Question for those of you who ordered their TL.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004 | 11:31 AM
Advanced

Question for those of you who ordered their TL.

How long from the day you gave the $500 deposit till you received a build date?

How long were you quoted to have the car delivered initially?

I placed an order for my TL the week after Memorial Day and was told that it should be here by the 15th of July. Well, as of today I have yet to receive any build info from the dealer.

Old 07-07-2004 | 11:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Havok423

I placed an order for my TL the week after Memorial Day and was told that it should be here by the 15th of July. Well, as of today I have yet to receive any build info from the dealer.

Well, let's see. I ordered around the last of January, my sales person said to expect delivery around the last of March. It came in March 31. Based on the color I got, I expected a long wait.
Old 07-07-2004 | 11:40 AM
Instructor

WOW! I'm not sure what to tell you other than I would be a little pissed off if I was you! I was told 60-90 days to order one and have it shipped and delivered! Did you get the navigation or what? Otherwise the regular models are a dime a dozen where I live. Anyhow, that is totally unacceptable. You are the consumer which in turn keeps them in business! Not to mention that word of mouth advertising is the best kind, and if they screw you over for lack of a better term than in turn they are hurting the public's perception of them as well! Just my 2 cents!
Old 07-07-2004 | 11:42 AM
Advanced

Thanks! I didn't think getting an unusual color would cause much of a delay (it wasn't mentioned when I selected it).

I ordered the RRP/Camel 6MT w/NAV. I mean, why the delay? If it is an order it shouldn't take any longer to build...or am I just getting 1st dibs on the 1st one the factory spits out like what I ordered?
Old 07-07-2004 | 11:52 AM
Instructor

Not sure, but, I would call the sales manager and raise a little hell and find out WTF is going on with your car and your $500 deposit as well.
Old 07-07-2004 | 01:06 PM
Intermediate

From the time I put down the $500 deposit (around the first week of March), I was told that the car would be delivered at the end of the month...which in my case...it was. I have the 5AT, NBP with Ebony Interior and NAVI.
Old 07-07-2004 | 01:26 PM
Advanced

OK...should there be a record of the order if I demand it?

I put down the deposit and got a "buyers order" sent to me. I signed it agreeing to terms of an order (and amended the terms to better protect me). It was on this order that the anticipated delivery date of July 15th was mentioned.

But I've since asked for proof of a placed order in the Acura order system and they've been either unwilling or unable to produce it. They claim that they can't produce such order tracking until a VIN# has been assigned.

I ordered a truck from Ford last year and they were able to show me the order entry (print screen) right away showing that Ford did indeed receive the order. Should I be able to get the same thing from the Acura dealer?

I'm worried that they might have sat on the order or were hoping they'd simply be able to trade for it and get one in by the 15th of July and don't know what to do...
Old 07-07-2004 | 01:47 PM
Drifting

I placed my deposit end of March, dealer made the order last week of april. Dealer told me it would be in end of June, then said it would be delayed 3-4 weeks. The particular color combo is too scarse in my area, no way to swap, they're all spoken for, and they never had an allocation, they placed the order and are waiting for the factory to begin its wdp/navi/6 productions. My friend just picked one up in the area but it is an auto, so it is safe to say my 6mt is being built within the next week or so. He only had to wait a month because his dealer had one on order for their inventory. In other words its all about timing, weather the dealer had the car coming regardless or they had to put in an order specifically for you, and how far off your order is from scheduled production of the color combo.
Old 07-07-2004 | 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

No one "orders" an Acura. The dealer is told by Acura how many cars and with what options and colors they'll receive each month. The dealer keeps a list of customer orders and matches it up to incoming cars they are receiving. So if you want a Black/Black/6MT/Navi and you're first on the list, someone waiting for Silver who is number five could get their car before you do based on what the dealer receives. Most car companies allow dealers to customer order cars, Acura does not. At no time does Acura assign a specific customer to a specific car bound for a dealer and there is no way other than through the dealer to know where you stand on the order list. They use this process to keep their costs down.
Old 07-07-2004 | 02:47 PM
Advanced

Wow...I feel a little misled...

