Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping carts touching my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping carts touching my car!!

I got back from doing my weekly groceries shop and I found 2 shopping carts touching my car !!!!!

I hate this, how can people be so careless
Old 07-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
You're parking too close...there shouldn't be a car parked within AT LEAST 5 parking spaces of your car, especially at any place that has carts (10 spaces at Wally World).
Old 07-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by chill_dog
You're parking too close...there shouldn't be a car parked within AT LEAST 5 parking spaces of your car, especially at any place that has carts (10 spaces at Wally World).
And you may still find an a$$ that will be careless and park next to you, ding your door and leave the cart touching your car.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

u have to park way way back in the lot where it's completely out of the shopping cart zone. in fact it will be so far away that your passengers will think you are a complete pyscho. that is the only way to prevent shopping cart dings.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the car garaged and bike to the store.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Park away from the idiots!!! If there is an inclined area toward the rear, I usually park there. This way carts can't make their way up if it's a windy day.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by AsianMan
Park away from the idiots!!! If there is an inclined area toward the rear, I usually park there. This way carts can't make their way up if it's a windy day.
The wind might not be able to coax the carts uphill, but maybe the carts themselves want a closer look, and are drawn to your new, shiny ride.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM
5th Gear

Not too long ago, I was walking back to my car (parked as far away as possible) from the grocery store. The store's parking lot is actually up a hill...the store is at the low point. I noted several shopping carts placed precariously in the hilly lot.

As I got to my car, about 100 feet away, in another part of the lot, I watched to my suprise (and horror) as a runaway shopping cart disaster scenario was in full progress. It was going too fast and was too far away for me to do anything other than watch (not to mention arms full of groceries). It struck with a sickening thud into shiny yellow Cavalier.

I learned an important lesson that day...not only to assume the worst about people's lack of respect of other cars when they park (their cars OR shopping carts), also to take gravity into account.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Pro

I made the mistake of parking right next to the cart return thing, and some dingbat in a Lexus goes for a three pointer with the shopping cart from across the aisle as I'm walking out. I saw the damn thing bounce off the metal rail and hit the back of my car. No damage, but I power shoved the thing right into the guy's car as he was pulling out and then made fun of him for driving into the cart I pushed into his car. I was screaming and making a scene yelling at him for not looking before he backed up to see if someone was shoving a cart across the aisle and all sorts of shit. He must have thought I was a raving lunatic.

He knew full well that I shoved the cart into him on purpose, but that will be the last time he's careless again.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Lunatic

Bsm

Makes a hell of case for getting the body side moulding option when buying a new TL. Too bad it messes up the lines of the car...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
05 WDP TL

sucks to hear that man.....

thats why most of the time i park really really far or use my handicapped sign and park up front so i can see it! i might get flamed for saying that but if you love your car like i love mine.....you'll do anything to keep ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING away!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to add my

Dont you just hate it when you park as far as you can by yourself, go in the store and when you walk out, there is a rusted piece of sh*t pickup parked net to your brand spanking new TL.

It happened to me in the first week I took delivery this spring and I took a good 5 minutes to check for any dings on the side of my car.

As I was walking towards my car, I started to have some dark thoughts about destroying this rust bucket by first breaking the windowns and puncture all 4 tires should there be any damage on the car. And if I still felt angry, wait for the driver and beat him to a pulp (Sorry can't shoot him as we are not allowed to carry a firearm in Canada).

Good for me my car was still in pristine condition.

So, the morale of the story, While we still park as far as possible and with no cars in at least the next 5 spaces all around our cars, there still be careless people who would go out of their way to render your life miserable.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 07-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr.motoring
The wind might not be able to coax the carts uphill, but maybe the carts themselves want a closer look, and are drawn to your new, shiny ride.
Sound's like a Stephen King novel.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by frenchnew
Just to add my

Dont you just hate it when you park as far as you can by yourself, go in the store and when you walk out, there is a rusted piece of sh*t pickup parked net to your brand spanking new TL.

It happened to me in the first week I took delivery this spring and I took a good 5 minutes to check for any dings on the side of my car.

As I was walking towards my car, I started to have some dark thoughts about destroying this rust bucket by first breaking the windowns and puncture all 4 tires should there be any damage on the car. And if I still felt angry, wait for the driver and beat him to a pulp (Sorry can't shoot him as we are not allowed to carry a firearm in Canada).

Good for me my car was still in pristine condition.

So, the morale of the story, While we still park as far as possible and with no cars in at least the next 5 spaces all around our cars, there still be careless people who would go out of their way to render your life miserable.

Best regards

frenchnew
That happens at the beach too... hundreds of yards of open sand and the lady with the fat annoying kids that kicks sand all over the place has her blanket 5 feet away from me.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
The grocery store near my house DOES NOT HAVE the cart-return corrals--you're supposed to take it back to the store. Apparently the landlord won't allow them. Guess where I try to avoid shopping unless I have no choice?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I always park as far away as possible from hazards like shopping carts, careless people and the combination of the two. Only thing is, over here in MD anyway, people fly through the empty portion of the lot with their cars, cutting across the spaces to get to the other aisle.

