Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Venture Shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On Venture Shield

I am seriously considering going with a Venture Shield clear hood / mirror bra for my ASM TL. I like the concept and the product and I found someone in my area who is quite experienced and is offfering to do it at a fair price and back the work fully. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. For those running Venture Shield what are your impressions of the product?

2. I plan to Zaino the crap out of this car so it glows much as I have done with all my other cars . That said, I will not be able to zaino under the VS film although I know going over it with zaino is okay? Do you think the difference between the zaino'd area and the non zaino'd area under the VS film will look different enough to look funny as the area under the film won't be as "mirror like"?

I really like the concept of the protection but I just can't get past the whole shine difference thing. Any input is appreciated! TIA .
Old 03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
1. don't know about venture shield, but I assume it's the same product made by 3m. I had "stongard" on the Audi and "road block" on the Acura and I can't tell the difference.

Most people will not know the bra is there unless you point it out to them. Or they will say "man! you got a big ass scratch on your hood" They were very impressed after I pointed it out it's actually a bra.

2. I was told these films are made of urethane, basically the same material the paint is based on. So I was told you can put wax on the bra. Just make sure you get a q-tip to clean up the wax residue around the edges of the bra.

I had the bra on the Audi for about 4 years and people still can't tell it has a clear bra on it. It shines just as well as the rest of the car.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Originally Posted by Boardman
I am seriously considering going with a Venture Shield clear hood / mirror bra for my ASM TL. I like the concept and the product and I found someone in my area who is quite experienced and is offfering to do it at a fair price and back the work fully. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. For those running Venture Shield what are your impressions of the product?

2. I plan to Zaino the crap out of this car so it glows much as I have done with all my other cars . That said, I will not be able to zaino under the VS film although I know going over it with zaino is okay? Do you think the difference between the zaino'd area and the non zaino'd area under the VS film will look different enough to look funny as the area under the film won't be as "mirror like"?

I really like the concept of the protection but I just can't get past the whole shine difference thing. Any input is appreciated! TIA .

I was thinking about going for a clear bra also. What kind of price are you getting?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
10th Gear

I'm curious how this works out for you as I'm considering the same thing. I've only had my TL for a week and a half but she's already got a paint chip on the hood that drives me crazy. I drive a lot so I'm thinking this might be a good idea.

So far though I haven't found a dealer in my area but I'll keep looking.

Is there a big difference between the venture product and the 3m?

-Doki
Old 03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Instructor

I'm actually pretty disapointed Acura and Honda don't do clear Bra's. Lexus dealerships do it.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Yes Venture Shield is made by 3M. Be careful with it tho because over time the Venture Shield film will yellow, but it probably won't be that noticable on ASM. I went with Invisiguard because they have a lifetime warranty against yellowing, bubbles, etc and I've got WDP so can't afford any type of yellowing. Do a search and you'll find lots of info on the different film brands. As far as shine, I use Klasse not Zaino and you seriously can't notice any difference at all. Here check mine out after a Klasse application
Old 03-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry I got it all mixed up. Venture Film is not made by 3M. Venture Film is the one with the lifetime warranty that doesn't yellow and the one on my car. Invisiguard is the name of the shop that installed the Venture Film for me. The 3M film is the one that yellows.

In short Venture Film is great stuff and highly recommended.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Thanks - glad to hear VS is highly recommended as I had it applied to the TL this morning lol! The shop I had it done at recommended VS film over 3M for two reasons - VS is suppose to yellow less and it shows less "orange peel". He actual applied two 12" square sections on the car [one VS and one 3M] and smoothed it and you could see orange peel with the 3m. That said, it was in his shop under florecent lighting which will show every imperfection so maybe in daylight it wouldn't be as pronounced. The lifetime warranty on VS also sold me. I'm happy so far - let's see what time will bring on!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 PM
I slow down for COPS

It is funny to read you comments.

Did you ask the guy about the clearcoat on the VS. Or does it not have any?

Which 3M film did they show you, the High Performance or regular one. Cheap trick...

How long are you planning to keep your car? Most companies offer lifetime warranties because they know that an average person will trade theirs within 3 years. Another cheap trick...

Anyways, whichever product you are getting, they are well worth it.

See ya, Mark.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

Good notes on the difference between the two films.

