3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should've never went in for that oil change!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
you might as well bought a type s
~Jason
she did get a type-s
Old 04-07-2007, 06:45 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acura911
i just got a 2007 acura tl type s in feb and i'm paying $459 a month for 36 months with $3800 down.
Talk about misinformation. So you drove off in a new 07 TLS for 20,324? ... interesting.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by s2kduff
Talk about misinformation. So you drove off in a new 07 TLS for 20,324? ... interesting.
I assumed he meant a lease... If not, the cops are probably looking for him as we type!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:39 AM
** Ikimasho! **

Originally Posted by mdt0034
Thank you NYrecceman and boxstock. Yes, I agree, I shouldn't have bought it without taking the time to think about it. It just sucks cuz I drive way too much and 10k a year is nothing. I drove 22k in the year and a half I had the 04 TL.

Now I've heard from 3 people that I have 3 days to take it back. Is that true? What if I take it back and they don't have my 04 TL?
mdt0034, I am NOT a Lawyer, nor do I reprenent myself to be. Any serious consideration to legal issues should involve a state licensed attorney. That said, I think you are hosed. Many states have a "cooling off period" of three days which prevents the little old lady down the street from being pressure sold a new set of encyclopedias. However a quick check of your state law, and it appears that Oregon does not allow for a "Cooling Off Period" for Automobile purchases. http://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/coolingoffrule.shtml. Don't count on taking it back soon.

Most states don't allow the 3 day rule as the resale value of a car immediately drops once driven off of the car lot. If you haven't taken delivery then there is a ray of hope. If you did take the car, then you may have a very, very small chance if you can show that the dealership did not properly advise you of this fact. Please read ALL of your paperwork. Please tell me you did read the fine print.

Based on what very little I know of your situation, your only chance is to go back in and beg for mercy. Explain to them that you shouldn't have been taken advantage of, blah, blah, blah. Being polite and a little crying may be an effective tactic.

Good luck, but I think you just learned one of life's tough lessons. When buying something more than $500, say no at least three times before saying yes........
Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think some of us are missing the post by geekybiker which pretty much cleared up any questions anyone should have about this this issue. The link he posted contains an FAQ about New Car Purchases in Oregon.

http://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/questions221.shtml

FAQs About New Car Purchases

Frequently Asked Questions About New Car Purchases

Q:If the dealer can't get the interest rate or other terms I was promised, can I undo the deal even though I took the new car off the lot and left my trade-in with the dealer?
A:Absolutely. You cannot be forced to change the terms of the original deal or be required to sign a new deal.

Q:If I don't like the car I bought this weekend, can't I just return it within three days and get my money back?
A:No! Car buyers do not have this right. Once you sign the paper work, it will be difficult or impossible to undo the deal.

Q:What should I do if I feel like I'm being pressured to make a deal I don't like?
A:Walk away. Tactics such as holding a consumer's keys to keep them from leaving the dealership and "packing" the final deal with expensive add-ons that weren't part of the original negotiations are unlawful.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 AM
アキュラ 力

I think some of us are missing the post by geekybiker which pretty much cleared up any questions anyone should have about this this issue. The link he posted contains an FAQ about New Car Purchases in Oregon.

Here is the URL to the acutal website: http://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/questions221.shtml

Q:If the dealer can't get the interest rate or other terms I was promised, can I undo the deal even though I took the new car off the lot and left my trade-in with the dealer?
A:Absolutely. You cannot be forced to change the terms of the original deal or be required to sign a new deal.

Q:If I don't like the car I bought this weekend, can't I just return it within three days and get my money back?
A:No! Car buyers do not have this right. Once you sign the paper work, it will be difficult or impossible to undo the deal.

Q:What should I do if I feel like I'm being pressured to make a deal I don't like?
A:Walk away. Tactics such as holding a consumer's keys to keep them from leaving the dealership and "packing" the final deal with expensive add-ons that weren't part of the original negotiations are unlawful.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 AM
アキュラ 力

Here is the URL to the acutal website that geekybiker posted: http://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/questions221.shtml

Old 04-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Well, I do want to thank everyone for the advice and I guess the critisisms or putdowns, I know I deserved it.

I know I shouldn't have gone in there but the fact is I did.

This is what I learned today... the finance manager told me that since the paperwork has already been sent to the leasing office AND to the DMV, it's considered a "used" car, so basically they can't take it back.

Since I DO plan on keeping this car for longer than 3 years (length of the lease), then the dealer SAID that I shouldn't worry about going over the mileage. Once the 3 years is up, I can take it to my credit union and have them finance the remaining amount of the loan. (In my paperwork it says for $23000)

OR if I wanted a higher interest rate (current is 3.9%), I could take it to my credit union at any time and refinance it, with possibly lower payments.

Yes, I know I made a mistake but the car is FREAKIN AWESOME!! Put me down all you want, tell me I'm a stupid blonde (which I'm not), tell me I should have a guy go with me next time, or tell me that the deal sucked... ok, I can handle it... like I said, it's all good.

Ya live and learn right? I was more worried about the mileage than the payment. Yes, it will be tough for me for awhile (and I don't need 3 jobs to make the payment, I have a great job that pays well) but I can do this.

