Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RI, MASS, CT Locksmith for Switchblade Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RI, MASS, CT Locksmith for Switchblade Key

I have had these keys for about 3 months now and haven't really looked for a locksmith. Has anyone actually had this done, if so where and how much?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't feel so bad now.....LOL

...... first attempt at the dealer was a bust. But I have been looking in the yellow pages and there are 3 shops/locksmiths I plan on calling this week. The YP ads focus on the new automobile key programming needs - like they specialize in auto keys/fobs/programming the immobilizer.

I have Friday off so I plan on trying to get this done finally.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
08 type-s

Originally Posted by ding069
I have had these keys for about 3 months now and haven't really looked for a locksmith. Has anyone actually had this done, if so where and how much?
i got mine done at acura of avon, in avon ct. my boys hooked me up....works perfect.... u just have to pay the programming fee, they will cut the key for you.. phone # 860-693-6981 ask for robbie in parts tell him tony sent you...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

That's probably a 2-3 hour drive from RI
Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
08 type-s

Originally Posted by SteveP66
That's probably a 2-3 hour drive from RI
yea but ding069 posted RI CT MA so i thought i would help him out... and maybe a 2-3 hr ride might be worth it to get it done right...
Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard that Herb Conolly in Framingham, MA cuts and programs the key free of charge. Anyone want to confirm this though?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by dragncivic
yea but ding069 posted RI CT MA so i thought i would help him out... and maybe a 2-3 hr ride might be worth it to get it done right...

Oh I hear ya - no negativity intended.......I'm looking a little more local. Ding and I are somewhat close to one another location wise
Old 04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by dragncivic
yep, thats like a 1.45 hour drive......
framingham is about an hour, that would be more convenient.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Ding - I got a couple places to call tomorrow starting with "The Lock Guy".....lol.

His ad says "all high tech automotive keys replaced or duplicated"......Cranston - Johnston - Warwick.

Free estimates too
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 PM
08 type-s

Oh I hear ya - no negativity intended.......I'm looking a little more local. Ding and I are somewhat close to one another location wise
none taken...lol.... just tryin to help out..... gl with ur search...
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Ding - I got a couple places to call tomorrow starting with "The Lock Guy".....lol.

His ad says "all high tech automotive keys replaced or duplicated"......Cranston - Johnston - Warwick.

Free estimates too
let me know know it goes. make sure to tell him that you will be sending more customers to him and he may give you a good price.

thanks steve!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

let me know know it goes. make sure to tell him that you will be sending more customers to him and he may give you a good price.

thanks steve!
I should know today - he is suppose to stop by my work take a look, cut & program both switchblades.

He was a little stumped by the fact that the 06 had a switchblade.....lol - and it wasn't a laser cut.

Quoted $120.00 for both cut & program. I can live with the price because I don't feel like shopping/running around looking for alternatives. Quite frankly I was prepared to spend about $100.00 anyay so it's ok with me.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 AM
acura-cl.com OG

good im excited now. plus it is convenient that he comes to you. do you need to have all the keys/fobs with you when he programs for the immobilizer chips?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

good im excited now. plus it is convenient that he comes to you. do you need to have all the keys/fobs with you when he programs for the immobilizer chips?

Don't get too excited - he just left.

I showed him the cutting directions from FLBusa and he replied with .... "oh, I don't need that".......I pointed out to cut from the back and he didn't even seem to be concerned with the instructions.

I wasn't getting that warm fuzzy confident feeling.........he took one look at the switchblade and said "hummm, this might take a while"

I asked why....."because your going from this (original fob) to this (new fob) and I have to get all these buttoms mapped over so they work....."

Now, I know how to program the buttons (lock/unlock) it has nothing to do with cutting the key or the chip in the key.

I told him I had to leave in about 30 mins so I would call him back when I had more time to wait.

I wasn't taking the chance............ I'll keep looking. I have tomorrow off so maybe I can find another place then.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:08 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Don't get too excited - he just left.

I showed him the cutting directions from FLBusa and he replied with .... "oh, I don't need that".......I pointed out to cut from the back and he didn't even seem to be concerned with the instructions.

I wasn't getting that warm fuzzy confident feeling.........he took one look at the switchblade and said "hummm, this might take a while"

I asked why....."because your going from this (original fob) to this (new fob) and I have to get all these buttoms mapped over so they work....."

Now, I know how to program the buttons (lock/unlock) it has nothing to do with cutting the key or the chip in the key.

I told him I had to leave in about 30 mins so I would call him back when I had more time to wait.

I wasn't taking the chance............ I'll keep looking. I have tomorrow off so maybe I can find another place then.
thanks for doing the leg work.......
i looked in the wellow pages and there are a few that specialize in "hi-tech keys" so there should be other capable locksmiths.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yes there shoudl be - In going out tomorrow to find one....lol I'll let you know for sure Will
Old 04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL looking to switch to key fob

Hello all,
If I am correct, can I change my 2004 keys and annoying remote to the new key fob. If so, can someone provide me step by step in order to complete this swap.

