Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my '07 Acura TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
Hmm I may have to go see and test one in person.

I've been driving a 3G TL since 2004 when I leased an 05 so I was kinda wanting something different. But my TLS us in such good shape that it almost seems like a crime to sell it.

then don't sell it, I think you would regret it, especially if you think its a crime to sell it. idk. just be 100% sure you want to sell it and are 100% sure that you like the car you will be buying.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by runutsooh
then don't sell it, I think you would regret it, especially if you think its a crime to sell it. idk. just be 100% sure you want to sell it and are 100% sure that you like the car you will be buying.
Honestly I think I am waiting for something that is a quantum leap forward.

Lexus really hosed all their cars with that new Ghetto grille IMO. Plus their gas mileage isn't class leading for a 2014 model. Competitors like BMW, Acura are more efficient and the M235i for example has better handling and stronger acceleration.

BMW M235i is the most compelling car to me ATM but my wife doesn't care for its styling. So I can never buy that car and truly be happy if she isn't as well.

Never been a fan of Cadillac and their styling still doesn't win me over.

Acura current TL does nothing for me and the TLX is still 3 months away. I am guessing the TLX equipped like my 07 TLS will be in the mid $40s. Kinda kills me to spend that kind of coin on a front wheel drive car.

I prefer buying cars that are 1-2 years old with low mileage so they still have good warranty left while also being around 10-15k off sticker. So far I don't have that many candidates.

Yes I know, I'm a pain in the ass
Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Honestly I think I am waiting for something that is a quantum leap forward.

Lexus really hosed all their cars with that new Ghetto grille IMO. Plus their gas mileage isn't class leading for a 2014 model. Competitors like BMW, Acura are more efficient and the M235i for example has better handling and stronger acceleration.

BMW M235i is the most compelling car to me ATM but my wife doesn't care for its styling. So I can never buy that car and truly be happy if she isn't as well.

Never been a fan of Cadillac and their styling still doesn't win me over.

Acura current TL does nothing for me and the TLX is still 3 months away. I am guessing the TLX equipped like my 07 TLS will be in the mid $40s. Kinda kills me to spend that kind of coin on a front wheel drive car.

I prefer buying cars that are 1-2 years old with low mileage so they still have good warranty left while also being around 10-15k off sticker. So far I don't have that many candidates.

Yes I know, I'm a pain in the ass
Not a PIA at all- when you buy new, you want something at least as good (from a reliability and equipment standpoint) as what you have and hopefully better. If it's essentially the same as what you have, why get it if it's going to be a lot of cash to be the same as a car you already have? That's why I say don't sell. Do an upgrade of some kind to your Type-S to keep you interested and keep it for the long run (your's is a nice car in a somewhat rare color). The only reason I would get a replacement for my 06 would be if major assemblies were failing and I'm putting a lot of money into the car waiting for the next repair. Cars are a huge depreciating asset, so in general, better to keep what you have. The car market would love for all of us to upgrade every 2 years or so, but in the grand scheme, look how much extra you will have in other assets (not car related).

Last edited by erdoc48; 05-07-2014 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Audioholics (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Sounds like op (or his wife) has a gripe with almost everything lol. The TLX imo is anything but a quantum leap foward, couldent ask for anything more bland or 'regular'. Despite what you said about buying cars a year or 2 old with low mileage, id keep the type s.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I would go with the IS350 F or wait for the TLX. The grill will slowly grow on you trust me
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Not a PIA at all- when you buy new, you want something at least as good (from a reliability and equipment standpoint) as what you have and hopefully better. If it's essentially the same as what you have, why get it if it's going to be a lot of cash to be the same as a car you already have? That's why I say don't sell. Do an upgrade of some kind to your Type-S to keep you interested and keep it for the long run (your's is a nice car in a somewhat rare color). The only reason I would get a replacement for my 06 would be if major assemblies were failing and I'm putting a lot of money into the car waiting for the next repair. Cars are a huge depreciating asset, so in general, better to keep what you have. The car market would love for all of us to upgrade every 2 years or so, but in the grand scheme, look how much extra you will have in other assets (not car related).
Good points. What bugs me about my TLS is it's very noisy when driving on the HW at speeds greater than 70mph making it very difficult to hear a call I am engaged in via Bluetooth.

