Sponsored by:

Serious about new TL DC/MD/VA area

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 05:17 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serious about new TL DC/MD/VA area

Hi,

After much searching I'm down to either a TL or new 4runner.

I've read a little about the vibration issue. Is it very noticeable above 55 mph? Seems like ACura is starting to do something about the issue.

Are their any other issues? Cracking seats? Noisy glove box? Squeaky door?

BAsically I will start test driving this week.

I've gotten 1 price quote and that was from Chevy Chase Acura over the internet for $31,300 before TTT.

It would be nice to have NAV but I can't justify needing it.

The above quote was for a 6spd no NAV in silver/ebony and anthracite/ebony or camel.

One dilema I face in choosing between dealers is

1. is that Pohanka close to me and I have friends that work in the service dept.
2. is that at Chevy Chase I have a close friend who is the service manager.
3. Radley Acura is also close to me and my office.

All 3 dealers have what I want in stock.

Is their anyone you dealt with in particular at these dealers who gave you a decent deal?

I've also read that I can get a good deal by just driving north to Jersey and saving myself extra money.

I'm ready to buy now(before months end). Problem is that dealers are giving me an avg. of $2000 below trade in value. Can't afford to take that much of a hit.

Thanks for all answers in advance. What a great source of info you guys provide.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi there. I also live in Burke. I can highly recommend Pohanka Acura and salesman Alex Kresin at that dealership. He's a terrific, no-BS guy and should be able to work something in your favor. We've bought two Acuras from him over the past two years and are very, very pleased. Shoot him an email at akresin@pohanka.dealerspace.com and let him know Ryan Carter referred you
Old 01-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Instructor

I also dealt with Alex Kresin and Adam Argueta both great salesmen never push you to buy. I ended up getting 2k off msrp on a 6speed anthracite/ebony TL w/o nav this was back on dec 31
Old 01-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

also, Pohanka is the largest Acura dealer in the world now, so their service should be top notch.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Anyone should want to deal w/an in stock TL at the end of the month. Go w/whoever you feel like tossing money to--they gotta feed their kids too. I dealt w/Mohamed at Radley (Bailey's) twice last month (not that he needed the money, simply a good man). Pohanka had blown me off and I never looked back.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Serious about new TL DC/MD/VA area

Originally posted by Mpower
Hi,

After much searching I'm down to either a TL or new 4runner.

I've read a little about the vibration issue. Is it very noticeable above 55 mph? Seems like ACura is starting to do something about the issue.

Are their any other issues? Cracking seats? Noisy glove box? Squeaky door?

BAsically I will start test driving this week.

I've gotten 1 price quote and that was from Chevy Chase Acura over the internet for $31,300 before TTT.

It would be nice to have NAV but I can't justify needing it.

The above quote was for a 6spd no NAV in silver/ebony and anthracite/ebony or camel.

One dilema I face in choosing between dealers is

1. is that Pohanka close to me and I have friends that work in the service dept.
2. is that at Chevy Chase I have a close friend who is the service manager.
3. Radley Acura is also close to me and my office.

All 3 dealers have what I want in stock.

Is their anyone you dealt with in particular at these dealers who gave you a decent deal?

I've also read that I can get a good deal by just driving north to Jersey and saving myself extra money.

I'm ready to buy now(before months end). Problem is that dealers are giving me an avg. of $2000 below trade in value. Can't afford to take that much of a hit.

Thanks for all answers in advance. What a great source of info you guys provide.
Dude, this seems like a strange decision. The 2 vehicles are completely different in every way. For me, the 4 Runner is too truck based, and if I wanted an SUV I would pick a Highlander, MDX or Pilot. I think you need to test drive both and then decide. Probably cannot go wrong with either.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by achadha100
I also dealt with Alex Kresin and Adam Argueta both great salesmen never push you to buy. I ended up getting 2k off msrp on a 6speed anthracite/ebony TL w/o nav this was back on dec 31
So what was your bottom line price plus TTT?

