Wonderful experience, I hope it's always like this
37.77%
Pretty good experience, could have been smoother
27.04%
Ok experience, that's what I expected from a dealer
21.46%
Not great experience , lots of BS and tricks
10.30%
Horrible experience: I may not buy an Acura again!
3.00%
I never bought a car from an Acura Dealer
0.43%
Other: Use fields below
0%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Rate your car buying experience from the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clair Acura, North Hampton, NH - Absolutely horrible. The salesman acted like a charming, nice old guy at first.

Here's where it goes bad: Our car insurance place was in the process of moving offices when I bought the TL and didn't have their faxes working. My wife offered to fax all the info relating to our insurance coverage. The guy didn't understand one of the papers she sent, called her and reamed her out over the phone. She explained that SHE was the customer, NOT the insurance company (so maybe he'd stop yelling at her). He completely missed the point as to why the customer was sending the fax rather than the insurance company. My wife worked in the same building as the insurance companies old office and was friends with our insurance agent. He yells "You need to get in the 21st century" at her and slams the phone down hanging up on her.

My wife calls the manager and tells them of the unprofessional behavior of our sales rep. He calls me and we eventually agree on a date when I will pick up the car. My wife was at work when I was going to pick up the car, so they said they'd come pick me up for the delivery. Guess who shows up? The asshole salesguy!! I assume he's trying to make nice with me and is going to apologize for the incident with my wife. We end up driving for 45 minutes together without a word being said. Never apologized at all.. never even mentioned it.

He also yelled during negotiations when I asked him what his lowest price was and he came in over $1,500 higher than a quote I had already received from the same dealership over the internet a few days before. I wanted to see if he would give me a better offer before showing the e-mail. When he came in with the high offer and I showed him the e-mail, he flipped out. He bellows "This is why I hate this f-ing shit" so the entire dealership could hear.

Here's what they failed to do for delivery:

- never introduced me to the service staff. (apparently they're suppose to)
- Car had swirl marks all over the paint (which I eventually buffed out with a ton of work)
- didn't explain a damn thing. No walk-through of the car, nothing. He just looks at me and says "You probably know how everything works."
- I later found scuff marks all over the driver-side sill plate (which I didn't notice at delivery time as the sun was setting)
- There are a host of other things that I can't remember right now, but they were duly noted on my questionaire for Acura.

After he fucks up with his crappy customer skills, he basically rushed me out of the dealership because he wasn't man enough to apologize and didn't want to deal with it. It was very awkward and unprofessional.

I will most likely look elsewhere for my next car. I really don't think Acura gives a crap about the responses on the questionaires. I'll never buy a car from Clair Acura in North Hampton again and will probably go with another manufacturer for my next car.

I know this post is somewhat poorly written, but I simply can't remember everything that went wrong, am typing fast, and don't care to proof-read this one. It was basically a collection of many things that ruined the whole buying experience.

EDIT - Holy Crap! I didn't realize this thread was so old!.. Oh well.. Happy reading.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro

the dealer i bought from was wonderful, many of the other dealers are lying sacks of shit.....

one dealer i went to the sales man told me that he needed to sell this car to feed his family in israel. he had pictures of his fat ass kids at their first holy communion (hmmmmm catholic????). And he said he sold all of his stuff except the clothes on his back, and then i see his giant wedding ring that was diamond encrusted and his rolex.

another dealer told me that no one had ever smoked in that car and the smoke smell is like that in all acuras.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura of Springfield

Not so great.
Saleman not knowledgeable.
Dealer Tried to switch color, wanted to raise price if I didn't take one off the lot.
Low ball on trade in.
Delivery papers said 12 miles-- car actually had 50
Not properly prepped:
- 44 lbs air all around.
- Shipping plugs not installed
Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Instructor

The Acura of Pleasanton sales guy tried to convince me to take delivery the next day. When I buy a new car, I want to drive off with it the same #$%& day, and I don't want to hear any lame excuses why I shouldn't ("the detailer left for the day", etc.). He was otherwise knowledgeable and did what he should have, but he was pretty "mechanical" - didn't really give me that warm, fuzzy feeling. He didn't really lick my ass and suck up to me as much as I thought he should, I guess.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:05 AM
Instructor

delaership

Originally Posted by Greg G
I left feeling drained and ripped off. The car sales industry sucks. Too bad Saturn doesn't make better cars.

