Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service manager giving me the run around

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service manager giving me the run around

I'm glad some of you guys have good dealerships from what I read at least.

But I've been getting pushed around the last few weeks. I've been going into sierra because the paint is peeling where the back bumper is connected to the car.

I go in.. they said the service manager is not there come back monday.

I go in again, the service manager says my service rep is not here.

I call him to ask when he will be there, he says today ( wednesday ), but I have a final so he said he'll call me back with his availabilities.

Three hours later he doesn't call back, so I do... they went home for the day.

Sierra acura is driving me nuts. I just want my paint looked at -__-
The quality of acura paint really makes me sad, I do love the car, but all the rock chips and dings I'm getting is just ridiculous. It's only got 8900 miles.

I've looked at some of the used TL-S on the lot at sierra, they've got pretty bad dings on the front bumper too. I look closely and I can see a barrage of micro dents.

How frustrating..
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to Acura service. A lot of the dealerships are fancy and comfy and sometimes the people are "friendly". But the "run-around" is all too common.

I am also disappointed with the paint quality (chips WAY too easily) and the dentability of the sheetmetal. (I have dings everywhere, I lost count) Guess I am used to German cars. My car never looks as shiny when waxed as my old MB or BMW.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Keep calling every hour until you get the service manager, and then schedule an appointment.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced

go in there and demand to talk to a manager if that fails on the spot makes a scene ...trust me u will get help and get taken care of right away ...all u gotta do is start getting a lil loud it might be rude but u will get what u want on the spot
Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
to find out if its a common thing- go to body shop and ask-
they know about paint on every car~ who peels and bubbles or peels,,they may even do the repainting of warranty cars!?

Is the car less than 12 months old? you have a chance- if over- not much chance but read your warranty to know

as for the dealer
sounds like they are doing the normal procedure of trying to book you an appointment DROP OFF TIME- thats your 15 minutes with a service writer- a person who may or may not know anything about cars- and not likely to know warranty details on every year and model-
their real job is to sell you extra repairs up front, and when they call after diagnosis.
that 15 minutes is supposed to make you buddies so you approve whatever they say.
The time has nothing to do with when the car will be looked at, and a tech wont know about paint warranty so it doesnt really need an appointment

It starts with the phone girl who makes a drop off appointment time
you go and meet `your' Service Writer..unknown how thats assigned- customer last name or what--there may be 5 SMs on duty!!
Service Writers do that- they write the initial `customer states that` invoice,
At bigger shops it then goes to a Dispatcher, who sends it to the appropriate tech- for brakes- major service- etc

Service Manager is there to oversee all operations and handle bigger customer complaints. They also talk to the regional acura warranty rep- who does come in person every few weeks or so (checking warranty parts are bad and marking them)

The SM and even the acura rep should be able to come out and look at the paint, know if its something acura is warranty repainting or what
The acura rep is who really needs to see it- they know warranty

Its normal to chip on the nose and hood -maybe you should have installed a clear bra like many others did? repaint hood then clearbra

So drop by the dealer- monday morning is bad due to shop meeting, but after 10-11 am any day the SM should be there and willing to come look

Also call Acura customer care- 1-800-382-2238x5
Ask to open a file on peeling paint and a real acura rep will call you back
Phone person is some low paid drone who reads from a book of answers-
just state the problem- ask for a file and someone to call you
When they do it should include a time to meet with the right Rep person when their at dealer

Everyone should be registered at that 800 number as the car owner- recall notices are sent to the address they have in that particular system

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 07-30-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

thanks for the help guys, i'm gonna bug this guy to no end haha
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

I just called him again bright and early 739 am, the girl said he's tied up with someone and that he'll call me back. Go figure, and the car turns 1 year old in a few days actually. August 1st.

Let's see if he calls haha
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you buy the car there? If you did, and your sales guy is still there, go talk to him. Sometimes they can help you out with problems in the service area.

If you didn't buy it there, go find the General Manager of the dealership.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

I think the guy I bought it from is long gone, could be wrong though.

So i called the service manager back an ample 9 hours later, he says that he tried to call me but the number I gave him didn't work...

