Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:16 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

Does anyone here have a remote starter for their car? One dealership (that I didn't end up buying from) had a partner that installed them correctly for a nominal fee. The dealership I went with doesn't offer the service, however we know some people who have done remote starters for us and our friends in many cars. Before I go through with it is there anything special with the Acura that I should warn them about before they start cutting and stripping wires? I know they might end up just burrying a key under the engine (not so sure how that works) to remote start the car, does this have any disadvantges with an Acura?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:22 AM
04 TL NBP-B NAVI

Couple of things you'll loose when installing a remote starter:
- The memory feature in the standard Acura keyfob, i.e. you could have a different setting for you and your wife for example on each of the standard keyfob. You'll loose this feature with the remote starter;
- You'll also loose the Window control feature that you have with the standard keyfob i.e. when holding down the Open button all the Windows automatically open. You wont get that with the remote starter.

Anyway, I still installed one on mine. In Montreal in the winter it's very cold so a remote started is a very nice feature to have
Old 04-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Cruisin'

True, but I was reading about some alarm/starters, I found the viper 791xv you can keep all those features, apparently you can even roll down and up your windows from the remote. Anyways i'll find out once I install mine, i'll let you know. But even if I do loose these feautres your right with weather like we get in montreal a starter is very important.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:56 AM
04 TL NBP-B NAVI

One of my colleagues at work just purchased a BMW 545 for over 100k CAN(including Tax) and then found out that he can't install a remote starter. Dealer says it could interfere with the electronic of the car and then the warranty won't cover any problem that might pop-up.

Anyways is was so funny to hear that :toothless

I can't imaging him when it's -30oC and he wont be able to start the car remotely !!!

Anyway a remote starter is even very usefull in the summer especially with the leather seats ... with AC to max remote start the car and then just hop in a couple of minutes!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 PM

I am pretty sure I could get a remote starter to keep those features but it might be too expensive. Like I said, my father just had one installed on his Mercedes which is actually pretty cool. The keychain has an LCD readout with a small thick antenna on it. The LCD gives info on the car temp, if its locked, if the alarm is on, etc. and he also had the option to have it programmed to allow for him to dial his cell phone and start the car anywhere. The LCD also shows how much of the 20 mins you have left once you start the car (auto-shut off). Its very cool, but probably too expensive for me. I'm sure if they can do all that for his car, they could keep the features in mine with the right stuff. But it is definitely good to know that there is a chance I could lose them. Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 01:20 PM
10th Gear

The thing I don't like about these aftermarket alarm is that most of the time the installer will endup hiding a coded spare key near the key lock cylinder instead of using an electronic module to talk to the imobilizer. It's safe yes and no. The key is not cut so it does not work as a driving key but it is coded so it can be used to please the imobilizer I some SOB knows how to jumpstart the ignition switch.
The best is *not* to use the spare key type of module and make sure the installer uses an electronic module ($40) that is hard wired to the imobilizer not a wire huging the antenna loop huging at the lock cylinder.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

don't use spare key, there is a honda immobilizer bypass module that can be purchased for use with remote starts. i think calscubaD is right its about 40 bucks maybe cheaper. it will allow you to start the car with the remote without having to bury the key in the steering wheel. it will still retain the safety feature of the immobilizer, you need the key to drive the car.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Talking

I got mine installed by the Dealer (Curry Acura $500) and every option on the remote works. I have the original remotes, I still have all three keys and the only thing I dont like is to start the car I have to press close-open-close on the remote.
But like I said they are the original remotes and all functions work.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My hubby is a mechanic and he does not like the remote starters for the same reason - can interfere with the electronic system - he sees it all the time. I have a friend who had one installed after market - it worked like a charm for a pretty long time then he had lots of problems.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fendogz
I got mine installed by the Dealer (Curry Acura $500) and every option on the remote works. I have the original remotes, I still have all three keys and the only thing I dont like is to start the car I have to press close-open-close on the remote.
But like I said they are the original remotes and all functions work.
Once you do that how do you unlock the door to the car? Push unlock agian or do you have to use the key?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

anyone with a remote start on a 6MT. my dealer won't do it, i don't really want to take it to aftermarket.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...614#post778614

Check out this guy, you may be able to squeeze something out of him... his acura dealer installed the remote start for him.

If anyone gets the car from the same dealer, you should be able to find it out...
Old 04-30-2004, 02:36 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by caball88
anyone with a remote start on a 6MT. my dealer won't do it, i don't really want to take it to aftermarket.
dealer will in no way install remote start on manual cars..they dont want to be liable in case ur car somehow stays in gear and parking break not on and it causes ur car to crash into something..if u look on the remote started box, it says its for auto only, but only aftermarket shop can bypass that...ur only way to go is aftermarket stereo shop..
Old 04-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

All the buttons on the remote work the way they supose to. Even when I hold the open button all the windows roll down.
When I'm going to start the car I have to go through that ritual (close - open - close).

