3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my '08 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting mix of replies. Thanks to all for providing feedback.

Originally Posted by 08TYPE_S
I got an '08 Type S that rattles from day one. The dealer has replaced parts in different locations, that supposedly caused the rattle, 3 times already and it still rattles. The last rattle appointment I had was this past Saturday. I took the tech on a drive and he was confident that he found it. Picked up the car and the rattle was still there. So far, it has been the worse car ownership experience ever. I wish I have my old Accord back.
Wow, exact same thing happened to me with the tech going for a drive with me, even driving the car, and saying that he heard it, only to get it back once it was "fixed" and have the same rattle again literally as soon as I pulled out of the dealership, within less than 10 seconds!! lol. That felt great!

Originally Posted by pkarandi
Have you considered a new G35 sedan? Those things are SWEET, and as far as I'm concerned, the only drawback to them (vs. the TL) is they don't get such great gas mileage.
You know, I heard the same thing about those as well, so I'd be really worried about having the same issues again. They are very cool cars, and I probably should at least test drive one.

Originally Posted by pokin
Spree,
Judging by your writings in this and the previous thread. I know you are simply DONE - period. I don't blame you one bit - bad luck of the draw.

I say, sell it because you will not be happy otherwise. I suggest that you tolerate it for a few more months and trade it back to Acura for a 09 or trade/swap for a G35.
I'm not sure if I'd buy another Acura again. The TL pretty much crushed my pristine image of the brand. And it's not like this was my first Acura either... I had a new '95 Integra GS-R, then a new '02 RSX-S. They were both phenomenal cars, which was the reason I went back to Acura after selling the M3. But probably never again.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
to be honest its such a kick in the ass to trade a car in upside-down..when i traded my benz in for my tl i was upside-down...guess how much i owe on my TL..44,000$ out the door. be careful what you do...next time i will be more careful,and not have a 650$ car payment for 1/4-1/2 the car i COULD have for that kind of monthly payment.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
too many hobbies...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spree
You know, I heard the same thing about those as well, so I'd be really worried about having the same issues again. They are very cool cars, and I probably should at least test drive one.

I'm not sure if I'd buy another Acura again. The TL pretty much crushed my pristine image of the brand. And it's not like this was my first Acura either... I had a new '95 Integra GS-R, then a new '02 RSX-S. They were both phenomenal cars, which was the reason I went back to Acura after selling the M3. But probably never again.
Interesting - I hadn't heard the G35 had similar issues. My wife has a 2004 G35X (AWD) model and it has been pretty good overall. Never a rattle in the 4 years she has owned it. The main problem I have with it is that it just EATS brakes like crazy. I read that was a common problem with the 2003-2005 models until they fixed it on the 2006 model.

My previous car was also a Honda, which is partly why I bought my TL-S this time. That 1994 Prelude was bullet-proof. It didn't rattle at all the day I sold it a few weeks ago, and it was 14 years old! The motor was still running like a champ too, although I expect my TL-S's motor will also be rock-solid - haven't heard any major issues with the motors on this forum.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Spree
Not sure! That's my biggest thing is I don't really like anything else out there. In all likelihood, I'll probably get a used M3 (04-05).

Did no one else catch this, ha... He is going to get a used M3 which my buddy has and that thing has so many rattles its ridiculous.

The suspension is much much tighter than the TL-S and therefore that translates into a rough ride and noises throughout the car, especially one that is 3-5 years old but everyone knows that.

You can't have the best of both worlds, a great fun sporty car that you never get tired of, and a nice plush ride with absolutely no rattles.

The TL-S is pretty much a good blend between the 2. Going with the m3, you will pull your hair out trying to locate every sound in that rattle trap.

Oh well, its your money.. Good luck
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That sounds like a bad case of buyer's remorse. No one gets rid of a car that new for "rattles" that can be fixed at the dealer.

Just out of curiousity.....what do you plan on buying next? Will you sell every new car u get because of small issues like ratlles?
Bad financial decision. There is 2k back from the factory on TLs right now and dealers can go deep in the hole on these cars and of course they offer financing.
Good luck on the sale though.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pits200
Did no one else catch this, ha... He is going to get a used M3 which my buddy has and that thing has so many rattles its ridiculous.

The suspension is much much tighter than the TL-S and therefore that translates into a rough ride and noises throughout the car, especially one that is 3-5 years old but everyone knows that.

You can't have the best of both worlds, a great fun sporty car that you never get tired of, and a nice plush ride with absolutely no rattles.

The TL-S is pretty much a good blend between the 2. Going with the m3, you will pull your hair out trying to locate every sound in that rattle trap.

Oh well, its your money.. Good luck
Thanks, but if you notice in my other post, I mentioned that I had a 2003 M3 before I bought the Acura, and it had a grand total of 1 rattle, and that came from the speaker which I eventually fixed. Other than that, the car was perfect. Granted, I do realize that I could have been very lucky in owning a very well built M3, and that another M3 might be just as rattly as my TL, but I'd rather drive a rattly M3, than a rattly Acura.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Advanced

yo gg lock this one down His mind is made up. Good luck with your used M3 purchase.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
That sounds like a bad case of buyer's remorse. No one gets rid of a car that new for "rattles" that can be fixed at the dealer.

Just out of curiousity.....what do you plan on buying next? Will you sell every new car u get because of small issues like ratlles?
Bad financial decision. There is 2k back from the factory on TLs right now and dealers can go deep in the hole on these cars and of course they offer financing.
Good luck on the sale though.
Dealer hasn't fixed my rattles yet. People are different. It's the little things that set me off. If I have to listen to 20 minutes of rattles during my 30 minute commute to work in the morning I'm already in a bad mood. I listen to talk radio so no music to cover them up.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMcLovin
yo gg lock this one down His mind is made up. Good luck with your used M3 purchase.