Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Seat Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Seat Height

First off - this is a great forum. I've been lurking for a bit.

I recently narrowed my search down to the TL, G35x and 325xi. I test drove the TL and G35x back to back last week. I am strongly favoring the TL and have already gotten good price quotes. The issue is that my wife is 4' 11" and she has sat in the car a couple of times, but can't get herself comfortable with the seating position heightwise. Meanwhile, she feels like she fits well in the G35x and the 325xi. This is not a new problem for us. She drives a '01 MDX, but that was the only Acura that she has ever been comfortable in. As much as this will be my car, she will still be driving it a bit, so her fitting is a big deal. She has joked about my having to get her a real nice pillow to sit on. Not my idea of a good solution.

For those who say go with the G35x, I will note that I really want a G35 coupe, but can't justify it with 2 young kids and living in the Northeast. I don't know if I could live with myself knowing that I would be settling for a 4 door x, when I really wanted the coupe. Meanwhile the TL brings a lot to the table that the G35 doesn't - especially in the interior. Also - the looks of the 4 door G35 do nothing for me. As to the 325xi - the value just isn't there when its outfitted right.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the wife height issue?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:00 AM
BOOK EM

I can imagine how you wife feels sitting in the passenger seat. I`m 5-10 and still feel that seat is too low.Why they never put an adjustment for the passenger is crazy. Driver side seems ok. At least for my height anyway.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Assuming you're referring to the passenger seat, I agree, lack of seat cushion angle/height adjustment is an odd place to skrimp in a $35K sedan. I referred to it as 'peanalty box seating' in an earlier posting.

Presumably the seat could be raised via spacers inserted where frame bolts to floor, but proper attachment is so critical to crash safety I wouldn't attempt it.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

To clarify, I'm talking about the drivers seat. Even using all the adjustments available, she can't get to a comfortable enough height with adequate distance from the steering wheel. I've found that there are a number of car brands that just don't accommodate the very short driver. Unfortunately, Acura (excepting the MDX) has been one of those. I'm 5'7" and have no problem, but my wife at 4'11" does.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Have you adjusted the telescopic steering wheel for her? My wife is about 5' 0"" and never said anything on the driver side but did complain about the passenger side though.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:27 PM
10th Gear

The issue is more related to height of the dash in front of the driver and the slope of hood - so that she basically can't see enough of the hood when she's driving. As a result, she doesn't feel that she can safely drive the car. The problem with distance from the steering wheel is less of an issue. In some cars, for her to reach the pedals, she would be too close to the wheel. That issue alone has x'd out a lot of cars for us in the past. The G35x moving pod is a helpful solution, but in that car the height of the dash and seat height wasn't a problem to begin with.

Help! I am hoping that this issue doesn't eliminate the TL for us.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also find the TL's forward visibility less than stellar. I'm 6' and I have the seat height almost all the way up. I would much prefer driving in a lower position, especially since I'd be able to see the gauges better with the wheel tilted down, but then I can't see over the front of the car at all. It's a weakness of the car IMO, but not one that bothers me since I can adjust the seat up.

But your wife probably can't get it high enough to feel comfortable when she's driving it. And that may turn out to matter far more than anything else you're considering. Keep your kids safe and your wife happy, get the car she feels she can drive safely. Tell her she has to make it up to you in some other manner - sex, something you get to buy for yourself, whatever works for you two!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:08 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by CCreek
The issue is more related to height of the dash in front of the driver and the slope of hood - so that she basically can't see enough of the hood when she's driving. As a result, she doesn't feel that she can safely drive the car. The problem with distance from the steering wheel is less of an issue. In some cars, for her to reach the pedals, she would be too close to the wheel. That issue alone has x'd out a lot of cars for us in the past. The G35x moving pod is a helpful solution, but in that car the height of the dash and seat height wasn't a problem to begin with.

Help! I am hoping that this issue doesn't eliminate the TL for us.
my mom is 5' 1" and she uses seat pillows on her seats for her crv. that might give your wife more height on the seats. the TL steering wheel is also telescopic so she can pull the steering wheel closer to her as well.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Instructor

A quick reply. I can offer little help, but I am presuming she raised the seat as high as possible. My guess is that is has to do w/rear visibility and relatively high door frames. BUT, I, too, have two kids (mine are 3.5 and 1) and they fit really easily in the back w/car seats and stuff. I "sized" the car for them, roughly, when I was shopping, and it turns out to be roomier than I expected (which is a huge bonus.) They just love the TL, too!