It is a BEAUTIFUL car!!! I may be stupid to some of you (or all) but I do have great taste in cars!!
I'm glad you've been able to come to terms with your purchase (since you do have a really nice car we can't call it a mistake). You did kind of get screwed on the price, but on the positive side your TL type S will be worth several thousand dollars more than your $23000 buy out at the end even if you are over on the mileage.

When your lease is up, you can actually trade your lease in. It only would make sense to do this if they will give you more than your buy out, but they will probably give you around 25 or 26k for it. You can take the equity and put it down on a 2010 model.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Yea, it's too bad buying a new car isn't like buying a toaster from Wal-Mart! Try it for a week, if you don't like it bring it back!

If it's any consolation, we made a similar bone-head move back in 1997 with a new Toyota Avalon. Leased it, paid more than it was worth, ended up upside down and over mileage at the end of the lease. We survived though... We ended up negotiating the buy-out at the end of the lease and then traded it for a Camry. We were still a little upside down, but had a new car and a payment that was about the same (we purchased the Camry). Most of all, we learned a valuable lesson, and have never paid MSRP for a new vehicle since, and have always done the research and known the numbers before ever setting foot on the lot!

Leases have changed a lot since then, and I'm told most leases that go through the manufacturer's financial services are no longer negotiable because the dealership can normally re-sell the vehicle for more than the residual, so they prefer to just take them back. But knowing this also gives you an advantage and will allow you to negotiate a trade value that is greater than the residual. The residual on the Camry we just traded was $13K and we negotiated $13,500 which gave us $500 down on the new TL. Enjoy the new car for the next three years knowing that your time is coming, and next time you'll walk away the winner!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm...I just checked back in on this.

Uhhh...Guys! Who are you talking to? The chick with the nice car is gone!

She isn't responding because she has already made up her mind. She is out enjoying her new car. She said thank you now I am going out to burn rubber on some unsuspecting fool since I'm stuck with this thing!

Am I the only one that read post #55?? (it is Easter after all)
Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
TL SL ML :)

Originally Posted by darksom1
Hmm...I just checked back in on this.

Uhhh...Guys! Who are you talking to? The chick with the nice car is gone!

She isn't responding because she has already made up her mind. She is out enjoying her new car. She said thank you now I am going out to burn rubber on some unsuspecting fool since I'm stuck with this thing!

Am I the only one that read post #55?? (it is Easter after all)
Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

To original poster:

Are you sure you bought a Type-S? Not to ask a stupid question but I thought the type-S doesn't come in Royal Blue, only the regular TL. I think Kinetic Blue is the only blue color for the Type-S.

Assuming you did get a Type-S, here is what this cost you if you assume a 5% interest rate and buy at the end of the lease based on your buyout amount you mentioned of $23,000.

Present value of $680 per month for 36 months = $22,689.
Present value of $23,000 to buy the car at end of 3 years = $19,868.

Total in today's dollars = $42,557.

We can ignore the $3,000 down payment you made because this was to payoff the amount owed on the trade-in.

Of course 5% interest is just an assumption (could use 4%, 6%, etc.). Regardless, you probably will have spent $5-$7K more than if you would have bought it with cash at a reasonable price of $36,500 for a Type-S

Not the best financial decision but not the end of the world either. At least you have a great car.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NBP07type_s10
To original poster:

Are you sure you bought a Type-S? Not to ask a stupid question but I thought the type-S doesn't come in Royal Blue, only the regular TL. I think Kinetic Blue is the only blue color for the Type-S.

Assuming you did get a Type-S, here is what this cost you if you assume a 5% interest rate and buy at the end of the lease based on your buyout amount you mentioned of $23,000.

Present value of $680 per month for 36 months = $22,689.
Present value of $23,000 to buy the car at end of 3 years = $19,868.

Total in today's dollars = $42,557.

We can ignore the $3,000 down payment you made because this was to payoff the amount owed on the trade-in.

Of course 5% interest is just an assumption (could use 4%, 6%, etc.). Regardless, you probably will have spent $5-$7K more than if you would have bought it with cash at a reasonable price of $36,500 for a Type-S

Not the best financial decision but not the end of the world either. At least you have a great car.
My wife (the color expert) corrected me and Kinetic Blue is apparently the same as Royal Blue so my apologies for thinking you didn't get a Type-S.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced

My Favorite Mistake.....

Here are a few pics I took yesterday.....

Old 04-07-2007, 01:51 PM
atam

Way to go on posting the license plate, that should educate some. About the deal dont worry, weve all done it!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced

What? It's the dealers plate... it shows nothing. Does that matter??
Old 04-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man f#%k what half of these folks say and enjoy your car. If the payments dont bother you then go ahead and drive that beast. Theres other ways to handle mileage situations once the lease is up. So dont stress yourself.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Instructor

What? It's the dealers plate... it shows nothing. Does that matter??
Ha, only that anyone buying from that dealership: Buyer Beware!