They told me I was "ordering" a TL. So i guess that is how they were able to anticipate a July 15th delivery. They were working off the information they had suggesting they would get one in around that time...

This sucks...
:shit:
Old 07-07-2004 | 03:16 PM
Racer

I received a build date the day I placed my deposit. I placed a deposit 5/4 and was told my build date was 6/19-6/23 and that the car should be here by end of June. Car arrived June 22. Ordered car was AM, 6MT, Navi.
Old 07-07-2004 | 03:26 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Yeah, they should have a sheet with the build dates about a month in advance. When I put my deposit down on the first week of June, I was given a build date of 07/28/04 and an estimated delivery of about 2-3 weeks after that.
Old 07-07-2004 | 03:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BarryH
No one "orders" an Acura. The dealer is told by Acura how many cars and with what options and colors they'll receive each month. The dealer keeps a list of customer orders and matches it up to incoming cars they are receiving. So if you want a Black/Black/6MT/Navi and you're first on the list, someone waiting for Silver who is number five could get their car before you do based on what the dealer receives. Most car companies allow dealers to customer order cars, Acura does not. At no time does Acura assign a specific customer to a specific car bound for a dealer and there is no way other than through the dealer to know where you stand on the order list. They use this process to keep their costs down.

So if they dont get my color combo then my only hope is that they swap one from another dealer sooner, or wait even longer until Acura finally decides to give them one? Been waiting nearly four months already should I go to another dealer?
Old 07-07-2004 | 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
So if they dont get my color combo then my only hope is that they swap one from another dealer sooner, or wait even longer until Acura finally decides to give them one? Been waiting nearly four months already should I go to another dealer?
To speed up the assembly process, Acura used to build cars in batches. They'd do a run of certain colors and certain configurations. I don't know if they're still doing it or not. The biggest problem with the order process is that it allows greedy less ethical dealers to sell incoming cars to the "highest bidder" instead of giving them to those on the dealers list. In other words, if someone offers $500 more for an incoming car than you offered, there's nothing to prevent the dealer from selling it to them. Acura also uses the allocation process to reward good dealers and penalize bad ones. The volume a dealer produces also effects the number of cars they receive. If you've been waiting for four months, one or more of the above is probably at play.
Old 07-07-2004 | 04:00 PM
10th Gear

I put in my order July 1. The build date is supposed to be 7/29 and they said allow 10 days or so for it to ship. I gave them the deposit on 7/1. I guess your wait depends on color. I had my heart set on Anthracite, but it wouldnt be built until 9/21! So I went with Black instead.
Old 07-07-2004 | 05:14 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Originally Posted by Havok423

Order date was May 18, 2004. And My car is being built today, July 7, 2004. By my reckoning that is 1 month and 19 days.

I was quoted no the sales contract a delivery date of mid-july. So thats right on time.

Depending on what car you got, Color, Transmission, Navi?, determines in what lot it will be built. If they go past the date promised then you have a right to be upset. Make sure they know you are upset. Other than that there is not much you can do. Call other dealers try to find your exact car on the lot somewhere. Otherwise just sit tight and wait for that sweet TL to come rolling in.
Old 07-07-2004 | 07:20 PM
Intermediate

I had to put $1000.00 down. As of 6/01/04, it was suppose to take "30 days, but could be as long as 60", and that they would call me about 2-3 weeks ahead of time when they found out the production date of the car (anth/qtz/nav/man). They haven't cashed my check, and I haven't heard from them yet. (San Diego area)
Old 07-07-2004 | 10:18 PM
Red line...use it

The way I did it, was look through the dealers list of incoming cars. It showed me what was coming and the build date. It was between Anthracite and Silver. The Anthracite was being built in 1 month, and the silver was 2.5 months out. I took the Anthracite. Lucky I guess (Anthracite,Ebony, 6sp,Navi). I think they would have ordered for me. They would take what I wanted and put it in as their regular order they do every month. Should be built in 3 days, then delivery by the 20th. I hope so, I am living vicariously through the board!! I need my Car.