Shell V-Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004 | 11:23 AM
Instructor

I put an octane booster in my tl. I think it had about 2pts too much octane, it sputtered sometimes and was harder to start. next time i'll know.
Old 08-27-2004 | 11:43 AM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Another gas company BS. All gasolines contain enough detergents to maintain the engine clean!
Simply untrue - the mandated levels have never been enforced, and the companies have been lowering their detergents for years. That is one reason that mfr's use Techron gas when they send their cars off to be EPA tested and certified.
Old 08-27-2004 | 11:49 AM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by techguy
If you want to clean your injectors and valves, buy a container of Chevron Techroline. Use it about every 6 months. I have read reviews on it years ago and it is very effective in cleaning. Shell and Chevron are the most expensive gas in my area.
Techron perhaps? The RR Journals provide links to a detailed analysis I did of the better fuel system cleaners. But it is better to keep them clean continuously, as veriufied by BMW studies. Red Line SI-1 is formulated for continuous use.
Old 08-27-2004 | 06:08 PM
Not a Blowhole

Meant to post this

http://www.cspnet.com/index_top_stor...a66f57683b4d63

A few facts go a long way to settling things - this should help those of you sitting on the fence. Would RR lie to you?
Old 08-27-2004 | 06:32 PM
Advanced

has anyone tried sunoco 94 octane????
Old 08-27-2004 | 07:22 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by crajeemonkey
has anyone tried sunoco 94 octane????
Sunoco 94 is no longer available in the NY area.
Old 08-27-2004 | 07:34 PM
Instructor

Wow, lot's of debate here... well let me share this site with you all.

I found this information below doing a quick search... this Q/A is posted at http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...101/page1.html.

I particularly like these quotes...
Are all gasoline brands alike?
No. The actual composition produced at different refineries in the country can vary, even within the same brand. Formulas are different for each climate and season. Additives, such as detergents, are different between brands. Laws are different for each area of the country regarding oxygenated gas to help improve emissions. Even the way wholesalers, transporters and gas station operators store and manage their stock can make a difference. It is possible to get a bad batch of gasoline. When you find a brand and station that suits your needs, stick with it.
I know the TL needs 91 or better... however this quote is interesting.
Will my truck run better if I step up to 91 octane?
Not necessarily. Quality fuel will not heal a sick engine or improve fuel economy. A truck manufacturer may recommend high-octane fuel because the engine is designed to run on premium. If the manufacturer recommends 87 octane, then use it until you detect knocking. Giving your truck premium fuel is not the same as eating health food in place of sugar snacks.
Never heard of doing this but interesting at that...
My grandfather says he put mothballs in his gas tank to make his car run faster. Does that trick still work?
No. It’s true that gasoline formulas in the ‘40s retained some oxygen when mothballs were dissolved in the tank. This additional oxygen might have compensated for a rich fuel condition in the engine and improved performance. Today’s fuels and engine-management systems are so sophisticated that mothballs will not make any difference, except possibly to clog up filters.
We all know the answer to this...
What is the proper grade of gasoline for my vehicle?
Check the owner’s manual first and be sure that the recommendation is listed as an Anti-Knock Index number. Some foreign car manuals may indicate a Research Octane Number (RON), which is higher than the AKI. As a quick rule of thumb, you can subtract 5 from the RON to get the AKI. The recommended grade should be adequate for normal driving, but if you hear a pinging or knocking noise, step up a grade immediately. You should also purchase a higher grade when carrying or towing heavy loads, driving to a hotter climate or traversing mountain ranges as a precaution to knocking.
Maybe this will help clear up some battles? Maybe not...
Old 08-27-2004 | 07:45 PM
Not a Blowhole

Regarding mothballs - I am not sure about that guy's answer. As I recall mothballs were made with naptha, which in liquid form is a strong solvent, with pretty high heat potential when ignited. I think they acted more like putting your car on methanol like the 4000 HP dragsters.
Old 08-27-2004 | 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

My father worked at a BP refinery for over 40 years---guess what every other company who had gas stations within 100 miles came to fill up there. So they all use the same grades.
Old 08-27-2004 | 09:04 PM
Instructor

My father worked at a BP refinery for over 40 years---guess what every other company who had gas stations within 100 miles came to fill up there. So they all use the same grades.
That may depend on your area and how they get gas.
Old 08-28-2004 | 06:32 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE=DMZ]Haven't tried V-Power yet. But so far, NOTHING I've tried comes close to the power of BP Amoco Ultimate 93. Even Sunoco Ultra 93 doesn't give my TL as much power.

