Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:36 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Parchment and Camel interior

Old 06-16-2004, 12:37 PM
7th Gear

Do you think the black dash is too great a contrast to the parchment and camel interior color interiors?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by dpolich
Do you think the black dash is too great a contrast to the parchment and camel interior color interiors?
yes, just my opinion tho. Too busy in there -wood, parch, black, silver etc. Went with the ebony cause it all blended IMO.

My 02 TL is parchment tho and it looks good. (not much black tho)
Old 06-16-2004, 12:50 PM
SOLD

ALthough I like the camel better, the above dash(black) and lower dash(camel) don't blend well. I would have liked to see either more wood or aluminum, wood for me but take your pick. The interior looks very hi tech and up to date, but could still be changed for the better in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the black dash w/ Parchment, including wood & aluminum trim, looks great. That was my interior choice, but I really wanted the Anthracite exterior so it wasn't an option. Don't know about the Camel. Never really considered it.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In My ABP the camel makes a gorgeous contrast. Everyone that grabs a ride loves the color conbo
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I like the contrast. The interiors of so many cars now are way too monotone bland.....yet, on the other extreme, I really don't care for those cars with the wildly colored seats (like those black and red numbers in the RX-8). I think Acura hit a pretty solid balance. Just my .02
Old 06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Acura has been offering black dashes atop camel leather since its inception in 1986, so clearly if there was a negative reaction they would have discontinued it way before now.

Keep in mind that there are heaps of black plastic all over the dash (gauge cluster, radio, climate, etc) so the black dash simply 'anchors' that section. When I glance at a TL interior I see black and camel in a nice balance.

BJ
Old 06-16-2004, 01:53 PM
team wdp rescue

have the parchment.....dont find it busy at all........everything is very pleasing to the eye......its a nice contrast! go with what visually appeals to you.....but I sure wouldn't say the black clashes...not in the least.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dpolich
Add black all season floor mats and it balances out the black dash.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Brucer
Add black all season floor mats and it balances out the black dash.
I'm getting black headrests and black rear-speaker covers as well....it's going to look mint.

BJ
Old 06-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '02 TL-S was ebony interior and my '04's parchment looks so much richer. The Ebony does make the interior look sportier. Depends on what look you want. PArchment is substantially cooler now that we are in the 90's.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Racer

I have a problem with the aluminum and parchment. The black, parchment and wood (though the wood is too light) are ok, but they really don't go with the aluminum. I'm not sure more wood in place of aluminum would help. All that with the blue lighting makes me want a quartz interior, which I find a little boring. I'll probably end up with an '05 SSM with Quartz. We'll see. I really like the Desert Mist (I know, its only 3% of Tl's) but I can't get over the aluminum with the parchment!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by MyJohnson
I have a problem with the aluminum and parchment. The black, parchment and wood (though the wood is too light) are ok, but they really don't go with the aluminum. I'm not sure more wood in place of aluminum would help. All that with the blue lighting makes me want a quartz interior, which I find a little boring. I'll probably end up with an '05 SSM with Quartz. We'll see. I really like the Desert Mist (I know, its only 3% of Tl's) but I can't get over the aluminum with the parchment!
After owning the car for a few months the aluminum sort of becomes invisible to you. The quartz interior just looks cheap. No credit for luxury or leather. Looks like a Mustang.

I've owned many types of Acura/Honda interiors, and to summarize:

Ebony - Too dark. Looks great for the first six months, looks awful the last thirty. Dust, cracks, fading....all very apparent after the first 5k miles.

Parchment - Too light. Classy and handsome, wealthy and sophisticated, shows grime too quickly. Carpets a nightmare. Constant cleaning required.

Quartz - Dull. Lacks contrast....too vague. No matter how many people sit in a quartz interior, they'll all think it's vinyl. Only when you point out that it's leather do they say "oh, really?". Think rent-a-car neutral.

Camel - Just right. Classy and handsome like Parchment, but darker so the dirt isn't as prevalent. Not dark and moody like Ebony. Not Avis like Quartz.

BJ
Old 06-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Black over Camel the best!

Originally Posted by boltjames
Acura has been offering black dashes atop camel leather since its inception in 1986, so clearly if there was a negative reaction they would have discontinued it way before now.

Keep in mind that there are heaps of black plastic all over the dash (gauge cluster, radio, climate, etc) so the black dash simply 'anchors' that section. When I glance at a TL interior I see black and camel in a nice balance.

BJ
I absolutely agree with Boltjames. My black over camel is drop dead gourgous. Everyone comments! Much richer looking than the beige parchment IMO.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
IMHO, the ebony is the best interior as the black all around is beautiful. Anything else is just okay.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

I love my quartz interior, and everyone who sits in the car, or even looks in the car absolutely loves the color combination. To each his own, but to call the quartz a "Ford Mustang" or "rental car" color is pretty ignorant. The lighter grey leather is common in Mercedes, BMW, and many other luxury cars. Why not compare it to them?

People are so biased about this type of thing. When somone knocks the quartz color, they are basically insulting people who chose it. Why would someone want to do that? To make themselves feel better about themselves? I don't really know what's up with that.

