Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting from R to D etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shifting from R to D etc...

When you guys are backing up, do you wait for the car to come to a complete stop before shifting to drive? Are there any negatives for not waiting to stop completely?

Also, i noticed that sometimes when i park the car on a hill and i put the gear in Park, pull the hand-brake, the car shifts a little bit after I release the brake pedal. Is that bad for the car as well? I know there are numerous threads about the trick to not make it jump after you put it in park, but i dont remember anyone mentioning what kind of damages can happen from this. Sometimes i just forget when its a force of habit to just put the gear into park right away.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I dont know if it can damage anything, but I tried that in my mom's Cav, and it was kinda jerky, but over time it eased a bit and sometimes still moving backwards when in drive and vice versa. the E-brake thing is nothing though. Do you think that you could pull the handle hard enough to stop a 3500 pound car from rolling down the hill withour help from the front brakes?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
before i shift into park on a hill, i go to neutral and apply the e brake, then go to park...that way the car is resting on brake and not transmission...as for shifting from r to d, i wait til the car stops....dont know if what you do will hurt, but i dont do it....
Old 03-17-2008, 11:15 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ ditto

ive been using parking brakes since i was 17 on all my cars, and it DEFINITELY saves the transmission.. no weight on the tranny

if even after you pull the parking brake, and get off the brakes, you feel the car move up a little, adjust the parking brake on the rear wheels... tighten up the cable too...

and ALWAYS wait for the car to stop before swapping out gears.... its not good for the tranmission
Old 03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

What if im in reverse, then shift it to neutral while it is still moving, then into Drive? would that help any bit? sometimes i feel like i have to wait too long for it to stop, i wanna save those precious seconds

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^^ ditto

ive been using parking brakes since i was 17 on all my cars, and it DEFINITELY saves the transmission.. no weight on the tranny

if even after you pull the parking brake, and get off the brakes, you feel the car move up a little, adjust the parking brake on the rear wheels... tighten up the cable too...

and ALWAYS wait for the car to stop before swapping out gears.... its not good for the tranmission
Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 AM
East Coast Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you don't hear any pops, then you should be okay. My father usually does this. He reverse and as soon as he's going about 2 mph, he'll shift it into drive and go. Not sure if this is a good thing. Our transmission has syncros, so I think it'll be okay.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread reminds me of the time I had a Chrysler Pacifica rental car. I was going about 35 mph then shifted into park to see what would happen.

The car wasn't too happy after that.....
Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
that delay you are getting is the computer saving your tranny for drivers like yourself...
my process is usually holding the break till I feel the gear engange... the seconds you are saving you could get back by running to your door lmfao....

my process... pull up... full stop with foot break (which also uses the rear)... d to p... ebrake up... (all the way up) maximum... (better hand brake swap than tranny swap)... and then and only then do I lift off the brake pedal... sometimes I will be gathering my things from the center console with the engine off and my leg still on the break pedal...

just remember that breaks are cheaper than drivetrain components no matter if you are covered under warranty or not
Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Morbid

Originally Posted by ifirahse
This thread reminds me of the time I had a Chrysler Pacifica rental car. I was going about 35 mph then shifted into park to see what would happen.

which is you dont buy a used car that was a rental car.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
when you do that it stalls... I did it rolling at 5mph in a enterprise kia rio
Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am really sure when you're switching from R to D like that you're really grinding some gears... Think about it.. here's a rough diagram of an automatic

|
--}) | } ) } }) }
|___

Now, the curly brackets are the gears. The Parethesis is the drive. I think with our car its 1,2 3,4 and overdrive 5. so 3 drive gears. Something like that, correct me if I'm wrong, please. I opened up an older transmission a few years ago, and this is what I saw. Not sure about the new Acuras. Anyways, when you're going from one gear to the next, one goesin, the other goes out. Now the gears are directional, except for 4th, that is mmmm forgot what its called. If you're in reverse.. and the drive is in gear, imagine if you put it into drive and the drive is still on the reverse gear. Now the reverse gear is being forced backwards.... this is NOT good. But if you wait for the gears to switch, then you're letting the drive off of the 'D' or 'R' gear (it's basically a circular gear that is cut from the inside) and moving the other one in.

