AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   RICE or NICE? You be the judge (Blue LED mod pics) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/rice-nice-you-judge-blue-led-mod-pics-546776/)

frozenpenguin 03-25-2004 04:24 PM

RICE or NICE? You be the judge (Blue LED mod pics)

OK, so I finally got my blue LEDs in from superbrightleds.com and I put them in the domes and doors last night. 6 of the T13-B6 6 led bulbs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this thread: link

So when I look at my car now, half of me thinks, "Good Lord, this looks HAWT!!!" And then the other half thinks that I'm going to be embarrassed to get out of my car at the grocery store now ;)

So I need you guys to help me decide if this is just too much rice or if this is the best $20 mod ever. Here's some background info on me as this may influence the decision...
  • My TL is SSM/Quartz
  • I'm 31 years old, married and have a 13 month old son.
  • There is now a carseat in the back of my car being spotlighted by blue LED lights :D
  • I work in an office setting, carry a briefcase and typically park in a lot next to BMWs, Audis, etc.
  • HOWEVER, I'm not going to have these lights on all the time, it's just for getting in and out of the car.

Here's the pics:

http://www.frozenpenguin.com/tl_pics/pic1.jpg

http://www.frozenpenguin.com/tl_pics/pic2.jpg

Here's the carseat. My boy's gonna love it, I just know it!
http://www.frozenpenguin.com/tl_pics/pic3.jpg

http://www.frozenpenguin.com/tl_pics/pic4.jpg

http://www.frozenpenguin.com/tl_pics/pic5.jpg

So what's the verdict? Do I need some soy sauce to go with this rice or does this just look smokin?

jjtags 03-25-2004 04:32 PM

I actually like the blue glow... it's not common and isn't too over the top like a red or orange light... plus it matches the dash...

Maybe it's just me but I vote you keep it.

btw, I am 33, not married and no kids but I'm kinda like you... office parking lot, mixed in with regular cars and a few MBs, Beemers, Jags, Lexuses (in case this info helps you)

kinggeorge 03-25-2004 04:35 PM

I just had it done to my Anthracite/Ebony TL and it looks really sharp especially when the aluminum trim glows in blue because of the lights. It's cool because blue is subtle and it looks like it belongs because of all the blue accents in the car. Also it probably looks nice in Ebony or Quartz interior more than camel or parchment.

WickedWiz 03-25-2004 04:35 PM

Well, I did mine...I'm 41, 2 boys (7 and 11, and they just dig it!). I like the effect, and it works well with all the blue lighting Acura has installed in the car. I'm keeping mine. :)

Wicked.

Donte99TL 03-25-2004 04:41 PM

I wiwsh I knew how to do that becaue I would do it to my car.

VTEC=happiness 03-25-2004 04:44 PM

Is it odd that I think I'm the youngest so far and I'm thinking its way too ricey...:werd: I figured my set would do silly things like this, guess not....maybe you all are working to recapture your youth (J/K). By the way, the baby seat mod is another nice edition to the interior ;) .

jackabyte 03-25-2004 04:47 PM

I'd go with the door lights and get rid off the dome lights, otherwise to the naked eye it looks like you might be growing some plants in that car.:smokin:

04tlnbppar 03-25-2004 04:47 PM

looks a bit dark and not light up as well as the factory yellow light, but as long as you like it then keep it. btw, has anyone tried "red" on the door light?

rynpamn21 03-25-2004 04:47 PM

looks good in that kind of interior...i would probably be 50/50 in doing it if i had a dark interior..but since i have parchment i would just go for the superwhite lights :D..

eaRL 03-25-2004 04:49 PM

Re: RICE or NICE? You be the judge (Blue LED mod pics)

Originally posted by frozenpenguin
OK, so I finally got my blue LEDs in from superbrightleds.com and I put them in the domes and doors last night. 6 of the T13-B6 6 led bulbs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this thread: link

So when I look at my car now, half of me thinks, "Good Lord, this looks HAWT!!!" And then the other half thinks that I'm going to be embarrassed to get out of my car at the grocery store now ;)

So I need you guys to help me decide if this is just too much rice or if this is the best $20 mod ever. Here's some background info on me as this may influence the decision...
  • My TL is SSM/Quartz
  • I'm 31 years old, married and have a 13 month old son.
  • There is now a carseat in the back of my car being spotlighted by blue LED lights :D
  • I work in an office setting, carry a briefcase and typically park in a lot next to BMWs, Audis, etc.
  • HOWEVER, I'm not going to have these lights on all the time, it's just for getting in and out of the car.