Do I have to purchase the new fob and reprogram the fob and cut a new key?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
08 type-s

Originally Posted by NickD
Hello all,
If I am correct, can I change my 2004 keys and annoying remote to the new key fob. If so, can someone provide me step by step in order to complete this swap.

Do I have to purchase the new fob and reprogram the fob and cut a new key?

Thanks,
Nick
here u go nickd
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/update-switchblade-keys-360939/
Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Will - got them cut today at City Lock over on Elmwood Avenue - get this $2.00

Then went to the dealer to have them programmed $95.00. The new keys fit like a glove and work perfectly.

My only issue which I think it easy to solve is that the dealer de-programmed the chips in my old original keys!! I'm not sure how or why but now the old ones won't start the car.

This should be an easy fix - I have a call back into them to see what they can do.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Will - got them cut today at City Lock over on Elmwood Avenue - get this $2.00

Then went to the dealer to have them programmed $95.00. The new keys fit like a glove and work perfectly.

My only issue which I think it easy to solve is that the dealer de-programmed the chips in my old original keys!! I'm not sure how or why but now the old ones won't start the car.

This should be an easy fix - I have a call back into them to see what they can do.
haha, old city lock. looks like i will be doing the same. what dealership did you bring it to to program the immobilizer?

in one of my previous posts i asked if you needed to bring all your fobs and keys to have them all matched to the immobilzer, that must be why only your new keys are working.

well, thanks for the info.....i will be getting mine done 2 weeks from now.....i am leaving for punta cana sunday!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
anyone from the dallas area know somebody that does this?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

haha, old city lock. looks like i will be doing the same. what dealership did you bring it to to program the immobilizer?

in one of my previous posts i asked if you needed to bring all your fobs and keys to have them all matched to the immobilzer, that must be why only your new keys are working.

well, thanks for the info.....i will be getting mine done 2 weeks from now.....i am leaving for punta cana sunday!

I'm back - took another trip back to the dealer. (First Acura)

I saw your question earlier about the keys/fobs - I didn't know the answer until now.

YES you need to bring ALL of your keys and fobs with you when you program the chip. I had them all with me but my problem is that I have one key (the valet) inside the car someplace for the auto start feature and when they programmed the new keys they knocked out all the others.

I went up to First Acura only because my auto start was installed there and if something went screwy (which it always does with me) they would be able to correct it. (They have a local shop they hire to install the auto start and they cover it under the Acura warrenty because it was purchased through the dealer.)

When they programmed my new keys they forgot I still wanted the OEM keys to work and they didn't know I had the auto start.

As of right now all 4 keys work with the exception of the valet (buried in the car) - my two new fobs work and only one of the old fobs.

I have an appointment next week to have the valet key removed - coded and put back so that the auto start feature works.

Now for the fobs/keys........ bring them all but in the end you can only have 3 fobs working at one time. I didn't care much about making the old fobs work as long as the keys worked I was fine. I don't think there is a limit to the number of keys you can have paired with the immobilizer but the fob limit is indeed 3.

If you decide to go to First Acura see Rebecca (Becky) - she is great. Se was so helpful and determined to get my keys/fobs working they way they should. She mentioned that she had a few customers in there looking and programming the new keys. She pretty hot too :-)

Have a good time in Punta Cana !!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 AM
acura-cl.com OG

I'm back - took another trip back to the dealer. (First Acura)

I saw your question earlier about the keys/fobs - I didn't know the answer until now.

YES you need to bring ALL of your keys and fobs with you when you program the chip. I had them all with me but my problem is that I have one key (the valet) inside the car someplace for the auto start feature and when they programmed the new keys they knocked out all the others.

I went up to First Acura only because my auto start was installed there and if something went screwy (which it always does with me) they would be able to correct it. (They have a local shop they hire to install the auto start and they cover it under the Acura warrenty because it was purchased through the dealer.)

When they programmed my new keys they forgot I still wanted the OEM keys to work and they didn't know I had the auto start.

As of right now all 4 keys work with the exception of the valet (buried in the car) - my two new fobs work and only one of the old fobs.

I have an appointment next week to have the valet key removed - coded and put back so that the auto start feature works.

Now for the fobs/keys........ bring them all but in the end you can only have 3 fobs working at one time. I didn't care much about making the old fobs work as long as the keys worked I was fine. I don't think there is a limit to the number of keys you can have paired with the immobilizer but the fob limit is indeed 3.

If you decide to go to First Acura see Rebecca (Becky) - she is great. Se was so helpful and determined to get my keys/fobs working they way they should. She mentioned that she had a few customers in there looking and programming the new keys. She pretty hot too :-)

Have a good time in Punta Cana !!!!
yeah becky is a hottie, and she always give compliments on my car when i see her. haha. when i get back i will visit city lock and first acura.

thanks again steve!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

No problem Will......... catch you when you get back buddy.

I wanna see your TL one of these days !!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Instructor

What a coincidence.
I just got back from punta cana on the 29th and also looking at to get my 07 keys.