Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question for Trunk

Does anyone feel out trunk is little bit too "light"? Does anyone know if there is a mod for it, so it feels like the trunk from RL or other euro cars?
I hate when I open up the trunk and it close down on my head....
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know where it is stored but I do remember reading awhile back that the trunk has a weight in it. Of course removing it would make it lighter but would cause it not to close on your head . Try searching about the weight in the trunk.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by meowevil
Does anyone feel out trunk is little bit too "light"? Does anyone know if there is a mod for it, so it feels like the trunk from RL or other euro cars?
I hate when I open up the trunk and it close down on my head....
Are you saying that it feels light and not solid like a door that doesn't give that certain thunk sound when you close it instead of a rattling hollow noise?

The trunk has to be somewhat light for the springs to work well and open, but heavy enough to close with little effort. If you feel that it's hollow feeling like a cheap door, you could always add some luxury liner/dynamat on the inside to help it sound and feel better.

If you feel that the springs aren't good anymore, you can buy the upgraded ones that come with the Large Acura Wing spoiler and put those on.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
there are three ways to make it jump higher:

1. Remove the counterweight and decorative trim on the trunk lid. You can remove the trim by just popping out those little clips. Then once off you will see the metal counterweight in the dead center of the trunk lid.

2. Put 303 aerospace protectant on the seal running around the trunk, I find this helps make it pop open higher by .5 of an inch on my TL after a few months of not putting anything on.

3. Upgraded springs, you can buy upgraded springs that come with the TL WING SPOILER, you will need the spring puller tool since the springs have enough tension to break bones.
Just found this post actually from a thread back in 08 csmeance wrote. Please correct me if I am reading this wrong but from the sounds with it closing on your head it seems like you are saying it is too "heavy" not "light". These will help it open up more when you hit the trunk release and also stay open instead of closing on you.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry let me clarify my question(s) Yes, I would like to make it sounds more solid like the door when it close. What do you mean by uxury liner/dynamat? and where should I put them inside the trunk?
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
I think these are the upgrade you talking about. However, I would like some fee back from anyone who upgraded their springs.
Lastly, I was wondering if we can mod our TLs' trunks to like BMW or other European car. I mean you have to put effort to open and close it. (it has a solid feeling to open or close it)

Originally Posted by csmeance
Are you saying that it feels light and not solid like a door that doesn't give that certain thunk sound when you close it instead of a rattling hollow noise?

The trunk has to be somewhat light for the springs to work well and open, but heavy enough to close with little effort. If you feel that it's hollow feeling like a cheap door, you could always add some luxury liner/dynamat on the inside to help it sound and feel better.

If you feel that the springs aren't good anymore, you can buy the upgraded ones that come with the Large Acura Wing spoiler and put those on.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like how light feeling the trunk lid is. It closes effortlessly once the pivot point is reached. That type of design doesn't happen by accident and to me it just makes me feel that much better about how much thought and attention to detail went in to the vehicle but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by meowevil
Sorry let me clarify my question(s) Yes, I would like to make it sounds more solid like the door when it close. What do you mean by uxury liner/dynamat? and where should I put them inside the trunk?
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
I think these are the upgrade you talking about. However, I would like some fee back from anyone who upgraded their springs.
Lastly, I was wondering if we can mod our TLs' trunks to like BMW or other European car. I mean you have to put effort to open and close it. (it has a solid feeling to open or close it)
If you want a heavier lid that makes a better sound when closing, adding some some weight from sound deadening will make it a bit better.

You can apply dynamat, Damplifier Pro (from second skin audio) or luxury liner to the inside of the deck lid.