Here's the pics:

Pics removed

So what's the verdict? Do I need some soy sauce to go with this rice or does this just look smokin?

The LEDs in the doors I would definitely think about keeping but I don't know about the dome light. Looks cool though. I don't go for any of this type of stuff but if you like it that's all that counts. Pretty dramatic effect for 20 bones. Did you put them in the map lights as well? I don't know if I would go that far.

As far as what people might think about you at the grocery store; I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'm 31 and I do not give a D@MN what people at the grocery store think about me or anywhere else for that matter. It's your car, your life. Do what you want to do.

Teh Jatt 03-25-2004 04:49 PM

can u tell me what bulbs I need from that site?

shodog 03-25-2004 04:49 PM

It does look cool but is there enough light to be able to find your babies pacifier on floor at night time?

One thing I absolutley hated about our eclipse was that the interior lighting sucked. the only lights in the car came from under the rear veiw mirror. I always had to keep a flashlight behind the drivers seat.

Aspector Gadget 03-25-2004 04:55 PM

Originally posted by shodog
It does look cool but is there enough light to be able to find your babies pacifier on floor at night time?
Like shodog said, It does look good, but what about practicality? Are you going to get a headache trying to read or find something?

frozenpenguin 03-25-2004 04:58 PM

Bulbs are T13-B6.

I think the pictures are a little darker than the lights really are. When I sit in the car, I have plenty of blue light to see, read, find pacifiers (as long as they aren't blue), etc. ;)

The vanity lights are still the stock white.

VTEC=happiness: You may be right about trying to recapture my youth! LOL!!

Teh Jatt 03-25-2004 05:03 PM

T13-B6 are for the doors... what about the dome? same ones?

frozenpenguin 03-25-2004 05:06 PM

Originally posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
T13-B6 are for the doors... what about the dome? same ones?
Yeah, they're all the same bulbs. Doors and front/back domes.

Teh Jatt 03-25-2004 05:07 PM

thanx......... now stick with you mod cuz thats my next mod :)

WickedWiz 03-25-2004 05:10 PM

oh, and I did the mod a little different. I went with the 6LEDs in the front domes, and the 4 LEDs in the doors and back domes. I wanted as much light up front for reading.

Wicked.

Skeedatl 03-25-2004 05:16 PM

Since you axed...IMHO

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0uz5w/thatsrice.jpg

They're a bit too bright IMO...too bad there isn't a reostat like the dash has so you can adjust their brightness. For interior lighting mods...a doorssil mod (lighted from under aluminum Acura logo like the MBZs have) or along those lines are more my speed.

But to each his own. Dig the blue...keep the blue.

04tlnbppar 03-25-2004 05:16 PM

looks a bit dark and not light up as well as the factory yellow light, but as long as you like it then keep it. btw, has anyone tried "red" on the door light?

Swat Dude 03-25-2004 05:24 PM

I am 37, married with one child, and I think the door lights are the shiznit. I'm not sure on the front domes. I think I still want the white light for reading in the front, but the blue's in the rear might be kind of cool because it bugs the heck out of me when my daughter turns on the light at night when I'm driving. I can't see a dang thing out the back.

Euliscool 03-25-2004 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Swat Dude
I am 37, married with one child, and I think the door lights are the shiznit. I'm not sure on the front domes. I think I still want the white light for reading in the front, but the blue's in the rear might be kind of cool because it bugs the heck out of me when my daughter turns on the light at night when I'm driving. I can't see a dang thing out the back.

im 23 and Asian... so i've lived all my life smelling and hearing rice rockets go by my house and apartment. I think after owning a Prelude Rice Rocket i think i'm done with the whole phase... its a pain the ass to drive a lowered car and the TL is perfect the way it is other than maybe a DVD/TV tuner and some bigger rims. You can't read shit in those blue lights. If you can get Xenon lights for your overhead lights, than thats a different story LOL

hahah and the 37 year old that said "shiznit".... hahaha i just cracked up real loud in my office when i read that.

kinggeorge 03-25-2004 06:28 PM

the bulbs are the "T13-B6" bulbs and you'll need six of them. 2 for the front dome, 2 for the back dome, and 1 for each door. I think they're a great mod and they're bright enough for actual use.

¿GotJazz? 03-25-2004 06:45 PM

Thanks for the pics! Now I KNOW I don't want to do the domes in blue! :)

Actually, it looks OK, but the main reason for dome lights is to be able to see (or read) something clearly and quickly in the dark. Blue lighting is not very good for that purpose - there's not as much contrast, and there will be color artifacts.

