Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy a TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to buy a TL-S

Sorry to vent about dealerships but $&@*!(!)@#)!&^#$!!!!!

I've located my car and the friggin' dealership is being a "you know what"

Thought I had a price tonight with the SM and the GSM called the SM and said "he had someone ready to pay invoice" (I just KNOW that's a load of crap since it's such a not-in-demand color combination) and wouldn't sell it to me for the price I agreed to.

I know it's all about supply and demand, but in the 2.5 hours I was there tonight, not a single other customer came in to the dealership. The car has been there for at least 3 weeks since I first test drove it and I've had brokers inquire about it and the dealership doesn't want to part with it.

I've used out of state price quotes and even have a different local dealership agree to match the price (in fact this SM agreed to match but won't budge on "dealer installed options") and waited for the GSM to call back tonight.

Anyone know how to find out when the dealership took delivery of the car and use the fact that it's been on their lot for XX number of months and try to use that to get the GSM to sell me the car? Do I just wait them out and return in a few weeks and see if it's still there?

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Racer

how much is he asking, how much are you willing to pay?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Doesn't make any difference how long they have had it or what they paid. If they want to keep it let them. Move on to someone that wants to do business with you.

Business is not that good and life is too short.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Normally (before the recent crisis in auto sales) a used car stays on the Acura lot 2 months max- then goes to their ~off the main road~ sub dealer/ (different name made to sound like mom and pop store) used car lot (still owned by same guy) for a month- if not sold- back to the auction it goes

the dealer picks up used cars from lease return, from a trade ins on a new car, or from the auctions- which tend to have a lot of lease returned cars that get shipped across the country (for unknown reasons) and resold to delears

You can look up on the free part of carfax- it will show when sold in its life, if its an auction car or what, and where its history of ownership was.
Acura can also give you info on the car- 1-800-382-2238x5, tell them you are looking at it to buy- you need the VIN number to do any of these checks
If it passes those test- then you need to have a private mechanic look at it, brakes- etc and tell you how much its going to cost to fix. The transmision on these cars is always a weak spot and $4000 if out of warranty

If there is ~no one on dealer premises~ to sign the paperwork and close the deal, they are just keeping you there to wear you down till they get what they want.
If you cant deal directly with the GM of the dealer in person- walk away
He's not here? BS!!!! guess they cant sell anything today!
SALES manager is who signs off - after the finance guy tries to get you to use them to finance-
Starting to feel jerked- its just starting~~

There are many nice TLs for sale right here on azine, from members who loved their car and took good care of it. Off topic section-
https://acurazine.com/forums/member-cars-sale-49/

Unless the dealer is offering free extra warranty to 200,000 miles - tell them to take a flying leap- they already wasted 2.5 hours of your life when you had a price you offered-- and that was it.
The salesman can (and does in secret) look up exactly how much they have invested in any car and what the final sales price should be- and what they will take- especially to hook you with alleged extras???. The TL doesnt have any options the dealer can do- unless they do a major service- timing belt water pump for it!! which the wont~
Its a used car- what are they going to do- charge you for the detailing and gasoline?

There are private owner cars everywhere- see C-List in your area,
often find the perfect TL parked on a main road right near your house--- many private sellers look on kbb and think their car is worth a lot more than it really is. Be prepared with research and numbers

With things very slow in car sales - except hybrids and compacts- the TL falls in the mid to poor gas mileage type of used cars.
If you are at the dealer- you are paying the salesmans rent, the SM's boat payment and the GMs imported cigars. Is that really where you want your money to go?
And got jacked around already!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Team Owner

As soon as you hear- someone else wants to pay me full price-- if you insist on staying to negotiate instead of saying -thank you goodbye,,,then you should apply the lubricant as the friggen is about to begin.
On a used vehicle it means there is a $500 repair waiting to happen, and it would be great if they didnt have to mess with this car one more day- that applies to private sales as well.
Doesnt matter if new car or used car- someone else will pay this-- well good for them!!

When the salesman goes to copy your license and get the key, they check with sales manager/computer and find out what they can sell it for- then they go to work on you.
All while running a credit report on you
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
did you try one of those websites where you can locate the car? I mean it isn't the only dealer in your area right?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Go elsewhere.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
As soon as you hear- someone else wants to pay me full price-- if you insist on staying to negotiate instead of saying -thank you goodbye,,,then you should apply the lubricant as the friggen is about to begin.
On a used vehicle it means there is a $500 repair waiting to happen, and it would be great if they didnt have to mess with this car one more day- that applies to private sales as well.
Doesnt matter if new car or used car- someone else will pay this-- well good for them!!

When the salesman goes to copy your license and get the key, they check with sales manager/computer and find out what they can sell it for- then they go to work on you.
All while running a credit report on you

That's when I said goodnight and got up and left. I've done my research, came in with a price from some help here on AZ and thought we might have a decent number. The GSM was gone for the day so his info came via phone to the SM while I was still there. The GSM seems to think others are interested in the car, when in reality I've had 3 auto brokers and a few other dealerships inquire about it. I can wait.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Cruisin'

Normally (before the recent crisis in auto sales) a used car stays on the Acura lot 2 months max- then goes to their ~off the main road~ sub dealer/ (different name made to sound like mom and pop store) used car lot (still owned by same guy) for a month- if not sold- back to the auction it goes

the dealer picks up used cars from lease return, from a trade ins on a new car, or from the auctions- which tend to have a lot of lease returned cars that get shipped across the country (for unknown reasons) and resold to delears