Mark, are you saying that the high end 3m stuff is equivalent to the venture shield stuff?

I intend to keep my car for a long time and I'd like to select the best of the two now. However, if one yellows in four years I'm not opposed to having it re-done. Putting on a new film is better than a bajillion paint chips from highway debris.

Now if I could only find a place to do the application in west michigan...

-Doki
Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by doki
Good notes on the difference between the two films.

Mark, are you saying that the high end 3m stuff is equivalent to the venture shield stuff?

I intend to keep my car for a long time and I'd like to select the best of the two now. However, if one yellows in four years I'm not opposed to having it re-done. Putting on a new film is better than a bajillion paint chips from highway debris.

-Doki
Some installers will recommend the VS because it is much easier to install.

But the lack of clearcoat is a hugh disadvantage in maintenance. On the other hand it makes it little clearer.

Both good films, though. I was using VS before and had much more problems than with 3M.

Good luck, Mark.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are only a few manufacturers of PPF (3M, Llumar [CP Films], Venture Shield [Venture Tape], Clearshield [Bekaert] and Avery) and 3M is the only manufacturer that has a layer of clearcoat. All of them offer basically the same warranty against yellowing, peeling and cracking and the same protection characteristics. These manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on their products (Llumar and Venture Shield) while Clearshield and 3M offer a 5 year warranty. VS offers two thicknesses - 8 and 15 mil, while the others are 8 mil. You can check this thread for more info about Venture Shield as well as 3M and Llumar. As to which PPF is best, that's up for debate. Most 3rd party vendors use 3M as their choice of film.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

The 3M film is also sold under X-Pel (check clearbra.com)
Old 04-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Here is what I found on a different site. This guy does not recommend the Venture product.

Enpro:
1. Non clear-coat (the vinyl will not get scratched easily) :wrong, scratches just the same but will obsorb road oils that discolor the film in weeks. Scratches can be buffed out but that reduces the thickness of the film thus the protection, but I doubt any of the film will left on anyones car long enough to be a problem.

2. 100% Polyurethane does not scratch easily; resist yellowing: 3M is 100% polyurethane and has UV inhibitors that resist yellowing.

3. Higher puncture strength (21lbs): 3M film is strong enough that the car can get dented without hurting the paint or film...anything else is overkill.

4. Anti-corrosion adhesive: That's nice, but 3M's adhesive has anti-fungal properties that will keep the film from getting a dark fungus that can occur in wet climates or humid conditions.

5. Lifetime warranty : This means you will eventually have to replace every last one...over and over and over...because all you get for the film that went bad is more of the same. That's like buying a car you don't like and trading it in for one exactly like it thinking you will like it better...

6. Extra Tactifiers used to promote quicker adhesion. 3M film sticks instantly already. How is this a benefit?

7. 200% Abrasion Resistance: 200%? How can anything be more than 100% resistant to abrasion? Does it look twice as good if something hits it?

3M
1. Clear coat (the vinyl will get scratched just like on the paint clear coat. That why 3M only guarantees for 5 years) Ha! That's funny! The clear coat, while it can be scratched, protects the polyurethane part of the film. On non-clearcoated film, scratches can go all the way down into the adhesive or paint. Kia offers a 100,000 mile/10 year warranty, Mercedes only 3 year so I guess they must be 300% better cars using your math. I have personally seen 3m film that is 5 years old and it looks better than the rest of the car. I have never seen any Venture film that was over 6 months because I had to replace it with 3m after as little as 3 weeks. There was a company near me that was using 3M initally, they switched to Venture exclusively and in less than a year took down their website, turned off the phone and went out of business because all the cars done with the film needed to be replaced. Now all of his former customers are stuck (literally) with crappy looking film on the front of their cars. Mike, I will forward your email address to them. Since your an Authorized Venture dealer, you are obligated to honor Venture's warranty no matter who did the install or did you not read the contracts you signed?

2. Clear Coat Scratches easily and cause rapid yellowing: The clearcoat does not cause yellowing, this is total BS fed to you Mike by B.W.

The yellowing that did occur on 3Ms early film was caused by a combination of the old adhesive and using slip solutions containing detergent soap. I have never had to replace a 3M film for yellowing since I don't use a detergent soap for my installations.

3. Lower puncture strength (9lbs): Nine pounds is strong enough to withstand impacts that will dent the hood of your car.