I'll keep white (or something close). My blue door marker lights and white LED domes will probably be arriving in the next day or two ...

BTW, where does the phrase "Ricer" come from, and why does it have an apparent negative connotation?

Skeedatl 03-25-2004 06:55 PM

What is a ricer?

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/you_m..._ricer_if.html

soljc 03-25-2004 07:35 PM

Originally posted by frozenpenguin
Bulbs are T13-B6.

I think the pictures are a little darker than the lights really are. When I sit in the car, I have plenty of blue light to see, read, find pacifiers (as long as they aren't blue), etc. ;)

The vanity lights are still the stock white.

I'm waiting for my bulbs to arrive for the doors, but I may now do the domes......looks good, but you don't think the blue compromises interior visibility at night? I'm just thinking of times I use the domes, and it's generally to find/read something. With those lights, can you read the back of a cd jewel case without any problems?

copter 03-25-2004 07:44 PM

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?
Thanks for the pics! Now I KNOW I don't want to do the domes in blue! :)

Actually, it looks OK, but the main reason for dome lights is to be able to see (or read) something clearly and quickly in the dark. Blue lighting is not very good for that purpose - there's not as much contrast, and there will be color artifacts.

I'll keep white (or something close). My blue door marker lights and white LED domes will probably be arriving in the next day or two ...

BTW, where does the phrase "Ricer" come from, and why does it have an apparent negative connotation?

I just got my all white T-13-W6's. I put them in them front and rear domes, and in the doors. I only wish I would have ordered 3 more for the trunk and license plate lights....

BLUE=RICE; sorry guys just my .02

soljc 03-25-2004 07:47 PM

Originally posted by copter
I just got my all white T-13-W6's. I put them in them front and rear domes, and in the doors. I only wish I would have ordered 3 more for the trunk and license plate lights....

BLUE=RICE; sorry guys just my .02

Any chance you could post some pics? I'd be interested to see white LEDs.

copter 03-25-2004 07:54 PM

Originally posted by soljc
Any chance you could post some pics? I'd be interested to see white LEDs.
Ya' I could do that, I just need a place to post them..

HINT, HINT..

soljc 03-25-2004 07:57 PM

Originally posted by copter
Ya' I could do that, I just need a place to post them..

HINT, HINT..

I would if I could.......someone must be able to help. Anyone??

Norse396 03-25-2004 08:15 PM

If you've ever contemplated adding "TYPE-R" stickers to your Sonata…

mischa 03-25-2004 08:17 PM

imo keep the doors, lose the overheads.

Aegir 03-25-2004 09:06 PM

Mixed response here. I think it's rice. My wife thinks it's cool. My 2 year old wants one for his car seat!

Do they flash with the beat of the music? Just kidding! :flash:

¿GotJazz? 03-25-2004 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Skeedatl
What is a ricer?

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/you_m..._ricer_if.html

OK, but that didn't really answer my intended question, so I'll restate it ... Does anyone know the origin of the phrase "ricer"?

Vffr1 03-25-2004 09:40 PM

Wvery, Wvery Wnice

I believe it's becuase Japanese eat rice, so 'ricer" is a racist term.

Jessedog 03-25-2004 09:43 PM

Pics of White LED's

I put the White 6 LED bulbs in front and the Blue 6's in the back. I couldn't decide if I liked the blue all around so I'll go with this for a while until I decide. The white's are nice because you get the true color of the interior even in total darkness. These pics were taken in my garage without any light or flash. My wife thinks I'm nuts with my tripod and camera in the dark but... what does she know anyway. BTW...37 years old / 2 kids - first new car since 1988 and loving it....

http://www.pbase.com/image/27292550.jpg

https://www.pbase.com/image/27292545.jpg

gordon_gekko 03-25-2004 09:45 PM

I think that's a pretty good mod for 20 bucks. Goes well with the factory blue lighting already in the car. I say keep it as long you can read okay in the dark. I think I'll order some for myself now:)

gordon_gekko 03-25-2004 09:47 PM

ooooh! I just saw the whites there too. I like em! decisions, decisions...

Vffr1 03-25-2004 09:47 PM

Re: Wvery, Wvery Wnice

Originally posted by Vffr1
I believe it's becuase Japanese eat rice, so 'ricer" could be seen as a racist term.

DISRUPTV 03-25-2004 09:48 PM

it isnt rice b/e it seems 2 match the dash and instrument panel...but i think hyper white would have been a better choice :)

looks great still iMO