But he also said that the rep is going into surgery tomorrow... and won't be back for three weeks.

A replacement guy is coming in, and he'll call me when he gets his itnerary.

By that time.. I'll be long gone, moving from LA to Downer's grove IL.

Any tips from anyone for first time snow driver/ DG area? I still have the stock turanza EL42's
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

go in person to the dealer and show the SM- if its documented as a problem they will fix- it wont matter that you have moved

Check with a body shop on repair and ask if they see much of this
Plastic is difficult to paint and not have it crack
For your time, it could be easier to get it fixed at body shop and be done with it
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Being an employee in the paint shop of an automotive assembly plant in the midwest and seeing hundreds of paint jobs a day, I have to say Acura sadly has dropped the ball when it comes to their paint finishes. My TL also has many dings and chips, mainly in the front nose area. For the the price paid for my TL I do feel this is unacceptable quality.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

you can find driving schools in the new area online- race track day schools or snow/performance classes are everywhere it snows

Its all about responding gently and early to shifts in direction- control of throttle and brake,,,learn to be very smooth and gentle on the pedals and steering..
as if there were a glass of water on the dash
All while anticipating the other guys direction of slide!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

Vegas- do you see a lot of the peeling described on TL's? is yours doing it?

At the factory in Ohio or someplace near there, they step up production,, and quality drops in many parts of the car-
rattles-paint issues- battery life- cheap ps hoses that break and spray oil on hot exhaust- make fire!!

anywhere they can save a penny a car- they will

What they are able to sell them for $$$$$$ --has no relation to quality- only salesmanship

Clearbra type covering for the nose is about the best you can do to protect it
Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

This story will have a happy ending!!

I went in today because my airbag light has been on for as long as I can remember, I never realized it was a problem until the guy doing my HID fogs told me (He owns a type-s). So I decided to read the manual and whatta ya know... PROBLEM.

So I go in bright and early this morning, the service advisor was quick to act and to resolve the issue. He said that I might have knocked the sensor underneath the passenger seat or something along those lines with a water bottle or something minor like that.

However, this guy actually listened to me gripe about the peeling on my rear bumper and took pictures. The service manager recognized me by this point after .. my 4th or 5th visit. The advisor got the manager to say forget waiting for the service rep to get out of surgery we'll go ahead with fixing it. Now I wait for their call to see when the body shop frees up.

Acura service you've redeemed yourself.

On other news, the 6000k hid's obviously don't really match my stock colorshifted bulbs, although they're not thattt far off. Yeah, sorry no pictures hahha
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
WDP Type S

As for snow...I would get some nice all-season tires. I haven't had any problems getting the TL stuck with my all-season Yoko's. (I'm up in Madison, Wisconsin.)
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Team Owner

stock bulbs are 4300k
what did you do- replace 1 side with a 6000?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Intermediate

oh no no the headlights are still the stock 4300, but i put in 6000k fogs.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Team Owner

intersting choice- no fog where you live?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Intermediate

hahahha good guess on the lack of fog. there is absolutely no fog in socal, however im moving to a suburb near chicago in 3 weeks for school, I was probably a little rash on that decision. I contemplated yellow for a loooong time
Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 AM
Team Owner

Its easy enough to get some 3000s for winter in the snow and ice- rain- etc
Less bounceback of light from the moisture in the air, thats why yellow

are you going to Lockport?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

I'm going to downer's grove. I thought lockport was close but i was thinking of lombard, although lockport isn't too bad at all.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

For those that care there's been a new update to the story.

Why am I awake at 8 in the morning?

I just got chewed out by the service manager. My dad came running into my room yelling at me and the person on the phone was the manager.

He said were you the one that gave me the lousy review?? I'm repainting your bumper as a favor to you I don't have to do it.

I was like wait.. the review I gave you wasn't that bad? He said he got a 69. Where do you go to school son because a 69 is a D.

You know what, I'll be thinking about this when time comes for your bumper and whether or not you'll get it painted.

