Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...seating question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...seating question

I recently have purchased a 2008 TL Type - S. Formerly I drove a CL Type - S and have been a satisfied Acura owner. The one thing I've discovered that is not working out in the TL is the seats. I have a back issue, and the seat is simply not working out for me. So I've been researching alternative seating and believe I've found a solution in the Recaro seating products.

As I understand things, in order to put the Recaro seats in, I will need a bracket which is developed by a company called Wedge Engineering. They are located in Long Beach, California. All they need from me for a day is the car in order to get the specs to create the bracket. Herein lies the challenge and the question.

The challenge is that I live in North Carolina and Wedge Engineering is in Long Beach California.

The question is, is there anyone who would be willing to help me and to expand the world of acura seating possibilities by loaning their car for a day to Wedge Engineering. I'll be absorbing the cost of creating the bracket for the first time and subsequently it should be available for anyone who would like to do the same thing in their car.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

What color is the interior of your car if I may ask? If you do go about doing this, I might be interested in your seats depending upon the interior color.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

The seats I currently have are leather black and grey.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:31 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
You could always switch with a Base TL owner?
Just wondering though, aren't Recaro seats even more uncomfortable?
People have made custom brackets though, check out the performance section at the end of the weight reduction thread by "inaccurate" It's a DIY
Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simplycurious_7
The seats I currently have are leather black and grey.
I was looking to put those seats in my 06 TL but couldn't find anyone who was willing to switch or sell their type S seats. If all works out for your plans for your seats, would you consider selling them? If so, could you PM me a price?

Good luck on your seach for seats though. If you find the base TL seats more comfortable then I'd be willing to switch with you.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:11 PM
10th Gear

Hello aSpec. Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure that our respective seats are interchangeable. I spoke with the Dealer some on this possibility and he mentioned that the plug-in for the TL Type S and the TL seat were not the same shape and thus you couldn't plug one into the other car for the electrical considerations of the seat (ie movement, airbags, etc.)
Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simplycurious_7
Hello aSpec. Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure that our respective seats are interchangeable. I spoke with the Dealer some on this possibility and he mentioned that the plug-in for the TL Type S and the TL seat were not the same shape and thus you couldn't plug one into the other car for the electrical considerations of the seat (ie movement, airbags, etc.)
That sucks. I guess I will do some research as well and see if there is anyway to work with the seat switch and make it possible.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

I spoke to the Dealer again today about whether these were interchangeable, and he said they were based on the part numbers being the same. We explored it conversationally over the course of 40 minutes, so I tend to beleive his latter answer more than the first. All that said, I'm unsure at the moment as to whether I would want to sell the seats. Mainly, because I've not quite found the solution to my issue and secondly, if I change the seat to a recaro, I'd like to keep the original equipment in the event another buyer of the car would prefer that.

Like the dealer though, I may be inclined to change my thoughts as I become more solidified in the final solution.