Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rim swap in dealer system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rim swap in dealer system?

so i got my 19" inspyres for 07 tl-s a couple of weeks ago and i was lookin for a place that would mount the wheels and swap the tpm sensors. i talked to my dealership and they said they would do everything for $120. I knew this was pricey but i had heard from someone that the sensors were fragile and sometimes break when being taken off (which now i see isnt true). Anyway I took my car to the dealer with the new rims and tires ready to mount, agreed to the $120 for labor and left my car(the only reason i was gonna pay this much was because at the time i figured if they broke a sensor they would have to replace it).

so about an hour later i get a call from the service rep telling me that he didnt realize that they i still had my sensors on my stock wheels and that they would have to charge me another $120 to take apart my stock wheels to get the sensors out($240 total). I immediatley knew i wasnt going to pay that much for a mount and balance; what gets me even more mad is that he even pointed out on my stock wheel how they were going to take the sensors out before i left the car with them. I went back to the dealership and picked up my car, wheels and tires and then called an old buddy which reffered me to this shop that did the complete job for 50 bucks.

Well after all of this i was just wondering if the dealership would still have all of this in their system. I know how dealers love to blame everything on aftermarket add-ons and i just figured if i ever had a problem that i felt had somthing to do with the suspension i could just switch the wheels back to stock b4 taking it back to the dealer. i mean as far as they know the 19's never went on the car...right?. Do you guys think the dealer would have all this in their database even though they never did the work? do you think theyll give me a hard time if i ever go in with a problem even if i put the stock wheels back on b4 hand?

thanx in advance guys.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, dealerships are real anal about this sort of stuff.
I brought my brother's car in, a Toyota, and they refused to do any work unless I pay them.
We bought extended warranty for the car, and they still refused to do work on the car unless we paid, which is BS.
The engine light was on and we had warranty until 2008, how's this for a chuckle..
They had a recall on the Toyota -Models 2002-2003 Rav4- two months after I went in...
Turns out they F'd up the CPU in the car, and that is why the engine light was on.
It was their problem and they wouldn't even look at it under warranty.

To sum it up, dealerships are real jerks about these things, and there is nothing you can do if they don't do work on your car. It costs way to much to take them to court, especially if it's for a bill or two. Plus, they have a lot of lawyers.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hey TL1110 the tpms doesn;t break that easily. I have 2 sets of stock rims one for summer and one for winter. last summer i went to my dealer bought an extra set of tpms from them. i asked them to put them on the rim for me and they said it'll take them ONE HOUR to do that...... that would cost me 105 bux. obviously i didn't pay them to do that for me. i went home figured out how to put them on myself and it only only took me 2 mins to do EACH rim. and for the tires i went to the local tire shop and got them mounted for free cause i also bought tires their. b4 they mount ur tires just let them know about the tpms
Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
My dealer knows I reun aftermarket wheels with NO monitors in them and no problem he also knows I had Walmart swap the stock tires for winters in the stock rims with the monitors .. no problem .. BTW if you just let the shop know there is sensors theyre isn't an issue ..

They also know there is a cold air intake .. no problem ... and my mid muffler is gon .. no problem .. because they would have to prove the mod caused the failure.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i bought a spare set of TPMS, and had tire-rack.com mount them in before even shipping me the wheels.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Pro

my dealer did mine for 50bucks. just a hint: if you guys/gals get to know your service advisors almost every dealer has a guy who does there own thing onthe weekend. they have the tools, the knowledge and by working on weekends don't have the dealers overhead.

now you need to showus somepics!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 AM
2007 NBP TL

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
my dealer did mine for 50bucks. just a hint: if you guys/gals get to know your service advisors almost every dealer has a guy who does there own thing onthe weekend. they have the tools, the knowledge and by working on weekends don't have the dealers overhead.

now you need to showus somepics!
i thought about this same thing. i bught an extra set of sensors, and figured who better to do it than the dealer, but then i started thinking i havent taken my car there enough to know anyone. i have an excellent relationship with discount tire, as they have done all my wheel and tire work in the past.......mine go on tuesday.

TL1110...I know you have a TL-S, but we about to be twins (sorta)....what tires you go with. i'm running toyo proxes 4 235/35/19