-Greg
I had a hard time, with the acura dealerships in metro new york. Especially if you are educated with the car and what you want, the dealers here, all try and do some crap with you. And I was paying cash, with no trade in, to foul the situation.
The main problem, is bait and switch. They tell you they have the car, and when you get there, either you "misunderstood them, or misunderstood the price"
Especially with paragon Honda, and they have been long spoken about.
I went back to the dealer (acura of manhattan) who gave me my original test drive on the vehicle. I remembered him, because, I never had a dealer give me such a thorough test drive. I went back to the dealer, not remembering his name, but looked around till I found him.
The buying process was so easy( I purchased a car they already had on order, and not scheduled to be built for about five weeks), and the salesman couldnt do enough for me. Returned every single phone call within a half an hour. And went above and beyond with every concern I had, with a smile on his face, and I know I got a decent deal. His name is Richard Henriquez(not sure on spelling on last name).
He was a gentleman, and I wish everyone who has ever had to purchase a car anywhere, would have such a salesman. Honesty and warmth, and actually listens to you. He could almost read my mind what I was thinking, and gave me none of the usual car salesman bull crap. It was an easy transaction for me, as well as him. He said he appreciates a customer who is well informed, and researched, and is prepared to do business with such a customer. Its amazing how many salespeople, do not even know there own cars. I mean, how many acuras are there, and the salespeople, need to read sales brochures to get answers. Amazing.

Much regards
Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Holy thread resurrection

Lindsay Acura in Columbus. They were awesome from start to finish.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Anky05TL
Got from Open Road Acura, Wayne NJ awfeul people to deal with... full of lies and deciet with no good customer relationship...
Intersting, I just requested a quote from them and they gave me the invoice price
Old 03-15-2006, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

Just bought my new TL from Kearny-Mesa Acura in San Diego, and if your in the area, you might just go somewhere else. First problem was that I paid cash and they insisted I fill out a credit report which i refused. Then we only got the nickle tour of how everything works on the car (10 minutes), so I'm still learning how things work a week later. Then, and this is the good part, they sold it to me without the proper paperwork(no MSO), so when I arrived back in arizona (where I live in Tucson) to register it, I was told i could not even drive it until the paperwork was in my hand. So, I called Kearny-mesa and was told they did not provide the MSO that I needed, and that I would have to licence the car back in California, then transfer it over to Arizona (!) and that would be my added expense. Pretty rediculous... So after many phonecalls and threats to contact my lawyer and to return the car, they finally agreed to get a copy of the MSO to me. I'm still waiting for it as i'm writing this, but hey, the TL looks so good sitting in my garage! NOT what I expected from an Acura dealer anywhere! Oh yea, and what help did the salesgirl give me during this problem? NOTHING! She was not even interested in helping at all, and kept telling me to talk to the management, not her. Way to go Kearny-Mesa in San Diego! Another satisfied customer.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:10 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Bummer
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro

Acura of Westchester - very pleased with the entire process. Salesperson was Anthony. Understood all questions, responded back on phone almost immediately, and spent over 30 mins. just explaining everything in the car.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Lurker

Getting my 04 TL back when TL's were fairly rare was pretty simple. In so many words, "Here's the price...take it or leave it 'cause there are 10 in line right behind you waiting with checkbooks in hand."
Old 03-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Instructor

acura

Originally Posted by khiyal
Acura of Westchester - very pleased with the entire process. Salesperson was Anthony. Understood all questions, responded back on phone almost immediately, and spent over 30 mins. just explaining everything in the car.
Went to acura of westchester, and was treated fairly. Gave me the keys to a tl to test drive by myself. Told me to be back in half an hour or so please.
They couldnt get the color combo I wanted, and said unless I picked a different color they couldnt help me. I wanted , what I wanted, so I had to go elsewhere, and they didnt call me every other day like some other dealers did.
But the general experience there seemed to be top notch. Infiniti of westchester runs their shop very much the same. I think they might be owned by same people.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
First went to Acura Carland in Duluth (atlanta). Very bad experience. The sales person was very dishonest, pushy and not willing to negotiate at all. He also called me one day to tell me that they just got 6MT Navi in. I didn't call back, but looked on the internet and saw that it didn't have Navi. When I went up there again, He showed me the car he was talking about, and when I told him it didn't have Navi, he said "Oh we already sold it". (yeah right). On another occasion he made me give them a $500 deposit just to take the TL home over night and my credit score was well above 750. I got my money back and after he wanted to sell me an '04 for sticker that wasn't even on their lot. That was the last straw. The only reason I went to them in the first place was because it was only 5 minutes from my house and my first two experiences at Voyles were pretty bad. (I guess I just got complete assholes for sales associates these first 2 times)

