Sponsored by:

Rearview backup cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearview backup cam

All,

I just want to see what you guys think of this before I order it: With the switcher from AVElectronic and this camera, will I have little trouble getting the rearview camera functionality to work correctly, including getting the camera to automatically go on when I put the car in reverse (6MT)?

I like the automatic light detection and the nightvision features of this camera vs. the other camera on AVElectronic (and they're the same price!).

-Steve
Old 08-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I saw the similar cameras and talked to the installed guy yesterday, we tried find the good location to mount the rear-view camera in the trunk/rear-license areas.

With this flat-like cam, you will only get the sharp and narrow view-angle from your Navi-screen, probably less than 1 foot distance. If you have longer cam, it may expand its range a little bit, but I have to say the field you could see would be very short and restricted.

The swith is supposed to cut off the Navi signal and put your rear-view cam video into the screen while shifting to R. Make sure you get the detailed installation guide if you like DIY.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Racer

wouldn't it be possible to put in ur own lens/camera?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rets
With this flat-like cam, you will only get the sharp and narrow view-angle from your Navi-screen, probably less than 1 foot distance. If you have longer cam, it may expand its range a little bit, but I have to say the field you could see would be very short and restricted.
That's not so good...

I wonder if there is a similar problem with the camera from AVElectronic (either built into the licenceplate frame or the stand-alone model, which I assume are the same thing)?

-Steve
Old 08-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shinj1EVA
wouldn't it be possible to put in ur own lens/camera?
DO you mean like a USB-type webcam that would plug into your PC? I'm not sure of the question..

-Steve
Old 08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Imho...

Originally Posted by screaming
That's not so good...

I wonder if there is a similar problem with the camera from AVElectronic (either built into the licenceplate frame or the stand-alone model, which I assume are the same thing)?

-Steve
The conversion of your Navi into the rear-view camera is quite simple, the similar switch/adapter from AVElectronic or other brands could easily make it happen. Plus, the right system would provide you the capability of adding some accessories to make Navi into DVD system, too, if you want.

I think the hard parts for us is how to mount/hide/choose rigth cam for our car.

If checking your license/trunk location later, you may see how small area you could get out there. I bet you have seen "William's TL" in Audio/Vedio forum, I think his screen shows the best result we may get in this conversion, however, this also means we may get worse with improper cam or installation.

As for the licence plate cam, it looks ugly to me, IMO, but it may get better angle and range in return.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Racer

I don't mean a USB camera, but from the sounds of it, it's just another video feed into that AVElectronic conversion kit.. seems like you could wire up a standard camera to it..
Old 08-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Advanced

How far do you really need to see with this backup camera though? I mean, your rearview mirrors show everything that is further than a few feet from your bumper, so as long as the camera just helps you see in that one foot blind spot, you'll be fine. The camera shouldn't be the only thing you look at when you're backing up. Use it as a supplement to your mirrors and turning around to look behind you...

As far as having it work with the switch, I would think any camera would work. Like rets said, the switch detects when you go into reverse and then automatically switches to the camera port. As long as you connect the camera to the switch correctly, I can't imagine it not working.

The camera you chose views 112 degrees horizontally. It looks like a good camera, but you should get a protractor and measure out 112 degrees and see if that's enough for you. You won't be able to see anything that's about to hit the far left or far right sides of your bumper.

Matt
Old 08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rets
I think the hard parts for us is how to mount/hide/choose rigth cam for our car.

If checking your license/trunk location later, you may see how small area you could get out there. I bet you have seen "William's TL" in Audio/Vedio forum, I think his screen shows the best result we may get in this conversion, however, this also means we may get worse with improper cam or installation.

As for the licence plate cam, it looks ugly to me, IMO, but it may get better angle and range in return.
I agree.. I just don't want to drill holes or otherwise permanently damage my car for anything. By the looks of the William's mod, he had to drill a hole for his cam.

..but that's really my only draw to the license-plate cam: No modifications necessary. (Wait, how does the cable get into your trunk? doh..)

-Steve
Old 08-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Pics from William's TL...

Originally Posted by msisaac
How far do you really need to see with this backup camera though? I mean, your rearview mirrors show everything that is further than a few feet from your bumper, so as long as the camera just helps you see in that one foot blind spot, you'll be fine. The camera shouldn't be the only thing you look at when you're backing up. Use it as a supplement to your mirrors and turning around to look behind you...

As far as having it work with the switch, I would think any camera would work. Like rets said, the switch detects when you go into reverse and then automatically switches to the camera port. As long as you connect the camera to the switch correctly, I can't imagine it not working.

U hit the points. Distance may not be as important as you check both of side mirrors and turn around to check. However, the too short distance of rear-view cam would really make no sense to have it installed.

IMO, I don't like the result if it's less than 1 foot. William's rear-view cam seem to go more than 2 feet.

The camera you chose views 112 degrees horizontally. It looks like a good camera, but you should get a protractor and measure out 112 degrees and see if that's enough for you. You won't be able to see anything that's about to hit the far left or far right sides of your bumper.

Matt
Right, left and rigth corners will be another blind spots. But we could try to cover them by using both side mirrors.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK LISTEN

The license plate bracket camera wont fit becuase the top hits the lip of the trunk. You can buy an adapter thatlowers it so it will work perfect. If you are interested I can sell you the license frame camera. View here on a TSX http://67.18.48.66/ Just not for me, might be great for one of you. Much cheaper than MSRP if interested.

What we need is the MDX/ RX camera. Mount discretely on the bottom of the lip and already angled! See here: http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=18134

Let's make this happen!