Question for the peeps with 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010 | 07:17 AM
Instructor

I use the paddle shifters almost exclusively on my TL-S. (Yeah yeah, I should have looked for a 6MT, but my wife needs to be able to drive this car.)

Coming from a long-time MT driver, I have to say, the paddle shifters work very well. The shift response is better than most manumatics I've driven, they hold the gears well, and the downshift rev-matching is quite nice.
Old 06-12-2010 | 09:32 AM
Banned

I have yet to try the SS. I'm gonna try it today. LOL
Old 06-12-2010 | 10:04 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Souljah
stop joking
No joke haha.

Just got the car a month ago, also.
Old 06-19-2010 | 12:37 PM
2006 6spd

yall dont thin using the ss will end up messing up the transmisson in the long run? thats the only reason i barely ever use it
Old 06-19-2010 | 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TL Luver
yall dont thin using the ss will end up messing up the transmisson in the long run? thats the only reason i barely ever use it
It won't mess it up, afterall, the only thing that's changing is that you're telling it when to shift instead of the computer. The only thing to keep in mind is harsh downshifts (going from 5th to 2nd at 6,500rpm) put a little more wear on the clutches and you only get a certain number of shifts until it's worn out. If you're shifting it more times in a day than the computer normally does it will wear quicker. If you shift it less, it will wear out slower.
Old 06-19-2010 | 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It won't mess it up, afterall, the only thing that's changing is that you're telling it when to shift instead of the computer. The only thing to keep in mind is harsh downshifts (going from 5th to 2nd at 6,500rpm) put a little more wear on the clutches and you only get a certain number of shifts until it's worn out. If you're shifting it more times in a day than the computer normally does it will wear quicker. If you shift it less, it will wear out slower.
if it wears out how much would you estimate the repairs to be around? what would most likely end up needing to be replaced?
Old 06-19-2010 | 02:02 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Most of the time I'm in D. I will use sport shift when I need to lower my speed quickly. When I get an urge to shift my own gears, I drive my '03 Civic.
Old 06-19-2010 | 03:40 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I leave it in D.
Some jerk off in an E550 was zipping around traffic while I was in the middle lane. Well as he was flying up traffic was slowing down especially on the right lanes and he was passing on the right.

I moved over one lane to the left and proceeded to pass he swerved to avoid the cars stopping on the right and then cut right in front of me. A carpool lane was opening up on the far left and LoL I actually thought of this thread and threw it in SS mode.

Put the car in third got a jump on him and passed him up. He was behind me the whole time, but I moved over because while I may drive above the speed limit I try my hardest not to be reckless.

It was fun and all, but I realize why I leave it in D. Controlling the shifts is cool, it just will never replace the feeling of a clutch and choosing your gears.
Old 06-19-2010 | 05:10 PM
Intermediate

I drive my Miata when I want a manual tranny. The TL's 5AT is nicely executed. Admittedly there are days when I wish I had the 6MT, but as others have stated, I'd prefer to see that in a coupe. Likely my next car will be a G37 Coupe with a manual tranny.
Old 06-19-2010 | 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ionojimbo
if it wears out how much would you estimate the repairs to be around? what would most likely end up needing to be replaced?
This is a standard transmission rebuild. Worn clutch packs are the number one reason for getting a trans rebuild. This is what's doing the slipping in it's final days. Like all machinery, they have a set life. The TL has a finite number of shifts in it and after that it's time for a rebuild. My main point earlier was you're probably not going to shorten the life of the trans shifting manually as long as you're smart about it.

Everytime you take off from a light, get up to 55mph, and stop for the next one, that's 8 shifts. Just don't go up, down, up, down over and over. You will prematurely burn it up. Each shift produces heat. A couple times in a row is fine but it needs time for the fluid to dissipate the heat out of the clutch packs.
Old 06-19-2010 | 06:48 PM
Instructor

not to sound stupid but how do you use that thing?
Old 06-19-2010 | 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
I leave it in drive all the time unless I need a little something extra to make a quick pass- in which case I'll downshift. I got a 5AT because I didn't want to have to bother shifting gears on long commutes in rush hour traffic. If I ever get another manual it will be on a real sports car where I can have some fun with it... I don't feel it's necessary for me on a luxery-sport sedan. I got the car for it's comfort and convenience.
+1

I switch over and downshift if I need to pass someone right quick.
To me,
it's a luxury sedan, so it should be auto.