Sponsored by:

Resetting a code without knowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Resetting a code without knowing

Hi,

When i first for my TL, a yea ago, when it was time for my oil change, a service due code appeared like it should, i remember looking up how to reset code assuming that it was just the oil change, but now that i read more about it, it could also have a number with it meaning that there was something else to check on the car.

What i am wondering if after resetting a service code, will it come back if it was not done on the car, such as timing belt/water pumper, spark plugs and what ever other maintenance due ? Or is it something that is scheduled by the miles im adding to the car ?

Thank you
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
It's something that's scheduled based on your mileage and driving. If you didn't do the service and reset the maintenance light, the computer system will assume that you did the service already and the next maintenance light will be for something else.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
something i've always wondered. if you reset the service time multiple times in a row(either by accident or purpose) would it show services that dont have to be done yet? for example if you reset your service light like 10x in a row at 50k miles, would it skip ahead to the timing belt service?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
what part of vietxquangstah's response did you not understand? since the computer is monitoring lots of factors before throwing a service code then "if you reset the service time multiple times in a row" will not do anything. the computer can't 'predict' the future (although it would be a nice trick if it could...lottery anyone?)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Is there anyway to look up the service messages that have popped up? Does the computer keep an history of these codes? Thing is, when i've bought the car, i had an oil change do at like about a little bit more than 1k later and i dont remember what the subcode was when it popped on the mid, got the car at 105k flush and i dont know if the previous owner has done the timing belt since i,ve bought thr car from a friend who got it from an auction, it was accidented. That being said, i wonder if i should just getting it done ... I actually have a message right now on my mid for oil change and subcode is 5, witch is change coolant engine fluid, does anyone know if it comes after or before timing belt?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by just1nsama
... I actually have a message right now on my mid for oil change and subcode is 5, witch is change coolant engine fluid, does anyone know if it comes after or before timing belt?
That's after the timing belt, which is a "4" service.
The timing belt service code probably already arose.

You should change the brake fluid every 3 years, and auto trans fluid is to be changed w/ service "3."
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 AM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Well i guess i will just go ahead and change it like i had scheduled it this spring once i hit 200k KM since in canada it is recommended to change timing belt every 100k KM, pretty mucheveryone does that and probably the previous owner did and didnt bother following the MID, i know there is not really a way to check out timing belt, but till than, it should hold as it looks brand new without tears or oil.

I guess you can only follow what the MID says if you are the 1st owner (apart from the oil changes), knowing what wasnt done on the car, i'll just go and do the maintenance i usually do on my car depending on the KM added to it.

Thanks for the inputs y'all
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Some Hondas and Acura's allow you to reset whatever service was completed. With these car's once the service indicator reset it's lost from memory. You will have an A Or B serviced followed by 1-6 (6 wouldn't apply to the TL) You can have any sort of combinations :

Your service code will either feature an A or a B. The code could be A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6 or B1, B2, B3, B4, B4, B6. Below, codes A and B are explained in detail followed by each coded sequence.

Service code A includes:

· Replace engine oil with SAE 5W-20 Oil (price will vary with other oils).

· Replace engine oil filter with Acura OEM Filter.

· Reset Engine Oil Life Indicator.

Example of a service A code combination:

A1: You would have your engine oil and engine oil filter replaced and the Engine Oil Life Indicator reset (A). You will also have all four tires rotated and the condition and inflation of the tires will be checked (1).

Service code B includes:

· Replace engine oil with SAE 5W-20 (price will vary with oils).

· Replace engine oil filter with Acura OEM Filter.

· Check level and condition of transaxle, coolant, brake, wiper, differential, power steering, and clutch fluid levels.

· Perform Front Brake Inspection: check pads and discs for wear (thickness), damage and cracks; check calipers for damage, leaks, and tightness of mounting bolts.

· Perform Rear Brake Inspection: check pads and discs for wear (thickness), damage and cracks; check calipers for damage, leaks and tightness of mounting bolts; check brake lining for cracking, glazing, wear and contamination; check wheel cylinders for leaks.

· Rotate four tires: check tire inflation and condition.

· Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox and rack boots for damage and leakage.

· Inspect tie rod end ball joints: check for faulty movement and damage.

· Test tightness of tie rod locknuts.

· Inspect tie rod ball joints for damage and deterioration.

· Inspect dust seal for damage and deterioration.

· Test tightness of steering gearbox mounting bolts.

· Inspect steering gearbox mounting cushions for deterioration.

· Check steering joints for loose bolts.

· Inspect steering column: check for loose column mounting bolts and nuts.

· Inspect steering boots for damage and deterioration.

· Inspect steering hoses for damage, leaks interfacing, and twisting.

· Inspect steering lines for damage, rusting, and leakage.

· Inspect suspension components: check bolts for tightness and condition of ball joint boots for deterioration and damage.

· Inspect inboard and outboard driveshaft boots for cracks, damage, and leaking or loose bands.

· Check splines and joints for looseness.

· Perform body lubrication of all required hinges, latches, lock cylinders, and mechanisms.