Yeah I know the 4runner and TL are 2 tottally different breeds of cat but it's what I want/need at the moment.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Hi there. I also live in Burke. I can highly recommend Pohanka Acura and salesman Alex Kresin at that dealership. He's a terrific, no-BS guy and should be able to work something in your favor. We've bought two Acuras from him over the past two years and are very, very pleased. Shoot him an email at akresin@pohanka.dealerspace.com and let him know Ryan Carter referred you
And I highly recommend you DON'T deal with him. He gave me a load of standard salesman's bull****!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Pro

If you're getting a non-NAVI, it's not worth driving to NJ. Any local dealer will give you at least $2,000 off on the car you want. That leaves you less than $1,000 over invoice. If you're an amazing negotiator, you can probably get another $400 off locally or maybe $500 in NJ - not worth the drive.

There are no serious issues that should be stopping you from buying the car now. Vibration is a rather rare occurence. "Cracks" in the leather were invented by some ignoramus who doesn't know how good leather is supposed to look and wear. There are minor creaks and rattles in some cars, most of them fixable. Personally, I have no problems with my car whatsover.

If you buy from Pohanka or Radley, make sure that you take their "documentation" junk fee into account. Pohanka's is a ridiculous $250, Radley's is $150, I think. Dealerships in MD do NOT have any junk fees; they must be illegal there!

You have to understand that they CANNOT remove the junk fees, but you can force them to lower the price by the amount of the junk fee. It has to be done UP FRONT; it will be too late when it goes to the finance manager.

Personally, I would buy from Pohanka, but from anyone other then Alex Kresin. Yes, he doesn't pressure you to buy DIRECTLY, but he gives you bull**** that is equivalent to pressure.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

wow, i'm really surprised to hear that. My experiences with Alex have been totally free of any standard salesman BS, and that's what's so great about him.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RJC RSX
wow, i'm really surprised to hear that. My experiences with Alex have been totally free of any standard salesman BS, and that's what's so great about him.
Maybe he thought he could fool a fellow Russian, I don't know. Typically, I avoid having ANY business dealings in retail service area with my fellow countrymen.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by dulnev
If you're getting a non-NAVI, it's not worth driving to NJ. Any local dealer will give you at least $2,000 off on the car you want. That leaves you less than $1,000 over invoice. If you're an amazing negotiator, you can probably get another $400 off locally or maybe $500 in NJ - not worth the drive.

There are no serious issues that should be stopping you from buying the car now. Vibration is a rather rare occurence. "Cracks" in the leather were invented by some ignoramus who doesn't know how good leather is supposed to look and wear. There are minor creaks and rattles in some cars, most of them fixable. Personally, I have no problems with my car whatsover.

If you buy from Pohanka or Radley, make sure that you take their "documentation" junk fee into account. Pohanka's is a ridiculous $250, Radley's is $150, I think. Dealerships in MD do NOT have any junk fees; they must be illegal there!

You have to understand that they CANNOT remove the junk fees, but you can force them to lower the price by the amount of the junk fee. It has to be done UP FRONT; it will be too late when it goes to the finance manager.

Personally, I would buy from Pohanka, but from anyone other then Alex Kresin. Yes, he doesn't pressure you to buy DIRECTLY, but he gives you bull**** that is equivalent to pressure.
Thanks for the detailed run-down. What is invoice anyway on a non navi? $29,500? I'm thinking that I will counteroffer w/ $31,100 on the road/out the door.

Just need them to give me the right amount for my trade-in.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Instructor

If Robin Radley still works at Chevy Chase Acura, stay away. He f'ed me up big time on my Vigor purchase in '92.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dulnev
Maybe he thought he could fool a fellow Russian, I don't know. Typically, I avoid having ANY business dealings in retail service area with my fellow countrymen.
I'm with u dulnev. Not so great experience with Alex.

Radley Acura was much better overall.