Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattles... sorry, i know you dont wanna hear it

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattles... sorry, i know you dont wanna hear it

i'm curious as to wat degree your rattles are. Today my car started having these sounds come from what i believe are my door panels. It doesnt sound like a normal rattle, but rather like static from my speakers. I'm pretty sure its not my speakers because i can still hear them with my speakers off. Are these the rattles you guys are talkin about?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Does someone know where that post was - can't remeber who wrote it, where they described all their rattles and how they fixed it - I came across I think the passenger speaker rattle - only happens on a couple songs, but I think he had fixes, where he found rattle and what he used to fix...sorry I did a search but no luck. Is it the guy with the viking as his icon? Anyway - anybody know...I have been combing this forum all morning. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Instructor

I had similar type rattles in my 323I. I thought it was coming from the speakers but in the end it was the window regulators. Doesn't help you with your rattles on the TL but might be something to mention to the service tech in case its not the speakers.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Slightly off topic, but...

I spent all week trying to figure out where a rattle on the front passenger side of my TL was coming from. My baby had been completely silent for the first two weeks, then...this!

I was getting increasingly ticked off. I finally took the time the other day to check it out in the garage. You know what I found?

My wife had put a comb in the little storage compartment in the door :lol2:

Moral of this story- I won't be obsessing quite so much about rattles in the future...
Old 04-09-2004, 12:47 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The Viking? Is that Norse396?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Team Anthracite Member

yea, he is the one I was thinking of (viking) but I don't think it was his post tho - thought it was. Someone put together a nice list of their rattles and detailed the fixes etc. Nice reference, damn, I can't find it. If anyone knows or remembers the thread please reply.

thanks.

Originally Posted by Lore
The Viking? Is that Norse396?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Instructor

I beleive that post about the rattles, which was a good one is history due to the upgrade that this website went through. I'm pretty sure a lot of old threads were deleted. Maybe a mod can confirm this?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:58 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Try looking in this sub-forum:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62
Old 04-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up To TBone2004

Don't remember the poster but I copied the info 'cause it's good.

'Foam, Dynamat, and felt tape....finding them is the tough part, i usually lightly pound on an area with a blunt fist to get the resonance going, then narrow down where it is coming from, take that area apart, and look for what might be causing it, then insulate or tighten it, what ever is needed. With the clicking noise above driver’s head in the headliner, it is the anchor for the side curtain airbag, so I place foam between the roof (metal portion) and the side curtain bag to minimize its movement and subsequent rattling'
Old 04-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Old 04-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

How is the glove box removed.???

i know the rattle is back there, but i can't reach it. anyone have an idea how to easily remove and replace this thing??
thanks
Old 04-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Rattle Details

Here is the list I posted.

Rattle one, rear deck area, very loud at times, rendered the stereo useless while listening to music. Repair attempts, 3, first they took the deck apart and tightened the retainer for the seat belts, the second time could not duplicate the problem, the third time they tightened something else, but I'm not sure what, the tape they recorded the info on wouldn't play this part. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle two, glove-box area, extreme rattle happened even at idle, repair attempts, 3, first they replaced the clips, then they adjusted the frame, then they replaced the frame, dampener and the glove-box itself. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle three, right rear passenger door, while closing the door it sounded like something had fallen off inside the door. Repair attempts, 1, they found the noise dampening pad had fallen off, which caused a lot of noise, kind of ironic actually. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle four, Moon roof rattle, repair attempts, 1, the wind deflector was rattling, not sure what they did, felt is usually added but I told them that was unacceptable, I wanted something permanent, not a temporary fix that will fall off when the temperature changes. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle five, upper left side of the dash, very hard to figure out where it was coming from. It seemed like the dash pod for the gagues but after 3 attempts it turned out to be the tweeter. They reinstalled the tweeter and tightened up the dash. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle six, A-Pillar area rattles. Repair attempts, 1, They added more insulation to the A-Pillar. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Hope this helps. Since I posted that the glove-box has returned to the same level of rattling it had been doing before which for some reason is extremely loud. Such is life I'm working on it myself tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

10,000 miles and ZEERROOO rattles so far.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Norse396

Rattle one, rear deck area, very loud at times, rendered the stereo useless while listening to music. Repair attempts, 3, first they took the deck apart and tightened the retainer for the seat belts, the second time could not duplicate the problem, the third time they tightened something else, but I'm not sure what, the tape they recorded the info on wouldn't play this part. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle two, glove-box area, extreme rattle happened even at idle, repair attempts, 3, first they replaced the clips, then they adjusted the frame, then they replaced the frame, dampener and the glove-box itself. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle three, right rear passenger door, while closing the door it sounded like something had fallen off inside the door. Repair attempts, 1, they found the noise dampening pad had fallen off, which caused a lot of noise, kind of ironic actually. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle four, Moon roof rattle, repair attempts, 1, the wind deflector was rattling, not sure what they did, felt is usually added but I told them that was unacceptable, I wanted something permanent, not a temporary fix that will fall off when the temperature changes. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle five, upper left side of the dash, very hard to figure out where it was coming from. It seemed like the dash pod for the gagues but after 3 attempts it turned out to be the tweeter. They reinstalled the tweeter and tightened up the dash. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Rattle six, A-Pillar area rattles. Repair attempts, 1, They added more insulation to the A-Pillar. Status, fixed, it was dead quiet on the way home, time will tell.

Hope this helps. Since I posted that the glove-box has returned to the same level of rattling it had been doing before which for some reason is extremely loud. Such is life I'm working on it myself tomorrow.
Damn Norse, what's your VIN? I haven't experienced any rattles -- yet.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Vin 18833...
Old 04-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Banned

Are the later VINs experiencing fewer rattles? Mine is in the 27,000s.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Good question, I dunno.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Instructor

10,000 miles and ZEERROOO rattles so far
You bastard. jk
Old 04-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

10,000 miles and ZEERROOO rattles so far.
Curse curse curse curse......
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Norse396

6500 miles and no rattles until now. I've developed rattle #5 above. VIN # is 10800. Been very happy so far. I'm not upset about this one. Got an appt with the dealer on the 19th to fix the seat memory problem. Said they would fix the rattle also. Started a new poll: Got a rattle/s? What's your VIN#??