Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick comparison to Dodge Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick comparison to Dodge Magnum

I spent the past weekend at the All-Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle, PA. DaimlerChrysler had a display of their Chrysler Group products at the show and I had the opportunity to look over the new Magnum.

My original thought was that if Chrysler didn't have the quality issues they're known for, I'd have considered a Magnum with HEMI and AWD. I never seriously considered it because of their sub-par build quality, but I sat in one at the show this weekend.

My immediate impression was "cheap". Worse than when I sat in a G35 sedan. The plastics were flat (not contoured), and appeared to be made of the same shiny and hard stuff used in American cars through the '80s. The car I sat in had a navigation screen that was tiny compared to that in the TL (1/3 to 1/2 the size).

Fit and finish was unimpressive. The bezels surrounding the power window switches on boths sides of the car didn't fit properly (noticeable gaps), and the switchgear felt cheap. The doors closed with a clatter.

I never drove the car, and it would probably be pretty fun with the HEMI and AWD, but I could never own a car that felt as cheap as the Magnum did, and at a price comparable to the TL. I used my 1993 Toyota Camry as the standard for design quality (it WAS a great car!) and the Magnum isn't even close. The Camry had 103K miles when I sold it to buy the TL, and it was still as solid as a rock. It ran great and didn't rattle, clatter, or squeek.

That said, I'll be very satisfied if the TL holds up anywhere near as well as my departed Camry. The TL is a better drivers car than the Camry, but only time will tell as far as long-term quality.