I'm use to it now so it doesnt bother me anymore.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a CompuStar remote starter.
http://www.compustar.org/intro.html

I don't use the original remote anymore.
The starter works from a mile away (in theory) and from my office to my car in the concrete parking structure (in practice.)

I can no longer roll down the windows, but I can start the car and get it nice and cool.

The remote also has a display that shows me if I locked the car or not, and tells me if any of the alarms go off.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:24 PM

Thats the one my dad has. I don't need something that advanced. I wouldn't mind the lock-unlock-lock ritual as long as I can keep my fob and its features.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Try calling Curry Acura to see if they can install it for you.
I'm realy happy that I can still use the origanal remote and all it's features.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:59 PM

My dad knows someone who does it. I'll give them a call if I need more options though.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
fendogz, may I know what brand of remote starter are you using?

Also, do you receive another remote for that remote starter? Or what you talked about "close-open-close" command sequence is used on your Acura genuine keyfob remote, then your car will start...

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:04 PM

Me, personally, I will opt for the ritual startup :p

I want the genuine fob.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Definitely DO NOT want to install a starter on a 6MT. I used to install them and bypassed the clutch safety switch on my Civic because I always leave the car in neutral w/ the parking brake on. My friend apparently did not. Long story short - Friend pushes wrong button on remote. Civic drives itself down the driveway and accross the street. Civic is abruptly stopped by a tree. Not a good move!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
fendogz, may I know what brand of remote starter are you using?

Also, do you receive another remote for that remote starter? Or what you talked about "close-open-close" command sequence is used on your Acura genuine keyfob remote, then your car will start...

Thanks.
Its a genuine acura remote.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

Its the one that came with the car.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by greaTLakes
Definitely DO NOT want to install a starter on a 6MT. I used to install them and bypassed the clutch safety switch on my Civic because I always leave the car in neutral w/ the parking brake on. My friend apparently did not. Long story short - Friend pushes wrong button on remote. Civic drives itself down the driveway and accross the street. Civic is abruptly stopped by a tree. Not a good move!
dang but i really wanted the remote start for the A/C in the summer and the heater in the winter. hell it gets really hot and cold here in the NE and would be so nice to get the car interior temp to reasonable degrees.

fendogz: do you think curry will install the remote start in my 6MT?
Old 05-01-2004, 01:27 AM
Instructor

you can keep your acura remote, and get just a remote starter installed for around 300-500. its just that you will have two remotes, but at least you can still roll down your windows and the car can still tell driver 1&2 appart.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:07 AM
wil
1st Gear

As a matter of fact, there is a way to install remote start onto a manual and not have it drive away if the car's in gear. However, this is an advanced method that not many in the industry know how to do this. Just searching out the neutral safety wire takes approximately 1-2 hrs.

I have the Viper 791 on my 6MT and hacked the ECU to get to the neutral safety wire for my alarm. Now, the car will not start if it's in gear.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Intermediate

dang but i really wanted the remote start for the A/C in the summer and the heater in the winter. hell it gets really hot and cold here in the NE and would be so nice to get the car interior temp to reasonable degrees.

fendogz: do you think curry will install the remote start in my 6MT?
It doesnt hert to call them and ask. But I dont think they'll do it because of safty reasons.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wil
As a matter of fact, there is a way to install remote start onto a manual and not have it drive away if the car's in gear. However, this is an advanced method that not many in the industry know how to do this. Just searching out the neutral safety wire takes approximately 1-2 hrs.

I have the Viper 791 on my 6MT and hacked the ECU to get to the neutral safety wire for my alarm. Now, the car will not start if it's in gear.
so do you have 2 key fobs or did they use the acura one?
Old 06-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Advanced

One big problem in using the factory remote to start the car is range. With aftermarket remote start you get a much, much larger range, some over a mile.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Word of advice guys:

I have installed: AudioVox PRO-9175FT4 Remote Start

I am having all sorts of problems with the alarm going off.

By simply locking the car. Then coming back to it and hitting unlock the alarm is going off. It seems to happen when I have passengers. Don't ask me why. Only way to disable alarm is to grab the Acura FOB and hit unlock.

Also you can't set the alarm by hitting lock twice like the Acura FOB.

I am going to Jo-Di's next week to get to the bottom of this.

Maybe I should have gotten a higher end remote start than this POS.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Did you end up calling Curry to see if they were willing/able to install on a 6MT?

