Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Requesting my CPO service records & 30K service

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requesting my CPO service records & 30K service

I purchased a 2007 TLS certified Pre-owned back on 5/12/2010 and took delivery on 5/15/2010. Purchase was at Montgomeryville, PA Acura Dealer (3.5 hour drive for me).

I have emailed my salesman to ask how I could obtain all the vehicles prior service records as according to the carfax history report all service was done at their dealership. I did not receive a response.

I am thinking about this again as I am now over 30K miles (bought at 29.9) and have read posts on here about the 30K service of tire rotation, 3x3 ATF, interior cabin filter change, etc. According to Acura's 150 Point inspection checklist #19 states "Scheduled Maintenance - Nearest scheduled maintenance must be performed if within 3 months or 2500 miles of service interval or if no record of service exists". This means that all of these services should have been performed on the vehicle before I picked it up? Right?

I also did not receive a valet key which is a criteria for #18 "Minimum two master keys, one valet key and two remotes"

Question: What is the best way to go about getting the valet key, and prior service records. Do they have to give me these items now that I already took delivery? Has anyone had similar experiences in getting a hold of prior records, or not?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the VIN to the service department and have them run it for you. The dealers aren't connected, so they will only be able to show you the service that was done at that dealership.

I would ask for the key, they sold it as a CPO, so they owe you the key. If they give you crap about it, contact Acura Corporate.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Rice and Crackers...

[quote=BradE;12052679]Take the VIN to the service department and have them run it for you. The dealers aren't connected, so they will only be able to show you the service that was done at that dealership.]

Take the VIN to the service department where I purchased the vehicle? I bought the car in PA, which is 3.5 hours away! I was hoping I could ge them to send me a copy of the service records? If they didn't do the 30K service, Im assuming I'll have to make a trip to PA to get it done
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I would think a certified TL would have to have the valet key and the dealer who sold you the car will have to cough it or a replacement up for you free of charge. I'd call your salesman and press the issue.

Did you get the maintenance log book (I forget exactly what it's called) that comes in the leather binder? I believe all of the maintenance done by an Acura dealer should have been logged there by the Acura tech/service dept who did the maintenance. If not done at an Acura dealer, then it would fall upon the previous owner to have made the entries himself. Check your leather binder for this log.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I would think a certified TL would have to have the valet key and the dealer who sold you the car will have to cough it or a replacement up for you free of charge. I'd call your salesman and press the issue.

Did you get the maintenance log book (I forget exactly what it's called) that comes in the leather binder? I believe all of the maintenance done by an Acura dealer should have been logged there by the Acura tech/service dept who did the maintenance. If not done at an Acura dealer, then it would fall upon the previous owner to have made the entries himself. Check your leather binder for this log.
I did get a service log book, and am pretty sure it was blank. I'll double check it when I get home. The car is CPO , was bought at the same dealer, serviced at the same dealer, and sold at the same dealer so they should have maintained the log. We will see!

I'll let you guys know what I discover.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rnc_forever
I purchased a 2007 TLS certified Pre-owned back on 5/12/2010 and took delivery on 5/15/2010. Purchase was at Montgomeryville, PA Acura Dealer (3.5 hour drive for me).

I have emailed my salesman to ask how I could obtain all the vehicles prior service records as according to the carfax history report all service was done at their dealership. I did not receive a response.

I am thinking about this again as I am now over 30K miles (bought at 29.9) and have read posts on here about the 30K service of tire rotation, 3x3 ATF, interior cabin filter change, etc. According to Acura's 150 Point inspection checklist #19 states "Scheduled Maintenance - Nearest scheduled maintenance must be performed if within 3 months or 2500 miles of service interval or if no record of service exists". This means that all of these services should have been performed on the vehicle before I picked it up? Right?

I also did not receive a valet key which is a criteria for #18 "Minimum two master keys, one valet key and two remotes"

Question: What is the best way to go about getting the valet key, and prior service records. Do they have to give me these items now that I already took delivery? Has anyone had similar experiences in getting a hold of prior records, or not?

