Sponsored by:

R&B/Hip-Hop DVD-A

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R&B/Hip-Hop DVD-A

R&B/Hip-Hop DVD-A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone buy R&B DVD-A's like Usher 8701 or R. Kelly Choclate Factory or HIP-hop Outkast-Stankonia? How is the 5.1 surround sound on these albums? This will be my first purchase of dvd-a's. . What is the difference with DTS Audio and regular DVD-A discs?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
8701 is a waste--songs in a minor is good-missy is good-havent found choco fact. anywhere yet. wyclef is very good---however the best dvda i have found so far is (dont laugh!) in the zone it has BY FAR the best production of all the dvda's i've heard so far...

im not rating the content just the production/seperation etc...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deandorsey
8701 is a waste--songs in a minor is good-missy is good-havent found choco fact. anywhere yet. wyclef is very good---however the best dvda i have found so far is (dont laugh!) in the zone it has BY FAR the best production of all the dvda's i've heard so far...

I purchased R. Kelly's Chocolate Factory and if you are expecting the surround sound, the clarity found on the demo CD provided with the TL you'll be highly disappointed.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

where can I get WYclef DVD-r?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro

I have Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales" in dts. It is similar to DVD-A in that it is in 5.1 surround. From that perspective, I can't tell the difference in sound quality between DVD-A and dts, but there must be some subtle differences that I don't know about.

I do agree that in terms of surround sound acoustics and overall quality (not content), I have yet to hear anything as good as the sample disc provided with the car.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by deandorsey

i'm not laughing at all.......cuz i bought "in the zone' today at best buy, and it sounds awesome...makes me want to hit britney that much more........been playing it all day
Old 06-29-2004, 05:30 AM
10th Gear

Don't waste money on Usher DVD-A

The Usher DVD-A is terrible, the CD actually sounds better. Try these: Marvin Gaye Collection, Santana Supernatural, Steely Dan-Gaucho, FourPlay, Outkast Stankonia.

My question is this: Do you wonder if this format is going to last considering the lack of material available. I wish Acura had put a universal player (DVD-A, SACD) in this car.

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
R&B/Hip-Hop DVD-A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone buy R&B DVD-A's like Usher 8701 or R. Kelly Choclate Factory or HIP-hop Outkast-Stankonia? How is the 5.1 surround sound on these albums? This will be my first purchase of dvd-a's. . What is the difference with DTS Audio and regular DVD-A discs?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the Missy E, but not too much surround fun in it. The Linkin Park has a ton of 5.1 effects, I love it. And it was way cool on the Alicia Keys DVD-A.. in a few songs you can hear her back-up singers in the back, the instruments/piano from the two front sides, and her from the center channel, very nice presense in the car.

I also have a 5.1 DTS sampler CD that I found at media play, wow is it toooo damn cool. The first track makes you feel like you're in an IMAX theater.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 AM
SOLD

I love Rap and some R&B, but honestly I think that rock music of any kind will trump these two genres as far as surround usefullness is concerned. The sounds of guitars, drums, and individual instruments will sound much better than the loops rap and r&b frequently use. Although I would really like to hear a 5.1 disc of The Roots, and if anyone has ever listened to them then you know why. They are a hip-hip band that actually plays insturments and raps, they have a slight jazz overtone to their music although they are far from Grover Washington. Intelligent hip hop, not just "n*ggas and b*tches" (sorry to offend anyone), they are innovative and creative. Listen to the album "Things Fall Apart" and tell me you would not like a 5.1. Awesome group!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by varanelli
I have Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales" in dts. It is similar to DVD-A in that it is in 5.1 surround. From that perspective, I can't tell the difference in sound quality between DVD-A and dts, but there must be some subtle differences that I don't know about.

I do agree that in terms of surround sound acoustics and overall quality (not content), I have yet to hear anything as good as the sample disc provided with the car.
I agree, I have Stankonia, Supernatural and The Police Greatest Hits (DTS). On occasion, I am able to discern that the system is taking advantage of the 5.1 surround, but it does not come close to the sample DVD provided by ACURA. They obviously mastered the CD to take full advantage of the 5.1 Surround. Now I am by no means a hard core audiophile, but I just don't think that the DVD-A's that are available out there are truly re-mastered...at least from what I can hear...
Old 06-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by smiranda69
I agree, I have Stankonia, Supernatural and The Police Greatest Hits (DTS). On occasion, I am able to discern that the system is taking advantage of the 5.1 surround, but it does not come close to the sample DVD provided by ACURA. They obviously mastered the CD to take full advantage of the 5.1 Surround. Now I am by no means a hard core audiophile, but I just don't think that the DVD-A's that are available out there are truly re-mastered...at least from what I can hear...
From what I can tell, the Acura demo DVD-A is merely a compilation of existing content availbale in the format, mixed in with that sexy-voiced woman. Anyone have any idea who she is?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

I just picked up the Outkast DVD, its good. I bought the Missy E DVD a while back and I agree with the other review, OK but nothing to write home about.

The best DVD I got for surround sound is the Flaming Lips DVD, the sounds move all over the place. I use it to show off the TL sound system and everyone is simply amazed.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NightRider
I love Rap and some R&B, but honestly I think that rock music of any kind will trump these two genres as far as surround usefullness is concerned. The sounds of guitars, drums, and individual instruments will sound much better than the loops rap and r&b frequently use. Although I would really like to hear a 5.1 disc of The Roots, and if anyone has ever listened to them then you know why. They are a hip-hip band that actually plays insturments and raps, they have a slight jazz overtone to their music although they are far from Grover Washington. Intelligent hip hop, not just "n*ggas and b*tches" (sorry to offend anyone), they are innovative and creative. Listen to the album "Things Fall Apart" and tell me you would not like a 5.1. Awesome group!
I completely agree with you about the roots. They're great and a DVDA of any of their albums would be awesome. I bought their "things fall apart" album the day it came out about 5 years ago or more and its always been in my cd changer. Their "Phreneology" album is in the TL right now.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:14 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Just found this. Old School! Can't wait to hear "The Message" in 5.1!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:33 PM
100k miles club

The Roots in 5.1

Usher 8701 was a waste. should've just stayed with the cd version . bought chocolate factory coz of the lack of r&b experience from 8701 in 5.1, didn't really liked the album :sqnteek: . i was hoping the usher - confessions was available in dvd-a. can't really find much that i like in dvd-a

my wish list include:

michael jackson
new edition
phil collins
stevie wonder
some dancehall reggae

oh well, more waiting game i guess