Just as a thought, my friends Q4 Infiniti is really bad. He does that all the time, and the transmission sounds like a POS right now. Everytime I drive it... and it switches gears, you can hear that shit. When you take off from a stop, you can hear it. It has a really bad sounds, can't quite explain it. The car is 3-4 yrs old too.. so you can imagine what that does to your transmission.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced

Well I do tha quick r-d thing almost everyday @ work driving my ambulance and over time I start noticing that tha truck is either shifting 2 early or 2 late @ times... our truck r always goin out for pm for that shit...... everytime I park on a hill in tha tl I go in park 1st then e brake and I put it in reverse 1 more time then back on p... my boys a merchanic and he told me it waz a good thing 2 do so u can avoid that 1st jolt backwards after u put it in park tha 1st time.....
Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

This is my process, and my girls begun doing it as well ( she drives an 07 Type-S )

1) Pick a parking spot
2) Step on the brake
3) Shift to Neutral
4) Pull the Hand Brake
5) Let off the foot brake( let the car roll and stop on the brake )
6) Step on the foot brake again, and shift to park

This lets the car sit on the hand brake instead of the park gear. Hope this helps =)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
My uncle has a 2000 Avalon and he always shifts into drive while going about 2 mph and nothing wrong with the tranny at about 97k
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Originally Posted by eds04TL
Well I do tha quick r-d thing almost everyday @ work driving my ambulance and over time I start noticing that tha truck is either shifting 2 early or 2 late @ times... our truck r always goin out for pm for that shit...... everytime I park on a hill in tha tl I go in park 1st then e brake and I put it in reverse 1 more time then back on p... my boys a merchanic and he told me it waz a good thing 2 do so u can avoid that 1st jolt backwards after u put it in park tha 1st time.....

I'm not a master mechanic yet, but that sounds like your gears are pretty beaten up... if they aren't shifting like they are supposed to, how are you gonna go save some people from an accident? =P

Why not be safe and just make a complete stop.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R to D is not terribly bad for the transmission as long as you're not moving very fast and you're not stomping on the gas as soon as you drop it into D. There's little pressure on the torque converter in this scenario so there isn't a large amount of shock traveling through the transmission.

D to R, don't do that. Reverse is a different type of gear to the rest of the gears. It needs to include an extra gear to get the the countershaft to spin backwards. When not in reverse, this gear slides out so it is not engaging anything. When you shift into reverse it slides in between the two shafts engaging gears fixed to those shafts. When you go R to D this extra gear just slides out smoothly but going the other way, you're jamming that gear in between two gears that are moving in opposite directions. It should be obvious why this is bad.

Regarding parking on hills, letting the car rest against the Park 'gear' puts no where near the amount of stress on the drivetrain that stomping on the gas pedal does. It won't harm your transmission. Just don't let the car roll and bounce off the gear when going into park.

And people, jesus christ, is so hard to imagine what happens when you put a moving car into drive? I think you morons deserve to sued for the cost of a new transmission by the rental car companies. Fucking idiots.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
R to D is not terribly bad for the transmission as long as you're not moving very fast and you're not stomping on the gas as soon as you drop it into D. There's little pressure on the torque converter in this scenario so there isn't a large amount of shock traveling through the transmission.

D to R, don't do that. Reverse is a different type of gear to the rest of the gears. It needs to include an extra gear to get the the countershaft to spin backwards. When not in reverse, this gear slides out so it is not engaging anything. When you shift into reverse it slides in between the two shafts engaging gears fixed to those shafts. When you go R to D this extra gear just slides out smoothly but going the other way, you're jamming that gear in between two gears that are moving in opposite directions. It should be obvious why this is bad.

Regarding parking on hills, letting the car rest against the Park 'gear' puts no where near the amount of stress on the drivetrain that stomping on the gas pedal does. It won't harm your transmission. Just don't let the car roll and bounce off the gear when going into park.