I think you're kidding yourself. Any brand of 93 octane gas will give you the same power and performance. The only difference is the additives which are for cleaning the injectors etc. and have nothing to do with the power developed by the engine. Look at dyno runs....they'll prove any 93 octane gas will deliver the same HP. It's just something you trick yourself into feeling, but in reality you'll never feel any difference between 93octane fuel. I've used Amoco, Sunoco, Hess, and Exxon....and they all deliver the same power. I like Amoco and Sunoco personally just because the gas seems to look and smell better...but that's foolish and I'm kidding myself too.
Old 08-28-2004 | 07:49 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

[QUOTE=JetJock]
Originally Posted by DMZ
Haven't tried V-Power yet. But so far, NOTHING I've tried comes close to the power of BP Amoco Ultimate 93. Even Sunoco Ultra 93 doesn't give my TL as much power.

I think you're kidding yourself. Any brand of 93 octane gas will give you the same power and performance. The only difference is the additives which are for cleaning the injectors etc. and have nothing to do with the power developed by the engine. Look at dyno runs....they'll prove any 93 octane gas will deliver the same HP. It's just something you trick yourself into feeling, but in reality you'll never feel any difference between 93octane fuel. I've used Amoco, Sunoco, Hess, and Exxon....and they all deliver the same power. I like Amoco and Sunoco personally just because the gas seems to look and smell better...but that's foolish and I'm kidding myself too.
Sorry JetLock, but I'm not kidding myself. There is a difference! Since getting the car 4 months ago, I've tried Hess, Mobil, Amoco, and Sunoco. I let the tank get almost to empty before switching brands. Soon after I replace ANY of the other 3 with Amoco Ultimate 93, my TL all of a sudden feels like it leap tall buidings at single bound when I touch the gas pedal. This was also the case with my '89 Accord SE-i 5spd. Who knows, maybe this is more noticable with a manual transmission.
Old 08-28-2004 | 08:10 AM
Cruisin'

Us Canadians have to live with the metric system, so on the highway the TL gets
7 litres/100kilometres...
Old 08-30-2004 | 12:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DMZ
Sorry JetLock, but I'm not kidding myself. There is a difference! Since getting the car 4 months ago, I've tried Hess, Mobil, Amoco, and Sunoco. I let the tank get almost to empty before switching brands. Soon after I replace ANY of the other 3 with Amoco Ultimate 93, my TL all of a sudden feels like it leap tall buidings at single bound when I touch the gas pedal. This was also the case with my '89 Accord SE-i 5spd. Who knows, maybe this is more noticable with a manual transmission.
I still think you are dreaming. I've got a 6MT, and regularly use Sunoco and Amoco when I can find it, and can't tell any difference....mabe it's me, but my car seems to run great with either gas and doesn't have any more power with either brand.
Old 08-30-2004 | 03:35 PM
Drifting

... This could possibly be the placebo effect for some but also geographic location and driving style play a big role in how the car performs.
Old 08-30-2004 | 04:28 PM
Advanced

arnt they all the same shit? 93 oc ... i use all different stations... from Amaco to West Star .. i dont really pay attention to my gas mileage either... According to an engineer whom used to work with Shell.. he said they are the Shiestiest people ever... and doesnt trust their gas for shit.. i tend to stay away from shell... ever since i heard about the Florida defect ... It kind of scares me... Anyways , i mainly use Chevron.. ... but West Star is the cheapest here in miami... and here in miami everything is so spaced out.. so much driving so little time to pay attention to the gas mileage.... Anyways ill be leaving here soon.. and might end up selling my TL... ill post up the news when i do.. see if anyone wants a full a spec blk TL.. I was the first in United States to have it. =P