Awesome looking TL-S!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 PM

This thread is getting way too long...let it be, she likes the car and doesn't mind the payment...end of story
Old 04-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

best looking mistake i've seen in a while . my last mitake was "before" i got married and she didn't look half as good as ur TL-S.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Space for Rent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Go read your paperwork and figure out what your options are. If you get the chance to do over, negotiate the price down $40k for a $35k car and make sure your milage meets your needs.

I'm not going to beat you up for it, you'll be much harder on yourself. :-) Good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Hello, niiiiice car... hope everything works out....until then, enjoy your new car.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
best looking mistake i've seen in a while . my last mitake was "before" i got married and she didn't look half as good as ur TL-S.
post a picture of your wife so i can be the judge of that
Old 04-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good thing is you showed us the back of the car and we now know not to trust that dealer.

You are not really in that bad of shape. If you can afford the payment you can sell the car at the end of the lease. I bet you can drive the miles you want each year and still sell the car for more than the pay off at lease end. These cars hold the resale value real well.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tone-NBP
hahaha....that's why i qualified the statement using "before" i got married meaning the (bad) mistakes before meeting my wife
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Go Gators!

i bought my car too when i was just going in for an oil change on my rsx! i just started walking around and next thing i knew i was buying a type s
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Wow, I would like to see the outcome of this one. That was pretty crazy!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tone-NBP
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Alright, I've had the car for a week, I absolutely love it!! (but everyday I tell myself I'm so stupid!!)

I plan on refinancing the car through my credit union sometime. Right now the interest rate is so low compared to my credit union's interest rate that I think I'm going to keep it where its at for awhile.

I know I messed up. I just figured that since I'm single, have no kids, don't want to buy a house until I'm married then why not spoil myself now?

Anyways, thanks for the advice, critisism, comments, etc. It was hard hearing some of them but it was also good. Just proved to myself that I really messed up!

But like some people have said.... just enjoy the car! It IS a great car. I plan on tinting the windows to about 15-20%. That's all I have plans for.... I like everything else on the car.

So for now I say.....
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Alright, I've had the car for a week, I absolutely love it!! (but everyday I tell myself I'm so stupid!!)

I plan on refinancing the car through my credit union sometime. Right now the interest rate is so low compared to my credit union's interest rate that I think I'm going to keep it where its at for awhile.

I know I messed up. I just figured that since I'm single, have no kids, don't want to buy a house until I'm married then why not spoil myself now?

Anyways, thanks for the advice, critisism, comments, etc. It was hard hearing some of them but it was also good. Just proved to myself that I really messed up!

But like some people have said.... just enjoy the car! It IS a great car. I plan on tinting the windows to about 15-20%. That's all I have plans for.... I like everything else on the car.

So for now I say.....
You go girl! Throw accountability, responsability and financial prudence to the wind and enjoy life! You'll have plenty of time for that other crap when you married with children!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:30 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Indy Paul
You go girl! Throw accountability, responsability and financial prudence to the wind and enjoy life! You'll have plenty of time for that other crap when you married with children!
Ah.....another fellow Indy resident! We almost have enough for a local chapter here now! lol
Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Sounds like you are happier with your decision today than you were last week.

Like we say in advertising, you had a cas eof cognitive dissonance...most often occurs after the purchase of an expensive item such as an automobile. A consumer who is experiencing cognitive dissonance after his or her purchase may attempt to return the product or may seek positive information about it to justify the choice. If the buyer is unable to justify the purchase, he or she will also be less likely to purchase that brand again. An advertiser of high-priced durable goods has said that half of their advertising is done to reassure consumers that in purchasing their product the right choice was made.

I do have to say that you made a better desision than my idiot coworker. He leased an 2006 3 series BMW (small engine) for $780 per month. He could have bought the car for less than that.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Pics Of The Driver Plez.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

So for now I say.....
Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Racer

I just got the same Kinetic Blue TL-S.

Just enjoy the car and don't ever let anyone you know buy from that dealer.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Ok, it is Royal Blue Pearl or Kinetic Blue?? My Acura Ownerlink webpage says kinetic blue but the tag on my keychain when I bought the car said royal blue pearl and I believe the dealer also said royal blue pearl. I did see 2 different blues at the dealership when I was there.

Doesn't it have the color on the inside part of the door?

Well, whatever color it is... is really is pretty!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM
G
Bitten.

Ok, it is Royal Blue Pearl or Kinetic Blue?? My Acura Ownerlink webpage says kinetic blue but the tag on my keychain when I bought the car said royal blue pearl and I believe the dealer also said royal blue pearl. I did see 2 different blues at the dealership when I was there.

Doesn't it have the color on the inside part of the door?

Well, whatever color it is... is really is pretty!
It's Kinetic Blue. Royal Blue is deeper.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor

You're salesperson should have given you the Window sticker when you took delivery (or they put it in your glove box), that will list the exterior color on the next to where the VIN is listed. Also, the door will have a color code, but you need to know the codes to determine it from that. If I remember correctly, the Type S is offered in Kinetic Blue, the regular TL comes in Royal Blue Pearl.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 PM
04 NBP 6MT

The only real mistake you made was getting the 5AT instead of 6MT.

Quick Reply: Should've never went in for that oil change!!