So granted I didn't realize that the survey was so important (slipped my mind) but I was only telling the truth of how I felt given the fact that I had to wait so long, come in 5 times, have the Service Advisor finally take care of me and call in 20 times. It was like the guy who sold me the car, he was an asshole but I gave him a good review because he told me to do it but I certainly didn't feel like giving him those 5/5's. If he had told me to do the same thing and told me there would be repercussions I would have done it anyways.

Now I feel bad about getting the guy in trouble, but no one's been that rude to me other than my parents in ages. I'm just kind of shocked...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skoolboi
For those that care there's been a new update to the story.

Why am I awake at 8 in the morning?

I just got chewed out by the service manager. My dad came running into my room yelling at me and the person on the phone was the manager.

He said were you the one that gave me the lousy review?? I'm repainting your bumper as a favor to you I don't have to do it.

I was like wait.. the review I gave you wasn't that bad? He said he got a 69. Where do you go to school son because a 69 is a D.

You know what, I'll be thinking about this when time comes for your bumper and whether or not you'll get it painted.

So granted I didn't realize that the survey was so important (slipped my mind) but I was only telling the truth of how I felt given the fact that I had to wait so long, come in 5 times, have the Service Advisor finally take care of me and call in 20 times. It was like the guy who sold me the car, he was an asshole but I gave him a good review because he told me to do it but I certainly didn't feel like giving him those 5/5's. If he had told me to do the same thing and told me there would be repercussions I would have done it anyways.

Now I feel bad about getting the guy in trouble, but no one's been that rude to me other than my parents in ages. I'm just kind of shocked...
Call Acura Client Services and tell them about it. If service departments want a good review, they should provide good service.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Sounds like you were honest on the review. It's his fault he got those marks, not yours. Hope he follows through on the bumper. Perhaps the next review will be better.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Now that I'm awake I'm just pissed!

Is he allowed to call me and bitch me out about a review I gave him?? What the heckk
And threaten to not give me a service he already agreed to? This sounds like something that could get him into deeper sh!&.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
sounds like I would have recorded the WHOLE f'n conversation and then told him to put out or shutup.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
At least in MN you can record a conversation without the other party knowing as long as you know you are recording them. lol
Old 08-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Now that I'm awake I'm just pissed!

Is he allowed to call me and bitch me out about a review I gave him?? What the heckk
And threaten to not give me a service he already agreed to? This sounds like something that could get him into deeper sh!&.
Relax. Service Manager was a douche bag - do not go to that dealership anymore.

BUT.... Just from someone who has worked in a few body shops - Everybody chews everybody out. First day I started (15 yrs old) I took a real verbal beating. Then I noticed that it was just the "language" of the shop. And unfortunately it sometimes rubs off onto customers (go figure you spend the day chewing people out, your going to let some of that slip).

At the end of the day just worry about getting what you want - your bumper/paint taken care of. Don't let a couple of slime balls get you riled up. Keep a cool head and I'm sure he will follow through and get your bumper/paint taken care of. He may bitch but in the end you get what you want and doesn't matter what people like that say anyways.

~
irishbloke
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

I can't believe I actually apologized for giving him a bad review over the phone.
It was more so fear that I wouldn't get it fixed and as a result an angrier father.

That was MY bad.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

you screwed up on this big time'

perfect 10s are the ONLY acceptable score on reviews- acura says anything less is a failing grade- as the SM said
The MANAGER is supposed to work with you at the shop- before survey is given out- make sure everything is to your satisfaction
That way they get all 10s
Acura CORP gets those cards - then passed onto dealer for Weekly meeting/reviews
Bonus pay is based around those reviews
You should not be filling one out until the work was done anyway
the SM sees your with a low grade- thinks what he has done to try and help you- then calls before chilling out
Yes they do call- but its suppposed to be- what can we do to make you happy?
Not- bitch you for low grades--maybe you were still asleep and it sounded worse than it was

This SM is pissed because they jerked you around from day1 and got caught
Could have simply had the part painted and be done-
could have found a spoiler or whetever the issue was and dealt with it
The acura warranty rep out sick is too bad for them- should have another person covering their job- cant expect customers to wait forever and not get upset!