Then I went back to Ed Voyles and had the best car buying experience of my life. No hassles, no BS, just very simple and painless transaction. The sales person let me take both the auto and manual home to test them out before buying (no deposit at all). I ended up going with the stick. He was very profesional, respectful and was not pushy at all. I remember when they just delivered my car off the truck and parked it in the delivery bay. I was looking at it and one of the asshole sales associates that I worked with previously asked me if he could help me, I told him "nah, I am about to buy this car and I am just looking it over".
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
First went to Acura Carland in Duluth (atlanta). Very bad experience. The sales person was very dishonest, pushy and not willing to negotiate at all. He also called me one day to tell me that they just got 6MT Navi in. I didn't call back, but looked on the internet and saw that it didn't have Navi. When I went up there again, He showed me the car he was talking about, and when I told him it didn't have Navi, he said "Oh we already sold it". (yeah right). On another occasion he made me give them a $500 deposit just to take the TL home over night and my credit score was well above 750. I got my money back and after he wanted to sell me an '04 for sticker that wasn't even on their lot. That was the last straw. The only reason I went to them in the first place was because it was only 5 minutes from my house and my first two experiences at Voyles were pretty bad. (I guess I just got complete assholes for sales associates these first 2 times)

Then I went back to Ed Voyles and had the best car buying experience of my life. No hassles, no BS, just very simple and painless transaction. The sales person let me take both the auto and manual home to test them out before buying (no deposit at all). I ended up going with the stick. He was very profesional, respectful and was not pushy at all. I remember when they just delivered my car off the truck and parked it in the delivery bay. I was looking at it and one of the asshole sales associates that I worked with previously asked me if he could help me, I told him "nah, I am about to buy this car and I am just looking it over".
I ended up getting an 05 for less than what Carland wanted to charge me for an 04.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i remember i went to the lexus dealer to get a lexus 1998 ls400.the people there are crazy tryin to get us to buy it ,the whole dam lot cost more than any other dealers, we try to make a offer but they wont take it. so i went to the acura dealer and got a acura tl 97 and made a good offer the sales man was good gave me a 20 for some gas,no hassle not very pushy,well very detailed bout the car. and gave me the attention that i wanted. as i drove off the lot get back home, next day went to the lexus dealer to tell that guy in his face that i got this car...and he was lookin like a fool of him self cuz i bought a new car..manager came out to see what the comotion about told him that your saleman didnt agree my offer for the lexus ls400,so i bought this acura ..i think they fired his ass,just love lookin at people faces
Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, We did an internet deal from Rosenthal in Gaithersburg,Md. when my old dealer ignored my emails (Laurel Md). I always had great courtesy and communication but held firm to my price and got what I had wanted. Try not to get all enraptured with any car even though its hard not to. They all want to make you think that your pick is the last one or first one on the planet and exclusive. If you treat it like you are buying a can of peas you'll do better. After it was all said and done I think these guys deserve a nod, Alan Eden was my sales rep. QR
Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Instructor

My experiece was pretty good, originally i emailed every dealship in NY, and got the same price from almost all of them. Then someone refered me to a guy named steve and valley stream acura, and i called him one time to do some #'s over the phone. That same day i went into the dealership and within two hours i was back home contract in hand. It was so easy, almost too easy .. he quoted me 400$ above invoice and showed me everything from residual to money factor to invoice and msrp. He clearly stated that i came in at the right time (Feb 28th - Last day of the month) and he gave me a 27 month lease, which for some reason a few other dealerships were not offering.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 PM
VS#03

Park Avenue Acura in Rochelle Park NJ, is the worst. I will never purchase another car from there auto group again. It was the worst experience in purchasing a vehicle. From the sale team to the service dept,,,,,terrible. The only thing that was good was there parts dept, they were helpful.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
Intersting, I just requested a quote from them and they gave me the invoice price
This is my experience with them:
They over charged me for destination charges, when I asked for window sticker for my indurance, they never provided me one... I have to call them 2-3 times to get my Registration papers, finally got it just day before temp expires, they didn't called me I had to call them... and they have big attitude problem specially there Sales Manager he sucks... I am never going to recommend anyone to go there...
Old 03-20-2006, 03:19 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up First Service Experience...

Originally Posted by KJW73
I purchased at Bobby Rahal Acura in Mechanicsburg, PA (about a 15 minute drive from downtown Harrisburg) and corresponded with them via the internet.
Had my TL over to Rahal last week for it's first oil change (3,000 miles) and for the inspection/emissions testing and I was very pleased.

Inspections are free as long as I own the car; however you still pay for the emissions testing. Starbucks coffee in the lounge (a plus!), free loaners, very nice and accommodating staff (e.g. can I do this for you, that for you, open your car door, yada, yada, yada....), and most of all...my car was hand washed, towel dried, sparkling and ready for me to pick up on time (which I wasn't used to with my former Honda dealership).

I felt like a queen for a minute.