Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run in with a Silver TL on Hwy 360 Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run in with a Silver TL on Hwy 360 Arlington

Silver TL driver on 360 you visit this site?

I had a run in with you on 360 Northbound around 8 pm tonight.

Here I am having a relaxing drive home after a hard workout, blasting the XM set to SQUIZZ.

I notice this silver TL coming up behind me, so I didn't really pay much attention to it, since MOST of the TL drivers I've seen are either geezers or women.

So he passes me, noticed it was a guy so I pull up behind him; then he sped up. So I played ketchup.

So we're weaving in & out down the highway, trying to prove to each other who has the biggest dick , and everytime I downshifted I smelled burnt clutch. Does downshifting put a great load on the clutch, say shifting from 6 to 4 or 3?

Don't know if the silver one was 6 speed, but everytime he accelerated I was directly on his tail.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:53 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Downshifting by itself isn't what will smoke your clutch, if you match engine RPM to speed before engaging the clutch. It sounds like you use your clutch as an expensive brake, though.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro

No I wasn't braking. I was cruising @ 6th and just needed some power quickly.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Ok, but the point is the same. It is best to match engine RPM to that needed by the "destination gear" before engaging the clutch so as to minimize clutch slippage. So, if your engine is typically turning 4500 RPM in third at your current speed, but you're in sixth, push in the clutch, shift to third, rev to 4500 RPM, and then engage the clutch. Don't slip the clutch while the engine comes up to speed or you'll smoke it in a hurry.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
bluenoise is correct. Most people haven't a clue how to properly downshift a manual transmission and this is no reflection on you, AcidHorse.

What most do is to release the throttle, depress the clutch, shift into the chosen lower gear, the slowly release the clutch. THIS IS VERY BAD AND IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT HOW TO PROPERLY DOWNSHIFT.

As you pass through the neutral gate on your way to the next lower gear, let the clutch out some (doesn't have to be all the way) while at the same time blipping the throttle to raise engine RPMs beyond what they will be in the lower gear. Back in with the clutch, finish the shift and fully engage the clutch. This should happen rather quickly and if done right, is seamless and smooth with virtually no slippage at all in the clutch.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:47 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
bluenoise is correct. Most people haven't a clue how to properly downshift a manual transmission and this is no reflection on you, AcidHorse.

What most do is to release the throttle, depress the clutch, shift into the chosen lower gear, the slowly release the clutch. THIS IS VERY BAD AND IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT HOW TO PROPERLY DOWNSHIFT.

As you pass through the neutral gate on your way to the next lower gear, let the clutch out some (doesn't have to be all the way) while at the same time blipping the throttle to raise engine RPMs beyond what they will be in the lower gear. Back in with the clutch, finish the shift and fully engage the clutch. This should happen rather quickly and if done right, is seamless and smooth with virtually no slippage at all in the clutch.

In other words, double-clutch

often used in racing or on 18-wheelers, much better for the tranny and safer when you downshift while taking a curve or whatever cuz it will not make the car jerk thus reducing the risk of losing control (even more at high speeds).
Old 04-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Car Addict

I rev match if I am doing a bit downshift. Rev the motor up a bit and then slap it in gear. Don't get too nuts downshifting, 3rd might be a little aggressive depending on your speed. I used to have a 98 Camaro SS, I used to grab 2nd too.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To @cUr@-TL;

Yeah, you could call it a variation of double clutching. Definitely will add many tens of thousands of miles to your clutch, not to mention your synchronizers. Plus, it shows you know what you're doing.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcidHorse
Silver TL driver on 360 you visit this site?

I had a run in with you on 360 Northbound around 8 pm tonight.

Here I am having a relaxing drive home after a hard workout, blasting the XM set to SQUIZZ.

I notice this silver TL coming up behind me, so I didn't really pay much attention to it, since MOST of the TL drivers I've seen are either geezers or women.

So he passes me, noticed it was a guy so I pull up behind him; then he sped up. So I played ketchup.

So we're weaving in & out down the highway, trying to prove to each other who has the biggest dick , and everytime I downshifted I smelled burnt clutch. Does downshifting put a great load on the clutch, say shifting from 6 to 4 or 3?

Don't know if the silver one was 6 speed, but everytime he accelerated I was directly on his tail.
You have some balls doing that on 360 with all of those damn speed traps. :cop: