Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sad brake ducts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sad brake ducts...

anyone noticed the sorry excuse for the "so called brake ducts" that come with the dynamic pkg (Canadian 6pd with brembos) and i guess the US version with Brembos. They are just pieces of plastic that hang down under the car with a slot to direct airflow to the back of the brake rotors. simple, yes, efficient, can't really say. Its either a very simple yet effective approach or more of a gimmick.

I was hoping for Porsche, or BMW or even the RSX-S type of ducting with is more involved.

What do you guys think about it?

To be fair, i havn't really done any tests or anything. My opinion is purely based on its physical looks and lack of engineering at first glance. At least the RSX-S has more plastic ducting with direct air from the bumper area to the back of the rotors. The M3 does the same. It may even have Porsche like tubing as well. For us Tl owners, we get little plastic flaps with a slit in them
Old 01-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Don't judge a book by it's cover.
RSX-S out of the box does not have any fancy air ducks to it's brakes... I star at one every night, my fiance has one.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

They are aftermarket JDM. Really nice pieces of plastic that fits in the lower grills / fog light areas in the front bumper

You are correct that it doesn't come stock with the car. It is a optional piece from honda japan When they came out i was wondering why they didn't make one for my S2000. The RSX-S has OEM JDM and The S2000 sports car doesn't

Now the TL has these little things...

lucky RSXers
Old 01-08-2004, 02:00 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ludebliss
Now the TL has these little things...

OK, those nasty little things are strakes, they are designed (without the holes) to keep the air drag from the tires down (the forward spining tread creates disruptions and drag in the air stream). Most new cars are using the strakes in front of the front/rear wheels.

Acura acually patented the front ones on our car as they have built in brake cooling ducts (while small), as the area of pressure is high in front of the strake, if forces air into the opening (duct) where there is low pressure to cool the brakes.

the same thing goes if the opening was in the bumper, it is a high pressure area, with the air then forced in the duct back to the wheel. These need longer ducts as the distance is further to travel.

Acura just figured a cheaper, less cool looking way to do it.

You can always install your own with some tubing like the race guys do
Old 01-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I think they would work out nicely out there although they look like that way.

need4spd, I almost attach your useful pictures again to explain the whole system. But I'm glad you wrote them up prior to me.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Need4spd, your right don't get me wrong. I love the car. I rarely doubt the efficiency of Honda/Acura. That is why I said my observation was strictly a physical one not a functional one. I figured that they just incorporated the slots in the strakes that were going to be there anyways.

Need4spd, do you own an S2000 as well? I seem to remember your handle on the S2ki site
Old 01-08-2004, 03:18 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem, just trying to explain. But you are right, they look wimpy.

No s2000, would love one though