3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Routing iPod/iPhone USB Cable Thru Armrest Console Outlet (No Modification)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Night and Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Routing iPod/iPhone USB Cable Thru Armrest Console Outlet (No Modification)

I searched, but if this is already covered, please remove my thread - Also, I am not liable for any damaged done. I merely tried this out with an apple iPhone 4S usb cable. Other cables may vary in thickness and may not be applicable yadda yadda

For those without the thoughtfully redesigned armrests on your 3G that has the handy little notch for your cable to pass thru without getting crimped, I may have a solution that does not require cutting a little piece out of your felt.

If you are like me, and HATE wires, this might be an option. I cant stand having my little compartment opened on my dash to use the outlet. I have a 6MT so having wires dangling or wrapped around the stick shift is annoying, but I don't want my phone completely locked away in the armrest compartment, so I was examining to see if I could close the armrest without (to the best of my eye) damaging/pinching the wire.

Pics:

If your armrest compartment looks like this:

You will want to position the wire about like this. Make sure it is on the outside of the nub as shown

Ultimately you will want the wire to be here as you are closing the armrest. Make note you do not want it to be closing on the angled "fin" piece jutting out from the side of the armrest.

Almost closed:

make sure its outside the round nub and inside the corner felt going down. Not to the side and not inside the nub because the plastic tub for the upper compartment will squish the wire as it makes connection with the compartment. the wire needs to go down the side but still straight down (if that makes sense)

Fully closed:

Note the final resting place of the wire is next to the nub. the armrest ...rests on the nub creating the small gap.

If positioned correctly, there should really be no force feedback or resistance when closing the console and the wire should (with minimal resistance) be able to slide out and (with more resistance) feed back in under the armrest. At no point does it feel "caught" or pinched on something when I did it.

A nice compromise to have access to my phone while charging/etc. without all the wire mess!

Goodluck! Let me know if this is stupid so I don't post dumb shit like this again, thinking it's helpful!

Justin-

Last edited by gwai1o; 06-30-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lol I just smashed my wire lol! And my gf wire is thicker than mine but I do it anyway

Last edited by jonmizu; 06-30-2012 at 10:52 PM.