Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read Consumer Guide oct. Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtV6
It's sad that we have to bash on our competitors. We should be happy there's competition.

I traded my TL for a 330i. I still love the TL. I do miss the TL somtimes. They all have their pluses and minuses.
Well put, my friend, and I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
330i (w/ Sport pkg, or ZHP) - connects your body to the car to the road. The TL gives you that floating feeling, that's somewhat concerning if you ask me. The Beemer hugs the road, even when it gets bumpy.

If every road was a track w/ flat turns, etc. The TL would be just as sweet, but in the real world of changing roads and road conditions. Nothing beats BMW. It's a fact.

Still, I'm buying a TL.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:15 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Yeah it is an interesting note that the second gen TL's bulletproof engines were made in the USA, but the time-bomb transmissions were from Japan. That alone should tell you it really doesn't matter what country it is.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Yeah it is an interesting note that the second gen TL's bulletproof engines were made in the USA, but the time-bomb transmissions were from Japan. That alone should tell you it really doesn't matter what country it is.

Actually acura is at fault all the way since if they buy from various vendors and do not test the entire assembly. You cannot blame a single country or make such sweeping generalizations. Acura failed to fully test the engine and tranny configuration. Acura as a multinational company that is...

This also was the first 5 speed AT that acura came out with. Or acura is expecting its customers to test the product...
Old 09-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Honestly, I agree that overall TL is a better car compared to a 3 series BMW.
Partly because many things like xenons on high/low beams, leather sport seats, heated seats, moonroof, 17" rims, power passenger seat come as standard features whereas in a BMW they cost extra $$$.
However, one thing why people will choose the BMW instead of the TL is handling. Hands down it kills the TL. I owned a 525i non sport with a 5-speed and it handled much better than a 6-speed TL. Plus is a BMW you don't feel the speed as much as in the TL. Interior is done more conservatively but richer.

One thing though, comparing a 3 series and TL is pointless. TL is the same class as 5 series. 3 series is at best comparable with TSX. Comparing a TL with 5 I guess TL wins hands down mostly because of the price and big engine.

I do understand people buying BMW because of status. Where I come from (Russia) people would most likely get a 2002 530 had they had 35000 (TL there is grey market and costs 70K but that's beside the point)
Old 09-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It does surprise me that someone who owns and likes their BMW would spend time at other enthusiast's websites bashing the other car owners. He must be a bit "small in the pants" and that's one of the ways he has to lash out his frustration. mr drippington, keep it in your pants no one else will be able to see it anyway.

I don't care what other car owners think about our awesome vehicle. I especially don't care that Road and Track gave our car a luke warm endorsement. Every other review I read- and there were many- gave the TL a terrific endorsement. My '04 TL is the funnest, fastest, best handling, best value, most reliable, chock full of electronic toys car, I've ever owned. It's been a joy to drive the 40K miles I've already driven.

I have several friends that have BMWs. I do think that BMWs are better handling and have more comfortable seats- one of my friends has the sports package with his 5 series. One of the big problems with BMW and AUDI for that matter is that they're made in Germany and a comparibly equipped vehicle will always cost a great deal more money. The other problem is that they've become less reliable over the years and the thought of wasting a great deal of time with maintenance isn't appealing to me. I do think the Germans build fun cars to drive, but I'm ecstatic with our TL. Our TL was made to compete with the 5 series, not the 3 series. The 3 series is a tiny vehicle with a tinier trunk. Our car is almost 20K cheaper than it's true competitor- the 5 series BMW.

I just read 6spRUS's post. Yes, the 5 series interior is much more luxurious and does feel "richer" on the inside over our TL. The wood is nicer and finer leather is used. It's not worth 20K more in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6speedRUS
Honestly, I agree that overall TL is a better car compared to a 3 series BMW.
Partly because many things like xenons on high/low beams, leather sport seats, heated seats, moonroof, 17" rims, power passenger seat come as standard features whereas in a BMW they cost extra $$$.
However, one thing why people will choose the BMW instead of the TL is handling. Hands down it kills the TL. I owned a 525i non sport with a 5-speed and it handled much better than a 6-speed TL. Plus is a BMW you don't feel the speed as much as in the TL. Interior is done more conservatively but richer.

One thing though, comparing a 3 series and TL is pointless. TL is the same class as 5 series. 3 series is at best comparable with TSX. Comparing a TL with 5 I guess TL wins hands down mostly because of the price and big engine.

I do understand people buying BMW because of status. Where I come from (Russia) people would most likely get a 2002 530 had they had 35000 (TL there is grey market and costs 70K but that's beside the point)
What? 5 series? The 3 and TL are in the same price range and have similiar features, that's how you compare cars.

How will you compare a 46k 3 series to a 25k TSX? How about a 40k Aspec TL vs. a 65k 545?

Nuts you are.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Beside owning 04TL 5AT, I also own 04 Acura Integra GSR 4DR. My GSR currently has 250,000 miles, I bought it when it had 120,000. Besides minor problem (a little oil leak, needs new cv boots), the car is running fine. I push it to red line once in a while and this car still rocks. Everyone around me advises me to sell this car, but I just love this car. It never gives me many problems since day one although I'm sure this car has been been in accidents prior my ownwership. The big plus is I'm still getting 27-30 miles/galon for mix driving. I could have bought a 3-series, but 3-series is just like euro-civic. If I want to get a brand name, I would probably start with E55 AMG, BMW M6, but too bad, I can't afford one.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Stop the madness!!