4. Standard adhesive; already stated, antifungal adhesive, he's not fully informed.

5. 5 year warranty: Porsche uses the 3M film, so does Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, Ford, VW, Audi....The only people I know that use Venture are taping heating and cooling ducts. Venture's lifetime warranty is there only to grab the attention of less intelligent consumers that would make the assumption that a longer warranty implies better quality. I doubt you will have any customers that will not hold you to your word and want the film replaced after less than 6 months.

6. Standard adhesive; requires alcohol for adhesion : Total BS. Alcohol solutions are used to flush the slip solution out from under the film. The same thing is done with Venture.

7. 100% Abrasion Resistance: 100% is a good as it gets right?

Honestly, I wouldn't use Venture film if they paid me to take it off their hands. The same goes for Llumar's non clearcoated lifetime warranty paint protection films. Worthless in the long run.

My advice to anyone that is thinking about using these films is to do some more research and not take the word of someone that has been spoon fed information from a biased third party manufacturer. Find out how long your installing company has been around. I was doing paint protection film years before Venture or Llumar rushed their untried and untested products to the market, and both films have a 100% failure ratings with my customers.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1083536
Old 04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Props aggie. Excellent 3rd post. Enough to convince me to stay away from this vs stuff.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Funny, my dealership sells clear bras...Ed Napleton in Elmhurst, IL if anyone is in Chicagoland and needing one. I think the price was like $500-600 installed.

I'm hoping to find someone local in Chicagoland that can do one for slightly less though, if anyone has any contacts for anyone please let me know.

Also, on the 3M/products website there lists some installers of their 3M branded product, not sure what locations but there's a quite few in various parts of the country.

Link to 3M's site with the film protectant:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the/Consumer/

Fortunately, they also have links to all of their installers, wish the other film people had the same thing on their mfg. websites! (TAKE NOTE ROCKBLOCKER AND VENTURE, you'd sell a lot more product if you did!!!! )

Here's a link to find an installer in your area:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/
Old 04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by doki

-Doki
Here you go Doki...not sure where you are in MI though, close to any of these?

York Automotive - Certified Installer
Phone: 810-234-9675
Certified Installer(s): Dennis York

Burton, MI 48519
Daily Dents Inc. - Certified Installer
Phone: 810-348-2171
Certified Installer(s): Tom Tyree

Flint, MI 48532
Daily Dents Inc. - Certified Installer
Phone: 810-659-6234
Certified Installer(s): James Minton

Flint, MI 48532
CGM Detroit - Certified Installer
Phone: 734-425-1015
Certified Installer(s): Bob Reid

Livonia, MI 48150
Ameristar Auto Outfitters of Plymouth - Certified Installer
Phone: 313-530-2858
Certified Installer(s): John Losen III

Plymouth, MI 48170
Certified Installer(s): John Losen Jr.

Plymouth, MI 48170
Certified Installer(s): Scott Brock

Plymouth, MI 48170
Certified Installer(s): Gari Levy

Plymouth, MI 48170
Paint Protection Plus - Certified Installer
Phone: 248-761-9194
Certified Installer(s): Larry Millen

Plymouth, MI 48170
Topline USA
Phone: 231-941-0800 Toll Free: 800-968-9800

Traverse City, MI 49684
Paint and Bike Shield - Certified Installer
Phone: 888-884-8468
Certified Installer(s): Greg Young and Steve Wojciechowski

Wixom, MI 48393
Active Shield - Certified Installer
Phone: 734-777-1533
Certified Installer(s): Robert Cirtina

Ypsilanti, MI 48197
12 Matches for Applicators in : MI
Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QUOTE=gqchicago
Fortunately, they also have links to all of their installers, wish the other film people had the same thing on their mfg. websites! (TAKE NOTE ROCKBLOCKER AND VENTURE, you'd sell a lot more product if you did!!!!
FYI, Rockblocker is not a manufacturer of PPF, just a 3rd party vendor who sells and installs pre cut kits using 3M film.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Advanced

I just bought my clear bra from http://www.invisiblemask.com/. They seem to have some of the best prices. http://www.clearmask.com/ does have cheaper, but they charge for shipping and if you live in Texas like I do, they charge a sales tax. Therefore, if you live in Texas, invisiblemask has the cheapest price.