Thanks!
Best suggestion I can give. Make the 3.5 hour trip and confront the sales person directly. Tell them you want the valte key that you didn't get. And most importantly, You don't need all the service records, but get the record from the certification process. That service department WILL have that record in their computer system. I used to work in the service department at an Acura dealership. Your better off getting that from them then you are trying to get that info from your sales person. One other suggestion. Go over that car with a fine tooth comb before you even do anything. Reason why. I baught my 04 TL certified with 35,000 miles, and it had cheapy BF Goodrich H rated tires on it. And that goes against the certification process as well.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Originally Posted by Dave_W
Best suggestion I can give. Make the 3.5 hour trip and confront the sales person directly. Tell them you want the valte key that you didn't get. And most importantly, You don't need all the service records, but get the record from the certification process. That service department WILL have that record in their computer system. I used to work in the service department at an Acura dealership. Your better off getting that from them then you are trying to get that info from your sales person. One other suggestion. Go over that car with a fine tooth comb before you even do anything. Reason why. I baught my 04 TL certified with 35,000 miles, and it had cheapy BF Goodrich H rated tires on it. And that goes against the certification process as well.
I just printed the 150 point inspection list and plan to go over it this weekend. Problem is I don't know how to measure the brake life, etc. I did notice when washing the car last weekend that the Coolant level was at or below 'min' and not in between 'min' and 'max' but not sure its worth a 3.5 hour drive to have coolant added. To have the coolant swapped it might be though right?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Racer

I just printed the 150 point inspection list and plan to go over it this weekend. Problem is I don't know how to measure the brake life, etc. I did notice when washing the car last weekend that the Coolant level was at or below 'min' and not in between 'min' and 'max' but not sure its worth a 3.5 hour drive to have coolant added. To have the coolant swapped it might be though right?
The coolant flush is one of the more affordable services. Its also an easy service to do as well. If your collant looks clean, you can always add a little to the overflow tank. Just make sure the car is cold first before checking the overflow tank level. And check the radiator level before you even check the overflow tank. As far as brakes, I'd ckeck them myself if I were you. If they look low then its time to change them. The Type S cars have brembos up front and they tend to wear out quickly, so they may have been changed already. Brake thickness is also part of the certification process. If you can't make the drive to the dealer, call them and ask to speak to the service manager. Tell the service manager that you want to know what was done to that car during the certification process. They can tell you, because that get itemized in their computer system. They should be able to tell you exactly what was done to that car during the certification process.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Rice and Crackers...

I just checked the service manual that came with the car and it is blank. There are no service records documented in the thing...

So now I officially have to reach out to the service manager and get him to send me the records. Can they send me paper copies, or a print out?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Racer

I just checked the service manual that came with the car and it is blank. There are no service records documented in the thing...

So now I officially have to reach out to the service manager and get him to send me the records. Can they send me paper copies, or a print out?
They should be able to send you a printout of the records, at least any records they have and what they did in the certification.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Well I have received some response regarding the service records and trying to determine if the 30K service was done. I have been told by the service manager that #1 - he cant give me copies of any records (but can answer any questions about the history), and #2 that there is no such thing as a 30K service for this vehicle. See below email chain and let me know what you guys think.

My understanding from the CPO checklist is that in that the vehicle was at 29K miles before sale, the 30K service (listed in their service manuals lol) should have been done, which includes a transmission flush. According to service manager, this wasn't done.

The email back and forth...

Matt,

I received your request for service history today, but I am unable to fulfill it based on the Privacy Laws. There is personal information on some of the service history that must be safe-guarded. I’d be happy to tell you when the last service was completed or what typed of service, but I cannot send the actual work orders.

Sincerely, [Service Guy]

ME

Thanks for the response. I am trying to determine what all was completed on the vehicle during last service. I purchased the car CPO at 29.9K miles and am wondering if the 30K scheduled service was completed?

In case you don't have original email, VIN: ...5187

Thanks.

