Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

regarding rear suspension noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:17 AM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
regarding rear suspension noise...

I notice type s owners having rear suspension noises. Well I have a base navi TL and I recently changed my suspension to tokico hp + h&r sport. Now I notice the same noise that type s owners are describing.

It sounds like metal moving around i.e. the upper mount/springs/shocks is moving or hitting against something. Like a clunking noise. I made sure everything is torqued and there's NO way my springs/shocks are moving around.

Now when I go over a speed bump or go "slowly" up a driveway, as soon as the rear tires hit the driveway, I hear that clunking noise. It only happens when I go slowly over something or suddenly turn in an opposite direction. Going normal cruising speed of 30+ mph I don't hear it; even over bumps or dips, but if I go 5-10 mph over something uneven in the road, it makes that noise.

Anyone else experiencing this metal clunking noise? It appears to be around the upper mount. Please give me your insight and wat is this noise coming from. Driving me crazy... There were no spacers or anything of the sort when I opened the springs/tokico shock packaging.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
did you cut the stock rubber bump stops thinner?
thats often required when going to lowered springs
Also check the end links on the sway bar, those are weak

Going faster just mask the noise!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
#TeamBoosted

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
did you cut the stock rubber bump stops thinner?
thats often required when going to lowered springs
Also check the end links on the sway bar, those are weak

Going faster just mask the noise!
No I just swapped the rubber bump stops from the stock shocks to the tokico ones. I didn't know I had to trim it thinner....but how would that rubber bump stop be making "metal" noises...rubber hitting against metal won't produce that metal clunking sound. Also the end links are torqued and looks fine since I recently installed progress sway bar. This sound started b4 I added the thicker sway bar. I hear the sound coming from around the upper mount area where the 6 x 9 speakers are.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Its the end links
Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
Its the end links
Care to elaborate?

Try tightening the two bolts that fasten the top hats to the car.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:22 PM
#TeamBoosted

end links?!?!? noise started as soon as I installed the suspension. Then heard the noise for a week and I thought it was something loose in the trunk. Checked. Nothing. Then progress sway bar goes in. Everything is tightened and torqued to factory specs. I TRIPLED check because of my OCD. Even the upper mount. I tripled check it to make sure its not overtightened and torqued to factory specs. I did not trim the bump stops.

I'll describe the noise: from a height of 6 feet, drop a quarter into a puddle of water. Its that noise, except its more "metal" noise. This only happens at slow speed over uneven surfaces like speed bumps, driveway bump, and sudden quick turn.

Its driving me crazy. I have to put music on to avoid hearing it.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have TL-S and I have like a clunking noise. You can hear it only if you open front window. And it goes from front suspension when front weels hit some uneven surface or holes on the road, but not all the time. I do not know what to do. May be to go to my dialer to check it?