Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for MT owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for MT owners.

hello, i drive a TSX however i would like to purchase a TL shift knob because i think it looks much better.

i have a few questions if someone with a manual transmission could help me answer.

how does it connect to the shift boot? i notice there is a metal piece between the knob and the boot. is this part of the knob or part of the boot? do you think i should purchase a TL boot as well in order to make it look nice and flush? another reason i dont like my TSX knob is because the boot does not sit flush with the knob. looks imcomplete.

how wide would you say that it is at its widest point? i have big hands and the TSX one is uncomfortable for me, as it is too narrow, however from pictures the TL one looks nice and fat.

finally, i dont know if this is the right place to ask, but is there anyone who has changed their knob to a after market one who has one to sell?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
I just changed mine out two nights ago with a skunk2. Ill take a pic of the stock one when I get home later.

I would highly recommend that skunk2 knob. Cant believe I didnt do this sooner
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your emphasis is on girth, then perhaps the skunk2 knob would not be best. I have it installed as well, and I don't think it is fatter than the TL standard knob, however, it may be bigger than the TSX knob (never seen one). It may be bigger then the TL knob though, I just don't remember it being bigger as I have had mine on for a while now.

The skunk2 knob is better because it is weightier thn the TL knob, so it has a more precise shifting feel, especially when coupled with the short shifter (which I also have). Now if you get the ss and the skunk2 knob, then that is the bomb! But if you want the "full feeling" in your hand, then try the standard TL shift knob by just going to a dealer and testing it. Look in the black market or ebay for a cheap TL knob, or you can list that you want one in black market.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Never used a manual TL or TSX shift knob, but I've used a Skunk2 knob before. I highly recommend it, it makes shifting much easier and it feels like more of a positive shift. From seeing pictures I think the Skunk2 knob is smaller. I've been looking for one similar to it for my car, and I found one and ALMOST coughed up $80 for it. Its just that good.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw someone selling a maven shift knob in Black market i have one that i got from the manufacturer..... I love it!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Never used a manual TL or TSX shift knob, but I've used a Skunk2 knob before. I highly recommend it, it makes shifting much easier and it feels like more of a positive shift. From seeing pictures I think the Skunk2 knob is smaller. I've been looking for one similar to it for my car, and I found one and ALMOST coughed up $80 for it. Its just that good.
DO IT...and the SS!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

to be honest, im not interested in a weighted knob. ive used them on previous cars, and i like lighter knobs better. i dunno, i feel weighted knobs as kind of clunky, and they take away some feeling from the shifter and transmission. honeslty i was looking at that spoon titanium shift knob which is like a feather, but i dont like the looks.

for some reason, all the Honda/Acura aftermarket knobs, and the TSX OEM knob are around 1 5/8" wide, Skunk2, Spoon, you name it. unless its spherical (which i dont like) they are all pretty narrow. from the pics the TL knob looks meatier, but ive never actually seen it in person.

also, does anybody know about the metal piece under the knob? i want to get the entire thing so that it looks nice and flush.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

The boot attaches to the knob by twisting the plastic clip at the top of the boot to the bottom of the shift knob. So to get the proper fit you would likely need the boot as well. You would probably have to do some fabrication to the boot that clips in in the TSX because the base of the boot in the TL is different.
I agree with you on feel though, I traded a TSX for the TL and the shift knob on the TL is definately a better feel.