I lost a rear quarter panel on my civic from an idiot doing just the same thing. Of course they ran after hitting it. (A$$hole)

When it comes down to it...our beloved automobile is not truly safe unless we can be gaurding it, or it's parked in our garage. This world is full of way too many careless people, that not only don't care about their things, but do not care about things of others either.

I've seen people with brand new cars - come out of the grocery store with their cart, come up to their car and rest the metal cart against the brand new paint on their car - I cringe. I guess if they don't even take care of their own possessions, how can we expect them to take care of ours and others.

Sorry just had to vent. Because the only day I had no choice but to park up close, I get my very first ding (after 10 months of ding-free ownership)
Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you people are funny...lol I feel the same way about my car as well. I had my 3 month old car in the parking lot at work and the landscaper came to clean up the winter sand and put mulch down. I looked out the window from the 3 rd floor to see a person with a commercial leaf blower blowing the sand against my car. They did this to all the cars in the lot rather than have them moved. By the time I was down to look at my car, there was some mulch on the grille.

I was not pleased but these were total morons doing the job and the building owner was liable for any damages. Of course people said this is why I do not own new cars. Yet another woman said its just a car. I said ok I will put you two year old out there and have him sand blasted. He probably plays in it all day and eats it as well..

The fact is that people should respect other people's property but then do not give a dam.

Also a new car does nothing but fade as soon as it is on the road. fact of life I am afraid...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan
I always park as far away as possible from hazards like shopping carts, careless people and the combination of the two. Only thing is, over here in MD anyway, people fly through the empty portion of the lot with their cars, cutting across the spaces to get to the other aisle.
A couple of weeks ago I saw some woman blast through the parking lot at the Giant I mentioned above (yeh, we were there, but not in my TL). A lady was pushing a shopping cart in a crosswalk (one of the few who properly RETURN the carts!) and the woman driving the car smacked right into the cart, spun it around with the other lady still attached to it, and kept going and went and parked in a different part of the lot. Several of us saw what happened and ran over to see if she was OK; a few minutes later, the woman who was driving came back and yelled, "Why she hit my car? Why she hit my car? She just smack my car with dat cart!" (Never mind that the car was probably going 30 mph in a parking lot.)

Needless to say, the police were called and the woman driving was found at fault. The grocery store also has those plastic carts for people with kids--the kids sit in front and have little steering wheels to play with. I shudder to think of what would have happened had the lady been pushing one of those.

I guess the bottom line is that if you want to be 100% safe, leave the car in the garage at home, but if that isn't practical, park as far away from the store in a relatively sheltered spot where people won't be cutting through. I still hesitate to park next to a curb, though, because the lazy shits put their carts up on the grass and I'm afraid they'll roll off.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
And you may still find an a$$ that will be careless and park next to you, ding your door and leave the cart touching your car.
True...it happened to me once...at least 10 spaces away, and they parked next to me (at least 50 other spots to choose from, too)...thankfully, no dings...I think it's obvious what the person is thinking when their car is parked out there like that...how much of a dumb $hit do you have to be to park right next to them?

Originally Posted by mr.motoring
Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by apwalsh
That happens at the beach too... hundreds of yards of open sand and the lady with the fat annoying kids that kicks sand all over the place has her blanket 5 feet away from me.
Just choke the little bastards!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

lol i thought i was alone... its good to find comfort amongst other people who are really intense about keeping their car perfect. i think i'm one of the more extreme, and its only a lease. i dont think i could ever own a car, the stress would kill me.

we all need to build a community somewhere
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by akm13tl
I got back from doing my weekly groceries shop and I found 2 shopping carts touching my car !!!!!

I hate this, how can people be so careless
Yep people just don't care, too damn lazy to take their shopping carts to the corale, or just being A**holes. My wife does all the grocery shopping in my house. My TL and I stay home

when I do have to park my TL to a parking lot. I avoid parking next to mini vans, and SUVs.

I also park far away from other cars and if I can't do that, I park next to other nice cars because chances are their owners care just as much about their car as I do about mine.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
you people are funny...lol I feel the same way about my car as well. I had my 3 month old car in the parking lot at work and the landscaper came to clean up the winter sand and put mulch down. I looked out the window from the 3 rd floor to see a person with a commercial leaf blower blowing the sand against my car. They did this to all the cars in the lot rather than have them moved. By the time I was down to look at my car, there was some mulch on the grille.

I was not pleased but these were total morons doing the job and the building owner was liable for any damages. Of course people said this is why I do not own new cars. Yet another woman said its just a car. I said ok I will put you two year old out there and have him sand blasted. He probably plays in it all day and eats it as well..

The fact is that people should respect other people's property but then do not give a dam.

Also a new car does nothing but fade as soon as it is on the road. fact of life I am afraid...
I hate those leaf blowing people! They blow all over you car and don'e even give a damn. One of my friends had just bought a brand new F150 Lightning and when he caught those guys blowing the leaf blower on his truck, he cussed him out.