And people, jesus christ, is so hard to imagine what happens when you put a moving car into drive? I think you morons deserve to sued for the cost of a new transmission by the rental car companies. Fucking idiots.

Not everybody has spatial abilities; it is hard for some to imagine, so they use trial and error. There is no need to curse, they're still kids. When they grow up and realize how dumb their actions were, they will change the way they look at things, and then we watch the next generation try the same thing. It's a trend, kids are dumb, teens are morons(I know I am one myself, but I live a more matured life than MOST other teens out there. Now and then I find myself doing stupid things like gas'ing at a curve to meet my spiritual driving needs, but I correct myself when there are cars around or hazardous situations are in the air.)
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHA
I actually lol'ed at that.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

What about going in reverse, then shifting to neutral while the car is still moving, then waiting to for it to stop in neutral and then putting it into drive?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by jtsangAZ
What about going in reverse, then shifting to neutral while the car is still moving, then waiting to for it to stop in neutral and then putting it into drive?
Without braking I'm pretty sure the car would keep going with it's momentum....
Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised Southernboy hasn't chimed in by now.
He's probably laughing his ass off at the absurdidy of the question

Yes, you come to a complete stop, and you pull the e-brake before shifting into park
Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Pages 254-260 of the '07 manual warns that damage can occur.
I would believe Acura.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Instructor

@ 35 mph??......my first thought was what the F*ck??........then I saw your age.......Bonehead!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Racer

"To save a few seconds" Do you know how stupid that sounds?
It's your car, go ahead and beat the heck out of it to save a few seconds.
Better yet, write to Acura and tell them you don't want to wait for the vehicle to come to rest before changing from forward to reverse and vise versa; see what they have to say..
Frickin' stupid
Old 03-19-2008, 04:14 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by DaddysOnehotAck
@ 35 mph??......my first thought was what the F*ck??........then I saw your age.......Bonehead!!!
I'm pretty sure people much older than me have done the same thing.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Originally Posted by scv76_
"To save a few seconds" Do you know how stupid that sounds?
It's your car, go ahead and beat the heck out of it to save a few seconds.
Better yet, write to Acura and tell them you don't want to wait for the vehicle to come to rest before changing from forward to reverse and vise versa; see what they have to say..
Frickin' stupid
I guess you just didnt understand my sarcasm
To me, it doesnt seem that damaging to the car. Its not like I'm going really fast when i do it, nor am i stomping on the pedal right after i shift it.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Burning Brakes

This I might expect from a 17 year old:

[QUOTE}This thread reminds me of the time I had a Chrysler Pacifica rental car. I was going about 35 mph then shifted into park to see what would happen.

Originally Posted by jtsangAZ
I guess you just didnt understand my sarcasm
To me, it doesnt seem that damaging to the car. Its not like I'm going really fast when i do it, nor am i stomping on the pedal right after i shift it.
This I wouldn't expect from a 25 y/o, especially your lack of understanding when you say "to me, it doesn't seem that damaging to the car".

There's a short in the wiring somewhere
Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
My username is lame

do you guy's car have a problem when putting from PARK to drive, there is a slight lag before it actually goes into drive?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ImPoRtHoNdA
do you guy's car have a problem when putting from PARK to drive, there is a slight lag before it actually goes into drive?
Yes, I have noticed a delay. It's a good deal longer than any car I have owned before.
Must be patient, grasshopper
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
This I might expect from a 17 year old:

[QUOTE}This thread reminds me of the time I had a Chrysler Pacifica rental car. I was going about 35 mph then shifted into park to see what would happen.

This I wouldn't expect from a 25 y/o, especially your lack of understanding when you say "to me, it doesn't seem that damaging to the car".

There's a short in the wiring somewhere

Woah there. Thats why I posted this question to get different feedback from different people. I dont always have the car moving when im shifting it from reverse to drive or vice versa. Sometimes this happens when there are people waiting for my parking spot and I don't want to be a slow ass getting out. But thanks for your smart comment and directing me to the owners manual for further clarification.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Originally Posted by ImPoRtHoNdA
Ive noticed that too. My 2000 Accord was the same.