Sponsored by:

Running wire through A-Pillar...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Running wire through A-Pillar...HELP

Hello everyone,

I searched, but I couldn't really find anything on this topic, but I know there is definatly some knowledge about this topic considering how many people on here have hard-wired their radar detectors.

Right now, I'm wiring up a dual strobe light right behind my mirror (I'm a vol. FF in NY), and I'm installing the switch on the blank next to the VSA and mirror controls and getting the power from an add-a-circuit in the fuse box down by the dead pedal. I've got the light mounted up, wire tucked up into the head liner, and about 1/2 way down the A-pillar. Now in my old car, I was able to just pull that cover out far enough to stick the wire all the way through, and work with it from the outside half to get it down to the fuse box, but that car didn't have side curtain airbags. I'm not too familiar with exactly how the airbags work, but they always told us in the fire service to be careful of the bags at all times at an accident scene when cutting up a car, so I'm fearful or setting mine off. I also don't want the wire to cross infront of it so God forbid if it ever needs to deploy, I don't want the wire to cause any issues.

So my question really I guess is...how did you all get the wire through there and down to the fuse box?

P.S. I have the panel off that has the VSA\mirror controls so far.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
what you can do is try to run it along the inside of the pillar (closer to the windshield) instead of the outside since it deploy's outwards.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:20 PM
New shoes on my

That's what I was doing, running it on the windshied side, but when I got to the bottom, I needed to pass it through.

What I ended up doing though was when I got to the top of the pillar at the hedliner, I went directly to the outside of the pillar towards the door. That looked like it went over the top of the airbag, then there was a nice channel to run the wire down the pillar when I pulled away the weather stripping. It's difficult to explain but ended up working out.

The install ended up coming out nice and clean. Only thing is I'm not a big fan of the switch I used in the blank, so now I begin the search for a new blank to I can get a different switch and swap it out.

Last edited by mglax13; 09-28-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by mglax13
That's what I was doing, running it on the windshied side, but when I got to the bottom, I needed to pass it through.

What I ended up doing though was when I got to the top of the pillar at the hedliner, I went directly to the outside of the pillar towards the door. That looked like it went over the top of the airbag, then there was a nice channel to run the wire down the pillar when I pulled away the weather stripping. It's difficult to explain but ended up working out.

The install ended up coming out nice and clean. Only thing is I'm not a big fan of the switch I used in the blank, so now I begin the search for a new blank to I can get a different switch and swap it out.
If you want, but an acura MDX or honda fog light push button, it has 3 wires, ground power and output, and it fits into the blanks.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
New shoes on my

No shit? That would be VERY clean install. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
New shoes on my

For all those wondering, the part number on the MDX switch is 35180-S3V-A01ZA and they run for about $23 plus shipping. I'll report back when I receive the switch and install it.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:18 PM
New shoes on my

I'll snap a few tonight of the switch and the light install, but there's not much to see. When I get the foglight switch in, then I'll take some more. The only issue that I'm imagining that I'll run into is that if this switch is anything else like every other switch in the car, then there will be a plug that would normally plug into the back of the switch. I'll either have to find that plug with the leads and connect it all together, or I'll have to open up the back of the plug and find out what wires go where...

Anyone have any experience with these plugs or a wiring diagram that might be helpful?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
You won't set the airbag off by pulling off the A pillar cover. Pull the plug that says SRS or Airbag (cant remember right now), once that is pulled out about an inch and then you will be able to pop off the entire a pillar and then properly run the wires on the edge towards the winshield and down the bottom of the airbag system.

Not sure what your asking about in your question above. if you have a plug attached to the switch it will only have three wires, use an ohm meter and determine which is open when the switch is set to off, and closed when the switch is to on, then you will know which one is a lead and which one is the output
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
New shoes on my

As promised, here are some photos:

Tucked up behind mirror. RIght now I'm using suction cup mounts, but I will switch over to metal "L" brackets and get it ont here using rear view mirror adhessive.

Current switch

Close up of switch, soon to be replaced by 2002 MDX fog switch

It peaks out from just under the tinted strip. Once I use the mirror adhessive, I'll be able to get it up a little higher, so it will hide behind the strip until I turn them on
Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

That looks really good! Clean install and you can't even see the lights behind your rearview mirror. This reminds me: I wish that Acura aftermarket windshields would have a spot for an easypass up there. There should be a square without the tint.