A little perspective is needed here, methinks.

In this day and age of killer tsunamis and Hurricane Katrinas, should we really be fighting over something as trivial as Acura TL vs. BMW 3-Series?? Any TL-owner who thinks that a Bimmer isn't a great car is in a state of denial, and 3-Series owners who can't admit that the TL is a damn good product is just being xenophobic.

Let's stop this nonsense and get back to what's clearly more important...

....like bashing Nissans and Infinitis.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shark
Due to where we live, for some of us FWD was a major selling point not a negative. I know it was for me.
right on shark.

i live in ohio like you and I would hate to drive a rwd come january through march around here. reminds me of driving my '79 camaro when i was 16.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shark
Due to where we live, for some of us FWD was a major selling point not a negative. I know it was for me.
Ditto, I would never own a rear wheel drive unless it was my Summer toy (second car), but in that case I would have bought a S2000..
Old 09-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Nobody's Hero

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
I don't care what other car owners think about our awesome vehicle. I especially don't care that Road and Track gave our car a luke warm endorsement. Every other review I read- and there were many- gave the TL a terrific endorsement. My '04 TL is the funnest, fastest, best handling, best value, most reliable, chock full of electronic toys car, I've ever owned. It's been a joy to drive the 40K miles I've already driven.
I totally agree!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:50 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005Aspec
What? 5 series? The 3 and TL are in the same price range and have similiar features, that's how you compare cars.

How will you compare a 46k 3 series to a 25k TSX? How about a 40k Aspec TL vs. a 65k 545?

Nuts you are.

I think you are correct saying car comparisons are based on same price range and similar features. However if you remove the price from the comparison I think the TL and the 5 series are comparable.

If a conventional comparison is done the 3 series would have to be the competition and show the TL's extremely high value. Both companies make fine cars and it's great to have the choice of buying based on their differences.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare rear wheel drive to front wheel drive. Is it fair to compare four wheel drive to two wheel? I guess it depends on what you are looking for or what your trying to accomplish.

Just my opinion!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by mr drippington

the TL is a good car for people who can't afford a 3 series and don't care about driving dynamics
Dude, you can defend the 3 series all you want. I don't have a problem with that at all, but when you try to tell people that they can't afford the 3 series, then you're asking for trouble. Most of the people on this forum, like myself, make over 100 grand a year and own homes as well. I can afford a 545 like neurobob says but I chose to be more practical. I am not a show off like some people. For all we know, you're probably pimping around in a 78 corolla with 18" chromes.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Ahhh, pardom me for interrupting your rant, but many of us here bought the TL because it does more things better than the other cars we test drove... A car, for most people, is not just about taking a corner at 10/10. I'm not going to waste my time with you RE: TL vs. BMW...

But know this, I didn't even consider a 3-series.... not because I can't afford it, but because it's too damn small for my 2 kids and not polished enough for my clients..
I was interested in a 5 series (much better comparison with a TL in size).. I see the 3 series as a "wanna-be" BMW. Why didn't I get the 5 series?? Because the salesman was an obnoxious prick and I simply walked out of his dealership..Oh, and i-Drive is the biggest POS I've ever used!

Oh and by the way, I am 31, own my own business, and my personal draw varies from between 10-12k every 2 weeks based on how much I invoiced.. So I don't think someone who could pay CASH for your little 3 series with only about 6 weeks worth of work is "settling" with a car simply based on $$.. Spending ALL of your money on a depreciating item such as a car is not a wise decision. Some of us have college funds for our children, large homes (BTW - how many sq ft is YOUR home?.. Not your parents, the one YOU pay the mortgage on? or do you rent and put ALL your money into your precious bimmer?)

Please don't come here and insult people who have more going on on their lives than fighting about who's car is better. For a TL owner, the best car is a TL... For a BMW owner, the best car is a BMW.. that's all.

Best part of your rants???? You have so little going on in your life, you come to a Acura board (which you obviously don't like) at 3 in the morning on a (Fri/Sat). Sorry man, but you need a girl. Wise up or you'll be miserable your entire life.
You tell em! Kid probably live in a trailer and pulls it with hi corolla. Get a life!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by nikko
Altough I own a 545 I drove the new 330i quite a few times.
No offence dear TL owners, but in my books, 330i is better in about everything than TL.
Maybe this is the reason why you see by far more bimmers on the road than TLs, I am talking about Toronto area.
Anyway, this is me and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. I am a BMW addicted and there is nothing I can do about it.
Don't get me wrong, TL is a nice car but it doesn't do it for me.
Nikko,
I like the BMW as well. I was looking at the 330xi due to the weather in NE. However, the noise level in the car was too loud for me and they couldn't seem to locate a silver one with navigation. The salesman tried to talk me into an aftermarket versionl
When I saw the navi (all 8"), voice command and Blue tooth, I was BM...what? The features and beautiful features was what drew me to the TL.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Stop the madness!

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
A little perspective is needed here, methinks.

In this day and age of killer tsunamis and Hurricane Katrinas, should we really be fighting over something as trivial as Acura TL vs. BMW 3-Series?? Any TL-owner who thinks that a Bimmer isn't a great car is in a state of denial, and 3-Series owners who can't admit that the TL is a damn good product is just being xenophobic.

Let's stop this nonsense and get back to what's clearly more important...

....like bashing Nissans and Infinitis.

Well said.