Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question about Parking Lights....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Question about Parking Lights....

Well, I guess you could say I'm a noob to the 3rd Gen forum.

I recently (tuesday) traded in both my S2000 and my 03 TL for an 05 6MT Navi, NBP/Quartz.

Let me just say, I love this car, and dont regret the deal one bit!

Anyways, onto the question....
I have noticed with the auto off headlights, if you hit the lock button once, the parking lights flash, then come back on untill all the lights go off. Looking at the front of the car with the HID's and no parking lights, I was extremely impressed with how aggressive it looked. Is there a way to disable the front parking lights, but still have them come on with the turn signals?

I know....its illegal, but it's so minor, not many people will notice just seeing the car drive by, especially with the lights twoards the rear of the front fender always on.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent heard of anyone doing that on here.
Clear front Corners, White Front Side Markers, Blinking front Side Markers, SMoked Clear Corners, and I even think a way to turn on the Fogs without having the Headlights on, but never a way to turn OFF the front parking lights.

I would think you would need to figure out a way to kill the power to those lights while the headlights are on, and with something to re-activate said power when your turn signals are on.

Otherwise you would have to find a way to wire in a switch that turned on every light Except the front parking lights. Turn signals of course work with or without lights on.

Do you have the Electrical Guide for your car? You might be able to find a place in there where you could mount a switch that kills the parking lights but still allows turn signals to work. I have the guide, but I'm electrically illiteratewhen it comes to that stuff.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
Is there a way to disable the front parking lights, but still have them come on with the turn signals?
Thanks,
John
not easily...the lites (including the fog lamps that i've been looking to modify) are controlled via a can-bus system involving a computer of sorts....
Old 09-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I was hoping they would just be series of relays(I want to do that fog bypass too).
Old 10-01-2005, 10:10 AM
My Daily Driver

Well, I was able to see what it would look like by pulling the fuse in the underhood box, but unfortunately, the fuse labeled "small lights" kills all the parking lights, including the front and rear sides, and the rear lights.

Now, I know that the bulb in the front is a dual filament, one for the parking, and a separate filament for the turn signals.....wonder if a single filament bulb would work, or if I could somehow figure out how to "burn out" the filament that takes care of the parking light!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Instructor

I been wanting to try this for awhile, and I finally did it today. I made it so the front turning signal lights only turn on when the turn signal is activated. So they are normally off when the headlights are on. There are three wires going to the front parking light. One is ground (black), middle one is white (switching 12V when turn signal activated), the other is red (12V when parking light is on). This is for the passenger side bulb. The driver side bulb has a little different colors. For the passenger side cut the red wire and tape up the endings pretty good. To do this remove the plastic insulation from the wire harness going to the bulb and cut the wire a couple inches away from the bulb. This is just in case you want to reconnect the wire. Then tape up, put the insulation back on, and tape up a little more. For the driver side bulb, there are two red wires and a black wire, cut the red wire on the end. Its good to check with a voltmeter if possible. These were the colors on my 05. Oh yeah remove the bulb through the wheel well and pull the bulb up through the engine compartment to work on it. The final look I am still adjusting to. It looks cool but different. I had already made the front side marker have white LEDs so it matches up nicely. Its gonna look really good when I clear and black out the headlights. The mod is not too hard, it took my like an hour, but I do work with electronics for a living. So if you're gonna do it, and have any questions let me know.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 PM
My Daily Driver

Hey T, I might be in the schaumburg/algonquin area on friday all day.....if I want to do this, could you help me? I will be at a buddies house (s2000 owner) who I still talk to all the time even though I sold my s2! He is actually thinking about getting a TL for his wife, so thats one of the reasons I'm going down there, to show him and his wife.

Otherwise, the only question I have is about your front sides with white LED's. Got any pics? I'd be interested to see how that looks.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Instructor

I don't think I will be able to help you out friday. I live in the city, kinda far from Schaumburg. This mod is really not too difficult. All you need is some wire cutters, screw driver, electrical tape, and a flashlight helps. To remove the bulb, you have to go into the wheel well, the instructions are in the manual. If you have an 05, the colors should be exactly the same. Just be sure to tape up the cut wires really good. If you don't feel comfortable doing things like this, maybe we could set something up on a saturday or sunday.

I dont have my own camera, but I'll try to get some pics up. Here is a thread about the side markers click here
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 PM
My Daily Driver

not a problem man. Im comfortable doing this, just afraid to start hacking up a new car. I took apart the entire front end of my S2 plenty of times, so its not an issue of actually getting there. I just dont want to cut the wrong wires!

Thanks again though!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Just so you know, once you do this mod those bulbs only turn on when blinking. When you turn just the parking lights on, there are no lights on in front. The sidemarkers and taillights still turn on though. There might be some way of wiring a switch in series with the cut wires to have the option of turning them on. I myself leave my headlights on all the time. I'm starting to like the look of having just the HIDs on in the front more and more. Just remember the passenger side bulb cut the red wire, and the driver side bulb cut the red wire on the end. And leave enough wire in case you want to reconnect.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Race Director

Old 10-11-2005, 02:18 AM
My Daily Driver

sounds good.

Thats exactly the plan!

I love how it looks without parking lights in the front...esp the NBP at night!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwmn
... controlled via a can-bus system involving a computer of sorts....

You are the first person who I have ever seen mention the CAN bus that our (a long with a lot of other) cars use for a range of things... I knew about that type of bus from microcontroller stuff I did in college... and I knew it was used extensivley in the TL, which is evident when you go the "Maintenance" mode of the nav system. I just have never seen anyone bring it up before...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by Raheel

I'll try and get some Scans tonight of the pages in the Service Guide / Electrical Guide based on T.Diddy's explanation and get them hosted and posted.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:09 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Alright Bishes, here you go. I got all this from the 04 Electrical Troubleshooting Guide, as it was much better than the tiny bit of info in the Service Guide

First we have the Parking Lights Schematic (Note the only Pins mentioned are 1 and 3 and they connect to H13 and H14)

Next we have the Turn Signal Schematic (Note the pins mentioned are 2 and 3 and they connect to F9 and F20)

So being that 3 is Ground on both, this is a perfect match for T.Diddy's explanation.

Now here are the Left and Right 3 Pin Connector Diagrams

On the other end of those 2 3-Pin Connectors is the Under Hood Fude Box found in the corner of the engine bay closest to the Driver.

Inside the Fusebox we have:

Connector F (as in F9 and F20 from earlier)

Connector H (as in H13 and H14 from earlier)

Beyond that, only the turn signal circuit makes it into the Driver Footwell Fusebox area, because its controlled from in there. The Parking lights are controlled by the Bus Controller when the master light switch is flipped.

So your best bet is to Pop the Under Hood Fuse Box cover and locate / Disconnect H13 and H14. This (at least from the reading and diagrams) seems easier than having to yank the driver side front wheel well cover in order to get to the back of the Front Left Parking/Signal Light. (Instructions for Removing the Wheel Well *should* be in my Side Marker Mod Thread, which is in the 3G Garage, if you would rather go that route)
Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced

This thread is really old but you guys are really doing it the hardest way possible. Heres the solution as its what i did. For starters the front turn signal bulb is a 7443 (dual filament bulb), I tried fitting a 7440 bulb(single filament) but there is little notches on this bulb that needs sanding down, which is very minor but i had a better idea. When you buy the 7443 bulb, break off the two center connection point on the bulb by just bending them back and forth so that the contact point for the bulb in the housing will be only the outside prongs which is the filament for turn signal only. This is for an 04-06 TL because we dont have "bulb failure" warnings, dont know is 07 and up have that. Really old thread but oh well.