Also, nice neighborhood...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

I have the book about Acura wiring diagrams. What pictures do you need exactly? Maybe I can scan them or take a photo.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
New shoes on my

Thanks for the compliments!

As for the diagram, I was just thinking ahead. I'm figuring that the back of the MDX switch will look like the back of any other switches on the car, the female end of some type of plug. I planned on popping off the back and wiring my light into the wires on the switch, but I'm not sure what wire would go to the 12V, the load and the ground. I could go the voltmeter route, but I don't own a voltmeter and I really don't feel like paying for one to use this once.

So I guess exactly what I would need is the fog light diagram for a 2002 MDX, more specifically the area where the unit plugs into the switch. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 AM
New shoes on my

Ok, here's an update:

I finally found some time to start figuring out the MDX's foglight switch. In the switch I'm using now, one goes to 12V, one to the load, and one to the ground. The reason for the ground switch is that it has an indicator LED in it. The MDX switch has 5 tabs in the back. I'm assuming that one is for the ground, one for the load, one for the 12V, one for lighting up the switch when the headlights come on, and one last one for god knows what. I decided that while it would be cool to get the switch to light up with the headlights, I don't have the patience nor the inclination to figure that all out. I did however figure out the original 3 12V, load and ground. Below is a diagram that I drew on MS paint because I'm very bored right now.

This is looking at the back of the switch with the status LED towards the top, which I'm assuming is the correct position for this switch.

So now, it's 2:30 am and I'm not going out to my car to replace the switch, so when I do that either tomorrow or this weekend, I'll snap some pics.

I hope this helped anyone who is thinking about wiring up an acessory to this switch.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ should have hit me up. i live a block from mineola, and im pretty good at this shit

what FD are you working at? Mineola? Albertson?... you must have seen my car around town
Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 AM
I have car ADD

oh, and to make the MDX switch light up, just tap into an illumination wire...
Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 AM
DuDeChEwY

looks clean
Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 AM
New shoes on my

Well, bad news....

I should have done this right off the bat, but I didn't...the switch is the right width, but not the right height! The MDX switch is about a half inch shorter than the VSA swtich and the blank!

So, back to the drawing board to find a swtch that fits, then I'll do this again. I should have measured this all out before I hacked off the back of the switch. That's $23 down the drain.

Blackura, I can't beleive that I've never seen your TL! I'm at the Mineola firehouse, based out of headquarters, the back faces Jericho Tpke and the front is on Washington Ave. I'd love to check it out one day dude. If I need help, I will certainly be picking your brain...haha

Being that you're from around here, you know any good shops to get my H&R's installed for a reasonable price?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Well, bad news....

I should have done this right off the bat, but I didn't...the switch is the right width, but not the right height! The MDX switch is about a half inch shorter than the VSA swtich and the blank!

So, back to the drawing board to find a swtch that fits, then I'll do this again. I should have measured this all out before I hacked off the back of the switch. That's $23 down the drain.
That switch looks very similar to the 7th gen accord fog light switch. Can you measure the opening and I'll check it on my car.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I have car ADD

Well, bad news....

Blackura, I can't beleive that I've never seen your TL! I'm at the Mineola firehouse, based out of headquarters, the back faces Jericho Tpke and the front is on Washington Ave. I'd love to check it out one day dude. If I need help, I will certainly be picking your brain...haha

Being that you're from around here, you know any good shops to get my H&R's installed for a reasonable price?

i only let ONE shop/mechanic touch my car, and thats not even the dealer... ill introduce you to my mechanic, he knows the 3G very well.. ive sent alot of members to him

as for the switch, im not sure about the MDX one, but the 7th Gen accord is a niiiiice fit. BforBrian did it, and its perfect.. the color is amber/orange though , so it doesnt match to perfectly, but it fits really snug
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
New shoes on my

Blackura, thanks for hooking me up with your mechanic, I definatly need someone trustworthy to install the springs. As far as the 7th Gen Accord Switch, I'm looking on all sorts of Honda OEM Parts sites, and I can't find any fog light switches. I pick a year between 2003-2007, and then pick the accord, but for the trim, I'm not sure which came with fog lights, I would assume EX, as if I remember correctly, that was the higest trim level, but no such luck. Any leads on finding one of these?