Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequential Shifting 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Sequential Shifting 101

Before I get flamed for this, please be aware that I do not know how to drive a manual

I have a 5AT and I would like to start using the sequential shift, but I have no idea when to upshift and when to downshift and I don't want to experiment on a 6 week old car. I'm afraid I might ruin it somehow.

I have searched the thread and read some posts about shifting when the car is in the red zone and such, but could someone give me a little 101 lesson on when is it good to shift gears.. when is it good to downshift.. what gear is preferred for a certain driving condition..

When I received a rental from the dealership, it was a Mazda 3 with sequential shift. So of course I tested the baby out, but of course I sucked! My girlfriend complained and told me to just drive with the auto.

Please help! Thanks!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just watch the tach and drive in auto for a while. When I had my Accord, and knew I was getting a TL, I would...."practice" by seeing when the car shifts and such.

It helps playing video games because you can see how your car just picks up when you downshift etc etc.

Say you are doing 40 in light traffic in 4th gear. You see an opening (holeshot) about to open up and you want to "briskly" go through it.

You would downshift into 3rd gear and then when you accelerate, there is no delay in your movement. I would try this before anything else.

As you watch the tach, you will see that you will be driving at slightly higher RPMs than you were in 4th, but your speed will not drop.

I think the best things to do are:

1. Watch the tach as you drive in auto and see when to shift for normal driving
2. Experiment with downshifting for speed and turns etc
3. After hands on expierence, come back and post with questions, observations, etc etc

Driving it yourself is the best way to go about doing it.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:39 PM
6MT & LSD

I'm pretty sure the ECU won't let you downshift if it'll over-rev (the display showing the gear you're in will blink and stay the same).. So really, there's no way you could damage the tranny by playing around... whch is the best and only way to get a feel of it yourself.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:57 PM
checkmate...

While driving on a still "cold" engine, I'd leave it in "auto" mode, and let the computer shift until the engine reaches operating temp. There's no good reason to be revving at this point.

When you do decide to shift, DO NOT lift off the accelerator pedal. Keep constant pressure on it during the shift, otherwise it'll jerk on the change.

Remember, your engine's torque "sweet spot" starts at about 3,000 RPM, so whenever you feel you will imminently need power, downshift until the engine reaches this range. For example, on interstate onramps, 3rd gear @ 50 MPH puts you around 3K RPM. When you're ready to merge, gun it and you'll match the traffic speed in no time.

Downshifting to 2nd is almost never ideal at any speed higher than ~30+ MPH, unless you're a speed-freak racer.

In the same way, I usually upshift a little higher, around 3K-3.5K RPM, than the "auto" upshift points, since I don't care to race anyone but myself. The upshifts around the power band feel a little smoother than when shifting before it, since the next gear won't be too low on the tach.

And remember, your auto tranny has "idiot-proof" circuitry to prevent you from breaking it. You've got the SS in your car, so why not start playing with it, eh?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
warm up car first

Originally Posted by datmrman
...I don't want to experiment on a 6 week old car.
Make sure your car is warmed up and that you aren't red-lining it every shift during the break-in period.
Otherwise, the auto is probably idiot-proof. The other posters here are correct- ECU won't let you overrev and destroy the heads.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My lesson 101 on this thing is the basic understanding of how the transmission and motor interact together...just the basics....then you will do it all by "feel and sound" after that....no watching this tach crap. Honestly....I cant tell you when the last time I have looked at the tach other than out of curiosity, even on a manual. I could go into major great detail...but in a simple nutshell....your transmission is the "slip mechanism" between your engine output and the street...or wheels. If you had no "slip mechanism" there....power transfer from the engine to the wheels would be very "herky jerky"....as can become very prevelent feeling in a car with a manual trans and somebody who doesnt know how to drive it as they have to worry about the engaging of the clutch at the proper tach level, ect. In an automatic...as you know....this is done for you. So that being said...all you need to worry about in an automatic is to punch it and when to shift, right? Ok....you have it in 1st gear in SS mode sitting at the light.....basically...you punch it or depress the gas peddle to your liking....and shift it when you hear and feel the motor revving out and you will feel it stopping the making of power and what I like to call "leaning over a bit"....thats when you click to the next gear (in SS mode...2nd happens for you automatically and you take it from there). Just follow this same train to 5th and that it...you have sucessfully done it.