The Frontwheel drive does bother me when making sharp turns and the car isn't nearly as tight as what I've experienced recently in a Beamer.

That being said, I don't often get the opportunity to fun drive where I live. Cops are everywhere and windy roads are few and far between. I guess it's easy to get caught up in the Youtube reviews of cars realizing test track results are often not very practical to every day driving.

My youngest daughter loves the TLS and wants me to keep it forever and I'd hate to break her heart

Yet I can't ignore the fact that I can get $15k cash for my TLS right now and go to a BMW dealer and pick up a low mileage 2013 335i Sedan fully loaded CPO for around $44k.

The question is: will the 335i truly be worth $30k trade difference from what I have now? Probably for a few months until I get used to the "new car" and then feel like I just sunk money into a depreciating asset.

Last edited by Audioholics; 05-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Good points. What bugs me about my TLS is it's very noisy when driving on the HW at speeds greater than 70mph making it very difficult to hear a call I am engaged in via Bluetooth.

The Frontwheel drive does bother me when making sharp turns and the car isn't nearly as tight as what I've experienced recently in a Beamer.

That being said, I don't often get the opportunity to fun drive where I live. Cops are everywhere and windy roads are few and far between. I guess it's easy to get caught up in the Youtube reviews of cars realizing test track results are often not very practical to every day driving.

My youngest daughter loves the TLS and wants me to keep it forever and I'd hate to break her heart

Yet I can't ignore the fact that I can get $15k cash for my TLS right now and go to a BMW dealer and pick up a low mileage 2013 335i Sedan fully loaded CPO for around $44k.

The question is: will the 335i truly be worth $30k trade difference from what I have now? Probably for a few months until I get used to the "new car" and then feel like I just sunk money into a depreciating asset.
It's not even about being able to drive spirited on the regular - honestly just being on the wheel of the BMW is an amazingly different road feel. I love every motion I make in my 135. It truly is an amazing drive.

That said, if you can swing it and have CPO, then I would buy that 335 and be high on life.

But i may be slightly biased.....
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Noisy highway ride= noisy tires maybe? Do you think a new set might help?

Edit: sorry, I looked at your ad and saw you have good tires on it.

Last edited by erdoc48; 05-07-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Noisy highway ride= noisy tires maybe? Do you think a new set might help?

Edit: sorry, I looked at your ad and saw you have good tires on it.
No it's the nature of a 3G TL. I didn't realize how noisy it was till I drove in a Hyundai Genesis.

Also while I am bitching, the wide turn circle in parking lots is also a PIA
Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting to get into something new and different. Especially when you've been driving the same car for 6 years. But like everyone says, "happy wife = happy life". Maybe wait a bit until the 4 series gran coupe comes out?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
I don't blame you for wanting to get into something new and different. Especially when you've been driving the same car for 6 years. But like everyone says, "happy wife = happy life". Maybe wait a bit until the 4 series gran coupe comes out?
Im not up to date on BMW stuff or if the "gran coupe" is some special model, but I saw a 4 series coupe at work yesterday. Before seeing that car I had no clue there even was such a thing as a 4 series lol. It looked ok, certainly didn't blow my mind.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk

Ironically I've been driving a 3G TL since 2005. Leased the first TL and bought the TLS a low mileage for a great deal back in 09.

My wife doesn't get the driving experience of a BMW. She just sees bland styling and alleged poor reliability.

When I test drove an M235i last month I was pumped to get one until I saw the look of disappointment on her face.

Oh well it's only a car
Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Im not up to date on BMW stuff or if the "gran coupe" is some special model, but I saw a 4 series coupe at work yesterday. Before seeing that car I had no clue there even was such a thing as a 4 series lol. It looked ok, certainly didn't blow my mind.
The 4 series GC is just going to add two extra doors. Basically what they did to the 6 series GC. To be honest, I have no idea what BMW is doing with their nomenclature. Models with even numbers were supposed to have two doors and the odd numbers were supposed to be the 4 doors. In terms of styling, I think the 4 GC looks better than the current 3 series that's in production.