To save what you need done-
go explain that no one said anything about perfect grades and how it worked.
Once they finish, you will be happy to provide an updated survey and write a letter to acura straightening things out with revised grade

My first survey, didnt know about the all 10s- got a call on Saturday asking what could he do to make it right and fix the grades.

After my follow up call and letter to corp- he got promoted to an actual acura rep job!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
† equals ☺

Wow who was your service adviser at Sierra? I just had my car serviced for warranty work and it ran smoothly; loner car and everything.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

michael spurlin. same guy I believe. He sits in the office at the end of the hall of service guys.

I might have been sleepy, but I was definitely awake when he was "talking" to me over the phone. He was really mad, but in effect made me even madder. When I went in this last time to get my airbag light checked he was not happy to see me. It was pretty obvious. I am sure that he threatened to not give me the service. The last thing he said was I'm going to be thinking about this when it comes time for your bumper since he said he was doing me a favor.

The service advisor on the other hand was extremely nice his name is Angelo, he did everything that the service manager wouldn't do. IE take pictures of the paint problem on the bumper, talk me through the process, explain the loaner car and type everything up for me. The service manager on the other hand never did any of those things and just brushed me along.

Aside from all of this there was no reason to make me feel dumb. He didn't have to ask me what school I went to. I know what a D
is. I graduated from ucla for christ sake.

I totally forgot about the .. bonus pay thing. That's why my salesman told me to give him all 5's. Figures though, he doesn't work there anymore.

Last edited by skoolboi; 08-11-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 PM
† equals ☺

Wow that's very classless and reaffirms a lot of "nightmare" stories I've heard about Sierra. I was fortunate enough to not have to deal with this Michael guy. There probably won't be a next time (seeing as you're moving), but the service advisers, not the manager, are most definitely the people you want to deal with.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

the service writers are mere sales persons of repairs,,they could be selling anything yesterday... or tomorrow
Their job is to grease you up- become your new best buddy in a few minutes-
so when they call with a revised estimate, anything they say needs repair you will approve without question,
and any bs they have to stall you with because other full price paying jobs took priority and your car didnt get started in time- need it an extra day for a 30 minute job...

A good service writer,,well look at the title- Writer- writers make things up and combine various amounts of fact and fiction to create a story

The manager on the other hand.. has the actual responsibilty to make a profit and keep employees working on things that make money for the shop--there are quotas~
dont make those... look for another job
Manager has to deal with corp reps- who makes their own decision on strange warranty matters- will they pay or not,,and they have parameters and limits of goodwill their bosses give....

As a manager in this situation: I wouldnt be jumping up to do `free` paint work since acura is probably not going to pay for- meaning the shop is eating that cost to make you happy.
If this was a normal warranty paint fix they would have known and already done it- right?!

As a customer. you have been all warrranty pita claims with a difficult to find and fix srs problem, plus whatever rattles or typical things you came in for- besides the recall stuff

They have made no Retail Money off you- have gotten a severe hassle about the review-- after he thought that making arrangement to hook you up without corp rep avaialble, that would result in a perfect score--at least not a complaint being made!!

The truth from either side isnt the piont right now- its about calming the emotions and understanding each other- the bigger person is able to forgive and move forward

Be glad you are moving--- still be nice now or you may get blacklisted on the network..car modified- warranty void
Its happened before
Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

What are these nightmare stories with Sierra? I haven't heard any but I guess this one is mine.

Either way I'm over it. It is what it is.

Thanks for the input everyone, really helped at calming me down today. And especially 01tl4tl for all the tips and stuff.

Last edited by skoolboi; 08-11-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
† equals ☺

What are these nightmare stories with Sierra? I haven't heard any but I guess this one is mine.

Either way I'm over it. It is what it is.

Thanks for the input everyone, really helped at calming me down today. And especially 01tl4tl for all the tips and stuff.
Just typical stories like yours, terrible customer service etc. My trip this time was hassle-free, so I thought they were myths, but you've proven they aren't. Personally I thought my adviser, Andy, was great; warranty work was done and that was that; didn't try to push sales or whatever and followed through the entire process. I'd still recommend Andy from Sierra, but like 01tl4tl said, it could just be part of their job to buddy up.