Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sensor behind rear view mirror...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sensor behind rear view mirror...

been trying to find the function of this sensor, but haven`t found it in the book yet... it`s the only thing on the car i don`t know, so it`s driving me crazy... i`ve searched the forum for answers already with no luck... any help would be appreciated... thanks..
Old 07-08-2004, 08:50 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Perhaps housing for a rain sensor that was never implemented? /shrug
Old 07-08-2004, 08:55 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Perhaps housing for a rain sensor that was never implemented? /shrug
thanks, i was thinking the same...
Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Racer

my dad's car has it as well... it works with the auto dimming mirror...

i think it works like this. there are two light sensors, if both sense light then it wont turn on, however if only the sensor that faces the rear window sees alot of light and the one facing the windsheild senses little to none, then the mirror will dim...

I havnt tried it but get a flashlight and shine it on the front sensor while covering the back one with your finger, the mirror should dim.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You seems to be right Neogeek. I thought the same. Front sensor senses the headlight from following cars and the back sensor senses whether it's day or night.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Actualy that is backward. The front sensor(facing windshield) lets the mirror know if it is day or night. The back sensor (below mirror) senses if there is a bight light shining on your mirror. A cool trick to try during the day is to cover the front sensor (facing windshield) with your finger and watch the mirror go black
Old 07-08-2004, 10:54 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Burgman
Actualy that is backward. The front sensor(facing windshield) lets the mirror know if it is day or night. The back sensor (below mirror) senses if there is a bight light shining on your mirror. A cool trick to try during the day is to cover the front sensor (facing windshield) with your finger and watch the mirror go black

I meant Front as in front of you and back as in back of the mirror.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Burgman
I think my sensor is broken, I always have to manually tell my navigation system that it is daytime or nightime, to adjust the color of the navi screens from beige to black. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Neogeek's right. I tried this out a few months ago when I (an engineer) tried to figure out how the auto-dim worked. I figured that there had to be two sensors, and Taa-daa! ... There was!

Originally Posted by Lokius
I think my sensor is broken, I always have to manually tell my navigation system that it is daytime or nightime, to adjust the color of the navi screens from beige to black. Anyone else have this problem?
Lokius - The light sensors on the rear-view mirror are unrelated to the Navi Night/Day display determination. If you have the Navi display set for "Auto" on day/night display and it's always showing one of the two, here's a simple suggestion: Check to see if your interior lights for your dash are always set to "MAX" (the little button above the dash illumination intensity buttons to the left of your steering wheel). My guess is that your dash is always on MAX, which overrides the day/night display control on the Navi. Let us know if this works!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:53 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lokius - The light sensors on the rear-view mirror are unrelated to the Navi Night/Day display determination. If you have the Navi display set for "Auto" on day/night display and it's always showing one of the two, here's a simple suggestion: Check to see if your interior lights for your dash are always set to "MAX" (the little button above the dash illumination intensity buttons to the left of your steering wheel). My guess is that your dash is always on MAX, which overrides the day/night display control on the Navi. Let us know if this works!

I will give that a shot, I always have it on MAX, and I didn't realize that it overrides the day/night control on the navi, I'll just switch it to one below max, and then make sure my Navi Display is set to "Auto" and I should be set, thanks alot man! I appreciate it
Old 07-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokius
I will give that a shot, I always have it on MAX, and I didn't realize that it overrides the day/night control on the navi, I'll just switch it to one below max, and then make sure my Navi Display is set to "Auto" and I should be set, thanks alot man! I appreciate it
I'm willing to bet money that my suggestion solves your problem ...