Matt

HIS RESPONSE

Mr Hudson,

There is no such thing as a 30k Service for your vehicle. The Maintenance Indicator Light System will come on to advise what service is due for you vehicle.

Prior to purchasing your vehicle, the following services were performed:
5-4-2010 29,967 Miles
Oil and Filter Change
Air and Pollen Filter
Wiper Inserts
Battery
Flush Brake System
Resurface Rear Rotors

Sincerely, [Service Guy]
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Well I have received some response regarding the service records and trying to determine if the 30K service was done. I have been told by the service manager that #1 - he cant give me copies of any records (but can answer any questions about the history), and #2 that there is no such thing as a 30K service for this vehicle. See below email chain and let me know what you guys think.

My understanding from the CPO checklist is that in that the vehicle was at 29K miles before sale, the 30K service (listed in their service manuals lol) should have been done, which includes a transmission flush. According to service manager, this wasn't done.

The email back and forth...

Matt,

I received your request for service history today, but I am unable to fulfill it based on the Privacy Laws. There is personal information on some of the service history that must be safe-guarded. I’d be happy to tell you when the last service was completed or what typed of service, but I cannot send the actual work orders.

Sincerely, [Service Guy]

ME

Thanks for the response. I am trying to determine what all was completed on the vehicle during last service. I purchased the car CPO at 29.9K miles and am wondering if the 30K scheduled service was completed?

In case you don't have original email, VIN: ...5187

Thanks.

Matt

HIS RESPONSE

Mr Hudson,

There is no such thing as a 30k Service for your vehicle. The Maintenance Indicator Light System will come on to advise what service is due for you vehicle.

Prior to purchasing your vehicle, the following services were performed:
5-4-2010 29,967 Miles
Oil and Filter Change
Air and Pollen Filter
Wiper Inserts
Battery
Flush Brake System
Resurface Rear Rotors

Sincerely, [Service Guy]
He's right as there is no 30K service, just go by the MID. Forget about the service records as it was probably just oil changes, so why worry about it, just follow the MID. The car is still under factory warranty, so enjoy the TL.

Reading posts will get you in trouble as many have no idea of the required maintenance e.g. ATF fluid 100K miles unless severe service 60K. You'll see people on here changing it at every oil change, rediculous. The MID should show somewhere close to 100% if it was just changed, now wait until it advises you of the next service.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
07 TL-S - MT - CBP

Regarding the valet key. You should ask them for this and push if needed. They must provide this.

I only got one key with my CPO purchase. I contacted them and they sent me the other key. I still didn't have the valet key so I contacted them again and they asked me to get it made and they will reimburse me, since they are 1400miles from me.

I also did not get the floor mats and didn't know they were supposed to be inlcuded so before I left the dealership, I bought some all-weather mats. Mats were also supposed to be included so I contacted them and they are sending me a set.

You should be fine getting the stuff that was missing, just ask and be nice
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

I have similar situation, Bought my 08 CPO TLS at 29,300 miles and now its showing A1 service in MID. Its around 30,300 miles now, I am planning to take it to the same dealer where I bought the car but they are asking me to pay for oil change air filter etc which shouldn't be the case as these should all be done with CPO certification process.
Now I even think they dint even check my brakes/rotors and I may need to replace them soon though in the CPO process they are supposed to check that
Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Looks as though a few need to do some research before signing on the dotted line. Some dealers/sales people will do anything they can to make a buck. Sorry to say, nobody to blame but yourselves. That may be harsh, but it certainly is a cruel world out there, especially for the unsuspecting. You'll find out during your lifetime, never trust anyone.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Intermediate

Yes, the buyer should know, but then what is the CPO all about? and why pay top $$ for that when you can't even trust the CPO process?
I am sure they can provide you with the service records and if they are worried about the privacy then they can always black out the personal information.
If this was demanded before signing the contract I am sure they would have done this right away.
I am not sure if CPO's are really worth the talk.. Most of them are still under factory original warranty and extended warranty can be bought anytime before that expires, but in CPO you almost pay double the amount for the same thing.. just my . .
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Rice and Crackers...