Anyway, just get what you like. If you don't like quartz, so be it. Just don't be such a dick about it. :fingerfawk:
Old 06-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Instructor

answer: NO. It's great we have choices as this is so subjective. Or we could go back to the Model T and have one choice.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by acuraddict
I love my quartz interior, and everyone who sits in the car, or even looks in the car absolutely loves the color combination. To each his own, but to call the quartz a "Ford Mustang" or "rental car" color is pretty ignorant. The lighter grey leather is common in Mercedes, BMW, and many other luxury cars. Why not compare it to them?

People are so biased about this type of thing. When somone knocks the quartz color, they are basically insulting people who chose it. Why would someone want to do that? To make themselves feel better about themselves? I don't really know what's up with that.

Anyway, just get what you like. If you don't like quartz, so be it. Just don't be such a dick about it. :fingerfawk:
I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey that's Silver with the Quartz interior.

I have owned a 2000 RL that was Silver with the Ebony interior as well as several Legends with Camel / Parchment interiors so I think I'm quite able to speak authoritatively on a decidedly subjective topic.

Quartz leather looks attractive and hides dirt well, but the reality is it is the most un-natural looking leather choice in any Honda product and for good reason- cream and black colored leathers are 'natural'. Grey colored leathers are not. When I see a Benz or a Bimmer with a Quartz interior I immediately assume it's real leather because (after all) the owner is driving a Mercedes or a BMW. The Acura with Quartz is not the same thing because (after all) it's an Acura.

When you drive the most 'budget' oriented luxury car, all luxury features are up for immediate misinterpretation. Is the wood real? Is the leather real? Are those authentic xenon headlights? Does it have a Bose audio system? Etc etc.

Quartz doesn't help with the misperceptions....

BJ
Old 06-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Racer

My problem is I like the Camel but I don't like dark cars and can't get the camel with WDP, SSM (wouldn't want it but like this exterior color) and Desert Mist. I don't like the Anthracite on this vehicle (love similar color on the Z4) and I don't want a dark color on the outside or inside. If I lived up north (Cleveland, where I'm from) I'd consider black exterior with camel interior, but I wish it was another choice with WDP.

I now live in lower Alabama near Florida and a dark car is hot as hell. I think the lighter colors bring out the exterior of the TL much better, expecially the SSM and Desert Mist.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey that's Silver with the Quartz interior.

I have owned a 2000 RL that was Silver with the Ebony interior as well as several Legends with Camel / Parchment interiors so I think I'm quite able to speak authoritatively on a decidedly subjective topic.

Quartz leather looks attractive and hides dirt well, but the reality is it is the most un-natural looking leather choice in any Honda product and for good reason- cream and black colored leathers are 'natural'. Grey colored leathers are not. When I see a Benz or a Bimmer with a Quartz interior I immediately assume it's real leather because (after all) the owner is driving a Mercedes or a BMW. The Acura with Quartz is not the same thing because (after all) it's an Acura.

When you drive the most 'budget' oriented luxury car, all luxury features are up for immediate misinterpretation. Is the wood real? Is the leather real? Are those authentic xenon headlights? Does it have a Bose audio system? Etc etc.

Quartz doesn't help with the misperceptions....

BJ
I appreciate the back-pedaling, but if the premise of this post is that its not OK to put grey leather in an Acura, but its OK to put grey leather interior in a german car because its a more expensive car, and therefore the average person walking by or driving by will know that the car will therefore have real leather, then the only response I can think of is, Who Cares What People Think???? Who are you trying to impress? Are you serious? Is that whats important here? Did I miss the part where we are all buying this car so that other people will be impressed?

I hope the guy who posted this thread is reading this...

Get the color scheme that you like best. Get the one you won't get sick of, the one that won't get dull looking, the one that won't bother you if it looks dusty, the one that won't bother you if every scuff and wrinkle is noticeable...just go with your gut and don't listen too earnestly to the opinions on this website. THEY ARE ALL BIASED, AND THEY ARE ALL COMING FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO TELL YOU THAT THEIR COLOR CHOICE IS THE NICEST.

On the other hand, if you just want to get the most popular color, just get Athracite with Ebony and call it a day.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
SOLD

I have a NBP with Parchment (that I just had an accident in yesterday at lunch BTW). I chose this combo because I think the contrast of colors is great. Dark exterior on light interior. I think any contrast in colors like this looks great on a car. I was also contemplating SSM/Ebony for this same contrast. To me, the Ebony is this and most cars seems to be shooting for the "sporty" image. Since this car's exterior already looks sporty, I figured I would go with the "luxury" looking interior since the light leather comes with wood. From my point of view I saw sporty exterior with luxurious interior the reason I picked NBP/Parchment. If you want a sportier looking interior, get Ebony or Quartz, but the contrast thing is a great look. Truthfully I would have gotten the CAMEL interior, which is more representative of a Porsche leather color , but I would have had to wait another month or two....NO. Just my views.....
Old 06-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by acuraddict

I hope the guy who posted this thread is reading this...