4 series gran coupe:
Selling my '07 Acura TL Type S-rnt19qm.png

3 series
Selling my '07 Acura TL Type S-c4sku43.png

Ironically I've been driving a 3G TL since 2005. Leased the first TL and bought the TLS a low mileage for a great deal back in 09.

My wife doesn't get the driving experience of a BMW. She just sees bland styling and alleged poor reliability.

When I test drove an M235i last month I was pumped to get one until I saw the look of disappointment on her face.

Oh well it's only a car
Maybe if you keep persisting on getting a M235i, she'll eventually let you pick one up? Ask her if she wants you to be truly happy.

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 05-08-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup the 3rd gen TL especially the Type S is hard to beat. What about a BMW 328 or 335? Both are great cars! Audi A6 with sports package? Or maybe Audi S4?
Audioholics (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Yup the 3rd gen TL especially the Type S is hard to beat. What about a BMW 328 or 335? Both are great cars! Audi A6 with sports package? Or maybe Audi S4?
I wouldn't get a 328i but I'm tempted to get a low mileage 2013 335i Sport. What stops me is 2013 seems to be the lowest JD Power rating for that car. Wonder if it was a lemon year for BMW?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Understand your feeling.....but my KBP TL-S only has 48k miles on it. Have a severe itch for a new car, but nothing out there that is reasonably priced answers the mail. The new TLX ..............no. Good luck in your decision making, for now I am keeping my TL-S...........
Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audioholics -- IMO one of the big bargains in a used car these days is a late W211 E Class Benz. The ideal vehicle would be an '09 E550. It's just an extraordinary car. I prefer an '09 211 to the 212 introduced in 2010 for styling and interior.

Look for a CPO car at your local dealer. Note that I wouldn't bring the car up here on an Acura forum except that you mentioned a BMW and its "bland interior."

On the subject of reliability: I've owned a half dozen Benzes, none of which were expensive to maintain. Cheap as an Acura? No. But not particularly expensive either.

Just stay away from the dealerships, where the Service Advisors are paid on commission!! The more they find to do, the bigger their take home pay! Ditto at BMW dealerships, btw.

Doesn't exactly line up the incentives ideally, huh?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Mercedes C300 Sport is what my mom has and id say i freaking love the spool of the turbos and she gets ~40mpg but it always seems to have an issue here and there ie. the middle console control (for controlling your media display) broke way too easily and they wouldn't fix it under warranty.... so idk if that would be the best route considering your tl is so dang reliable!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by D's Up
The IS-F doesn't sport the newer style, "predator" grill. It's got the original front end that made it so damn sexy in the first place.
The ISF is currently the only vehicle that I would consider replacing my TLS with. I have been considering selling my TLS and getting a 2011 or later ISF.
D's Up (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you ever sell it? if not, glws
Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 PM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by dj5
The ISF is currently the only vehicle that I would consider replacing my TLS with. I have been considering selling my TLS and getting a 2011 or later ISF.
I'm telling you man, go look at the IS-F. It doesn't have the predatory grill. You will fall in love with it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

shame the IS-F never came with a proper third pedal though.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by D's Up
I'm telling you man, go look at the IS-F. It doesn't have the predatory grill. You will fall in love with it.
The IS-F is nice without the predatory grille but it costs over $60k which is quite spendy for that car IMO.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 PM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
The IS-F is nice without the predatory grille but it costs over $60k which is quite spendy for that car IMO.
My bad, *predator grill. Predatory was a typo. I'm sure you can find an IS-F for less than $60k, that seems pretty steep.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM
07 TL-S

I was going to get rid of my 07 TLS. I had considered an audi s4 and the TLX but am disappointed with how that turned out. Instead, I got my TLS fully detailed so I can continue to be happy with it and no car payment. I do love driving the TLS and for me, I don't think it's a good year to buy a car anymore.

I kinda know what you mean by noise while driving compared to these new cars but then again I have ATLP exhaust.