I bought my 07 CPO at 29.9K miles and am almost at 32K now with Oil % indicating 80%... Guess I'll be waiting for the MID to tell me I need service?

I haven't heard back on the valet key, Im not sure I'll ever valet the car so I might not even go through the hassel of harrasing the dealer for it.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
OP, there is a list somewhere stating what the dealer needs to give you before you leave the dealership with a CPO acura. ill see if i have that.

they should have all the papers that documented the cert process along with the bill for what needed repaired and serviced.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Originally Posted by blu by u
OP, there is a list somewhere stating what the dealer needs to give you before you leave the dealership with a CPO acura. ill see if i have that.

they should have all the papers that documented the cert process along with the bill for what needed repaired and serviced.
I have the list and have gone through it. My concerns were no Valet key, and wondering if they did a 30k service, which they partially did...
Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
sorry, should have read more thoroughly.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

OP just FYI
I went to the dealer who sold me CPO yesterday and told him how come my car is showing A1 service within two months of purchase, he told me that should not be the case and he is gonna do the A1 service for free which I guess is ~70$
Also I told him that I don't trust the CPO inspection done at the time they sold me the car especially the brakes and if he can inspect atleast the brakes again(as Brembo are expensive). Then he calls me later in the day and told me that my Brembo brakes are only 2mm in the front and he is replacing them for no cost.
When I went to pick up the car I showed him my floormats and he ordered new ones for me for free. Also he told me that he can condition the leather for free when I am going to pick up the floormats. But my dealer is quite close to my work so I can go their quite often.
In your case try to talk on phone nicely to a good service adviser and see what he says
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Rice and Crackers...

Originally Posted by Zemeon
OP just FYI
I went to the dealer who sold me CPO yesterday and told him how come my car is showing A1 service within two months of purchase, he told me that should not be the case and he is gonna do the A1 service for free which I guess is ~70$
Also I told him that I don't trust the CPO inspection done at the time they sold me the car especially the brakes and if he can inspect atleast the brakes again(as Brembo are expensive). Then he calls me later in the day and told me that my Brembo brakes are only 2mm in the front and he is replacing them for no cost.
When I went to pick up the car I showed him my floormats and he ordered new ones for me for free. Also he told me that he can condition the leather for free when I am going to pick up the floormats. But my dealer is quite close to my work so I can go their quite often.
In your case try to talk on phone nicely to a good service adviser and see what he says
Damn. Sounds like they are taking care of you. My prob is the dealer I bought the car from is 4 hours away and I have no intention of going back there. The nearest Acura dealer to me isn't even close so going to dealerships is going to be a big pain for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, I didn't even think about the 150 point inspection when I purchased my 06 CPO TL. I was excited to find a 6-speed more than anything.

I bought mine at 35k miles and after 10k miles, the only things I had to do was 1 oil change and tire rotation so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
if they give you any problems, call acura corporate....i got my car with CPO and the crappy dealer couldn't give me any records...they were huge assholes about it..the sales and service department sucked... i doubt they even did the CPO checklist on my car... lucky i made them sign off that it was CPO before i purchased the car...so the car came with wheels that had been chrome dipped...it looked like crap..they were peeling all over and starting to rust at points...i had a different local acura dealership tell me those wheels would have never passed a CPO test...plus the wheels were leaking air because of the pealing of the chrome...so i got Acura corporate involved and they forced the dealership to replace the 4 wheels...i got used rims that were in decent shape but i got a brand new set of tires....dont give up and get what you deserve
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
05' AT SSM

About the service records.

I went to local Honda dealership records for my car (apparently the guy who sold me my car told me previous owner went here) The guy at the counter said he could not give me the past records as there is some kind of law prohibiting him? Sounded retarded to me, but i don't see why he would lie about this.

