Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view mirrors?

So I realize these were only on the concept but I really want to know if they were really rear view mirrors that you could view behind you with... or if they were jsut for show. if they were how the heck did they work??

http://www.topspeedtuning.com/articl...oncept/011.jpg
http://www.topspeedtuning.com/articl...oncept/007.jpg

http://www.topspeedtuning.com/articl...03/tl_concept/ here is the site... check out the rear, i like that a bit more, but i cant really tell all they changed for production.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:31 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just cam for Navi screen.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Instructor

so instead of checking your mirrors you check your navi screen?

if thats it then i guess thats cool, but how would it know when you wanted to check your mirro real quick to change lanes compared to when to post the map?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
they never showed interior pics of the concept, so we don't know how (and if) they actually worked
Old 12-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Those look like they replace the SIDE-view mirrors, not the rear-view mirror which is inside the car.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm Baaack!

If it were me, I'd send the image from the cameras to a small LCD in the Rear view mirror, (Maybe hide two up there, one left one right) or slide two small lcds in the dash so all views are available with minimal eyes off the road time ... but then again I'm just a consumer, not an Acura engineer ...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Racer

I bet the cops pull you over every 10 feet for not having a mirror.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by midas69

I heard it would be every four feet. :cop:
Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by midas69
You're not required to have exterior rearview mirrors. However, most states have a law that forbids you to block the rear window if you DON'T have exterior mirrors. This is mainly for vans and such, but it applies to all vehicles. You simply must have at least one usable rearview mirror.

Of course, I can't speak for all 50 states, but in the states I've been in, this has always been the case.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Pro

Looks kool....but I'll stick to my stock ones.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT3
You're not required to have exterior rearview mirrors. However, most states have a law that forbids you to block the rear window if you DON'T have exterior mirrors. This is mainly for vans and such, but it applies to all vehicles. You simply must have at least one usable rearview mirror.

Of course, I can't speak for all 50 states, but in the states I've been in, this has always been the case.
You are really talking about sideview mirrors, right?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:47 AM

Virginia goes to the extreme that if you do not have two sideview mirrors, it is illegal even to put stickers on the rear window (that would include the standard college stickers many people have). I've never heard of it being enforced, but if you get an arsehole doing the inspection, watch out....
Old 12-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Those look like they replace the SIDE-view mirrors, not the rear-view mirror which is inside the car.
Sorry thats what I meant.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JT3

I think there are some states that require a driver side mirror.

Remember like the 83 Honda civic? It came from the factory with ONLY a drivers side exterior side mirror. I think it was a civic, maybe it was an old skool Hyundai, it was some car my friend beat to trash when he first got his liscense while he was fixing up an accord.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Advanced

"So I realize these were only on the concept but I really want to know if they were really rear view mirrors that you could view behind you with... or if they were jsut for show. if they were how the heck did they work??"

Interesting, never seen that before. A possible idea is that when you put the left turn signal on the nav screen shows the left camera view and performs in a similar manner on the right side. not sure how good this would be for practical use, but an interesting concept.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm Baaack!

I'm thinking you guys are getting too literal with the definition here ... If you look at the intent of the Law (if there even is one), It would be to have a device on your vehicle that allows you to have a relatively unobstructed view of what is behind you (or, in the case of side view mirrors, coming up on the side of you). A camera providing you the same (or arguably better) view of what a mirror would provide would, IMHO, meet the criteria.

Now does that mean some butt-head wouldn't write you a ticket? .. probably not, but I would think you'd be able to fight it pretty easily.

Just my (The above is expressed as an opinion by an uninformed individual and does not assume any liability for tickets, citations, or errors in judgement associated with the information contained within this post .. )
Old 12-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by EleVatE
I think there are some states that require a driver side mirror.

Remember like the 83 Honda civic? It came from the factory with ONLY a drivers side exterior side mirror. I think it was a civic, maybe it was an old skool Hyundai, it was some car my friend beat to trash when he first got his liscense while he was fixing up an accord.
Having only one sideview used to be common. My 1982 Accord had just the driver's side mirror; so did my 1977 Granada. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense that cars with manual mirror adjustments might have only one mirror, because it is virtually impossible to adjust the passenger-side mirror to the correct position from the driver's seat if the manual adjuster is on the passenger-side door, given that a proper adjustment requires putting your head directly in the center of the vehicle.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:22 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks weird....
Old 12-20-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm Baaack!

Volvo BLIS

Check this out .... it doesn't use a monitor it shows an indicator to the driver if there is an object in a predetermined "blind spot"

We hate to admit it, but our one true driving weakness is the blind-spot. So yeah, when you see the Engadget-mobile cruisin’ around Manhattan, you should definitely get out of the driver’s black hole, at least until we pick up one of the new Volvos with BLIS (Blind Spot Information System). The system is comprised of a digital camera that fires off 25 times per second; if the system believes a car has entered the blind spot, a visual indicator is signaled to the driver.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
I'm thinking you guys are getting too literal with the definition here ... If you look at the intent of the Law (if there even is one), It would be to have a device on your vehicle that allows you to have a relatively unobstructed view of what is behind you (or, in the case of side view mirrors, coming up on the side of you). A camera providing you the same (or arguably better) view of what a mirror would provide would, IMHO, meet the criteria.

Now does that mean some butt-head wouldn't write you a ticket? .. probably not, but I would think you'd be able to fight it pretty easily.

Just my (The above is expressed as an opinion by an uninformed individual and does not assume any liability for tickets, citations, or errors in judgement associated with the information contained within this post .. )
I'm sure you are correct. But do you really want to constantly be stopped? Do you want to waste the time it takes to show the cop that you indeed have a camera there rather than a mirror? And for the few times a cop writes you up even after you show him, do you want to spend the time it takes to go to court and fight the ticket?

And here in Illinois, a driver side mirror is required. A passenger side mirror is only required if you have obstructed vision straight back.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is an aftermarket company out there that makes a rearview mirror (the one inside the car) that has two small LCD screens on each side. These screens show camera views of presumably side-view mirror replacements.

something like this:

Maybe the concept TL had a similar setup.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Check this out .... it doesn't use a monitor it shows an indicator to the driver if there is an object in a predetermined "blind spot"

We hate to admit it, but our one true driving weakness is the blind-spot. So yeah, when you see the Engadget-mobile cruisin’ around Manhattan, you should definitely get out of the driver’s black hole, at least until we pick up one of the new Volvos with BLIS (Blind Spot Information System). The system is comprised of a digital camera that fires off 25 times per second; if the system believes a car has entered the blind spot, a visual indicator is signaled to the driver.

saw this, its ok but just a concept til 06?