This is actually a new TL-S I'm looking at buying, but all good points on used cars.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much did you offer to buy the car? The actual price for a TLS vary from state to state. Usually not by much, but if other dealerships are willing to sell you that price and your dealership doesn't match it, then you are wasting your time with them.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Denver Dave: I also live in Centennial and can recommend an auto broker who I have used on several occasions, including our TL. Your message indicates that you have tried brokers; is there a reason that they were not successful in your quest? If you would like, I could supply the name and number of my guy. He is a car guy through and through and I have known him for 20 some years.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
How much did you offer to buy the car? The actual price for a TLS vary from state to state. Usually not by much, but if other dealerships are willing to sell you that price and your dealership doesn't match it, then you are wasting your time with them.
I offered 36.6 out the door.
33,632 base
850 for "dealer installed options" that i don't really want nor care about
369 for "additional dealer fees" (I've given up on trying to get them to drop this)
plus tax and title.

SM wanted to add a flat $500 for profit on top of this. (WTF???)

I said no, offered 36, 600 and waited for the GSM to call back. He did and said he had someone else willing to pay "invoice". That's when I got up and left.

I am being very specific on the color combination and manual transmission and have been told this is the ONLY one of it's kind in the country by 3 different auto brokers and 3 other local dealers.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denverdave

I am being very specific on the color combination and manual transmission and have been told this is the ONLY one of it's kind in the country by 3 different auto brokers and 3 other local dealers.
If thats the case they will get someone to pay the $600 difference eventually. That or they may sit on it for a while and call you back.

If you don't want to pay it pick another combo or gamble and see if they call you back. Who knows with it being month end you may get a call tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

Even if it's not a color in demand, someone will pay it. MT are hard to come by and even if they leave it at the dealer for X amount of months someone will eventually buy it.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
I caught the mod flu

I have used Carsdirect.com a few times and have been very happy with them in the past. When I bought my 08 I walked in and pretty much walked out with the price I wanted.

I'm really surprised their playing hardball with you. The economy is horrible and no one is buying cars right now.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
B A N N E D

Just to give you an idea I paid 34,800 for mine...so you can use that as a number. 08 TL Type-S with 3 miles on it.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I offered 36.6 out the door.
33,632 base
850 for "dealer installed options" that i don't really want nor care about
369 for "additional dealer fees" (I've given up on trying to get them to drop this)
plus tax and title.

SM wanted to add a flat $500 for profit on top of this. (WTF???)

I said no, offered 36, 600 and waited for the GSM to call back. He did and said he had someone else willing to pay "invoice". That's when I got up and left.

If you add that up it is going to cost 35,351 before TTL. I don't think that is that bad especially when they have the color combo and MT you wanted. I see you wanted to just pay 36,600 including tax. I am not sure what is your tax percentage in your state, but they have to sell the car less in order to make up for the tax.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

what exactly are the dealer installed options?
what exactly are the additional dealer fees for- besides pure profit to make the sale price seem better than it is?
They will also add a paperwork processing fee- not too much you can do there, but check with the state on the amount dealer is supposed to charge for that service- registering the car with DMV for you
What options do you add to a car that comes with everything? paint protect- bs-
vin numbers etching into glass- get it done for 50 bucks elsewhere
delivery and prep fees- total bs
I worked in service/parts long enough to have the salesman tell me the real story!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

what exactly are the dealer installed options?
what exactly are the additional dealer fees for- besides pure profit to make the sale price seem better than it is?
They will also add a paperwork processing fee- not too much you can do there, but check with the state on the amount dealer is supposed to charge for that service- registering the car with DMV for you
What options do you add to a car that comes with everything? paint protect- bs-
vin numbers etching into glass- get it done for 50 bucks elsewhere
delivery and prep fees- total bs
I worked in service/parts long enough to have the salesman tell me the real story!!!
"DEALER CONVENIENCE PACKAGE" as they call it..
Trunk Tray (Acura price 111.00)
Splash Guards (Acura price 138.00)
Wheel Locks (Acura price 50.00)
Clear front end mask (local price $300.00) (dealer price $495.00) and it's not even on the car yet!!!

Dealer math $989.00 (got them to come down to $850)

Their paperwork/handling fees $369.00
Title/registration (CO state fee) $30.00
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
7th Gear

If you were here in California....I'd sell you the car for $32,500 plus taxes/fees..no options... comes to $35,552.54...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Cruisin'

mightyhalo, where are you located
Old 05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
7th Gear

in the LA area
Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
"DEALER CONVENIENCE PACKAGE" as they call it..
Trunk Tray (Acura price 111.00)
Splash Guards (Acura price 138.00)
Wheel Locks (Acura price 50.00)
Clear front end mask (local price $300.00) (dealer price $495.00) and it's not even on the car yet!!!

Dealer math $989.00 (got them to come down to $850)

Their paperwork/handling fees $369.00
Title/registration (CO state fee) $30.00
My math - Most of us got all except the mask free ($0.00) included in the deal!
It cost an awful lot to fall in love with a color combo at the end of a production run. Hope you plan to keep it a long time.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

It wasn't the dealership in Littleton, CO was it? They seemed like they were pretty good to deal with. If your willing to travel my sister works for a Hummer Dealership in Seattle, and she got me a smoking deal on my 08 type S. I'm sure she could get another deal. I got my TL-S for under dealer invoice. If the dealership pulls that crap don't deal with them. Find one that is willing to make the deal and work with you. Your the customer and thats who they should make happy. Flat out tell them, either work with you or your going somewhere else.