Might be different state to state.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JORTS
if they give you any problems, call acura corporate....i got my car with CPO and the crappy dealer couldn't give me any records...they were huge assholes about it..the sales and service department sucked... i doubt they even did the CPO checklist on my car... lucky i made them sign off that it was CPO before i purchased the car...so the car came with wheels that had been chrome dipped...it looked like crap..they were peeling all over and starting to rust at points...i had a different local acura dealership tell me those wheels would have never passed a CPO test...plus the wheels were leaking air because of the pealing of the chrome...so i got Acura corporate involved and they forced the dealership to replace the 4 wheels...i got used rims that were in decent shape but i got a brand new set of tires....dont give up and get what you deserve
I am glad to see this post. I bought my 06 CPO last November and all of my wheels are peeling. I recently took it back to the dealer I bought it from. The service manager said I had to talk to the used car manager about it. So I walked into his office and mentioned the problem. He basically laughed about it and told me that I had to wait so he can finish negotiating. After half an hour I said screw it and left.

Do you think the corporate can help me? It's been nearly 7 months since I bought this car.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jungy4
I am glad to see this post. I bought my 06 CPO last November and all of my wheels are peeling. I recently took it back to the dealer I bought it from. The service manager said I had to talk to the used car manager about it. So I walked into his office and mentioned the problem. He basically laughed about it and told me that I had to wait so he can finish negotiating. After half an hour I said screw it and left.

Do you think the corporate can help me? It's been nearly 7 months since I bought this car.
dude if you bought it as a CPO then call Acura Corporate ASAP...if you have records that this issue was there when you bought the car then you should have a case....all they can do is say no....just call and make a case to them...tell them the dealership treated you poorly...good luck bro

remember that CPO means that the car has a warranty at ANY acura dealership nationwide...so that is why they have such high standards to make it a CPO....if they dont fix this now, it could go into more problems and $$ for acura in the future...

http://www.acura.com/ClientServices.aspx
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Glad i saw this post, i got my CPO last month and there is def some stuff on the list i dont have
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Rice and Crackers...

I should probably make a new post, but as of yet I haven't received a valet key (haven't pursued it too hard yet), and now have a EVAP cannister code showing, heated seats not working, and leather dye fading badly...

I was thinking I would wait until my first oil change is needed (currently at 70%) and just try to address everything at once?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:05 AM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I should probably make a new post, but as of yet I haven't received a valet key (haven't pursued it too hard yet), and now have a EVAP cannister code showing, heated seats not working, and leather dye fading badly...

I was thinking I would wait until my first oil change is needed (currently at 70%) and just try to address everything at once?
I would keep on it until you come in for the oil change, or at least tell them you are going to need the above listed things taken of.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Rice and Crackers...

UPDATE: Had to drive all the way back to the PA dealer where I purchased the car (3 hour drive one way) but they have treated me very well. They gave me the valet key, and had a company re-dye all my seats that were faded. Interior looks brand new. I have arranged with my local acura dealer to have my seats heater element replaced during my next service (currently at 20% oil life).

Shout out to Montgomeryville Acura for taking care of business! Have put about 6K miles on the car in 3 months and love it!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
2007 Acura TL

It's nice seeing this thread and so many others having problems with the CPO process. I bought my CPO '07 TL about a month ago. During the delivery the salesman gave the keys to my wife, so I didn't realize that there was no valet key. The mats weren't new either, but at the time I wasn't too worried about it. When I called and asked about the key, I got a voicemail saying sorry, that the prior owner had not returned one so they did not have one to provide. I had to call back again and mention the CPO checklist before they authorized the service department to cut a replacement.

I also purchased the AcuraCare wrap, and called Acura Care today as I had not yet received the contract. Turns out the dealer never submitted the application to them. Still waiting for a call back from the salesman. At this point, I'll be heading there tomorrow at lunch to request a refund (I'll pay an extra $200 for the extra year from Curry) and new floor mats. I really resent having to badger a dealer to provide something that I already paid for.

It's really such a shame; the purchase process was so smooth; who knew you could F-UP after sales service so badly...

Park Ave Acura in Rochelle Park, NJ by the way, Tony C was the sales rep...