Sponsored by:

SF Bay area auto shop recs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:22 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF Bay area auto shop recs?

Hi.

For my first service I went to Pleasanton Acura and was stunned that I paid $110 for basically an oil change. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their TL and a local reliable auto shop in the Bay Area, particularly in the Milpitas/Fremont/San Jose area. Or do most people just suck it up and go to the dealer?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ghornet
Hi.

For my first service I went to Pleasanton Acura and was stunned that I paid $110 for basically an oil change. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their TL and a local reliable auto shop in the Bay Area, particularly in the Milpitas/Fremont/San Jose area. Or do most people just suck it up and go to the dealer?

Go to Serramonte Acura and ask for Mara Mueller...My oil change was only $24.95.

My B1 service only cost me $76.99.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Pro

i go to chevron for my oil change...labor is 15 bucks and 20 bucks for synthetic oil i buy myself..so all together it 35 bucks only..really cheaper than dealership..ill never go there for anything...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Instructor

I bought my TL from Pleasanton. I'll spare the details, but I wasn't all that impressed with that place.

I'm also due for my first oil change and am searching for a place, preferably in the East Bay, but I'll travel on the bridge or through the tunnel for quality at a good price..
Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi.

1st service is that A1? If yes, I only change oil at Pleasanton dealer and rotate my tires at costco for free. That way you'll only do $30 ish at the dealer. Always decifer the MID maintenance code and see what you can do, what you can do cheaper than dealer elsewhere and what you'll have to do at the dealer. That way you'll save big bucks. These dealers do not have service charges packaged by MID code but 5K, 10K, 15K, 30K etc. I only get done from dealer what ever is really needed per MID.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
GregS

Hi.

Are you sure they charged you for just an oil change? That seems awfully high. I was just there this past week and had an Oil, Filter, Lube and Tire Rotation for under $75 - and that was with Synthetic Oil which typically costs more.

I bought my car in Pleasanton and always take it there for service. I have never once been hastled or surprised - I think their service is first rate. This is the same dealer that me paid (in full) for my Michelin Pilots when I only had 3,000 miles on my TL. They also just recently replaced my driver's seat because of a defect in the leather (there was a hole wearing through) - again at no cost to me.

I was so impressed I bought an MDX from them, and I get the same "royal treatment" when I go for service.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 PM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

Originally Posted by dotnetpimp
I bought my TL from Pleasanton. I'll spare the details, but I wasn't all that impressed with that place.

I'm also due for my first oil change and am searching for a place, preferably in the East Bay, but I'll travel on the bridge or through the tunnel for quality at a good price..
Got my A1 service at Oakland Acura for $62 including oil change, tire rotation, and other items. They even started servicing my car before they were officially open...they also have doughnuts, bagels, fruit and coffee while you wait if that matters to you. They were very quick and I'll definitely be back.

Only downside is that since they're so close to Lake Merritt, they can only give you coupon at a nearby "touchless" car wash instead of washing the car there for you - the restriction has something to with runoff polluting the lake. They are very upfront about this and have a sign letting you know about the restrictions beforehand.

Try this threads for info too:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=service
Old 11-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Advanced

There is a good independant Honda Acura Shop in Livermore,CA Import Auto Tech. I have taken my Honda/Acuras there for a number of years and have always had great service (routine service to misc repairs). There is also a shop in Pleasanton that I know of, but have not gone there myself as the Livermore shop is closer to my work. For just an oil change I have gone to the Goodyear at Rosewood Pavilion (Across from Pleasanton Acura) They only charge me $20 for labor when I brought in my own oil and filter with free tire rotation.

In fact my 03 is at Pleasanton Acura right now getting the OPDS replaced (warrantry work). The service I have gotten there has been good. The serivce writers just take the info that you give them and type it on the work order. They have always had a loaner waiting for me if it was requested at the time I made an appointment. I do not like to go to the dealer for general maintanance.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by cljw
There is a good independant Honda Acura Shop in Livermore,CA Import Auto Tech. I have taken my Honda/Acuras there for a number of years and have always had great service (routine service to misc repairs).
Cool..I live in Livermore. Where is it cljw? On 1st treet where all auto shops are? Please let me know.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Cool..I live in Livermore. Where is it cljw? On 1st treet where all auto shops are? Please let me know.
3985 First St. Unit K
Livermore, CA 94550
(925) 447-0722

It is just East of where Potorla intersects with 1st street. Near the old Honda/Subaru Dealer. There is a Kelly Moore (I think) paint store along the street frontage.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:45 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by cljw
3985 First St. Unit K
Livermore, CA 94550
(925) 447-0722

It is just East of where Potorla intersects with 1st street. Near the old Honda/Subaru Dealer. There is a Kelly Moore (I think) paint store along the street frontage.

YUp got that buddy. Thanks. I think Rockymountain Tint people were in the same strip. I need to try these guys.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Precision Auto Repair in Pleasanton is outstanding, from past experience.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro

Looks like you got suckered into their 7500mile service. Its the Oil Change, tire rotation and inspection of the car. Its a complete rip off since you can inspect the vehicle fluids yourself in like 5 mins.

Keep going to Pleasanton Acura but just get the Oil Changes. They are $40 I think and decline their 7.5k and 15k services. They are not necessary. Just get the oil change and 30k services. That's all your TL needs.

If you are interested in an independant shop in the Fremont Area. I take my cars to Fremont United Auto. They charge only $60/hr for labor. Plus they don't cheat you on the book time. Example, dealer will claim a front brake pad and rotor replacement will take 2hrs. Fremont Auto took a little less than 1hr.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been taking my TL to Autowest Honda in Fremont for oil changes. They charge $35 for a “while you wait” oil change with no appointment. This is a prompt service and I have never had to wait more than about 40 minutes. I do have to remind them each time that the TL takes the same filter as the Accord so they don’t have to charge more for the Acura (they always try).

I am due for the B2 service and after checking the cost at the dealer I decided to go another way. I did the air filter and cabin filter myself. I take my other Acura and my Lexus to Kenny’s (near Automall and 880), a small shop who specializes in Japanese cars. He charges $25 for an oil change with an OEM filter. I made a checklist of the B2 items that are left, and am going to have him use the check list when he does the car. I already had the tires rotated so I think it will be about $50-60 for the oil change and check-up.