it on auto all the time.
The compressor cycles partly based on outside temperature, as outside temperature affects the refrigerant pressure, which triggers on and off points.

When it's chilly out, I'd be willing to bet that the compressor MPG hit is <1/2mpg.

And, as missmyprelude noted, *NOT* using the AC is one of the biggest causes of compressor failure. I have two cars that have 12+ years on the original compressors and refrigerant charges, and have never been refilled. I'd lay good money that it's due to the fact that they actually get used from time to time.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Even when you take it off auto, it defaults to AC ON after you shut down the system...and then you have to press the AC button again to turn it off. I know you could just leave the AC on all the time but I dont want to do that. I live in Canada and it gets cold and dry here during winter, no need for the AC to be on. I do use the AC every once in while in winter to keep the compressor moving but i dont need it on every minute...and the cycling of the compressor is really short...I guess there is no way to stop this or you guys would have said so already....oh well, it is just a minor annoyance...I still enjoy the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Gee, I never have this problem in either my '04 manual or '05 automatic TL. I use the A/C in the summer months when it make sense, and cycle it periodically in the cooler months to "exercise" it a bit. All other time, I am in the manual mode and everything works great. No automatic A/C coming on when I don't want or need it and no default to the AUTO mode. Can't understand how or why this is an issue or problem when its operation is really quite simple to get the desired settings.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Even when you take it off auto, it defaults to AC ON after you shut down the system...and then you have to press the AC button again to turn it off. I know you could just leave the AC on all the time but I dont want to do that. I live in Canada and it gets cold and dry here during winter, no need for the AC to be on. I do use the AC every once in while in winter to keep the compressor moving but i dont need it on every minute...and the cycling of the compressor is really short...I guess there is no way to stop this or you guys would have said so already....oh well, it is just a minor annoyance...I still enjoy the car.
My '07 TL-S doesn't
It stays right where I left it when I shut it off
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Car Guy

On my '05 I just push auto on, select the mode and temp I want, push the ac button to turn the ac off and leave it that way. Once I restart it is exactly the way I left it.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by u1arunit
On my '05 I just push auto on, select the mode and temp I want, push the ac button to turn the ac off and leave it that way. Once I restart it is exactly the way I left it.

On restarts, the climate control on my TL stays in the mode I selected before turning off the engine. I bounce between "Auto," setting a temp with the A/C off (I love SoCal weather!), and CC "Off"; the TL never defaults to anything other than what I select.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I am almost always in AUTO mode. The only times I override it are if I want to get a little more pep (A/C off) or if I need to boost the fan speed to clear out some unpleasant air in a hurry.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Racer

i know what you mean. even though the "a/c on" isn't in the display you can hear the compressor kick on. you press the a/c button and the display says "a/c off". i think of it as the system wants to keep windows as clear as it can so whether heat or cold the compressor will kick on.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Turn everything off, then turn up the fan and it should not have A/C on or the A/C off display or when just keep the temp on high when you turn off your temp control unit.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just push the ac button to turn the ac off. I did this today. I think I will always do this unless I get fogged up windows. Then I will have to use the defrost which will turn the ac back on. But no doubt, your mpg will be better without the ac running constantly.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

But no doubt, your mpg will be better without the ac running constantly.
Someone needs to do a test, because in cool weather, I'm not convinced of this. "Better" to me meaning at least 1mpg.