· Inspect brake hoses and lines for damage, leaks, rusting, interference, wear and twisting.

· Check master cylinder, proportioning control valve and ABS modulator for damage and leakage.

· Test parking brake adjustment (maximum 6-9 clicks on TL or 5-6 clicks on RL)

· Inspect exhaust system: check heat shield, exhaust pipe and muffler for damage, leaks, and tightness.

· Inspect fuel system lines and hoses for loose connections, cracks, and deterioration.

· Check all interior and exterior lights and controls for operation.

· Inspect washer spray and wiper operation :clean all wiper blades.

· Reset engine oil life indicator.

The following items are paired with either service code A or B:
Required Maintenance 1, A1 only:
For all models, A1 includes all features of an and includes rotation of tires and checking tire inflation and condition.

Required Maintenance 2, A1 or B2:
For all models, in addition to service code A or B:
· Replace air filter element with Acura OEM.
· Replace dust and pollen filter with Acura OEM.
· Adjust drive belts, inspect for damage and wear.

Required Maintenance 3, A3 or B3:
TL and TSX: Replace transmission fluid.
RL, RDX, and MDX: Replace transmission fluid and replace transfer case fluid.

Required Maintenance 4, A4 or B4:
RL, TL, and MDX:
· Replace platinum spark plugs with Acura OEM.
· Replace timing belt with Acura OEM.
· Inspect water pump.
· Inspect and Adjust valve clearance.

TSX:
· Inspect and adjust valve clearance.

RDX:
· Inspect and adjust valve clearance.

Required Maintenance 5, A5 or B5:
All models: Replace engine coolant.

Required Maintenance 6, A6 or B6:
RL and RDX: Replace ATF-Z1 rear differential fluid.

MDX: Replace rear differential fluid.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Yeah found the same info on a website site before, thats where i was referring the subcode i was getting.

Too bad we cant go back and look at what was reset and at what mile/km, that would still not tell us if the maintenance was actually done tho.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ill break it down.

1 = rotate, so roughly every other oil change or even every oil change you may see a 1 paired with a letter

2 = filters. Usually comes on anywhere between 12-18K

3 = Transmission service. Usually comes on roughly 24-31K

4 = T-belt, spark plugs & possible valve adjustment. Usually around 70-105K, also based on time frame.

5 = coolant service, usually again 70-105K, also based on time frame.

6 = differential service ( MDX, RDX, 4th Gen TL, 2nd Gen + RL) Anywhere between 9-15K.

Based on your mileage you can have a rough idea of what was needed.
just1nsama (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Ill break it down.

1 = rotate, so roughly every other oil change or even every oil change you may see a 1 paired with a letter

2 = filters. Usually comes on anywhere between 12-18K

3 = Transmission service. Usually comes on roughly 24-31K

4 = T-belt, spark plugs & possible valve adjustment. Usually around 70-105K, also based on time frame.

5 = coolant service, usually again 70-105K, also based on time frame.

6 = differential service ( MDX, RDX, 4th Gen TL, 2nd Gen + RL) Anywhere between 9-15K.

Based on your mileage you can have a rough idea of what was needed.
Thanks that really helps, judging from what you said, i will definitely do Timing belt + water pump and differential service this spring, i will also check the spark plugs, for the price, i guess i'll do them. Should be golden after that
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

your going to do your differential service on your 3g? lol let us know how your fluid looks
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
your going to do your differential service on your 3g? lol let us know how your fluid looks
What you think its too soon ? bought the car at 105k, now at 123k and i dont even know what the previous owner did for maintenance on the car. Differential service isnt really expensive, i know a mecano that charges me like 40$ an hours cash, he does everything on my car, actually might do it myself, read the DIY in the 3G garage, doesnt look that hard.

If you think its overkill to do it, you might be right and i'd like to know, i just want whats best for my car.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

It's not that it's too soon, it's just that the 3G TL doesn't have a separate differential that needs servicing compared to the SH-AWD Honda products

Just do a transmission drain and fill a couple times and you'll be golden.

Your TL is a front wheel drive, just incase you didn't know already
just1nsama (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

It's not that it's too soon, it's just that the 3G TL doesn't have a separate differential that needs servicing compared to the SH-AWD Honda products

"6 = differential service ( MDX, RDX, 4th Gen TL, 2nd Gen + RL) Anywhere between 9-15K."

hmmm nevermind, i misread, didnt see that the code 6 was for MDX, RDX, 4th Gen TL, 2nd Gen + RL and NOT 3G, just assumed it was something to do since there is a DIY in the 3G garage about it ... and yes obviously i knew my TL was FWD
Old 12-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for the info! I was wondering the same if the 3G TL had a differential because my 1G TL has one.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 AM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

hmmm, cant find the DIY i was talking about, guess i was looking in the wrong one since i googled it, i feel like a darn idiot ... oh well live and learn as they say !
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by just1nsama
hmmm, cant find the DIY i was talking about, guess i was looking in the wrong one since i googled it, i feel like a darn idiot ... oh well live and learn as they say !
You might have been wandering in the 1G TL section.