Get the color scheme that you like best. Get the one you won't get sick of, the one that won't get dull looking, the one that won't bother you if it looks dusty, the one that won't bother you if every scuff and wrinkle is noticeable...just go with your gut and don't listen too earnestly to the opinions on this website. THEY ARE ALL BIASED, AND THEY ARE ALL COMING FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO TELL YOU THAT THEIR COLOR CHOICE IS THE NICEST.

On the other hand, if you just want to get the most popular color, just get Athracite with Ebony and call it a day.
The OP only wanted to know if the black dash looked nice against a camel or parchment interior and he's gotten his answers. The rest of the thread took on a different life where owners are voicing their opinions. You're the only one that seems to be upset here, so why participate in a thread where your only contribution is to scold others for voicing their admittedly biased point of view?

I've owned all the interior options. My opinions are very factual.

BJ
Old 06-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The OP only wanted to know if the black dash looked nice against a camel or parchment interior and he's gotten his answers. The rest of the thread took on a different life where owners are voicing their opinions. You're the only one that seems to be upset here, so why participate in a thread where your only contribution is to scold others for voicing their admittedly biased point of view?

I've owned all the interior options. My opinions are very factual.

BJ
No, actually he's not the only one that is upset here. You were (as usual) tactless in your assessment of the Quartz interior, and as was mentioned earlier there are lots of us who chose that color, enjoy it, and don't need to hear you pontificate about it. As you state, the OP only asked about Camel and Parchment.

At least I was gracious enough in my earlier response to say I couldn't comment on the Camel because I wasn't interested in it. Taking a cue from you, what I really should have said was... I thought it was a sickening yellow color. If that's a "natural" look for leather, I've missed a few episodes of National Geographic.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by dseag2
No, actually he's not the only one that is upset here. You were (as usual) tactless in your assessment of the Quartz interior, and as was mentioned earlier there are lots of us who chose that color, enjoy it, and don't need to hear you pontificate about it. As you state, the OP only asked about Camel and Parchment.

At least I was gracious enough in my earlier response to say I couldn't comment on the Camel because I wasn't interested in it. Taking a cue from you, what I really should have said was... I thought it was a sickening yellow color. If that's a "natural" look for leather, I've missed a few episodes of National Geographic.
As a Quartz owner I am entitled to pontificate on it, aren't I?

BJ
Old 06-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Advanced

U'r right about the parchment being too light and requiring constant cleaning.

http://members.cox.net/giac4/TL/IMG_0687.JPG
Old 06-18-2004, 03:04 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by hokietl

Is that yours? I was thinking about putting wood kit in mine, but there is such a smorgesborg of wood and aluminum in there already that I probably just wont bother. Maybe the wood shifter.....but I have parchment as well and literally have dirt layers on my center console from resting my arm there. I swear I even take showers once a week!
Old 06-19-2004, 02:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NightRider
Is that yours? I was thinking about putting wood kit in mine, but there is such a smorgesborg of wood and aluminum in there already that I probably just wont bother. Maybe the wood shifter.....but I have parchment as well and literally have dirt layers on my center console from resting my arm there. I swear I even take showers once a week!

Yes Deep Green Pearl with Parchment.....wish I've gotten the Camel interior instead.
The speedo wood trim was the last add on.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:58 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by hokietl

That's EXACTLY why I got the Camel instead of the Parchment. I also think the Camel has a slightly richer look.
My ex-Accord had an Ivory leather interior and I saw the cleaning coming.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed away from the Quartz when we got our MDX, we loved the Blue and Sage exterior but the Quartz looked to gloomy gray for us. We want an inviting interior, not one that was bland. On the MDX the Quartz made the interior look cheaper.

When I went to swap in my '02 TL-S, silverw w/ebony interior, I wanted something with a richer look vs the sportier look that the Ebony had on my TL-S. The Parchment did it for us.

Do not buy a color based on what people will say when they get in your car, get what you like, you will be in it all the time.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by roadman
We stayed away from the Quartz when we got our MDX, we loved the Blue and Sage exterior but the Quartz looked to gloomy gray for us. We want an inviting interior, not one that was bland. On the MDX the Quartz made the interior look cheaper.

When I went to swap in my '02 TL-S, silverw w/ebony interior, I wanted something with a richer look vs the sportier look that the Ebony had on my TL-S. The Parchment did it for us.

Do not buy a color based on what people will say when they get in your car, get what you like, you will be in it all the time.
Good points roadman.....you and I were in a similar situation. I had a Honda Odyssey that was Silver/Quartz and an Acura RL that was Silver/Ebony and had the same observations (except I'll add that Ebony ages very rapidly and shows lots of dust and shine over time) about needing a chnage.

Where I'll take it one step further is that I've learned over the years to not get too hung up over the exterior/interior color combinations either. On paper, a Camel interior does not necessarily feel as 'right' as Quartz or Ebony with an Anthracite exterior. But I find that when you're inside the car, you can't really see the color of the exterior anyway. Excepting the side view mirrors, you have a completely independent interior feeling from the exterior feeling, so get the interior you want to live in above the thought that it might not 'match' the exterior as nicely.

BJ