So....you probably are saying...ya dude...no crap....I have figured that much out on my own...still need help. Well...there is no magic pill anybody can give you or any formula...you could watch the tach and switch from 2nd the 3rd at X RPM's....but fact is...this is something you are just gonna "feel in the seat of your pants" eventually. After you understand that basic workings and physics behind it....you will just know by instinct and seat of the pants feel when to shift. I can get in mine and switch between SS mode and Automatic and you would never know the difference by the feel of the car....thats how good you will get at it. I just think it helps to understand a very very very small minor bit about how and what the transmission is there for and how it works.

Now this is a very very simple basic explanation that hopefully wont sound too stupid and could be pulled apart and flamed for sure....but I was trying to "dumb it down" to a point where it didnt get too technical whatsoever and stayed to basic stuff that anybody could understand. Bottom line is...this is something that practice and feel will help you out on because it sounds like you are already past the "when to shift" part...just that you may be hesitating before you click as you think about it...causing a jerking feeling as you do this. keep practicing while driving on your own and in less than a week...you'll have it down to feel and seat of the pants, guaranteed! Then you will be able to switch between drive and SS mode and she will never know, unless you are getting on it! You will get so good at it that you might even get bored with SS mode and just leave it in automatic unless you are gonna race....and fact is...myself...I run it in low (just below drive) and then go to drive after that and let the car take it from there.....but thats me. Some people will ride each gear in SS mode though.....I use it more in downshift...but I do drive in SS mode every now and then both up and down gears? Thats the fun of it....

BTW...dont be afraid of it....you cant hurt it even though it may feel jerky as hell until you get good at it. Especially on an automatic.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
...just not small.

downshift....

Originally Posted by mr.motoring
...Downshifting to 2nd is almost never ideal at any speed higher than ~30+ MPH, unless you're a speed-freak racer.

Is it possible to downshift into second and engine-lock the wheels momentarily?

Can you grab a gear with the SS when upshifting does the ECU make this kind of tire abuse impossible?

-Jr.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Downshift from 3rd to 2nd

Hey guys it seems like when i downshift from 3rd to 2nd my car feels to jolt. I usually do this at about 30-25 miles per hour, is that ideal? Do i need to shift at lower speeds like 20mph or 15mph or 10mph? Please advise... is that jolt normal?!?!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its very simple...just don't let the rpm gauge go passed 6800
Old 02-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Try this...

Upshifting

1st to 2nd: The gearbox takes care of that automatically - nothing for you to do.

2nd to 3rd/3rd to 4th/4th to 5th: Upshift anywhere between 3,500 rpm to 4,000 rpm. Your car is new, no point taking it into the VTEC zone just yet.

Downshifting

5th to 4th: You'd have to be cruising at highway speeds to have gotten it into 5th, downshift to 4th when you see slower traffic ahead or anticipate the need to pass.

4th to 3rd: You're coming up on slower traffic in a hurry, or approaching a red light, use this downshift to apply some engine braking and/or use in unison with your brakes to bring the car to a halt smoothly.

3rd to 2nd: Generally not recommended, but can be used when going down a steep hill and you wish to hold that lower gear to prevent generating too much momentum and unnecessarily putting added stress on your brakes.

2nd to 1st: The gearbox automatically handles this, so once again, it's out of your hands.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Safety Car

Thanks everyone for your tips and input! I am learning a lot! Thanks SebringSilver, that was more like something I was looking for.

A few more questions please,

So it is safe to switch between sequential and auto while the car is in motion? I ask this because a lot of people suggested switching to SS when the engine is "hot".

What happens when you stop? I think the car reverts back to 2nd gear (the mazda did). Do you ever need to downshift after a stop to gain the acceleration again? Should you be in 1st gear again after the stop?

Thanks again! I love this forum!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
If you put SS in 2nd when stopped, because of road conditions or other things, the transmission remembers this and will always start in 2nd gear after each stop until you either shift back to 1st when stopped or turn off the engine.

I don't think there is any need to wait until the engine is hot to switch to SS, but you should wait until it is hot to aggressively use the SS mode.

Switching from sequential to SS will not harm your engine because it will not cause the transmission to shift, but will remain in whatever gear you were in before you shifted until you manually change gears. Going from SS to sequential will also not harm anything because it will then go the the proper gear for the engine revs.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
So it is safe to switch between sequential and auto while the car is in motion? I ask this because a lot of people suggested switching to SS when the engine is "hot".