I'm picking mine up in less than 2 weeks and I would love to get remote start with my new TL.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Banned

FYI, you don't need the Acura fob to turn off the Acura alarm.
Since the fob is just a a remote lock/unlock tool, it has nothing to do with the alarm, other than the alarm automatically gets set after the doors are locked.
When your alarm goes off by mistake, the quickest way to disable it is to put the key in the door, lock and then unlock it.
This happens to me about once a month... (Hopefully when no friends are near.)
Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
10th Gear

ok im really lost here.....SOMEONE HELP ME...like i said before im a noobie to the tl's...but now u guys are talking about remote starts...i am interested in knowing that stuff, now is the remote start put in at the dealer? and how much average price? also u guys were saying that u guys can use the factory remote? and last ? was will it start all the radio and ac and heater stuff if its left on?...plz help me out guys i want that remote start here too
Old 06-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by outkast
ok im really lost here.....SOMEONE HELP ME...like i said before im a noobie to the tl's...but now u guys are talking about remote starts...i am interested in knowing that stuff, now is the remote start put in at the dealer? and how much average price? also u guys were saying that u guys can use the factory remote? and last ? was will it start all the radio and ac and heater stuff if its left on?...plz help me out guys i want that remote start here too
Okay, a remote starter is just what it sounds like.
It starts your car.
Just as if you were sitting inside it and turned the key.
It turns on the AC (if you left it on) the radio (if you left it on) the lights (if you left them on) the girlfriend (oh, never mind...)

Most remote starters have their own alarm system, so they need to "disable" or "work with" the factory alarm.

My remote starter allows me to start my car from about a mile away (if we were in the middle of a very big field), or from my office in a real-world scenario.
I have a two way remote that looks like a small pager, that lets me know if the alarm is going off, or even if I locked the doors or not.

Remote starters cost $200 to $400 bucks, with installation being about the same.
My installer quoted me $750 for a complete install.

Things to consider about a remote starter are how well they work with the factory alarm, and how well they work with the immobilizer chip (you know, the chip in your key.)

I do not have to carry around the Acura remote any more, and my "pager" remote just clips on my belt. Of course valet parking is not as easy, but there you go.

-=Nick=-
Old 06-08-2004, 12:42 PM
10th Gear

thnx nick i appreciate it....but what about the factory remote?...is there a factory remote start or do u have to buy an aftermarket alarm and configure your remote to it?....cause i saw that people were saying CLOSE OPEN CLOSE to start it?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Advanced

IMO there should be a way to electronicly engage the clutch so you can use a remote starter with a MT... It's a little hard to believe that with a car that's so darn integrated electronicly that the clutch is still 100% mechanical.

-Steve
Old 08-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Banned

The CompuStar will work with a MT transmission.

Basically, it rely's on you parking using the parking brake, and not leaving the car in gear.

The way it works in practice is that you park the car, and while the engine is still running you turn the car off with the remote starter. You then take the keys out and go on your way...
When you return, you just hit the start button, and the car will start up. This way the starter knows that the car was shut down in the correct way, and it will start again.

Yeah, it's harder for MT cars, but there you go.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:06 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by greaTLakes
I feel ya. A friend at a local stereo shop had a remote starter on his Camaro and used to leave it in neutral with the parking brake. He let the secretary take his car to go get lunch and when she came back and parked she left it in gear like most people. Well, he left to go home, walked out, and jumped his Camaro into the guardrail in the parking lot!

I'd think there's a way to put a relay or some other mechanism so that the car wouldn't start if in gear. If so, I'd do it. I put one on my Accord in about 4 hours. I'd like to have it on my TL.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Yeah, the compustar addresses this.
It will only remote start if it was remote-stopped.
In order to remote stop it, you put it in neutral with the parking brake on, you press the stop button, and then remove the keys.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickpoore
The CompuStar will work with a MT transmission.

Basically, it rely's on you parking using the parking brake, and not leaving the car in gear.

The way it works in practice is that you park the car, and while the engine is still running you turn the car off with the remote starter. You then take the keys out and go on your way...
When you return, you just hit the start button, and the car will start up. This way the starter knows that the car was shut down in the correct way, and it will start again.

Yeah, it's harder for MT cars, but there you go.
Actually you are a bit wrong. How it works... is when you park you leave it in neutral and take your keys out. Your car is still running. It keeps the car running until you get out and close the door or press the brake (that way no one can run off with your car). When you get out of the car and close the door the car turns off . That way it knows no matter what you did not leave the car in gear (unless you really really wanted to trick it IE take the keys out and open and close the door. After you close the door and the car turns off, if you open the drivers door the car will not remote start anymore regardless. You will have to do the whole starting / taking out the key and opening and closing the door. It is a very very smart and pretty much unbeatable sollution to manual cars. The compustar is such an amazing alarm, but what annoys me is that it pretty much does everything the stock FOB does except you can roll up windows / remote start the car. I might still get it installed.. not sure.