What happens when you stop? I think the car reverts back to 2nd gear (the mazda did). Do you ever need to downshift after a stop to gain the acceleration again? Should you be in 1st gear again after the stop?

Thanks again! I love this forum!
When you come to a complete stop, the car will instinctively downshift to 1st, making it easier for you to set off again. If you upshift to 2nd before moving off again, on your next complete stop, the gearbox will downshift to 2nd (as Ron A said) instead of 1st. Most drivers who do this (putting it in 2nd gear before moving off) do so because they are on a slippery surface (wet tarmac, dirt, or gravel, for example) and do not wish to employ large amounts of torque which could give rise to a loss of tire grip.

It may also be worth noting that in normal city driving, the ideal gear to be in is 4th, so once the car has moved off from a standstill, it is natural to want to get the car into 4th. Benefits would include being able to sustain city cruising speeds at lower rpms, thereby causing less stress on both engine and gearbox, and less fuel consumption (again, owing to the lower revs).

Happy motoring!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dlifter
Hey guys it seems like when i downshift from 3rd to 2nd my car feels to jolt. I usually do this at about 30-25 miles per hour, is that ideal? Do i need to shift at lower speeds like 20mph or 15mph or 10mph? Please advise... is that jolt normal?!?!
To avoid the downshift jolt, keep the accelerator pressed during the shift. It'll take a little practice to find the proper amount of pressure, but, when done correctly, there will be a seamless downshift. I have found that there are times it won't downshift (flashes the gear number for a moment before refusing the downshift) if I'm off the gas, but it does let me downshift if I've got the pressure on the accelerator and all else is equal (speed, grade, etc.). Essentially, the computer won't let you make a shift that's going to drop the transmission onto the roadway.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
You can use the simplified version. A simplified rule is shift according to speed range, since the TL takes care of 1-2 for you, you can use this rule of thumb - 20's in 2nd, 30's in 3rd, 40's in 4th, etc. It really depends on the rpm though.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

I drove the car in SS to work today. Don't think I did too bad. The highest gear I went to was 3rd because of the stop and go lights. Now I am looking forward to a long drive!

Please keep the tips coming. I hope others may find it useful as I am. Again, many thanks!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Advanced

I'm pretty sure the sequential shifter has limits and your not about to blow your engine out. Acura or any other mfg would never put them in a car if they could not be made not to destroy the engine or tranny. I enjoy driving in semi manual as it puts less wear and tear on the brakes and is generally a more enjoyable driving experience...Great in snow too as you can start in 2nd gear. As far as shifting goes, just like a manual transmission you just know by sound and feel when its time to shift. I have accidently shifted down to 2nd when doing over 50 mph. Sure sounded cool but kind of throws you as your not expecting such a large deceleration lol
Old 02-07-2006, 12:55 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
My lesson 101 on this thing is the basic understanding of how the transmission and motor interact together...just the basics....then you will do it all by "feel and sound" after that....no watching this tach crap. Honestly....I cant tell you when the last time I have looked at the tach other than out of curiosity, even on a manual.
I don't know about the 3rd Gen TL's, but when revving a 2nd Gen TL (even the Type-S), unless you have the windows down and aren't playing music, you wouldn't even realize the engine is tickling redline, it's that smooth and quiet.

So how else would one know when to shift? Take a look at all the sports cars out there, like the S2000 for example. The one gauge they all regard as necessary is the tach, usually throwing it front-row-center. Even true race car drivers rely on shift lights instead of the engine note when choosing their next cog.

And who wouldn't want to gaze at all the dials in the cluster from time to time, seeing what they're doing. That's how you know exactly how the car is behaving.

So understand that 'datmrman' just bought this TL and doesn't have an aftermarket exhaust like you do (or even an NSX where you can definitely be "in-tune" with the engine--shifting by aural stimulation with this car IS justified), so a beginner SS'er needs somewhere to start, and that somewhere is the tach.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by junyoure
Is it possible to downshift into second and engine-lock the wheels momentarily?

Can you grab a gear with the SS when upshifting does the ECU make this kind of tire abuse impossible?

-Jr.
I don't quite follow you, but tire abuse would be the last thing you should expect when using SS.